Sonny Holland Game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sonny Holland Game

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:50 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 pm
That is what you get when you put your head down and attack with the crown.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 pm

RECAP - Running backs steal the show at Sonny Holland Spring Classic

https://skylinesportsmt.com/running-bac ... g-classic/

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:56 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm
Anybody know if there is a recording of the scrimmage available? YouTube or something else?
https://bigskyconf.com/sports/2015/11/1 ... igSky.aspx Has it live already.
Thanks you! Also see that SWX will re-air the game tomorrow morning!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:56 pm

360 plus on the ground against the Griz. Make it count in the red zone. This isn’t no Div 2 team.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:21 am

This has probably been answered somewhere but why was McKay in the non-contact jersey? Is he slightly banged up or did they just not want to risk injury to the presumptive starter?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:16 am

technoCat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:21 am
This has probably been answered somewhere but why was McKay in the non-contact jersey? Is he slightly banged up or did they just not want to risk injury to the presumptive starter?
Wondered the same thing... if the latter, kinda seems like a BS move IMO.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:02 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:16 am
technoCat wrote:
Seems like a really smart to move to me. Why risk your starter being injured unnecessarily? The Cats held quite a few starting players out of the game completely.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:05 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:02 pm
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Seems like a really smart to move to me. Why risk your starter being injured unnecessarily? The Cats held quite a few starting players out of the game completely.
I can see that. Mckay didn't look extremely great throwing the ball, but watching him run and move I can understand why he'll be the starter, he only has to be decently accurate to be extremely dangerous.

What i think we also need to do is give Thielen a full ride and let him know he'll be the man when McKay leaves... Thielen is going to be really good and the last thing we need is for him to transfer and end up in dark pink or some crap like that.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:14 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:05 pm
AFCAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:
I can see that. Mckay didn't look extremely great throwing the ball, but watching him run and move I can understand why he'll be the starter, he only has to be decently accurate to be extremely dangerous.

What i think we also need to do is give Thielen a full ride and let him know he'll be the man when McKay leaves... Thielen is going to be really good and the last thing we need is for him to transfer and end up in dark pink or some crap like that.
Is he going to be the man? I think Mellott has more upside and looked pretty good in the scrimmage as well. It will be interesting to see who makes fall camp in the QB room. Thelen might be QB2 by fall for all we know.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:28 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:14 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:

Is he going to be the man? I think Mellott has more upside and looked pretty good in the scrimmage as well. It will be interesting to see who makes fall camp in the QB room. Thelen might be QB2 by fall for all we know.
I thought Mellott's height hindered him in the scrimmage, his missed a couple wide open hot routes and took sacks. looked like he had trouble seeing over the line. Thelen threw an awesome ball, good timing and had better mechanics than Rovig imo. But again its my opinion (uneducated, compared to most) and that's why we come here to discuss.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:13 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:28 pm
technoCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:

I thought Mellott's height hindered him in the scrimmage, his missed a couple wide open hot routes and took sacks. looked like he had trouble seeing over the line. Thelen threw an awesome ball, good timing and had better mechanics than Rovig imo. But again its my opinion (uneducated, compared to most) and that's why we come here to discuss.
I fully expect that the coaches are looking at factors that we are not trained to watch for. For example, Mellot missed an early crossing route where he threw slightly behind the receiver. Looked like he missed the target but when I rewatched the play, it became evident that the crossing route was the second option. The first option was a quick down and out to the left sideline and the receiver was either covered or ran the wrong route. Mellot looked to his second option and made a split second decision which was really impressive for a true freshman.

As for Theilen, I think he has plenty of arm strength, but he uses too much “touch” on his deep stuff. A D1 safety can probably get over to make an break up the pass of the ball stays in the air too long. I think it is probably something that could be coached though.

Between the two, I think Mellot has greater upside due to his athleticism. I actually think he is quicker and faster than McKay. I saw McKays forty was listed at 4.72 to 4.83. I haven’t seen Mellot’s forty, but I know he was outstanding at the MSU skills camp outrunning receivers.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:27 pm

technoCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:

Actually according to some of the camp reports, Bauman is currently the #2.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm

AFCAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:
I see that, but that's assumes he's the clear cut starter (which I guess might be the case from what I'm hearing, Vigen puts a much higher premium on a dual threat QB than Choate did). I guess my point is if you're protecting one QB, why not protect them all, or at lest the ones that have a legit chance of starting in the Fall?

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:28 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:
I see that, but that's assumes he's the clear cut starter (which I guess might be the case from what I'm hearing, Vigen puts a much higher premium on a dual threat QB than Choate did). I guess my point is if you're protecting one QB, why not protect them all, or at lest the ones that have a legit chance of starting in the Fall?
My speculation is that they did that because their evaluation of McKay was mostly over but it wasn't for the rest of the QB's.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:34 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:28 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:
My speculation is that they did that because their evaluation of McKay was mostly over but it wasn't for the rest of the QB's.
Evaluation also wasn't over for the defense. You have to have unprotected QBs for them to go against. Perhaps if Williams, Andersen, O'Reilly, Benson, etc. had been suited up it may have been different. Vigen got a good look at a lot of players, which will allow him to formulate depth, which is a huge key for any football team at every position.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:05 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:27 pm
technoCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
technoCat wrote:

Actually according to some of the camp reports, Bauman is currently the #2.
I was alluding to the possibility Bauman and Rovig move on.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:43 pm

How well, in comparison to the Golden Triangle Classic, did the Sonny Holland Bowl do. Just curious. Walden, Keaster, and Erpenbach might want to know as well.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am

3-7-77 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:43 pm
How well, in comparison to the Golden Triangle Classic, did the Sonny Holland Bowl do. Just curious. Walden, Keaster, and Erpenbach might want to know as well.
Due to VERY limited attendance capacity may be an apples to oranges question.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 am

RickRund wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am
3-7-77 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:43 pm
Due to VERY limited attendance capacity may be an apples to oranges question.
I don't believe he realizes the yearly Sonny Holland game has been going on for at least 20 years and isn't really a fund raising event like the Triangle game was.