Sonny Holland Game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sonny Holland Game

Post by RickRund » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:12 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 am
RickRund wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am
3-7-77 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:43 pm
How well, in comparison to the Golden Triangle Classic, did the Sonny Holland Bowl do. Just curious. Walden, Keaster, and Erpenbach might want to know as well.
Due to VERY limited attendance capacity may be an apples to oranges question.
I don't believe he realizes the yearly Sonny Holland game has been going on for at least 20 years and isn't really a fund raising event like the Triangle game was.
You explained it much better than I could...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:59 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 am
RickRund wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am
3-7-77 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:43 pm
How well, in comparison to the Golden Triangle Classic, did the Sonny Holland Bowl do. Just curious. Walden, Keaster, and Erpenbach might want to know as well.
Due to VERY limited attendance capacity may be an apples to oranges question.
I don't believe he realizes the yearly Sonny Holland game has been going on for at least 20 years and isn't really a fund raising event like the Triangle game was.
Now I know the history of the game. Thx.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat May 01, 2021 10:50 pm

[media] [/media]

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun May 02, 2021 12:54 pm

After watching this, i have a couple of thoughts:

1. Tons of depth at QB, RB, TE, DB, and talented LB/DE

2. I like what i saw in Offensive formations.

3. Defense hustled they will be there in fall. We had some real stud power in street clothes.

4. Guys are bigger and stronger and our depth is young.

5. We have TE’s that can catch, who da thunk.

6. I like the match up man coverage i saw at times.

7. We seem business like similar to our head coach.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun May 02, 2021 1:07 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:54 pm

3. Defense hustled they will be there in fall. We had some real stud power in street clothes.

I agree with all that - and will add our O Line is going to be excellent, and deep. Probably one of the best in the FCS. So do you think we're going to be able to hang with the Griz this Fall? I'm hearing some Griz fans are concerned that there might not be much competition for them in the Big Sky, or even on their run to the national championship for that matter. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:07 pm
superbobcat wrote:

I agree with all that - and will add our O Line is going to be excellent, and deep. Probably one of the best in the FCS. So do you think we're going to be able to hang with the Griz this Fall? I'm hearing some Griz fans are concerned that there might not be much competition for them in the Big Sky, or even on their run to the national championship for that matter. :lol:
They are definitely full of themselves over there. It is good to be confident but wow...

Troy wants out because he was overused, wants to go to the griz as his only way to win a natty, Coach Sixx because he was the sixth choice, etc. Doubt they will do a full faceplant but arrogance is not a great quality...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun May 02, 2021 2:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 pm
catatac wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

They are definitely full of themselves over there. It is good to be confident but wow...

Troy wants out because he was overused, wants to go to the griz as his only way to win a natty, Coach Sixx because he was the sixth choice, etc. Doubt they will do a full faceplant but arrogance is not a great quality...
Ha ha, ya... but I'm OK with it. It makes it all the more rewarding watching the Cats take them down year after year after year after year... after year. :wink:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:50 pm

superbobcat wrote:

That's an excellent point. I hadn't considered it until you said this, but I think that may be what defines this team. Vigen seems very Tom Osborne, Bud Grant, Tom Landry, Sgt. Friday-like. He's not coming across as an attention seeker. Just doing his job. Lots of different methods out there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:09 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:50 pm
superbobcat wrote:

That's an excellent point. I hadn't considered it until you said this, but I think that may be what defines this team. Vigen seems very Tom Osborne, Bud Grant, Tom Landry, Sgt. Friday-like. He's not coming across as an attention seeker. Just doing his job. Lots of different methods out there.
First off, THANKS for posting this. I had not been able to see it, so it is great to get eyes on the team.

My impressions were similar to what others have said.

1. I thoughts the QBs did well, and each had moments, but I would say my impression was that McKay was the least impressive of the bunch. His legs are alive but his arm seems inconsistent. I thought Thielen looks the most consistent, Rovig hurt himself on the INT but knew the offense best, and I fear we lose one very good QB before fall.

2. The D will be fine but I think we need another plug on the line.

3. The RBs are great

4. And the Coaching style as mentioned above is calm and collected. Does that work better or not remains to be seen but I think the tone was "businesslike".

5. Great to see the Cats on the field again.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:32 am

Why do you think Rovig knows the offense the best?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 am

catatac wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:31 pm
RickRund wrote:
catatac wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

Ha ha, ya... but I'm OK with it. It makes it all the more rewarding watching the Cats take them down year after year after year after year... after year. :wink:
It's entertaining but sure is head scratching.

They beat an NAIA team and a team that won 3 conference games in 2019; including losing their last 4 games. And suddenly these are the favorites to win it all in 2021? :shock:

I read a comment last night saying the Griz look the most impressive because they looked way better this spring than NDSU losing to JMU. Like the competition was the same.

I see predictions of an undefeated season and many seem pretty confident they are going to roll through the confidence this fall. I've never seen so much confidence come from beating two week teams in a weird spring season. But more power to them.

Maybe the most entertaining for me is hearing how we don't have a qb. Didn't they lose a pretty decent qb since we last played? I honestly don't know who their starter is going to be, but whoever it is will have little experience, no? :-k

Well it's all fun. I enjoy the back and forth banter. :lol:

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon May 03, 2021 10:31 am

Will they have a good team this next fall- yup

Are they back to being top of the league- nope

Should the Cats still be ranked ahead of them- yup

FTG- GO CATS GO!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:31 am
Will they have a good team this next fall- yup

Are they back to being top of the league- nope

Should the Cats still be ranked ahead of them- yup
Yes, but will we??? No. Which will further inflate that huge ego, resulting in another utter meltdown again in November. Not sure i'd want it any other way... Maximum pain inflicted.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 am
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:
catatac wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

They beat an NAIA team and a team that won 3 conference games in 2019; including losing their last 4 games. And suddenly these are the favorites to win it all in 2021? :shock:

I read a comment last night saying the Griz look the most impressive because they looked way better this spring than NDSU losing to JMU. Like the competition was the same.

I see predictions of an undefeated season and many seem pretty confident they are going to roll through the confidence this fall. I've never seen so much confidence come from beating two week teams in a weird spring season. But more power to them.

Maybe the most entertaining for me is hearing how we don't have a qb. Didn't they lose a pretty decent qb since we last played? I honestly don't know who their starter is going to be, but whoever it is will have little experience, no? :-k

Lol. We got the same QB we whooped their ass with last year. They’ve arguably lost better talent than as we did. I’m not sure why they’re so confident they can easily beat us after last year, but it’ll just make it that much sweeter come fall.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon May 03, 2021 2:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 am
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:
catatac wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

Lol. We got the same QB we whooped their ass with last year. They’ve arguably lost better talent than as we did. I’m not sure why they’re so confident they can easily beat us after last year, but it’ll just make it that much sweeter come fall.
They've bolstered their O Line, and if finally looks like an O Line that Bobby used to have back in the day. Also, they've turned into dropdown U, and they have a LOT of drop down players on that roster now that look to be pretty talented. Last, they do appear to have a better attitude\culture over there where they've weeded out a lot of players that weren'100% bought in. That's one thing you'll hear ex Griz players say that have played for Bobby... he can be a demanding asshole but he does know how to motivate these kids and usually they'll run through walls for him (Or they wouldn't be on the team any more).

All that said, it all only goes so far and as long as Vigen doesn't wreck the Caddie... I still think the Cats have better overall talent and at least as good attitude\culture as what you're seeing over the hill right about now.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon May 03, 2021 4:27 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:33 pm

They've bolstered their O Line, and if finally looks like an O Line that Bobby used to have back in the day. Also, they've turned into dropdown U, and they have a LOT of drop down players on that roster now that look to be pretty talented. Last, they do appear to have a better attitude\culture over there where they've weeded out a lot of players that weren'100% bought in. That's one thing you'll hear ex Griz players say that have played for Bobby... he can be a demanding asshole but he does know how to motivate these kids and usually they'll run through walls for him (Or they wouldn't be on the team any more).

All that said, it all only goes so far and as long as Vigen doesn't wreck the Caddie... I still think the Cats have better overall talent and at least as good attitude\culture as what you're seeing over the hill right about now.
I'm not so sure about that... from what I saw, they struggled to run the ball against Central Washington.
Time will tell, we'll see what happens in the Fall.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:37 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:27 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm not so sure about that... from what I saw, they struggled to run the ball against Central Washington.
Time will tell, we'll see what happens in the Fall.
From what I was told by a good insider the Griz are a lot better depth-wise. I'm told Kris Brown is the Bobby-Hauck-QB-in-waiting. As in, he's waiting for Humphrey to fail and then he'll be inserted. Apparently this is how Hauck rolls: when he has somewhat established upper-classman he starts him and when the boosters start grumbling he puts his guy in. I'll be watching to see how that plays out.

Had UM been better depth-wise last season they could've not played Sneed and Knight against the Bobcats, and perhaps been better off. Depth is very important.

They were very QB-dependent last season. If Sneed wasn't getting it done, they were in deep trouble offensively as they couldn't bring in Humphrey. If Brown/Humphrey can offset that loss somewhat they could be good on that side of the ball. I think Brown will be starting by no later than the fourth game.

The problem that UM has that it didn't have during Hauck's first stint, and this has been pointed out numerous times on here, is that the BSC is a much better conference on top. Used to be UM and one other tough team on a rotating basis every year. Now there are almost always 4-5 tough teams every year.

I think the big part of the optimism for UM fans is their schedule. They almost automatically have eight wins. They'll almost certainly lose to UW, which isn't going to be a good PAC 12 team IMO. Then at EWU and vs MSU are the only two tough games. Win either one of those and they'll almost certainly have a co-BSC title. Weber State has a similar BSC schedule, but a tough non-conf game vs. JMU and they start with Utah. EWU has a schedule similar to MSU's, but all their tough BSC games are at home, whereas all of MSU's are on the road. This why a lot of people will be picking MSU fourth. WSU and UM will be 1-2 and EWU will be 3-4. The California coaches might bet on each other and throw that off a bit, but it'll be something like that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 04, 2021 8:07 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:37 pm

I think the big part of the optimism for UM fans is their schedule. They almost automatically have eight wins. They'll almost certainly lose to UW, which isn't going to be a good PAC 12 team IMO. Then at EWU and vs MSU are the only two tough games. Win either one of those and they'll almost certainly have a co-BSC title. Weber State has a similar BSC schedule, but a tough non-conf game vs. JMU and they start with Utah. EWU has a schedule similar to MSU's, but all their tough BSC games are at home, whereas all of MSU's are on the road. This why a lot of people will be picking MSU fourth. WSU and UM will be 1-2 and EWU will be 3-4. The California coaches might bet on each other and throw that off a bit, but it'll be something like that.
And this is exactly why the BSC has got to make a change to its scheduling format. This is wildly unbalanced, especially the EWU and MSU scenarios. The schedule should take into account where you finished the previous year and returning starters. It shouldn't be computer generated or whatever it is they're doing currently. I like that Weber has a tough FCS team scheduled, good on them, but it doesn't have any effect on the league title. I think teams should have their non-conference schedule considered when teams tie in the standings. You should be awarded for that and teams that play creme puff schedules should, then tie for first, should not be considered a league champion and should not get the nod for a playoff spot over a team that has the same league mark.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue May 04, 2021 12:18 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:07 am
TomCat88 wrote:

And this is exactly why the BSC has got to make a change to its scheduling format. This is wildly unbalanced, especially the EWU and MSU scenarios. The schedule should take into account where you finished the previous year and returning starters. It shouldn't be computer generated or whatever it is they're doing currently. I like that Weber has a tough FCS team scheduled, good on them, but it doesn't have any effect on the league title. I think teams should have their non-conference schedule considered when teams tie in the standings. You should be awarded for that and teams that play creme puff schedules should, then tie for first, should not be considered a league champion and should not get the nod for a playoff spot over a team that has the same league mark.
I hate the unbalanced schedule, it’s s*** and everybody knows it.
But I don’t know how they could possibly take into account returning starters when making a schedule, that’s not reasonable or possible in any scenario.

The conference needs less teams in it, period. Then it can be like most conferences and everybody plays everybody each year and determine a true champion.
Until then, there will be far too many co-champions and champions that are good but simply benefited from an easier schedule that year.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:18 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:07 am
TomCat88 wrote:

I hate the unbalanced schedule, it’s s*** and everybody knows it.
But I don’t know how they could possibly take into account returning starters when making a schedule, that’s not reasonable or possible in any scenario.

The conference needs less teams in it, period. Then it can be like most conferences and everybody plays everybody each year and determine a true champion.
Until then, there will be far too many co-champions and champions that are good but simply benefited from an easier schedule that year.
I think right now, as SUU exits, they need to think about playing a 9 game conference schedule. With 12 teams in the conference that would only exclude 2 teams from every team's schedule. That would help a lot and it would avoid teams missing most or all of the top 3 or 4 in the conference each year. Maybe that's not feasible but it sure would help.