Montana State spring ball 2021 - Skyline Sports

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Montana State spring ball 2021 - Skyline Sports

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:29 pm

We are a bit behind on our spring ball coverage because I had not been able to make it over to Bozeman until today. But we will have a slew of stories upcoming over the next four weeks! I will also finish the Pillars of Choate! It's been a busy March, which I can't tell you how happy I am to be busy covering sports again.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana State spring ball 2021 - Skyline Sports

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:05 am

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:52 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:05 am
#88 is DE Ben Seymour (played at that number during the 2020 fall scrimmage as well).
#96 is Ethan Bullock who is now on the defensive line after spending time at TE during the fall.
#54 is walk-on Cooper Thomas who sat out on Saturday.
#95...this number should belong to Valdez on gameday. However, during spring practices thus far, Sebastian has donned the number as well as Byron Rollins at times (you can still see his #94 shorts in the photos from Felix however). During Saturday, Chase wore #95 for some time while on the sidelines while another player wore #50 (assuming it was Valdez as he's getting reps on the interior).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:28 pm

It’s not as if veteran offensive linemen Lewis Kidd and Connor Wood don’t know how to revel in the fun of a touchdown. After all, the Bobcats scored 64 touchdowns during their run to the semifinals of the FCS Playoffs in 2019.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Cooper Thomas is an interesting player. Looks like he signed first with Columbia. I'm not sure if the griz were counting the number of those tackles though.

Last edited by AFCAT on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:18 pm

No observation or comment on QBs?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:15 pm

BroncoCat wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:18 pm
Doing a full story on the QBs later this week!

spring creek cat

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:19 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:15 pm
BroncoCat wrote:
Really!! Why would you take the most intriguing and best story of the off season and make it a feature!! 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

We demand instant gratification for free!!! 😂😂😂

BroncoCat

Post by BroncoCat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:15 pm
BroncoCat wrote:
That sounds great. I appreciate the coverage.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 am

PortlandCat90

Post by PortlandCat90 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 am
I listened to Hauck's portion of the interview - never get those 10 minutes back. Reminded me of a Biden press conference. Does the press get to ask their own questions or are they under his thumb? Nobody asked about the status of their MVP RB -not on the depth chart and rumored to be out for the season. Not one question about the perceived QB battle. Did anyone else listen and maybe I missed it?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
I listened to Hauck's portion of the interview - never get those 10 minutes back. Reminded me of a Biden press conference. Does the press get to ask their own questions or are they under his thumb? Nobody asked about the status of their MVP RB -not on the depth chart and rumored to be out for the season. Not one question about the perceived QB battle. Did anyone else listen and maybe I missed it?
I wasn't there so not a lot of real questions...I basically included this to show you how the interviews work if Skyline isn't there...

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:48 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
I wasn't there so not a lot of real questions...I basically included this to show you how the interviews work if Skyline isn't there...
I'm not going to listen to a Bobbie press conference but I will say that you can definitely tell when Colter is taking part. You get a bunch of generic questions from the J school manual and then when it's Colter's turn you get a football conversation.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:09 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:48 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
I'm not going to listen to a Bobbie press conference but I will say that you can definitely tell when Colter is taking part. You get a bunch of generic questions from the J school manual and then when it's Colter's turn you get a football conversation.
Based on Bobby’s past history, they might be afraid to upset Bobby and get banned from future press conferences.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:06 pm

After his first spring practice leading #MSUBobcatsFB, Brent Vigen addressed implementation of new schemes, QBs, OL and more:

Montana State football - Brent Vigen, open of spring football
https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-sta ... -practice/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:37 pm

While 1st round of NFL Draft winds down, catch up with all entries from around Big Sky Conference in football, women's & men's basketball and more into NCAA Transfer Portal in 2021 -

Big Sky entries into NCAA Transfer Portal
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-con ... er-portal/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon May 03, 2021 12:29 pm

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon May 03, 2021 1:54 pm

I like many people miss the fire and emotion that Coach Choate presented in the interviews. It has taken a little time to get use to the toned down version we see now. Friends told me that we are going from one end of the spectrum to the other as far as coaches communication styles!

As a small town football coach, I was a rah rah high emotion guy. Some of the big playoff losses my teams went through all came from teams coached by fellas who were controlled, well thought, and rather quiet. While I admired the style, it just didn't work for me. However, I often time reflect and wonder if a little more calm and less rah rah wouldn't have led to better decisions in some key situations?

I think there is place for both styles, in all aspects of coaching. I hope our team has been built well enough that the players themselves and assistant coaches can do the motivating and Coach Vigen can guide the ship in a calm and business like manner. The only complaint I have heard is that he lacks emotion and I am sure that it is a drastic change for players compared to what they have been going through the last few years. I have heard him referred to as the quiet Mad Scientist.

I believe Coach Vigen is very comfortable in his own skin and will be very successful. I am anxious to see how he manages a game. So far, I like what I see. Sounds dumb, but my favorite thing I saw in Spring ball was the I backs formation with the fullback and a deeply placed TB! NDSU was very successful from this formation, over the years, I hope we will be too!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:54 pm
I like many people miss the fire and emotion that Coach Choate presented in the interviews. It has taken a little time to get use to the toned down version we see now. Friends told me that we are going from one end of the spectrum to the other as far as coaches communication styles!

As a small town football coach, I was a rah rah high emotion guy. Some of the big playoff losses my teams went through all came from teams coached by fellas who were controlled, well thought, and rather quiet. While I admired the style, it just didn't work for me. However, I often time reflect and wonder if a little more calm and less rah rah wouldn't have led to better decisions in some key situations?

I think there is place for both styles, in all aspects of coaching. I hope our team has been built well enough that the players themselves and assistant coaches can do the motivating and Coach Vigen can guide the ship in a calm and business like manner. The only complaint I have heard is that he lacks emotion and I am sure that it is a drastic change for players compared to what they have been going through the last few years. I have heard him referred to as the quiet Mad Scientist.

I believe Coach Vigen is very comfortable in his own skin and will be very successful. I am anxious to see how he manages a game. So far, I like what I see. Sounds dumb, but my favorite thing I saw in Spring ball was the I backs formation with the fullback and a deeply placed TB! NDSU was very successful from this formation, over the years, I hope we will be too!
I agree, and the rah rah cheerleader style versus calm and cool, reserved style can absolutely both be very effective. IMO the most important component here regardless of styles... is whether or not every single player is giving their all, 100% effort, 100% of the time in every thing they do. Again, there are different approaches coaches use to implement this culture. Choate had his teams where they needed to be, so as long as we don't see ay complacency seep into the program I think we'll be pretty damn good for a long time. The other thing we saw from Choate's teams, especially in the last couple years is that they literally got better as the season got into November and December, and usually the teams got better from beginning to end on a game to game basis. I have no idea how he was able to do that consistently, but hopefully Vigen is able to succeed there as well. We're certainly going to need to be playing our best football of the season to get through the end of the season successfully and in a position to win the Big Sky.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue May 04, 2021 3:53 pm

Breaking news out of #MSUBobcatsFB today: Veteran assistant Robertson leaving Montana State football
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bjrobertsonleavingmsu/

MSU is expected to confirm Robertson's departure later this afternoon.