What are the odds of Troy making it to the NFL?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Merlin
BobcatNation Redshirt

What are the odds of Troy making it to the NFL?

Post by Merlin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:33 am

What are the odds of Troy making it to the NFL on defense as a linebacker? Would he have better chances as a wide receiver like Cooper Kupp? I am asking since Dante Olson just got signed with the CFL.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: What are the odds of Troy making it to the NFL?

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:17 am

Merlin wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:33 am
What are the odds of Troy making it to the NFL on defense as a linebacker? Would he have better chances as a wide receiver like Cooper Kupp? I am asking since Dante Olson just got signed with the CFL.
I can understand the reservations about him making it as a linebacker because Olson couldn't, but to suggest he can just pick up the WR position simply because he's athletic is a little disrespectful to that position. Cooper Kupp isn't great at WR just because he's athletic, he's also great because he put in years and years of practice in running routes, high-pointing balls, studying defensive backs, etc. TA is athletic enough to play just about any position in the FCS, but great athleticism alone doesn't set you apart in the NFL.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 am

Unless he wins a couple national awards he probably won't get a combine invite next year (assuming the combine is back by then). I wonder if Wyoming would invite him to their pro day. That would greatly increase his chances of making it to the NFL. I don't think the MSU pro days have had the greatest attendance in the past so if he's relying on that it could hurt his chances.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:32 am

My guess is at best he signs a UDFA. Bounces around. Then comes home and takes care of the ranch. Haha.

Hating the griz since 02.

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:21 am

I’m going to say 100% chance going to NFL..as linebacker maybe 50-60%. Too smart and too athletic not to get a roster spot. Also, Troy Andersen is 10x the player than Dante.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:39 am

LoggerCat wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:21 am
I’m going to say 100% chance going to NFL..as linebacker maybe 50-60%. Too smart and too athletic not to get a roster spot. Also, Troy Andersen is 10x the player than Dante.
Agreed. His speed and lack of fear makes him an exceptional member of a special team, defense or offense.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:06 am

Making an NFL roster has proven to be extremely difficult. I certainly think he has the measurables and tools to make one, but I think his chances are 50/50. His injuries will be evaluated heavily.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:30 am

I am very confident he will make it to the league if he wants to. I assume he does, but I don't know that for sure. I'm confident enough, I will bet money to anyone on here that thinks he won't play in the NFL.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:18 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 am
Unless he wins a couple national awards he probably won't get a combine invite next year (assuming the combine is back by then). I wonder if Wyoming would invite him to their pro day. That would greatly increase his chances of making it to the NFL. I don't think the MSU pro days have had the greatest attendance in the past so if he's relying on that it could hurt his chances.
100% sure he will get an invite to the combine. FCS with far fewer accolades and less measurables have been invited in the past.

BobcANON
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcANON » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Barring catastrophic injury this coming season Troy will most certainly be in an NFL training camp. His name is on every team's draft board, guaranteed. Once in camp he'll have to prove daily that he's a worthy investment just like 75% of the current NFL players do. He is SEC level athletic talent and all 32 scouting departments know it.

"Ever feel like you're at a knife fight wielding a d*ill doe made out of American cheese?" - Griz Nation

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:41 pm

100% on an NFL team if he wants to.

He will be invited to the Senior Bowl. He will test exceedingly well. He will play well. He will go to the combine.

He absolutely will be drafted, as long as he stays relatively healthy and wants to play past college.

I mean, are you kidding me? He’s 6’3 230, will run in the 4.5’s, is smart, and can play in coverage as a LB. That’s exactly what the NFL is looking for.

BobcANON
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcANON » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:53 pm

I'm kinda new here but why is TA not a TE?? Can he not catch? Troy is 2 out of 3 bigger, stronger, or faster than most NFL TEs. His YAC would be freakin ridiculous. There's hundreds of guys that can play LB... the kid is too much of a weapon to not be lighting up scoreboards.

"Ever feel like you're at a knife fight wielding a d*ill doe made out of American cheese?" - Griz Nation

saintcat40
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by saintcat40 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:00 pm

Why is this even a debate? If you can’t believe your own eyeballs, can you believe the experts? Do we not believe Choate when he said that TA is the best football player he has ever coached? Do we not remember when Colter said that the NFL scouts at the Griz game were glued to the TV watching the Cat game because they wanted to watch Troy? Why is this even a debate?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 pm

BobcANON wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:53 pm
I'm kinda new here but why is TA not a TE?? Can he not catch? Troy is 2 out of 3 bigger, stronger, or faster than most NFL TEs. His YAC would be freakin ridiculous. There's hundreds of guys that can play LB... the kid is too much of a weapon to not be lighting up scoreboards.
Because if he’s going to play offense, that might be the least impactful place he could play and excel at, at least in college.

There’s an argument that he could be an H-Back in the NFL, but playing him at TE in college would be a waste.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:07 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 pm
BobcANON wrote:
Because if he’s going to play offense, that might be the least impactful place he could play and excel at, at least in college.

There’s an argument that he could be an H-Back in the NFL, but playing him at TE in college would be a waste.
He’s WAY undersized for TE-even at FCS. And we have no idea what his footwork or receiving skills look like...not to mention his ability to block DEs or DTs.

Plus, the Cats haven’t had a QB that could get the ball to our WRs, let alone get to his 3rd or 4th read TE until halfway through last season.

I think he could probably be a very capable TE, but not a game changer like he is at RB & LB.

I’m intrigued to see what he can do. Zero doubt he’s drafted...better than 50-50 he makes a roster...maybe a 15-25% chance he’s a starter or in the normal rotation.

Someone mentioned kick/punt coverage earlier...Troy would be a wrecking ball plus he could be a situational player at his primary position.

So, yeah. He makes the NFL...I’m super intrigued to see where he ends up.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:07 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
BobcANON wrote:

He’s WAY undersized for TE-even at FCS. And we have no idea what his footwork or receiving skills look like...not to mention his ability to block DEs or DTs.

Plus, the Cats haven’t had a QB that could get the ball to our WRs, let alone get to his 3rd or 4th read TE until halfway through last season.

I think he could probably be a very capable TE, but not a game changer like he is at RB & LB.

I’m intrigued to see what he can do. Zero doubt he’s drafted...better than 50-50 he makes a roster...maybe a 15-25% chance he’s a starter or in the normal rotation.

Someone mentioned kick/punt coverage earlier...Troy would be a wrecking ball plus he could be a situational player at his primary position.

On the bolded part above, say what??? Ryan Davis is 6'3" 265. He's our biggest TE. Lonergan is 6'4" 230, probably 250 in a year or 2. TA is 6'4" 235. The average NFL TE is 6'4" 255. I don't think size would be a problem.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:35 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 pm
onceacat wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:07 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
BobcANON wrote:

On the bolded part above, say what??? Ryan Davis is 6'3" 265. He's our biggest TE. Lonergan is 6'4" 230, probably 250 in a year or 2. TA is 6'4" 235. The average NFL TE is 6'4" 255. I don't think size would be a problem.
He would be scary at tight end or slot. He would decimate the linebacker against him and would out run anyone near his size. His route running would be the question, I know he would catch anything thrown his way. Stupid question.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:41 pm

He will be invited to the Senior Bowl. He will test exceedingly well. He will play well. He will go to the combine.

He absolutely will be drafted, as long as he stays relatively healthy and wants to play past college.

I mean, are you kidding me? He’s 6’3 230, will run in the 4.5’s, is smart, and can play in coverage as a LB. That’s exactly what the NFL is looking for.
I would imagine a team would use a 6th or 7th round pick. There are a ton of "project" draft picks. Get him into camp and figure out where he can play. In the meantime you have a solid SP player.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:36 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:41 pm

I would imagine a team would use a 6th or 7th round pick. There are a ton of "project" draft picks. Get him into camp and figure out where he can play. In the meantime you have a solid SP player.
I honestly think his floor is the 5th round.