2022 Recruiting (35 commits, 1 gray shirt to 2023)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2022 Recruiting (2 commits)

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:21 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 pm

I have been very impressed with the talent level of the recruits that this new staff is going after. Now we just have to land them. We were spoiled under Choate, because if the recruit was on the radar, we usually landed them. It will be interesting to see if Vigen and staff can continue to bring home the goods!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:02 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 pm
I have been very impressed with the talent level of the recruits that this new staff is going after. Now we just have to land them. We were spoiled under Choate, because if the recruit was on the radar, we usually landed them. It will be interesting to see if Vigen and staff can continue to bring home the goods!
I haven't seen anything that researches this in-depth, but it might be a good year for just about everyone in the FCS, but I expect quality over quantity as many schools have players that are still on scholarship that normally wouldn't be. I say this because there aren't a lot of scholarships relative to typical years due to the ability of some players to get an extra year. I'm not sure just what percentage of players are taking advantage of this, but my assumption is that it's pretty high. This class (2021-22) is bearing the brunt of the Covid impact on shortened season/recruiting. Top end FCS schools like MSU and UM should be able to land a few players that normally would've signed at the FBS level.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:39 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:02 pm
superbobcat wrote:
I haven't seen anything that researches this in-depth, but it might be a good year for just about everyone in the FCS, but I expect quality over quantity as many schools have players that are still on scholarship that normally wouldn't be. I say this because there aren't a lot of scholarships relative to typical years due to the ability of some players to get an extra year. I'm not sure just what percentage of players are taking advantage of this, but my assumption is that it's pretty high. This class (2021-22) is bearing the brunt of the Covid impact on shortened season/recruiting. Top end FCS schools like MSU and UM should be able to land a few players that normally would've signed at the FBS level.
The only thing I saw under Choate, was that we seem to be getting deeper in the ones and twos and threes. It seemed like we were actually getting deeper than we had been in the past

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:00 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:39 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
The only thing I saw under Choate, was that we seem to be getting deeper in the ones and twos and threes. It seemed like we were actually getting deeper than we had been in the past
I'm just saying that with the extension of years you can play due to Covid there is a now a shortage of scholarships. Wasn't talking about the team's depth, but how deep someone may have gone to research just what effect the six-to-play-five-rule (or whatever it's called) is having on recruiting.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:15 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:00 pm
Montanabob wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
I'm just saying that with the extension of years you can play due to Covid there is a now a shortage of scholarships. Wasn't talking about the team's depth, but how deep someone may have gone to research just what effect the six-to-play-five-rule (or whatever it's called) is having on recruiting.
Help me with your comment on “shortage of scholarships”. Actually you have the same number of scholarships normally allowed by rules PLUS you have added scholarships for those kids wanting to extend their playing career because of the Covid year. In other words for 2021 season, the scholarship limitations are modified to add to accommodate kids playing the extra year.

The only challenge I see is schools funding the extra year of eligibility scholarships….which I am sure boosters will be asked to fund.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:14 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:15 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Help me with your comment on “shortage of scholarships”. Actually you have the same number of scholarships normally allowed by rules PLUS you have added scholarships for those kids wanting to extend their playing career because of the Covid year. In other words for 2021 season, the scholarship limitations are modified to add to accommodate kids playing the extra year.

The only challenge I see is schools funding the extra year of eligibility scholarships….which I am sure boosters will be asked to fund.
They (NCAA) added scholarships due to Covid? I thought they just gave players an extra year of eligibility and the scholarship limit for football was still 63.

toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:32 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:14 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

They (NCAA) added scholarships due to Covid? I thought they just gave players an extra year of eligibility and the scholarship limit for football was still 63.
https://www.king5.com/amp/article/news/ ... db9200af2e

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:07 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:32 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

That's what I thought. Honestly, I haven't boned up on this issue much. Like that sub-head says, "The NCAA's decision not to dock a year of eligibility is good for current college athletes but may be tough for high school seniors trying to get in." That article is almost a year old, so I'm wondering if that's still true now. If so, it's a crummy deal for HS seniors. Like isn't always fair.

toM StUber

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:46 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:07 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

That's what I thought. Honestly, I haven't boned up on this issue much. Like that sub-head says, "The NCAA's decision not to dock a year of eligibility is good for current college athletes but may be tough for high school seniors trying to get in." That article is almost a year old, so I'm wondering if that's still true now. If so, it's a crummy deal for HS seniors. Like isn't always fair.
As of right now, still on. You can have significantly more players than 63 under scholarship as long as you can fund it. But as noted you have two years to sort it out…I.e. you can be over 63 this year but by the following year you have to be back in line. So for this years crop of HS seniors coaches could opt to proceed as usual but they better have a two year plan to get roster back in line next year.

Conferences or schools can opt out of allowing extra year of eligibility also. Example, Ivy League opted not to grant an extra year of eligibility…..but in February they reversed direction and are now going to follow most others.

I think the transfer portal changes will have equally significant impact on HS seniors. That’s not all bad. More HS kid might opt for D2 or JC and develop further before moving to D1 school. I can see colleges taking a much stronger approach on focusing on transfer portal vs. HS recruiting. I think a blended approach is needed but I can see programs taking a different method.

Edit: remember basketball coaches will need to navigate this scenario also. I think I recall Coach Sprinkle saying our returning senior scholarships have been funded for this year which is good. I trust he is looking ahead to managing forward year also…I am sure he is on top of it.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:44 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:07 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

Here's an article from Grand Valley and how they're explaining the eligibility on into the 2022 season. Don't feel like posting a bunch of other links but it's my understanding the increased roster size is going to still be larger than the pre-pandemic NCAA restrictions.

It's my hope, for what it's worth, that FCOA become a part of the requirements as to what constitutes a scholarship as we come out of this. I've never been able to reconcile why small college programs were able to get away with offering partial scolarships.

https://lanthorn.com/81318/sports/under ... xtensions/

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2022 Recruiting (4* commits)

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am
Good get for Griz, I was hoping we’d land him.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:13 am

AFCAT wrote:
Currently #4 recruit in the state on my in-state preseason ranking for 2022 Montana Recruits. Tons of raw arm talent with Kaden as well as solid athleticism to boot. He can throw off platform and still maintain accuracy. 2nd-Team AA All-State his junior season but is slated to have a big senior year. He's the first domino to fall in terms of the top recruits in the state.

For Bobcat commits, Rylan Schlepp is #7 while Burke Mastel is #12 on my preseason list. Final list will be posted prior to fall season starting. I have fallen VERY behind on posting in-state recruit content but have not fallen behind on tracking. I promise you all that I will get content onto the board sooner than later!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:13 am
AFCAT wrote:
Currently #4 recruit in the state on my in-state preseason ranking for 2022 Montana Recruits. Tons of raw arm talent with Kaden as well as solid athleticism to boot. He can throw off platform and still maintain accuracy. 2nd-Team AA All-State his junior season but is slated to have a big senior year. He's the first domino to fall in terms of the top recruits in the state.

For Bobcat commits, Rylan Schlepp is #7 while Burke Mastel is #12 on my preseason list. Final list will be posted prior to fall season starting. I have fallen VERY behind on posting in-state recruit content but have not fallen behind on tracking. I promise you all that I will get content onto the board sooner than later!
Thanks VIM! Do you have your current top 3 figured out yet to share, or are we just waiting until you post the full list.....

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:37 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:13 am
AFCAT wrote:

Thanks VIM! Do you have your current top 3 figured out yet to share, or are we just waiting until you post the full list.....
Top 10:

1.) Taco Dowler (Billings West) - 5'10", 165 lbs. - WR/CB/ATH
2.) Zac Crews (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'4", 195 lbs. - TE/DE/OLB
3.) Caden Dowler (Billings West) - 6'0", 195 lbs. - S
4.) Kaden Huot (Helena High) - 6'4", 200 lbs. - QB
5.) Malikye Simpson (Billings Senior) - 5'10", 165 lbs. - WR/CB/ATH
6.) Marcus Evans (Helena High) - 6'0", 205 lbs. - RB/LB
7.) Rylan Schlepp (Bozeman Gallatin) - 6'4", 220 lbs. - TE/DE
8.) Jake Rendina (Kalispell Glacier) - 5'11", 230 lbs. - RB
9.) Charlie Kirgan (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'0", 210 lbs. - FB/DE
10.) Ethan Abbott (Florence) - 6'4", 275 lbs. - OL/DL

Taco falls somewhere in between Gabe Sulser and Jace Klucewich in terms of talent (great company to be in). If Zac Crews was about 25 lbs. bigger, he would be the clear #1 and likely already scooped up by a FBS program. Caden is a rock solid safety prospect. Kaden was discussed above. Malikye is very, very fast. Marcus has a ton of great instincts as a linebacker that should make him a multi-year starter at the next level. Rylan has length for days and gives coaches a bunch to work with as an offensive threat or a future rush end. Jake is a bowling ball as a runner which makes up for his lack of speed...he's easily a power back at the FCS level but may not get a scholarship offer (military academies want him). Charlie Kirgan is being terribly underrecruited and hopefully another stellar season gets him a scholarship offer from the UM or MSU (I'll be flabbergasted if he only gets NAIA offers). Ethan has the best measurables as a future offensive or defensive lineman at the next level (he's also a monster on tape).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:52 pm

The Dowler twins are the two I'm most curious about - I expect Crews to commit to UM in the coming days/weeks

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:21 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:52 pm
The Dowler twins are the two I'm most curious about - I expect Crews to commit to UM in the coming days/weeks
The Dowler twins make-or-break the state recruiting battle. Its likely a packaged deal and that deal contains two potential multi-year starters.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:26 pm

AFCAT wrote:
POOP. that sucks, I was hoping to land Kaden and have another Helenan on the team. Good luck to him!

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:50 am

Ouch, I was really hoping this kid would be in blue and gold. Someone told me we had a good shot at him, but must have been ill-informed. Good luck to him!