Is Saban right?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Is Saban right?

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:40 pm

I picked this up from another website where Nick Saban was talking about "good defense, good run game, and excellent kick return coverage". What do you think?

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Is Saban right?

Post by spring creek cat » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:05 am

I think he is definitely right! Mostly because of rule changes. The new rules, right or wrong, have taken the extreme physical aspect out of the game for the defense. You can’t touch a quarterback anymore, you can’t “light up” a receiver going across the middle. You add that to the new rpo schemes on offense it makes it very difficult to stop offenses. I think he is spot on in that if you can hold an offense to under 21 points you have done a great job on defense, but you better be able to score in today’s game!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:33 am

Of course he’s right. That’s why coaches like Saban are the best. They’re able to self reflect, adjust, adapt, and win.

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:51 am

No question.

AKCat1

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:39 pm

I asked the question knowing that Choate preached the opposite. The old school version of run, control the clock, special teams and dominant D...leading to "dragging them into the deep in"! I for one am a believer in that old school version, but appreciate the fact the game has changed. So, the question is was Cramsey and Stitt prophetic and is that the direction Coach V is headed?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:49 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:39 pm
I asked the question knowing that Choate preached the opposite. The old school version of run, control the clock, special teams and dominant D...leading to "dragging them into the deep in"! I for one am a believer in that old school version, but appreciate the fact the game has changed. So, the question is was Cramsey and Stitt prophetic and is that the direction Coach V is headed?
Were Cramsey and Stitt prophetic? Lol no.

Goodness sakes. There’s middle ground people. Alabama wins bc they’re very physical, they don’t make many mistakes, and because they recruit the best players in the nation. They don’t win because of their defense, but their defense is still very good.

Saban (actually Sarkisian) used a ton of RPO stuff this past year. It’s basically the modern day ball control offense.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:21 pm

The offenses have flourished because of the rules changes that are punitive to defenses. The face mask is more of a weapon than a piece of protective gear. Get rid of the face mask and defenses will once again be a thing.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:12 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:49 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Were Cramsey and Stitt prophetic? Lol no.

Goodness sakes. There’s middle ground people. Alabama wins bc they’re very physical, they don’t make many mistakes, and because they recruit the best players in the nation. They don’t win because of their defense, but their defense is still very good.

Saban (actually Sarkisian) used a ton of RPO stuff this past year. It’s basically the modern day ball control offense.
Cramsey was innovative at least and somewhat ahead of the curve. Stitt thought he could win in FCS with no tight ends and an emphasis on fly sweeps yet Griz fans were thrilled when he was hired.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Choate may have enjoyed leaning on the run game but I don’t think 33 points per game and averaging 490 yards a game is exactly old school.

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:53 am

catsrback76 wrote:
“Stitt Happens”. Well, Stitt certainly happened. Guy is a genius.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:54 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Choate may have enjoyed leaning on the run game but I don’t think 33 points per game and averaging 490 yards a game is exactly old school.
Ya, agree. Choate said a few times, you can have an explosive offense without going 5 wide and airing it out 90% of the time. You can have explosive plays all designed around the run game, short passes, etc. That's exactly what we had, and do have.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:44 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:53 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Stitt was 5-1 to start the 2016 season. He was coming off a playoff season and a win over NDSU at home. UM had just beaten Miss. Valley and SAC 67-7 and 68-7 on consecutive weeks. At that point he was 13-6 overall at UM with an 8-3 mark in the BSC. He then went 8-8 over the last half of 2016 (1-4) and in 2017 (7-4) and 6-7 in the BSC. Two of those wins vs. Valpo and Savannah St. another vs. ISU (2-7 at the time) and another vs. No. Colorado (2-7 at the time). Lost two games to MSU, which was 3-7 going into the first game and 4-6 going into the second game.

Yes, Stitt certainly happened.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:24 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:44 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:53 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Stitt was 5-1 to start the 2016 season. He was coming off a playoff season and a win over NDSU at home. UM had just beaten Miss. Valley and SAC 67-7 and 68-7 on consecutive weeks. At that point he was 13-6 overall at UM with an 8-3 mark in the BSC. He then went 8-8 over the last half of 2016 (1-4) and in 2017 (7-4) and 6-7 in the BSC. Two of those wins vs. Valpo and Savannah St. another vs. ISU (2-7 at the time) and another vs. No. Colorado (2-7 at the time). Lost two games to MSU, which was 3-7 going into the first game and 4-6 going into the second game.

Yes, Stitt certainly happened.
Stint was an egotistical know-it-all that got some real humble pie handed to him over the last half of 2016 and 2017. Not sure if it helped him become a better coach, or if he will never be able to recover his career....but he must have learned something through the experience. But a “genius”???? Only in his own mind :roll:

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:43 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Did Choate preach the opposite? Are you quite sure of that? He brought in the last offensive coordinator who was supposed to bring different elements to the offense. Realizing that he had to do more than just run for power. Bringing spread elements. Which in the video you posted, Saban mentions when they brought Lane in. Kiffen brought in elements that weren't just about running the football. That was the segue to what Saban is talking about and that they did even more of with Sark. So I would argue Choate was realizing the same thing Saban talks about.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 am

lutecat wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:43 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Did Choate preach the opposite? Are you quite sure of that? He brought in the last offensive coordinator who was supposed to bring different elements to the offense. Realizing that he had to do more than just run for power. Bringing spread elements. Which in the video you posted, Saban mentions when they brought Lane in. Kiffen brought in elements that weren't just about running the football. That was the segue to what Saban is talking about and that they did even more of with Sark. So I would argue Choate was realizing the same thing Saban talks about.
I think you're right and I believe it was probably more to do with Miller influencing the Offensive directions and Choate stepping back and more into HC mode. I just remember Choate was a walking, talking, run, stop the run, TOP, good D guy ( who isn't ) but he prided himself and being known in my view as someone who at least preached that sermon.