Transition

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Re: Transition

Post by CodyCat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:17 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:32 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:53 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:01 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:02 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:49 pm
Choate is proof that quitting while you're on top is the best way to be remembered. If Ash moved on after the 2013 season he'd be remembered in a whole different light than he is, which produced 3 straight Big Sky titles and saw us go 21-3 in league play in those same 3 years.
You've hit the nail on the head. The converse is proof too - Ash was the all-time winningest coach, and will be remembered for his last two seasons. Choate was a .500 coach through 4 years here and will be remembered by a quarterfinal run (and the Cat Griz record). Neither is probably 100% fair to the achievements of either man.
The only reason Choate was a .500 coach here is because Ash left it in such a bad place.

Ash did well, and then he fell of the edge at such a rapid pace that it makes you question how he got to the proverbial top in the first place.
Well, that and Choate couldn't apparently tell a quality Div I QB from a fence post.
And yet, they do exist on the roster currently. Nothing short of a miracle.
Fence posts? :lol:

Hating the griz since 02.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:06 am

CelticCat wrote:
Choate is proof that quitting while you're on top is the best way to be remembered. If Ash moved on after the 2013 season he'd be remembered in a whole different light than he is, which produced 3 straight Big Sky titles and saw us go 21-3 in league play in those same 3 years.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:06 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:06 am
CelticCat wrote:
Jeff Choate is... The Batman!

He didn't want to be an FCS head coach for the rest of his life so he moved on and allowed Brent Vigen to take up his mantle. Is he up to it?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

imacat

Post by imacat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
You've hit the nail on the head. The converse is proof too - Ash was the all-time winningest coach, and will be remembered for his last two seasons. Choate was a .500 coach through 4 years here and will be remembered by a quarterfinal run (and the Cat Griz record). Neither is probably 100% fair to the achievements of either man.
The only reason Choate was a .500 coach here is because Ash left it in such a bad place.

Ash did well, and then he fell of the edge at such a rapid pace that it makes you question how he got to the proverbial top in the first place.
The issues Choate inherited pale in comparison to the train wreck that welcomed Ash.

I will always be grateful for the job Coach Ash did in building (rebuilding) a football PROGRAM I could be proud of.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 pm

imacat wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

The issues Choate inherited pale in comparison to the train wreck that welcomed Ash.

I will always be grateful for the job Coach Ash did in building (rebuilding) a football PROGRAM I could be proud of.
Yes and no.

Ash arguably inherited a more talented roster. There were some non talent related issues that he did a good job handling. Never said otherwise. Talent wise though, he left the job worse than he found it.

imacat

Post by imacat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:17 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 pm
imacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Yes and no.

Ash arguably inherited a more talented roster. There were some non talent related issues that he did a good job handling. Never said otherwise. Talent wise though, he left the job worse than he found it.
I am not talking about talent ... or even the W-L loss record. Among numerous other things, I found it very disturbing to see my Montana State Bobcats under NCAA sanctions for poor academic performance.
Last edited by imacat on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:20 am

imacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I'll second that.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:20 am
imacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I'll second that.
Rob Ash was a good and decent man and he did some great things for MSU a football. I do agree that he had lost control the last few years and his teams seemed to fade as the year went on. So at the time, I was not shocked he was let go and I was not against that decision. But I am also extremely grateful how he rebuilt the image of MSU and Bobcat football. As others have said, he was the right guy at the time he was hired. I believe Choate was the right guy when he was hired. I am very hopeful that Vigen is the right guy now.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 am
84CatGrad wrote:
imacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I'll second that.
Rob Ash was a good and decent man and he did some great things for MSU a football. I do agree that he had lost control the last few years and his teams seemed to fade as the year went on. So at the time, I was not shocked he was let go and I was not against that decision. But I am also extremely grateful how he rebuilt the image of MSU and Bobcat football. As others have said, he was the right guy at the time he was hired. I believe Choate was the right guy when he was hired. I am very hopeful that Vigen is the right guy now.
Well said! Great post!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 am
84CatGrad wrote:
imacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I'll second that.
Well said! Great post!
Dilly Dilly