2021 spring ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2021 spring ball

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:47 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:56 pm
Did they change? Or, is that the systems they have both come from. Curious on thoughts on if it's easier for a coach too change to match roster or slowly change roster to fit scheme.
Assuming you're responding to my previous post, I'm asking if they explained why they changed the team's base defense. I assume it's what Banks came from. I just don't remember if anyone has outright asked them why they changed, with your last sentence as a follow up.
Because you don’t hire a coach to run a scheme they don’t want to run/aren’t as familiar with.
I, and everyone else, understands that. I'm just wondering if anyone asked them why they think it's better than what we were doing before they got here. Vigen has never coached defense in his life. Why did he think changing the defense was best for the team (implied based on who he hired as DC)? He has to have enough connections to be able to find a DC that would keep the same base defense if he wanted to.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Did they change? Or, is that the systems they have both come from. Curious on thoughts on if it's easier for a coach too change to match roster or slowly change roster to fit scheme.
Assuming you're responding to my previous post, I'm asking if they explained why they changed the team's base defense. I assume it's what Banks came from. I just don't remember if anyone has outright asked them why they changed, with your last sentence as a follow up.
Because you don’t hire a coach to run a scheme they don’t want to run/aren’t as familiar with.
I, and everyone else, understands that. I'm just wondering if anyone asked them why they think it's better than what we were doing before they got here. Vigen has never coached defense in his life. Why did he think changing the defense was best for the team (implied based on who he hired as DC)? He has to have enough connections to be able to find a DC that would keep the same base defense if he wanted to.
I would surmise a couple reasons.

1) He knows Banks a little, and people he knows, know Banks and like him. He runs a similar defense as the DC’s that Vigen has been around.

2) Does it matter that Vigen has never coached defense? He’s been preparing against defenses for most of his coaching career. I would imagine he knows more about defense than every single person here. That also means that he knows which defenses he thinks are easier/harder to prepare against.

3) 4-3/3-4 is a little overrated of a topic. What matters more is what they play the majority of. Are they going to be in their base package, nickel, dime, etc, etc. Even then, scheme doesn’t matter as much as how well the coaches can teach it. That’s why I’m a big proponent for KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. Let your players think less, play fast.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:20 pm

I’ll be honest.

I liked the physicality, the aggressive nature of the players on defense, but I didn’t care much for the scheme that Choate ran. A lot of soft zone coverage, waiting for an opponent to make a mistake. I have always liked aggressive man coverage better. Like Mike Zimmer. That guy runs a nasty defense. That’s just my opinion though. There’s a lot of good defensive schemes out there, we all have preferences though.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 pm

Wooo Hoo!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:33 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 pm
Wooo Hoo!

This would be a major step forward.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:49 pm

coloradocat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
I was referring to you. Phrased my response poorly. My point is that as coaches they are probably not changing but I am not sure what Bank's ran in the past. My last part was more of an open question to those with more knowledge

Sports is not bigger than life

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm

imacat wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:33 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 pm
Wooo Hoo!

This would be a major step forward.
I think I heard a few past coaches say they want to get.the tight ends more involved and I'm still waiting. Two TE's in the game adds to the run game. And if you actually pass to them, that frees up wr for td's.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:08 pm

It's OK there are plans for an increased passing game, that people are excited for an improved receiver corp or that tight ends are expected to see more action in a passing game, but anyone still concerned about having a QB to complete passes to everyone? A little concerned that McKay, supposedly leading the QB battle is - according to Vigen - still needing to develop as a passer. Rovig last year was somewhere just above or just below serviceable as a passer. Have to be an improvement in whoever is throwing the ball to actually say you're going to lean more on the passing game.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:05 am

KittieKop wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:08 pm
It's OK there are plans for an increased passing game, that people are excited for an improved receiver corp or that tight ends are expected to see more action in a passing game, but anyone still concerned about having a QB to complete passes to everyone? A little concerned that McKay, supposedly leading the QB battle is - according to Vigen - still needing to develop as a passer. Rovig last year was somewhere just above or just below serviceable as a passer. Have to be an improvement in whoever is throwing the ball to actually say you're going to lean more on the passing game.
I believe Vigen has a different standard of what a good QB looks like and plays like when compared to Choate. Vigen puts QBs into the NFL, so him saying a guy needs to develop more as a passer should be taken in that context imo.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 am

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/bi ... tana-state

John Miller has another 4.5 months to learn how to pronounce Ifanse. [-X

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:39 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 am
https://www.montanasports.com/sports/bi ... tana-state

John Miller has another 4.5 months to learn how to pronounce Ifanse. [-X
Yeah, if you are going to interview someone, learn how to pronounce their name correctly. Still isn't as bad as this one though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am

KittieKop wrote:
McKay is already better than Rovig as a passer. And of course he still needs to develop. You aren’t going to have a coach that says, “he’s a finished product. Nothing more I can do for him.”

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:33 pm

CatBot wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:05 am
KittieKop wrote:
I believe Vigen has a different standard of what a good QB looks like and plays like when compared to Choate. Vigen puts QBs into the NFL, so him saying a guy needs to develop more as a passer should be taken in that context imo.
I like this answer.

Here is a highlight clip of McKay while at NCState. Quick release and very athletic. Seems to carry the ball a little low but this is 18 months ago and I'm nearly retired. I think we are in good hands! Excited to see what happens during Sonny Holland Classic. Looked good against Louisville, WVU, Ball State and Clemson.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:33 pm
CatBot wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
I like this answer.

Here is a highlight clip of McKay while at NCState. Quick release and very athletic. Seems to carry the ball a little low but this is 18 months ago and I'm nearly retired. I think we are in good hands! Excited to see what happens during Sonny Holland Classic. Looked good against Louisville, WVU, Ball State and Clemson.

The first cut in that video to the Ball State highlights- MSU/Norfolk St score is on the bottom ticker. :lol:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:58 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
I like this answer.

The first cut in that video to the Ball State highlights- MSU/Norfolk St score is on the bottom ticker. :lol:
I watched the whole video and it's interesting. I think McKay is in a better running then both rovik and bauman, however in his passing game it looked like most of his passes were to his first or maybe second look. That means the offense was better prepared to pass against the defense and the first look was the best route. I don't see that he's making second or third or fourth looks and I agree with vigan that he needs to develop his game. The question is was the offense so good and in planning that they didn't need to look past the first receiver.
But the most interesting take I had was he graduated high school at 16 so is he 18 or 19 now? That means he is way ahead of the other quarterbacks on staff who've been here for a couple years.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:26 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:58 pm
KittieKop wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
I like this answer.

I watched the whole video and it's interesting. I think McKay is in a better running then both rovik and bauman, however in his passing game it looked like most of his passes were to his first or maybe second look. That means the offense was better prepared to pass against the defense and the first look was the best route. I don't see that he's making second or third or fourth looks and I agree with vigan that he needs to develop his game. The question is was the offense so good and in planning that they didn't need to look past the first receiver.
But the most interesting take I had was he graduated high school at 16 so is he 18 or 19 now? That means he is way ahead of the other quarterbacks on staff who've been here for a couple years.
No offense, but without All-22 it’s hard for good scouts to tell what progressions the QB is making.

My question would be, how do you know what his reads are, who is the primary, so and so forth, and how do you know what pre-snap reads he made or didn’t make?

Hard to tell too much from tv view highlights, imo.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:21 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:58 pm
KittieKop wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
I like this answer.

He was 16-years-old when he graduated from high school? He started as a sophomore, so that would mean he was 14, maybe 13, when got the starting quarterback job. Doesn’t seem possible.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:51 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
I would surmise a couple reasons.

1) He knows Banks a little, and people he knows, know Banks and like him. He runs a similar defense as the DC’s that Vigen has been around.

2) Does it matter that Vigen has never coached defense? He’s been preparing against defenses for most of his coaching career. I would imagine he knows more about defense than every single person here. That also means that he knows which defenses he thinks are easier/harder to prepare against.

3) 4-3/3-4 is a little overrated of a topic. What matters more is what they play the majority of. Are they going to be in their base package, nickel, dime, etc, etc. Even then, scheme doesn’t matter as much as how well the coaches can teach it. That’s why I’m a big proponent for KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. Let your players think less, play fast.
This. Especially #3. For all practical purposes, you have to be prepared to play 4-5 WR sets from EWU one week & the triple option from cal poly the next.

You need a system that firs your players & gives you solid results regardless of who you match up against.

You don’t get to spend a lot of time in “base” D in this conference.

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:58 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
I like this answer.

I didn't see him go to a second or third receiver in any highlight. It was timing routs and tuck it and run.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:14 am

I'm excited to see McKay in action...brings the whole package....dual threat...6'4" passer with wheels....can't wait!