2021 spring ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2021 spring ball

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:09 am

I just watched the video. McKay looked really good. And he was only a redshirt freshman who was only 18 and starting against FBS talent. The announcer did say he graduated high school at age 16. His passes were crisp and accurate, although they wouldn’t show his missed passes on a highlight tape.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 am

Like...he did play quite a little in the 2020 fall scrimmage guys. You can watch that one on Youtube.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:14 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 am
Like...he did play quite a little in the 2020 fall scrimmage guys. You can watch that one on Youtube.
Scrimmage reps are a lot different from game reps. Just look at Brugman. His game highlights really flashed for me.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:18 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:14 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Scrimmage reps are a lot different from game reps. Just look at Brugman. His game highlights really flashed for me.
I guess...but live scrimmages can still reveal plenty.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:37 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:18 am
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
For the record, I liked what I saw in both the NC State reps and 2020 Fall Scrimmage reps which is why I'm not surprised McKay is clearly leading the pack this spring.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
His scrimmage with MSU will show more than what he did at NC State. Different offenses, different players, etc. Both are fine, the scrimmage is more relevant.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:37 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
For the record, I liked what I saw in both the NC State reps and 2020 Fall Scrimmage reps which is why I'm not surprised McKay is clearly leading the pack this spring.
I will say McKay is likely more mobile than Tucker is. I have no issues if McKay is the starter if he earns that from Vigen. McKay hasn't been playing against FCS players, his numbers are in spot relief in blow out wins and losses and a couple (?) spot starts in an FBS conference. Very Rovig-like numbers from 2019 though:

McKay: 86-150, 57.3% comp rate, 910 yds, 6.1 yd avg. 3TD/1INT. 113.6 QB rating. Biggest rushing game was 24 yds
Rovig: 172-279, 61.6% comp rate, 1,969 yds, 7.1 yd avg. 15TD/5INT. 135.1 QB rating. Biggest rushing game was 21 yds

Will McKay blossom in full-time starter duty, in MSU's system and playing in the Big Sky against FCS talent? That's what Vigen and the coaches get paid to figure out!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:04 pm

Just for the heck of it, check out Sneed's UNLV stats. Not much there, but what is there isn't super impressive. Sneed definitely blossomed dropping down.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... lton-sneed

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:00 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:04 pm
Just for the heck of it, check out Sneed's UNLV stats. Not much there, but what is there isn't super impressive. Sneed definitely blossomed dropping down.

Quite a difference, huh? I agree. I hope that if McKay is the guy, that's exactly what happens. The revolving door at QB since Prukop left for OR needs to be fixed. For everyone's sake, whomever that is, I hope they grab the opportunity and run (no pun intended) with it. I hope the coaching staff is skilled enough to make the right decision and be able to stick with it.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:35 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:00 pm
AFCAT wrote:

Quite a difference, huh? I agree. I hope that if McKay is the guy, that's exactly what happens. The revolving door at QB since Prukop left for OR needs to be fixed. For everyone's sake, whomever that is, I hope they grab the opportunity and run (no pun intended) with it. I hope the coaching staff is skilled enough to make the right decision and be able to stick with it.
Listening to Colter it sounds like Baumann may be at the top of the depth chart but won't play Saturday because of a broken rib. Colter sounded very impressed and Vigen seemed like he went along with the praise. At the very least after listening to him it sounds like Rovig may be #3.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:26 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:35 pm
KittieKop wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Listening to Colter it sounds like Baumann may be at the top of the depth chart but won't play Saturday because of a broken rib. Colter sounded very impressed and Vigen seemed like he went along with the praise. At the very least after listening to him it sounds like Rovig may be #3.
Yep, I just listened to that. Pretty crazy to think that our starting QB from last year, that took us to the semis, might be 3rd string right now. He hasn't regressed, but that just goes to show you we will be significantly improved at QB this Fall - should be fun to watch. I'm thinking this staff, starting with Vigen, might be just what Bauman needed to grow into the potential NFL caliber QB that some of us thought he could be when he first committed. Yes that is getting way ahead of ourselves, but there were comparisons to Joe Flacco with his build and raw ability.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

McKay is #1. Bauman is beating out Rovig for #2.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:51 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

McKay is #1. Bauman is beating out Rovig for #2.
Rovig has everyone right where he wants them. :wink:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!