NDSU and the new FCS landscape

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: NDSU and the new FCS landscape

Post by MTnative » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:31 pm

EWU historically does well in road games, to my immediate recollection. I think the eags have a good shot at taking the bison down next weekend. Should be a good football game to watch.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:50 pm

:oops:
MTnative wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:31 pm
EWU historically does well in road games, to my immediate recollection. I think the eags have a good shot at taking the bison down next weekend. Should be a good football game to watch.
Indoors, 25% capicity crowd, and ready to play all upside. NDSU losing last week, could be pissed.

EWU better chance than Weber. I think even at.home they are toast.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:44 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:50 pm
MTnative wrote:
Indoors, 25% capicity crowd, and ready to play all upside. NDSU losing last week, could be pissed.

I’m not sure what to think of Weber either. Not really any signature wins. No losses, but only one very convincing win. I don’t think the best of the big sky is being represented this spring. Could be wrong though

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:44 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:50 pm
MTnative wrote:

I’m not sure what to think of Weber either. Not really any signature wins. No losses, but only one very convincing win. I don’t think the best of the big sky is being represented this spring. Could be wrong though
Weber's D is still solid, but their offense is terrible. I think they can beat SIU, but no way they beat SDSU.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:55 am

The griz won 2 meaningless blowout spring games and have been crowned the kings of the universe!! Shockingly Barnum gave them all the accolades in the world to save face for his team.

I guess that's what happens when you haven't had your a** kicked by your rival in over 500 days.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:12 pm

I like the overconfidence it builds for the fizz.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:33 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am
The committee pissed off even more people than usual with this playoff selection. 5 MVFC teams in the field! 4 of the 6 at large bids went to the MVFC. What a joke.
Has anyone pointed out to you yet the MVFC went 4-1 and the only loss was to another MVFC team in the first round?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:38 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:33 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
The committee pissed off even more people than usual with this playoff selection. 5 MVFC teams in the field! 4 of the 6 at large bids went to the MVFC. What a joke.
Has anyone pointed out to you yet the MVFC went 4-1 and the only loss was to another MVFC team in the first round?
No but thank you Cat Grad! I still say that MO State had no business in the playoffs, and the score from Saturday says the same.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:38 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
No but thank you Cat Grad! I still say that MO State had no business in the playoffs, and the score from Saturday says the same.
Other than this:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -top-coach

...and that the chair of the committee was from Missouri State, I would question why Missouri State was in the playoff. I thought they tied with SDSU for the conference title?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Other than this:

...and that the chair of the committee was from Missouri State, I would question why Missouri State was in the playoff. I thought they tied with SDSU for the conference title?
Sure they tied SDSU for the conference title. In doing so they played one of the other top 4 teams in the conference, a 25-0 loss to NDSU. They snuck by Youngstown, UNI and South Dakota. No impressive wins. Not to mention fall games were supposed to count for something and they lost twice to Central Arkansas in the fall. Richmond, who went toe to toe with JMU or Murray State who took 2nd in the OVC would have put up a better fight than MO State did.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:28 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 am
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Other than this:

Sure they tied SDSU for the conference title. In doing so they played one of the other top 4 teams in the conference, a 25-0 loss to NDSU. They snuck by Youngstown, UNI and South Dakota. No impressive wins. Not to mention fall games were supposed to count for something and they lost twice to Central Arkansas in the fall. Richmond, who went toe to toe with JMU or Murray State who took 2nd in the OVC would have put up a better fight than MO State did.
Back to the OP. NDSU vs Sam Houston Sunday in Texas. The game I want to see is North Dakota vs James Madison and I hope Jacksonville State stomps Delaware--just because...(one of Delaware's alumni I suppose...).

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:54 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:28 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 am
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Other than this:

Back to the OP. NDSU vs Sam Houston Sunday in Texas. The game I want to see is North Dakota vs James Madison and I hope Jacksonville State stomps Delaware--just because...(one of Delaware's alumni I suppose...).
\:D/ \:D/

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sun May 02, 2021 7:08 pm

Bison are OUT

NDSU did not score an offensive TD today :shock:

Don't make it to the semis, in a depleted national season :o

Granted, their lost their QB as the 3rd pick in the draft - they would've won today if he were still there, but woulda-shoulda-coulda doesn't count

This is the start of a return to national parity, IMHO

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun May 02, 2021 7:22 pm

JDoub wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:08 pm
Bison are OUT

Granted, their lost their QB as the 3rd pick in the draft - they would've won today if he were still there, but woulda-shoulda-coulda doesn't count

Teams that are willing to play smash mouth football with them will have the best chance of beating them. They weren't nearly as physical this spring season as they have been in the past. Cam Miller will be good eventually I'm sure but they're going to be a different team with an NFL QB.

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MTnative » Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm

I'm very glad to see NDSU lose, as it means parity and a shift in coverage to the FCS at large instead of the one trick pony like its been forever.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon May 03, 2021 8:52 am

I hope you guys are right. It would be good for MSU and good for the FCS if NDSU got knocked down a peg or two. But a stumble in a fairly meaningless season doesn't give me a ton of hope that this dynasty is over. I think they're still getting the best recruits, they still have a tough place to go play, and I doubt support from the university and community aren't waning. In 2019 I got my hopes up that Alabama was returning back to earth after LSU beat them and Clemson was getting better. Alabama finished 8th that year and then had one of the more dominant seasons they've ever had the next year. Regardless of whether NDSU is truly getting any worse or not, MSU is doing everything it needs to do to go catch them. I'm more encouraged by MSU's rise than NDSU's fall, if any.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am

JDoub wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:08 pm
Bison are OUT

Their offense was really bad. Not only did they not score an offensive TD but they turned the ball over 3 times.
I still thought the bison were going to find a way to pull it out, like they usually do, when they had back-to-back special teams return TDs. Glad they didn't, I'm happy we'll see a new champion this year in FCS.

I sure hope you're right about parity, but this was an odd season. I'll need to see what ndsu looks like in the fall before I'll believe we have parity again in FCS.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am

I sure hope you're right about parity, but this was an odd season. I'll need to see what ndsu looks like in the fall before I'll believe we have parity again in FCS.
Yes, agreed.

I think this is more about others catching up, than about NDSU dropping. That has been happening in the MVFC, and the first steps of dynasty-breaking is someone else winning the MVFC title, and NDSU needing to play road games in the playoffs. Their playoff win streak has been ALL home games in the Fargodome, or on a neutral field. There were several playoff games they won at home that could've very easily been losses on the road - yesterday's game is one example.

I do think there is already more parity now, - I think SDSU, JMU, perhaps even MSU, UM, would be closer to 50-50 with NDSU if all series were home-and-away (didn't they lose last time they went to Missoula?). In fact, they are 2-2 vs SDSU the last 4 years. This season they lost (badly) to Southern Illinois on the road, lost to SDSU soundly at home. They're not going away, but the pack is gaining ground.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 03, 2021 10:26 am

I'm not digging NDSU's grave yet, but I would be more than happy to attend any funeral of theirs in the future.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue May 04, 2021 10:24 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:26 am
I'm not digging NDSU's grave yet, but I would be more than happy to attend any funeral of theirs in the future.
I agree....I think it's a bit premature to declare the NDSU dynasty as having ended. Even the greatest sports dynasties don't necessarily win the championship every single year. They lost to JMU in the semi-finals in 2016, then came right back and won three consecutive titles after that. Plus, I'm just not sure that many conclusions can be drawn about anything, based on this weird spring season. Holy Cross got into the playoffs, having played only 3 games and a couple other playoff teams only played 4 games. I'm so glad MSU took a pass on playing this spring.

On a side note, besides Trey Lance being drafted number 3 overall, NDSU also had a player picked in the 2nd round. That's pretty remarkable for an FCS program to have two players picked that high in the same year. Northern Iowa players got drafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds, so those two schools combined had 4 players drafted in the first 4 rounds. The MVFC accounted for 4 of the 5 FCS players that were drafted this year. This was the 2nd consecutive year that no players were drafted from the BSC. Before 2020, it had been 20 years since the BSC didn't have a single draft pick. I presume a few players have signed free agent deals though?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... -nfl-draft