Director of player personnel

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Director of player personnel

Post by stevo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:37 pm

Director of player personnel. I know this has been a title in the NFL for years but I'm seeing this title more and more in college. Is this new? Is this away to put a title on someone so it does not count against your coach numbers. Looks like MSU is headed that way as well.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Director of player personnel

Post by coloradocat » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:03 pm

Where are you getting Director of Player Personnel? The tweet doesn't say that and neither does his own Twitter profile.

I do like the idea of finding money for more staff that don't count towards the limit. I think you can have as many staff as you want as long as only a certain number have direct contact with the players. Other than funding an IPF this should be a top focus for the team. Find guys to offload some responsibilities from the player-facing coaches.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:26 pm

Tweet says recruiting coordinator.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:49 pm

Maybe I'm reaching a bit. I see the title. My point I guess is recruiting coordinator is a title usually pinned on a position coach as another job that he does. More and more I am seeing recruiting coordinator as it's own job, no position responsibilities. Such as the one i just posted. Is director of player personnel and recruiting coordinator the same thing? What's the difference.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:53 pm

I think he may be filling Cole Moore's role.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:18 pm

stevo wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:49 pm
Maybe I'm reaching a bit. I see the title. My point I guess is recruiting coordinator is a title usually pinned on a position coach as another job that he does. More and more I am seeing recruiting coordinator as it's own job, no position responsibilities. Such as the one i just posted. Is director of player personnel and recruiting coordinator the same thing? What's the difference.
I don't think the two titles necessarily mean the same thing. Player personnel might just be like an HR person in the business world, and the director of recruiting would just be the headhunter. Having said that, they might have the same job descriptions and be called different things in different programs. I just feel like a player personnel guy would be in charge of guys once they're in Bozeman as well as possibly the recruitment of the guys. Recruiting seems to be a pretty singular task.

I do like finding ways to pay guys outside of specific coaching roles. I will always be banging the drum for paying MSU coaches as much as possible. Like somebody else said, the big programs are doing it. I read a year or two ago that Alabama has like 100 people just on the football staff.