Call me crazy

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lutecat
Member # Retired

Call me crazy

Post by lutecat » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:40 pm

But is there a chink in the NDSU armor? With a new coach from the NDSU coaching tree, what possibilities do we have?

Who's a believer with me? (Side note, I may be two beers in at Crooked(copper?) Furrow)

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Call me crazy

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:40 pm
But is there a chink in the NDSU armor? With a new coach from the NDSU coaching tree, what possibilities do we have?

Who's a believer with me? (Side note, I may be two beers in at Crooked(copper?) Furrow)
Haha I don't think you're crazy. I said it in the spring season thread, they're gonna have to pull a QB out of their butts to continue their dynasty. Zeb Noland is not very good. And I watched the game, checked the roster just to make sure and they weren't playing backups. The D was slow and not nearly as physical up front.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:53 pm

I saw that with the D. Cracks are showing.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:58 pm

It could be a real massive fall from grace. From hero to zero!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:56 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 pm
lutecat wrote:

Haha I don't think you're crazy. I said it in the spring season thread, they're gonna have to pull a QB out of their butts to continue their dynasty. Zeb Noland is not very good. And I watched the game, checked the roster just to make sure and they weren't playing backups. The D was slow and not nearly as physical up front.
They have a transfer QB from Virginia Tech eligible for the Fall season.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:56 pm

I don’t know that a massive fall from grace is accurate, that’s a bit extreme.
If by still making the playoffs and maybe losing in the quarters or semi’s, then sure.

They have some stuff to figure out. And their string of amazing QB play had to end at some point.
Was this one bad game? Or are they in trouble? We’ll see.
Either way, they’re not going to be bad. Just maybe not dominant for the first time in a decade.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:02 pm

1984champ wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:56 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 pm
lutecat wrote:

They have a transfer QB from Virginia Tech eligible for the Fall season.
I know. I highly doubt he's going to be Trey Lance, Easton Stick or Carson Wentz though. And he may not even win the job. Jonsen was a QB at Oregon.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:33 am

not crazy

39 game win streak broken

NDSU had 24 yds rushing until garbage time late in the 4th, SIU dominated LOS

NDSU 12 first downs to SIU’s 25

They were manhandled

The MVFC has been slowly catching up to them for 5 years

Weird year tho - time will tell
Last edited by JDoub on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:14 am

JDoub wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:33 am
not crazy

39 game home win streak broken

NDSU had 24 yds rushing until garbage time late in the 4th, SIU dominated LOS

NDSU 12 first downs to SIU’s 25

They were manhandled

The MVFC has been slowly catching up to them for 5 years

Weird year tho - time will tell
Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into anything that happens in this weird Spring season. Great chance for some team to come out of nowhere and win a National Title.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:02 pm

UND looks really good.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:00 am

I don't know if I'd read much into NDSU getting a loss or even having a bad spring season. There was a part of me that was hoping (if MSU played a spring season) they'd sit veterans and use it as a time to get experience for younger players. If they're playing guys that are younger and maybe considering a redshirt, this is such good experience for those guys. Then they're resting the vets and they're ready to go with better depth than before. Suddenly the rest of the country goes from thinking NDSU is down to realizing NDSU is better than before. I have no idea if that's what they're doing, but I'm going to hold off on saying they're down for now.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:31 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:00 am
I don't know if I'd read much into NDSU getting a loss or even having a bad spring season. There was a part of me that was hoping (if MSU played a spring season) they'd sit veterans and use it as a time to get experience for younger players. If they're playing guys that are younger and maybe considering a redshirt, this is such good experience for those guys. Then they're resting the vets and they're ready to go with better depth than before. Suddenly the rest of the country goes from thinking NDSU is down to realizing NDSU is better than before. I have no idea if that's what they're doing, but I'm going to hold off on saying they're down for now.
I didn't watch the game but watched highlights and, from what I've read, NDSU wasn't playing youth for experience sake. NDSU was trying to win and just got beat. If UND doesn't get little brother syndrome, I think they take it to the Bison.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:39 am

rivercat wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:31 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I didn't watch the game but watched highlights and, from what I've read, NDSU wasn't playing youth for experience sake. NDSU was trying to win and just got beat. If UND doesn't get little brother syndrome, I think they take it to the Bison.
Correct most of their guys were/are starters or have tons of experience. All conference LB and Safety playing. 2 starting LBs from 2019. At least 3 OL guys were starters or regulars in a rotation in 2019. Watson played all game. They were young at one corner spot and had only freshman playing at RB. I doubt Zeb Noland, who was bad on Saturday, will be their QB fall 2021, but the VT transfer they got isn't much of a passer, which is very different than their last 4 QBs who were all super accurate.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 am

rivercat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Good info--I didn't watch any of it or even read much about it. Just one of those deals I don't put too much stock into yet. Like hearing Idaho State is beating the griz by 10 in the 4th quarter or the Bobcat basketball team is in contention for a conference title in early February. I've been disappointed too many times :wink:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:15 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 am
rivercat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Good info--I didn't watch any of it or even read much about it. Just one of those deals I don't put too much stock into yet. Like hearing Idaho State is beating the griz by 10 in the 4th quarter or the Bobcat basketball team is in contention for a conference title in early February. I've been disappointed too many times :wink:
I'm right there with ya. While I believe nothing lasts forever and eventually even the mighty bison will fall, it's going to take way more than one game in February in a ridiculous spring "season" before I get too excited.

It will be interesting to see how some of these teams respond after losing a few games and if it changes their mindset going into spring and summer.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:22 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:15 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
rivercat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I'm right there with ya. While I believe nothing lasts forever and eventually even the mighty bison will fall, it's going to take way more than one game in February in a ridiculous spring "season" before I get too excited.

It will be interesting to see how some of these teams respond after losing a few games and if it changes their mindset going into spring and summer.
Reminds me a little bit of the college basketball season right now. I think most of us realize that Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Syracuse probably aren't just bad now. There's something about this year. Maybe it's that these teams have gotten so good because of their routines. Maybe they're trying some new stuff in a throwaway year. Such a weird year, it'll be interesting to see how the dust settles after we have a little time to really look back at the impact of the pandemic.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:30 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:22 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:15 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
rivercat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

Reminds me a little bit of the college basketball season right now. I think most of us realize that Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Syracuse probably aren't just bad now. There's something about this year. Maybe it's that these teams have gotten so good because of their routines. Maybe they're trying some new stuff in a throwaway year. Such a weird year, it'll be interesting to see how the dust settles after we have a little time to really look back at the impact of the pandemic.
I'm still so mad about losing March Madness last year. It had the makings to be one of the best tournaments in my lifetime. There were about 15+ teams that had a legitimate shot to win the whole thing. This season seems like just the opposite. Sure upsets are still possible. But it just seems like it's Baylor and Gonzaga, and then way down the list everyone else.

We were robbed of a great one in 2020. :sick:

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:31 pm

Michigan will definitely have a say on who wins madness.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:25 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:31 pm
Michigan will definitely have a say on who wins madness.
They're playing great and the Big10 is the best conference in the country. And they certainly could be in the mix. But top to bottom I don't think they match up with Baylor and Gonzaga.

Guess that's why March Madness is the best event in sports! \:D/

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Amen to that!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."