SHAMEFUL

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: SHAMEFUL

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:06 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:06 pm
I wish the Cats were playing too for selfish reasons, but realistically, I think come fall season we will be glad they didn’t.

We don’t have the ability to practice indoors well. There would be injuries frequently. Comparing spring practice to spring games is missing a lot, if we’re honest. It’s not the same intensity. A spring season in Montana was always going to be a mistake, and a loss of money.
I had a chance to chat with some folks who are more “in the know” on this stuff than the rest of us. They made a number of very good points as to why this spring was a bad idea.

- The players would just be coming back in the middle of January from a Christmas break where they got lazy and out of shape and then have to try to be ready to play football in one month. This is very different from when the entire team is together in the summer doing player run practices and training for months then going into a fall ball season for about a month long to get even better prepared for the first games
- in that one month you’d have to try to practice outside to get everyone ready, and with our Montana conditions and temperatures that is extremely difficult to do
- those factors alone increase the risk of injury quite a bit
- The limited capacity of fans in the stands especially with the overreach in Bozeman from health officials would have been a large financial burden and loss overall for the university
- The overall cost of testing every single week would still be quite high as well when you’re dealing with 100 kids

These were just a few of the things that came up that I don’t think a lot of people think about. I for one am very glad we’re waiting til Fall.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:27 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
I wish the Cats were playing too for selfish reasons, but realistically, I think come fall season we will be glad they didn’t.

We don’t have the ability to practice indoors well. There would be injuries frequently. Comparing spring practice to spring games is missing a lot, if we’re honest. It’s not the same intensity. A spring season in Montana was always going to be a mistake, and a loss of money.
I had a chance to chat with some folks who are more “in the know” on this stuff than the rest of us. They made a number of very good points as to why this spring was a bad idea.

- The players would just be coming back in the middle of January from a Christmas break where they got lazy and out of shape and then have to try to be ready to play football in one month. This is very different from when the entire team is together in the summer doing player run practices and training for months then going into a fall ball season for about a month long to get even better prepared for the first games
- in that one month you’d have to try to practice outside to get everyone ready, and with our Montana conditions and temperatures that is extremely difficult to do
- The limited capacity of fans in the stands especially with the overreach in Bozeman from health officials would have been a large financial burden and loss overall for the university
- The overall cost of testing every single week would still be quite high as well when you’re dealing with 100 kids

These were just a few of the things that came up that I don’t think a lot of people think about. I for one am very glad we’re waiting til Fall.
These are good posts. I got the sense that Choate had our guys ready to go on a drop of a dime throughout the fall. When the MW and PAC launched, he fully expected the BSC to follow right away. And they didn't. It's hard on the kids to stay primed for that long without a game, just to see the opportunity evaporate through lack of leadership and ineptitude. I'm sure Jeff is absolutely thrilled to leave the BSC behind.

I suspect from the conference perspective, money barriers were too hard to overcome. That's probably a fair point.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:33 am

I feel like it is easy to be critical of this decision if you are not on campus every day, but as one of the 20,000+ students, faculty, and staff on campus, the decision makes much more sense. If you consider this 20k number MSU's "population", our population density would be greater than that of Staten Island - one of the five boroughs of NYC. The MSU campus alone would be the 10th largest county in Montana. I understand that other universities made different decisions, but many are not teaching in-person. This was a difficult decision, but I think the correct one for the safety of our students, staff, faculty, and community.

Berkeley_Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Berkeley_Griz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am

autocat wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:57 pm
At this point it would be best to drop the football program, and just have flag football on campus as long as nobody has flu like symptoms, there are no injuries, the field is shoveled, and everybody get to participate!
Try harder, and perhaps you can find a way to be even more of a whiny drama queen.

Berkeley_Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Berkeley_Griz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:42 am

ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Solid post. Ya, I wish we had the game to look forward to, but there's many valid reasons it was postponed, and I can wait a few more months to enjoy a normal game, with fans, with two years of pent up anger to fuel the atmosphere fire.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:18 am

Berkeley_Griz wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:42 am
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Solid post. Ya, I wish we had the game to look forward to, but there's many valid reasons it was postponed, and I can wait a few more months to enjoy a normal game, with fans, with two years of pent up anger to fuel the atmosphere fire.
You're putting a lot of faith in our health departments decision-making. :lol:

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:29 am

Sheep do what sheep do.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:29 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:29 am
Sheep do what sheep do.
This always cracks me up, as if there is only one way to be a "sheep".

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:35 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:29 pm
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Sheep do what sheep do.
This always cracks me up, as if there is only one way to be a "sheep".
The irony is often lost on those who use the sheep analogy, that’s for sure.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:15 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Sheep do what sheep do.
The adage for Bozeman. Subaru Outback's and Chocolate Lab's named "Bridger". Welcome to Bozeman, here is your check off sheet to "fit" in.

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:01 pm

Sheep(adjective): The definition of a sheep is...a slang term for a person who follows the crowd, is meek and is easily led. ... A person who does what his friends says and doesn't think for himself at all is an example of a sheep.
Synonyms: abashed, ashamed, embarrassed, self-conscious, shamefaced,, uncomfortable, awkward, remorseful, contrite, sorry, regretful, repentant, penitent, apologetic, guilty, conscience-stricken, rueful, humiliated, chastened, compunctious, shamed,humbled, red-faced, guilt-ridden, mortified ,self-reproachful, hangdog, full of regret, attritional, chagrined, penitential, crestfallen, in sackcloth and ashes, discomfited, blushing, propitiatory, self-condemnatory, disgraced, shy, flustered, discountenanced, disconcerted, demeaned, humble, mournful, deprecatory, supplicating,self-incriminating, atoning, bad, on one's knees, disturbed, troubled, appeasing,awful, sorrowful, with one's tail between one's legs, abject, self-accusing, afraid, unsettled, thrown, uneasy, discomposed, dishonoured, discredited, dishonored, nervous, conciliatory, explanatory, self-effacing, diffident, expiatory, put out of countenance, shown-up, ill at ease, not know where to put yourself, with egg on one's face, caught with egg on your face, wishing the earth would swallow one up.

There has been mentioned the overreach by the health dept. Missoula has the same problem, in spades. This isn't a Cat or Griz issue, it's freedom vs govt control. The question is, what are you prepared to do about it? Serious question. Do you realize what the income is from ticket sales for home games? Just the face value of the ticket, not counting the truth to school organizations just to be able to buy the ticket. You gonna let the health dept f*ck that up?

"This always cracks me up, as if there is only one way to be a "sheep"."You sound like a man of experience, CelticCat. You have the floor. Tell us all about all the other ways you have been, or, theoretically, how to be a sheep.I'll wait. :-^
"The irony is often lost on those who use the sheep analogy, that’s for sure." Enlighten me, hell enlighten all of us, Catsrgrood. Analogize away! Emphasize the irony. Try to keep it to under 2,000 words, please.
Last edited by Cu-Ag-Au on Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:14 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 pm

Yup, Walmart griz fans writing about sheep. Hilarious.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 pm

These are the best reposts y'all can come up with? Can't address the topic, change the topic. Typical.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:45 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 pm
These are the best reposts y'all can come up with? Can't address the topic, change the topic. Typical.
I just thought you like sheep.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:03 pm

That would make me a Baaaaahd
boy! :oops:

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:48 pm

I am completely fine with the cancelation of the spring season. However, I am pretty darn frustrated that we didnt schedule any games. To play a couple games in late April or early May would have been huge. Could have had a real spring practice season for three weeks leading up to the first game. To play a couple games before the fall season begins is paramount to me. Now we have to go into Laramie not playing a snap of football for 21 months. We should've beat UW and I think that will be extremely tough now. Hopefully Im wrong.

Hating the griz since 02.

BobcANON
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcANON » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Spring games have little to no bearing on success in the fall. Formal spring football activity/OTA's are for system install, skill development, and talent evaluation (both player and assistant coach). Players arent going to be better prepared, less anxious, or confident in September because they played a game 5 months earlier in April. Like Choate said, beyond evaluation spring ball is an absolute waste of time.

"Ever feel like you're at a knife fight wielding a d*ill doe made out of American cheese?" - Griz Nation

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm

BobcANON wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm
Spring games have little to no bearing on success in the fall. Formal spring football activity/OTA's are for system install, skill development, and talent evaluation (both player and assistant coach). Players arent going to be better prepared, less anxious, or confident in September because they played a game 5 months earlier in April. Like Choate said, beyond evaluation spring ball is an absolute waste of time.
I agree and truly feel Choate created a player run program and all these guys have ben lifting, training, practicing, getting better every day since their last game. There will be a little rust on some things here and there and some growing pains as they tweak things and get used to new terminology, etc..... but these guys are winners and I think they'll be off and running fast out of the gates in the Fall.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:03 pm

I'm starting to come around to the idea of not playing any cupcake games in the spring. If we're a little rusty against Wyoming and Drake that's fine. It's not a big deal if we lose to UW since they're an FBS team and we shouldn't have any trouble with Drake no matter how rusty we are. By the time we play San Diego we should be at full speed.

My biggest concern for the 2021 season is still whether or not I'll be able to sit in the stands, not how ready the guys are when it matters.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!