Housewright confirmed as OC; Vigen expected to keep offensive staff

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: Housewright confirmed as OC; Vigen expected to keep offensive staff

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:52 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:08 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:47 am
spring creek cat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:46 am
I am really up in the air on this hire! I really want to be nervous and upset that he didn’t hire an OC with some play calling experience, but then realized Choate hadn’t hired one of those in awhile either!🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Vigen has a lot of play calling experience. I imagine he’ll do the play calling here too.
Doesn't work very well at Nebraska with Frost and Lubick. Head coaches need to let their coordinators do their jobs. I hope Vigen doesn't call plays.
There are numerous head coaches who call plays without it being a problem. Seeing as how the new OC has zero play calling experience, I don’t think it would be bad for Vigen to have some responsibility there.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:14 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:52 pm
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
I am really up in the air on this hire! I really want to be nervous and upset that he didn’t hire an OC with some play calling experience, but then realized Choate hadn’t hired one of those in awhile either!🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Vigen has a lot of play calling experience. I imagine he’ll do the play calling here too.
Doesn't work very well at Nebraska with Frost and Lubick. Head coaches need to let their coordinators do their jobs. I hope Vigen doesn't call plays.
There are numerous head coaches who call plays without it being a problem. Seeing as how the new OC has zero play calling experience, I don’t think it would be bad for Vigen to have some responsibility there.
I honestly can't think of any successful coaches at the college level that call the offense. A rookie HC has a lot to deal with in a game so I really hope Vigen doesn't take responsibility for calling the offense. He'll be listening in and will give his opinion and I'm sure will make some calls but I hope not all.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:19 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:14 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
I honestly can't think of any successful coaches at the college level that call the offense. A rookie HC has a lot to deal with in a game so I really hope Vigen doesn't take responsibility for calling the offense. He'll be listening in and will give his opinion and I'm sure will make some calls but I hope not all.
I’m pretty confident Ohio State, and Oklahoma are 2 quick examples of a HC who call plays.

I do agree it’s a lot for a rookie head coach, and something Choate talked about as he took on too much right away. I’d like to see him and Housewright work together throughout the week and go from there.

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm

A major benefit of the HC calling the offense's plays is that if your OC gets hired away, your offense doesn't have to change with a new OC. Just one advantage to a HC calling plays.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:30 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:19 pm
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
I’m pretty confident Ohio State, and Oklahoma are 2 quick examples of a HC who call plays.

I do agree it’s a lot for a rookie head coach, and something Choate talked about as he took on too much right away. I’d like to see him and Housewright work together throughout the week and go from there.
Ok, that's 2. It is extremely uncommon for successful college HC's to call the offense. I think Vigen experience is needed on the offense. My hope is that he works with Housewright and probably Udy during the week to game plan and can focus on the entire game.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:32 pm

rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma. Ryan Day at Ohio State. Jeff Brohm. Dana Holgerson. Paul Chryst just announced he’s going to call plays. Jimbo Fisher. Mike Leach. Dan Mullen. David Cutcliffe.

I’m sure there are more. That’s off the top of my head.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 pm

Mike Gundy might. I know he used to, not sure if he still does.

Steve Sarkisian probably will at Texas. Scott Frost used to, and still does somewhat.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Mike Leach doesn't and actually says the HC shouldn't. At least half the HC's listed above are not successful.

We will see. I think it will not be good if Vigen takes the responsibility for calling the offense.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:00 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 pm
Mike Leach doesn't and actually says the HC shouldn't. At least half the HC's listed above are not successful.

We will see. I think it will not be good if Vigen takes the responsibility for calling the offense.
None of that is true.

Leach does call plays. He has said being the HC, the OC, and play caller is too much. He’s not the OC, but he calls plays. There’s a significant difference.

Which coach isn’t successful? I believe every single one has an overall winning record? And there are more coaches at the lower levels that call plays. I believe Beau Baldwin did.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:08 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:00 pm
rivercat wrote:

None of that is true.

Leach does call plays. He has said being the HC, the OC, and play caller is too much. He’s not the OC, but he calls plays. There’s a significant difference.

Which coach isn’t successful? I believe every single one has an overall winning record? And there are more coaches at the lower levels that call plays. I believe Beau Baldwin did.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... ys-its-not

W. Virginia and Purdue are not good. Don't know or care to google some of the others.

Hope Vigen doesn't call the offense.

I'm done.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:15 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:08 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:00 pm
rivercat wrote:

None of that is true.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... ys-its-not

W. Virginia and Purdue are not good. Don't know or care to google some of the others.

Hope Vigen doesn't call the offense.

I'm done.
It’s important to read more than the headlines.

“If you’re coordinating and calling plays and you’re the head coach,” Leach added, “it’s too big of a job.”
To be clear, Leach certainly didn’t say it can’t be done. And he didn’t suggest that Riley isn’t doing a good job of it. In fact, Leach explained further why he’s always insisted on calling the plays as the head coach at Texas Tech, Washington State and now Mississippi State.
Brohm was excellent at Western Kentucky. Purdue is a tough school to win at. Again, he’s won more than he’s lost.

Holgerson doesn’t coach at West Virginia anymore, but he went 61-40 there as a HC. Is that not good? News to me.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:15 pm

Half of the names are bad! No, I won’t do any research to see if that’s true or not!

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:42 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:

Another pillow fight with 99 involved. Hurray! Listen girls, you’re both pretty. Mmmmmk? Now go get some ice cream and put your devices on the Hallmark channel.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:43 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:15 pm
Half of the names are bad! No, I won’t do any research to see if that’s true or not!
Using feelings over facts is usually a bad way to win an argument, eh? :lol:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:48 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:42 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:

Another pillow fight with 99 involved. Hurray! Listen girls, you’re both pretty. Mmmmmk? Now go get some ice cream and put your devices on the Hallmark channel.
Is it a pillow fight when they're actually discussing football things? If you post something incorrect on the board, or something others don't agree with, you will get called out and have others disagree with you. There's literally nothing wrong with this discussion. Nobody is calling anyone names, or saying someone is an idiot.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:00 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:42 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:

Are we not allowed to disagree?

I can PM you before I post to get approval if that would make you feel better?

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:06 pm

Do you ask your wife to "let you be the man in the relationship"?

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:10 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:06 pm
Do you ask your wife to "let you be the man in the relationship"?
Is...is that not how it’s done? Don’t tell me I’ve been doing it wrong all these years!

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Here's an idea. Cats vs UNC 2019 is on ch 752 on Pluto TV. Fourth quarter just started. Looking good for MSU :D

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Jeffrey is at the 2 second mark in the clip in full Texas gear coaching 'em up. My heart.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."