MSU Giving Day 2021 - Onward!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

MSU Giving Day 2021 - Onward!

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:45 pm

Today and tomorrow, MSU is conducting their annual giving day campaign. If you are able, please consider giving a monetary gift to your favorite department/program/initiative on campus. There are a ton to choose from, and I'm sure they will be happy to accept any dollar amount, no matter how big or small.

As proud Bobcats, let's do our small part to help keep MSU the premier university in the state!

https://givingday.montana.edu/

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU Giving Day 2021 - Onward!

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:40 pm

MSU athletics currently in 6th place just behind Tiny Homes and Honey Bee research.

Hilleman Scholars (great program) leading the way so far with $13,000 in donations.

CalgaryCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CalgaryCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:49 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:40 pm
MSU athletics currently in 6th place just behind Tiny Homes and Honey Bee research.

Hilleman Scholars (great program) leading the way so far with $13,000 in donations.
Pleasantly surprised to see how well the Hilleman Scholars Program is doing. As a small town Montanan and a Microbiology graduate, I’m happy to see how well it resonates with everyone.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:55 pm

CalgaryCat wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:49 pm
wbtfg wrote:

Pleasantly surprised to see how well the Hilleman Scholars Program is doing. As a small town Montanan and a Microbiology graduate, I’m happy to see how well it resonates with everyone.
It’s an amazing program. That’s where I made my donation today.

CalgaryCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CalgaryCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:03 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:55 pm
CalgaryCat wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:49 pm
wbtfg wrote:

It’s an amazing program. That’s where I made my donation today.
Same here, donated in the first half hour and was hoping it would do well. Great to see the numbers go up

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:58 pm

To help the athletic cause, you can donate your football season tickets to the Plant the Flag effort which counts toward the donations.....This assumes you elected to not request a refund last fall or elect not to rollover towards next years tickets.

Just another way to help out.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:36 am

It looks like athletics moved up to #5. Just behind honeybee research.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:04 am

With all the hard work our student athletes have put in on the field and in the classroom they deserve our support. With the pandemic it is needed more than ever. Making a donation to Plant the Flag is very easy. Just go to givingday.montana.edu

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:58 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:58 pm
To help the athletic cause, you can donate your football season tickets to the Plant the Flag effort which counts toward the donations.....This assumes you elected to not request a refund last fall or elect not to rollover towards next years tickets.

That's what I did. I assume this is tax deductable but I haven't confirmed that.... does anyone else know for sure?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:01 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:58 pm
BobcatDel wrote:

That's what I did. I assume this is tax deductable but I haven't confirmed that.... does anyone else know for sure?
Essentially it sounds like what you'd be doing is accepting a refund check from MSU for the tickets, then donating that right back. If that's the case, then yes it will be tax deductible for the value of the tickets. The Bobcat Club membership is no longer tax deductible, and I'd imagine they're not refunding that...?

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:52 pm

catatac wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:

The Plant the Flag website says that donations to the Bobcat Club are for charity only. I take that to mean they do not count towards season ticket purchase eligibility and are tax deductible.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:00 pm

imacat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:52 pm
catatac wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:

The Plant the Flag website says that donations to the Bobcat Club are for charity only. I take that to mean they do not count towards season ticket purchase eligibility and are tax deductible.
Sounds good, thanks for the info. For the record, I was going to deduct this regardless. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:12 pm

catatac wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:

That is what I did too.

Yes it is considered a charitable donation.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:46 pm

Tickets were never deductible by the IRS law. Any time you give to foundation, they will always be deductible, granted your income is below a certain threshold and your charitable contributions are enough. As far as state goes, if your a MT resident you will always get a credit for contributing to a university foundation. So yes any money given to the bobcat club or Montana State University, you will receive a benefit on your state taxes.
For me I give but, but I don’t itemize so there really isn’t a benefit for contributing federal wise, although you can get a small deduction for 2020/2021 due to legislation put in place by Trump on your federal return.

If your left, you aren’t right.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:06 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:46 pm
Tickets were never deductible by the IRS law. Any time you give to foundation, they will always be deductible, granted your income is below a certain threshold and your charitable contributions are enough. As far as state goes, if your a MT resident you will always get a credit for contributing to a university foundation. So yes any money given to the bobcat club or Montana State University, you will receive a benefit on your state taxes.
For me I give but, but I don’t itemize so there really isn’t a benefit for contributing federal wise, although you can get a small deduction for 2020/2021 due to legislation put in place by Trump on your federal return.
Sounds like this would be a good opportunity to increase your charitable giving so you can itemize! Say... by making that million dollar anchor gift towards the indoor facility or funding a couple scholarships. 😎

Just kidding. I need to win the lottery myself.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:13 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:06 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:46 pm
Sounds like this would be a good opportunity to increase your charitable giving so you can itemize! Say... by making that million dollar anchor gift towards the indoor facility or funding a couple scholarships. 😎

Just kidding. I need to win the lottery myself.
Well when the moved the standard deduction to 24,000 MFJ that pretty much took out 75% of the people who used to itemize.

I hear ya on the lottery, problem is, I say that but I don’t buy the tickets.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:18 pm

And when they reduced the amount of state taxes you can deduct that hurt as well, 10,000 isn’t hard to get to with two incomes.