MSU's Next Offensive Coordinator

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: MSU's Next Offensive Coordinator

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:37 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:19 am
Logic and reason. You are full of logic and reason.

While I feel bad for Udy, assuming he is being demoted/fired, I love the Housewright hiring. I imagine that he made one heck of an impression on Vigen at Wyoming, then went on to work in the SEC and Pac-12. If you look closely/read into at the offensive system he worked in (again, that article on Moorhead's offensive system is very telling), you will see that the plan will allow for putting the same 11 players on the field (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB) the vast majority of plays and using different formations and motion to identify mismatches not only on each play, but also over the course of the game.

In the build up to their super bowl run, there was a great article on how Kyle Shanahan of the 49ers uses opponent's defensive schemes against them. For instance, if the opponent's top CB was assigned to cover the far left receiver, no matter who it was, he would sent their FB (Juszczyk) out wide so the opponent's best CB was stuck covering a FB while George Kittle was feasting on a slot corner.

This is what this coordinator likely brings to the table. A game plan built around a highly flexible offense that will almost certainly put pressure on opposing defenses to not only execute perfectly, but also quickly identify an appropriate counter to the formation AND effectively communicate it. I see a lot more receivers in space in this offense and far fewer opportunities for opposing defenses to stack the box. The natural counter to this offense (a Cover 2/Cover 3 hybrid) would need to generate pressure on the QB using just a four man (sometimes 5) rush. I trust our O-Line in that scenario. If a defense has a weakness (poor tackling LB, poor coverage LB, etc.), this offense will be able to exploit it over and over again.

Finally, I think this offense is much more dependent upon game-planning/strategy than most other offenses. It takes a highly analytical mind to identify mismatches on game film and scheme for them all week long. I trust Housewright's experiences will translate very well to this task.

rivercat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:31 pm
Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, Coach Vigen thinks Housewright will help take this team to the next level. Maybe he understands that is what is expected and he will be accountable for. So just maybe Coach Vigen thinks this hire will help the Bobcat win. Like I said, just spitballing.
🤓
[media] [/media]

Couldn’t resist!

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:24 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:10 pm
Interview with Taylor Housewright: https://anchor.fm/gabe-kennedy/episodes ... -HS-eh03u1

This is one heck of an interview from Taylor on his coaching journey. Some quick facts:

- He went through 5 different OC/QB coaches through 5 years of college at Ashland (later he took it as a positive for his coaching career as he got to pick 5 brains)
- Matt LaFleur was one of those OC's and recruited Taylor to Ashland
- As a younger guy, he has realistic thoughts on recruiting and where it will continue to go (Twitter etiquette matters!)
- He was a bar manager in South Carolina when he got a call to coach at his first gig. Jumped into a car at 10:00 am to get there by 8:00 pm to get to practice the next day. Quit his job over the phone on the way. He coached in his first game calling plays without knowing barely any of the kids names. Was just throwing out numbers haha (the entire bar manager job story is great)
- Taylor has been around about 12-15 offensive minds who've mentored him over the years
- Based on how he talks, he isn't afraid to make fun of himself and seems laid back yet competitive as hell
Who's Mat Lafleur? I don't think he's worked with any good QB's................

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:41 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:35 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 pm
How about slow safeties that take poor angles? Something like that? :-^
I'm crediting you with six tackles, a hurry, and half a sack for that single astute observation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:54 pm

lutecat wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:24 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:10 pm
Interview with Taylor Housewright: https://anchor.fm/gabe-kennedy/episodes ... -HS-eh03u1

This is one heck of an interview from Taylor on his coaching journey. Some quick facts:

- He went through 5 different OC/QB coaches through 5 years of college at Ashland (later he took it as a positive for his coaching career as he got to pick 5 brains)
- Matt LaFleur was one of those OC's and recruited Taylor to Ashland
- As a younger guy, he has realistic thoughts on recruiting and where it will continue to go (Twitter etiquette matters!)
- He was a bar manager in South Carolina when he got a call to coach at his first gig. Jumped into a car at 10:00 am to get there by 8:00 pm to get to practice the next day. Quit his job over the phone on the way. He coached in his first game calling plays without knowing barely any of the kids names. Was just throwing out numbers haha (the entire bar manager job story is great)
- Taylor has been around about 12-15 offensive minds who've mentored him over the years
- Based on how he talks, he isn't afraid to make fun of himself and seems laid back yet competitive as hell
Who's Mat Lafleur? I don't think he's worked with any good QB's................
Yeah, but his brother was a championship Dodgeball player.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:45 pm

kwcat wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:37 am
🤓
[media] [/media]

Couldn’t resist!
There is way too much truth than fiction here (up to and including the fact that my wife's name is Penny!!). I have a PhD in an engineering field, so the things I enjoy about sports are often very different than what everyone else enjoys. I love the merging of analysis and having to actually execute it on a field. I love watching an offensive coordinator run a play in the first quarter to set up a play later in the game. Much to the chagrin of some people around me, I also love discussing the future possibilities created by running said first quarter play just after the play happened (or while the play is happening). I am a nerd and proud of it and my primary nerd domain is over-analyzing sports (especially football and baseball) before, during, and after the event.

I'm glad you didn't resist poking fun in my direction. I sometimes forget that not everyone watches sports the same way I do. My wife has asked me if I actually enjoy watching games of the teams I love and I can honestly say that the answer is probably no. I endure it. Then, when the game is over, I analyze everything to help me fine-tune my observation skills so I can better understand the strategy deployed in the next game. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

That being said, the outcome of MSU football games matters to me more than any other teams I'm invested in. Other than the five years I lived out of the area, I've had season tickets to Bobcat football since 1990. I was in the stands for every one of the home games when I've lived here. That's probably why I was a little overexcited by the new offense likely coming to Bozeman. I've seen it before...and it works!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:20 pm

Housewright bringing his guy? Ha...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:26 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:20 pm

We can always use more WRs.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm

CelticCat wrote:

Wow, a grad transfer with three years of eligibility! First time I have seen that. I realize one year is because 2020 did not count ... but still!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:52 pm

imacat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm
CelticCat wrote:

Wow, a grad transfer with three years of eligibility! First time I have seen that. I realize one year is because 2020 did not count ... but still!!!
Interesting - even though he got benched in the bowl game, not bad QB rating but sucks for an Oregon QB rating
Stats wise - 0 receptions but 18 yards ?
2 solo tackles and 1 assist -- must have been on fumbles and interceptions? Or maybe he was on special teams.
Sounds more and more like someone we know.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ugh-1.html

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:37 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:52 pm
imacat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm
CelticCat wrote:

Interesting - even though he got benched in the bowl game, not bad QB rating but sucks for an Oregon QB rating
Stats wise - 0 receptions but 18 yards ?
2 solo tackles and 1 assist -- must have been on fumbles and interceptions? Or maybe he was on special teams.
Sounds more and more like someone we know.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ugh-1.html
He is a good QB. Accuracy issues at times, not a super strong arm, but he is good at running the rpo game. He had a couple games this year where he was great, and a couple where he was non existent. I'd be excited if he came to MSU but he will definitely find a power 5 home.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:29 am

I could really see guys like Ifanse, Sumner, Hosey (+ all RB's) really really thriving in this system. It seemed like NDSU always had 2 1,000 yard rushers under Vigen. His RB's in Wyoming got plenty of carries.

Fitzgerald, Davis and Snell may have more opportunities in Vigen's offense as well.

In regards to QB's, MSU has the exact QB's Vigen seems to recruit. Rovig, Bauman, and McKay all have the size and athleticism. I'd love to see Bauman develop under Vigen - guys with his size, arm, and athleticism really don't show up in FCS much.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:00 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:29 am
I could really see guys like Ifanse, Sumner, Hosey (+ all RB's) really really thriving in this system. It seemed like NDSU always had 2 1,000 yard rushers under Vigen. His RB's in Wyoming got plenty of carries.

Fitzgerald, Davis and Snell may have more opportunities in Vigen's offense as well.

In regards to QB's, MSU has the exact QB's Vigen seems to recruit. Rovig, Bauman, and McKay all have the size and athleticism. I'd love to see Bauman develop under Vigen - guys with his size, arm, and athleticism really don't show up in FCS much.
Do we even know what "this system" means yet? has Vigen said anything about what "system" he's going to run? I assume it for 2021 it will be largely based on the players we currently have on the roster. Someone said in another post something about Ifanse thriving in this system (more so than in Choate's system?) and I was just wondering if I missed something.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:00 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:26 pm
CelticCat wrote:

We can always use more WRs.
I caught that.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:12 am

catatac wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:00 am
Bozcat003 wrote:

Do we even know what "this system" means yet? has Vigen said anything about what "system" he's going to run? I assume it for 2021 it will be largely based on the players we currently have on the roster. Someone said in another post something about Ifanse thriving in this system (more so than in Choate's system?) and I was just wondering if I missed something.
I guess I'm assuming he is going to try to implement the system (or similar) that he used at NDSU and Wyoming. Power run, fullback, H-Backs a great offensive line, and a bigger QB who has athleticism + a big arm

MSU has a great RB crew [Ifanse, Sumner, Hosey, Martin, Elliot who did well in spring(fall) ball], a very good and experienced OL, I could see Snell being the ideal H-back, and maybe Davis/Fitzgerald being the fullback? So to me, we have a lot (all?) of the pieces already in place so running his NDSU/Wyoming system isn't out of the question. I think we ran a power/zone run scheme the last few years - but mostly out of the shotgun formation, I think we will see way more under center under Vigen.

I think the offense as a whole is going to benefit from this hire. A lot could be said about Wyoming's QB's lack of accuracy the past 2 years - but it seems like a lot of his guys at Wyoming were thrown out there before they were ready due to injuries or lack of depth. It's impressive the QB's he either coached or recruited and how many are in the NFL or at least got a chance (Jensen, Stick, Wentz, Allen). Rovig, McKay, and Bauman seem to fit the type of QB's he goes after.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:

McKay is the only one of those three that’s a similar athlete as to what Vigen has had. Rovig isn’t a statue, but he isn’t much of an athlete. Bauman is a good athlete for his size, but he isn’t anything like Wentz, Allen, Jensen, or Stick, in that regard.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 pm

Rovig is tall, with an average arm and limited movement skills.

McKay has a slightly above average arm and very good mobility. He’s tall, but not real thick.

Bauman has excellent size, a huge arm, limited accuracy and just okay movement skills. I have yet to see him play to his supposed athleticism.

I’m not sure any of these guys are a lot like what Vigen has had in the past, but McKay is the most similar and most skilled, in my opinion.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:04 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:

McKay is the only one of those three that’s a similar athlete as to what Vigen has had. Rovig isn’t a statue, but he isn’t much of an athlete. Bauman is a good athlete for his size, but he isn’t anything like Wentz, Allen, Jensen, or Stick, in that regard.
Will be interesting to see how Mellott has matured. That kid is a real leader.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:07 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 pm

McKay has a slightly above average arm and very good mobility. He’s tall, but not real thick.

Bauman has excellent size, a huge arm, limited accuracy and just okay movement skills. I have yet to see him play to his supposed athleticism.

I’m not sure any of these guys are a lot like what Vigen has had in the past, but McKay is the most similar and most skilled, in my opinion.
I know Mellott isn't quite the same size wise as those guys, but athletically he's pretty dang close. I have no idea if he'd be ready in 21 but could he be the perfect QB for Vigen?

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:09 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 pm

I do agree McKay is more the “complete package” than the others, and will likely start in my opinion.
bobcatbob wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:04 pm
[quote=bobcat99 post_id=723711 time=<a href="tel:1613242757">1613242757</a> user_id=16477]
[quote=Bozcat003 post_id=723689 time=<a href="tel:1613233769">1613233769</a> user_id=16066]

[/quote]

Will be interesting to see how Mellott has matured. That kid is a real leader.
[/quote]
Agreed with Mellott, Choate spoke very highly of him during the fall camp as well. Natural leader, seems to have the “it” factor. Really excited to see how all the QB’s develop. Hopefully MSU can start getting some consistency from the OC/QB

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:12 am
catatac wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:00 am
Bozcat003 wrote:

I guess I'm assuming he is going to try to implement the system (or similar) that he used at NDSU and Wyoming. Power run, fullback, H-Backs a great offensive line, and a bigger QB who has athleticism + a big arm

MSU has a great RB crew [Ifanse, Sumner, Hosey, Martin, Elliot who did well in spring(fall) ball], a very good and experienced OL, I could see Snell being the ideal H-back, and maybe Davis/Fitzgerald being the fullback? So to me, we have a lot (all?) of the pieces already in place so running his NDSU/Wyoming system isn't out of the question. I think we ran a power/zone run scheme the last few years - but mostly out of the shotgun formation, I think we will see way more under center under Vigen.

I think the offense as a whole is going to benefit from this hire. A lot could be said about Wyoming's QB's lack of accuracy the past 2 years - but it seems like a lot of his guys at Wyoming were thrown out there before they were ready due to injuries or lack of depth. It's impressive the QB's he either coached or recruited and how many are in the NFL or at least got a chance (Jensen, Stick, Wentz, Allen). Rovig, McKay, and Bauman seem to fit the type of QB's he goes after.
I’m curious to see what Vigen does with Martin too. Recruited as LB, switched to RB after injuries to Ifanse and others paired with a loaded LB room. Does he play FB? Go back to LB?