MSU's Next Offensive Coordinator

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU's Next Offensive Coordinator

Post by Bocephus » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:03 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:30 pm
Bocephus wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:15 pm
Uffda. Pretty inexperienced. Vigen must want someone he can mold it running his offense
Udy started out at Eastern Oregon (NAIA) as an offensive coach from 2011-2015. Was an offensive coordinator at South Dakota School of Mines for two seasons (2016 and 2017). Was an analyst for Matt Wells at Utah State in 2018 then Texas Tech in 2019 before being hired by Choate.

Housewright was an All-American Division II QB in 2012. GA'd at Miami (OH) from 2013-2014. Full-Time WR coach at a Div. III school (Whittenberg) in 2015. Then went back to his alma mater Ashland in 2016-2017 where he coached WR one year and DB's the next. Then he took an offensive GA role at Wyoming under Vigen in 2018, working with TEs and RBs. Then he was an offensive quality control coach at Mississippi State in 2019 and went to Oregon in 2020 as an offensive analyst.

I guess I don't see a world of difference there in experience other than Udy has OC experience at the Division II level (which does matter because any experience is valuable). I can't preach this to everyone enough: Vigen should be allowed to hire whoever he wants and if saw something in Houseright, let it rip with no regrets.

And everyone should really listen to that interview I posted in the OP. Taylor sounds like a great dude. His best advices for young football coaches trying to break into the business: "Don't do it for the money. It's a long road and takes a lot of work." Quite honestly sounds like a guy you can have a 5 hour conversation with about football and life over some beers in the backyard.
I am definitely rooting for him and you are right on the Matt Miller comparison.

Having your head coach be a seasoned OC will definitely iron out the wrinkles.

Young, hungry and brilliant guys make the best coaches.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:50 pm
Team10 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:18 pm
Team10 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:07 pm
Don’t know that I like the thought of Oregon’s weak ass finicky rpo offense being integrated with the power run game the team is designed for.
We were already an RPO-based offense that mixed both inside zone running and gap/power concepts based on various formations. Matt Miller already had an RPO offense established and Udy was installing some more of his wrinkles into it. We didn't really have a dual-threat QB to make it a true threat (for example, Dakota Prukop was great at it). I really don't think things are going to change all that much but if Wainwright has his own wrinkles, toss them in and see what you get.

Raw deal for Udy but him staying here was likely dependent on MSU hiring a defensive coach. I really don't think he'll stay so good luck to him.
I am aware the Cats and quite literally EVERY other high school and college team runs some type of rpo. I’m saying specifically that Oregon’s style rpo is weak and requires a different type of personnel. Unfortunate for Udy that he didn’t get an opportunity to make a single play call for the Cats.
Have you watched Oregon lately?
Really unsure why you haven’t changed your name yet?!? 😂

Hating the griz since 02.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:13 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:03 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Team10 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:
Don’t know that I like the thought of Oregon’s weak ass finicky rpo offense being integrated with the power run game the team is designed for.
We were already an RPO-based offense that mixed both inside zone running and gap/power concepts based on various formations. Matt Miller already had an RPO offense established and Udy was installing some more of his wrinkles into it. We didn't really have a dual-threat QB to make it a true threat (for example, Dakota Prukop was great at it). I really don't think things are going to change all that much but if Wainwright has his own wrinkles, toss them in and see what you get.

Raw deal for Udy but him staying here was likely dependent on MSU hiring a defensive coach. I really don't think he'll stay so good luck to him.
I am aware the Cats and quite literally EVERY other high school and college team runs some type of rpo. I’m saying specifically that Oregon’s style rpo is weak and requires a different type of personnel. Unfortunate for Udy that he didn’t get an opportunity to make a single play call for the Cats.
Agreed, seems like he’s kinda bitch’in out

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:24 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:13 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:03 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Team10 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Agreed, seems like he’s kinda bitch’in out
I don’t think it’s possible.

Hey btw, heard beards grow fast and long when you’re abstinent for a long time. Explains that muskrat you got hanging off your chin.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:29 pm

Good read on Joe Moorhead’s offense, hopefully that carries over with Housewright.

https://fishduck.com/2020/01/the-joe-mo ... ormations/

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:31 pm

I wonder if Udy would stick around and coach WR's? Maybe give him a pass coordinator title like Frazier.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:32 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:31 pm
I wonder if Udy would stick around and coach WR's? Maybe give him a pass coordinator title like Frazier.
That’s my hope.

Or maybe quarterbacks. The new offensive coordinator seems to have more experience with running backs and tight ends so maybe he’ll do the one of those plus OC
Last edited by Bozcat003 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:33 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
+1

dayday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dayday » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:35 pm

He’s no coach Rosey/Pease experience wise but hey let the dude be the OC and see what he can do before criticizing it. I’ll be interested if it is more Wyoming/NDSU offense or more Joe Moorehead scheme based. I’d think it’s going to be more like Wyoming with a power run game but it is interesting.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:43 pm

Bocephus wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:33 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
+1
Gonna comfortably go with a no. I don't think Udy is going to be settled getting a roughly $40,000 pay cut for something out of his control. Even if he gets the passing game coordinator title, he is an OC/QB coach. I think he will pursue other opportunities whatever they may be.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:32 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
That’s my hope.

Or maybe quarterbacks. The new offensive coordinator seems to have more experience with running backs and tight ends so maybe he’ll do the one of those plus OC
He was an all-american QB and has also coached the position along with others (much like McGhee).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:49 pm

What are we hearing about the other assistants?

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:50 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Team10 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Watched em lose to Oregon State, Cal and Iowa State. Have you?

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:54 pm

I love all the Oregon comments. The guy was an analyst, much like Kane at Washington. He likely had minimal effect on any game plan. Lets see what he brings to the table, maybe give him a game, before we start to complain about what kind of offense he may run.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:54 pm
I love all the Oregon comments. The guy was an analyst, much like Kane at Washington. He likely had minimal effect on any game plan. Lets see what he brings to the table, maybe give him a game, before we start to complain about what kind of offense he may run.
Come on now, this is far too reasonable a take for Bobcat Nation over the last two weeks!

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:16 pm

Thank you. I doubt the apple falls far from the tree on this one. Running 11 personnel that much will be absolutely fantastic in creating mismatches within the offense, especially when playing hurry-up. Sounds like an offensive game plan that will not only play well in the Big Sky, but also in the playoffs.
Bocephus wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:29 pm
Good read on Joe Moorhead’s offense, hopefully that carries over with Housewright.

https://fishduck.com/2020/01/the-joe-mo ... ormations/

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:19 pm

Maybe Vigen figured since he's going to call the plays anyway he might as well get a young guy he can mold for cheap. That way he has more money available for his DC.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:29 pm

Team10 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:50 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Team10 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Watched em lose to Oregon State, Cal and Iowa State. Have you?
Yes. Don’t think I’d consider their OL, or their scheme, to be soft.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:31 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:19 pm
Maybe Vigen figured since he's going to call the plays anyway he might as well get a young guy he can mold for cheap. That way he has more money available for his DC.
Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, Coach Vigen thinks Housewright will help take this team to the next level. Maybe he understands that is what is expected and he will be accountable for. So just maybe Coach Vigen thinks this hire will help the Bobcat win. Like I said, just spitballing.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:34 pm

rivercat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:31 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:19 pm
Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, Coach Vigen thinks Housewright will help take this team to the next level. Maybe he understands that is what is expected and he will be accountable for. So just maybe Coach Vigen thinks this hire will help the Bobcat win. Like I said, just spitballing.
I think you are disagreeing with me but we could both be right.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!