MSU's Next Defensive Coordinator

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MSU's Next Defensive Coordinator

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:24 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am
I wonder what we will see in a Coach Banks Defense? I really like his connection to Texas. Athletes from that state have been good to us and it would be great to keep that connection. My only worry is the lack of experience. That is kind of a cliché statement, but this defense is built to really roll right now, the experiment window of opportunity is small. In Vigen we Trust!
I don't have any insight about Banks, but I'll just say it seems like something is changing in football, where young coaches are popping up everywhere and doing a great job. Kellen Moore, Matt Lefleur, Sean McVay. A lack of experience doesn't worry me so much, as long as they've shown an uncommon skill set, and I think Vigen and his contacts have the ability to sniff that out.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:39 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:24 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am
I wonder what we will see in a Coach Banks Defense? I really like his connection to Texas. Athletes from that state have been good to us and it would be great to keep that connection. My only worry is the lack of experience. That is kind of a cliché statement, but this defense is built to really roll right now, the experiment window of opportunity is small. In Vigen we Trust!
I don't have any insight about Banks, but I'll just say it seems like something is changing in football, where young coaches are popping up everywhere and doing a great job. Kellen Moore, Matt Lefleur, Sean McVay. A lack of experience doesn't worry me so much, as long as they've shown an uncommon skill set, and I think Vigen and his contacts have the ability to sniff that out.
For example, Nevada's DC in 2020 was Brian Ward. His previous stops were:

2016-19: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Syracuse
2015: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Bowling Green
2012-14: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Western Illinois
2011: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Drake
2010: Assistant Coach/DBs, North Dakota State

He coached Freddie at NDSU in 2010 (who would've thought that 2010 game would have so many future ramifications for our coaching staff AND NDSU's playoff confidence). 2010 was Brian's last year as a position coach as he's been a DC ever since, rising up through the ranks. He obviously gave Freddie a great referral and Brent has trust there since he & Brian coached together in 2010. This all tells me Freddie is ready for his "shot" as a DC after years of learning the craft. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table because we have great quality depth on defense and a ton of players who can fit into different schemes. The cupboard is definitely not bare so Freddie will have a full hand to work with when he starts.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:32 pm

D-Wreck wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:28 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:11 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:46 pm
New DC by 11:00am Tuesday?
The announcement will come before 7:30pm Thursday.

You will be excited about the pick.
I don't believe this. I WON'T LET YOU HURT ME AGAIN!
....looks like I pulled through again.

What can I say except, You’re Welcome......sang in a Rock voice from Moana.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:14 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:44 pm
Looks like our Texas recruiting just got stronger!

I wonder if we'll keep Risinger at CBs, move him to Safeties, or if he'll leave? Vigen might end up keeping the entire staff he inherited intact and only filling the holes which would be impressive and great for continuity in his first season.
In his press conference Vigen mentioned Texas as an area he wants to recruit.

imacat

Post by imacat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:18 pm
gtapp wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 am
bob12 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:26 am
I will start by saying that I do not know enough about Udy, but there is something in these last few weeks that has left me wondering. I have to know, what is the infatuation with Udy with some of the posters here? Sure, the timing of all of this was "unfair" to what he was originally hired for, but he hasn't shown us any reason for this amount of fan support (that I know of). Don't get me wrong, I love the support, but why is he the ONE coach a lot of you guys are hanging your hat on? Is it just that it's the last smoke that was blown up all of our asses by Choate? The players can't know him better than the other coaches that are still around. Just why the undeterred support for someone that is relatively fresh to the program? I loved Kramer, hated Ash, loved Choate (for transparency), I have no strong feelings on the hire of Vigen and I definitely don't want any of the assistants to lose their jobs because of Choate's departure. I just don't get this board and what is continually posted.
For me it is two reasons: 1) As part of the QB Club I got to listen to a presentation he made about offensive football and I came away very impressed. 2) It was rumored that Udy was a coach Choate was going to take with him to Boise if he got the job. If that is true he must have made a strong impression on Choate.
Agree with all that. To piggyback, I just feel for the guy as a human being, he had to be excited to finally get the opportunity to become an OC, and to have it taken away by unforeseeable circumstances out of his control is just a tough break, and I'm rooting for him to make an impact at MSU so that he can hopefully get another opportunity to be an OC in the near future. He was very impressive when talking to BQC, that made a big impression on me. I was really excited to see what he was going to bring to the table.
I have similar feelings except I have no personal interaction with him. I would not recognize Udy if he were sitting right next to me. The timing was a tough break for him. I wish he would have gotten a chance to show what he could do.

BTW, this does not mean I think Vigen should have kept Udy as OC. He needed to fill that position with someone he is comfortable with.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:40 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 am
bob12 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:26 am
I will start by saying that I do not know enough about Udy, but there is something in these last few weeks that has left me wondering. I have to know, what is the infatuation with Udy with some of the posters here? Sure, the timing of all of this was "unfair" to what he was originally hired for, but he hasn't shown us any reason for this amount of fan support (that I know of). Don't get me wrong, I love the support, but why is he the ONE coach a lot of you guys are hanging your hat on? Is it just that it's the last smoke that was blown up all of our asses by Choate? The players can't know him better than the other coaches that are still around. Just why the undeterred support for someone that is relatively fresh to the program? I loved Kramer, hated Ash, loved Choate (for transparency), I have no strong feelings on the hire of Vigen and I definitely don't want any of the assistants to lose their jobs because of Choate's departure. I just don't get this board and what is continually posted.
For me it is two reasons: 1) As part of the QB Club I got to listen to a presentation he made about offensive football and I came away very impressed. 2) It was rumored that Udy was a coach Choate was going to take with him to Boise if he got the job. If that is true he must have made a strong impression on Choate.
I don’t have “undeterred support” or think he was the “ONE we must have”....or all the other love quotes in your note. But I did want to see what the guy could do at MSU. He seemed to be a potential “up and comer”. And I did listen to him talk about offensive football like gtapp did.

Some of the things I liked about the guy was his ties to region (played ball in Oregon and coached in South Dakota and Utah). Second, As OC his SDSM team set 7 school offensive records in 3 years. Third, I liked that he went to the FBS level at Utah State and ....Fourth, that Matt Wells thought enough of Udy that he drug him along to Texas Tech as an Offensive Analyst. That tells me that Udy was the real deal...that Wells felt good enough to take him along into a Power 5 conference team. Fifth, I think Texas Tech is an excellent development assignment for an offensive minded person. I watched Texas Tech 11 years living there and they were consistently one of top offenses in the country....never could win conference because of defense...,you know....score 35 let other team score 40...I think 2019 TT ranked 7th in nation in passing when Udy was there. They were known for excellent QB play...Doege, Harrell, Kingsberry, and a guy who suits up on Sunday named Mahones. I was hoping he brought some of that learning experience back here with him. And finally, I don’t think this was Choate “blowing smoke up someones ass”...Choate made good decisions about people in my opinion.

But I’m ready to move on to support new regime....but glad they kept Udy for awhile as a WR coach.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Udy wasn’t there for any of those QB’s you mentioned. Neither was Matt Wells.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:22 pm
Nope. But TT went through 3 coaches while I watched and continued a long legacy of offensive excellence. And before you jump me...yes I know they had a crappy season his first year there. But he took their 3rd string QB off the bench after starter suffered shoulder injury...who then threw for 2840 yards with a 65% completion rate.

Wells did not due exceptionally bad at Utah State winning 2 titles and finishing 2nd a couple times. Udy probably could have learned a few things from the OC at Texas Tech ya think? David Yost who coached at Oregon, Missouri and WSU. Yost is well known for his work with QB and WR....being cited as one of best at QB development. Coaching Brad Smith who threw for 8000 yards and ran for 4000 yards. He also worked with Chase Daniels who was a Heisman finalist and Blaine Gabbert who was a first round NFL draft choice.

And as I said above, Wells would not have brought a “cast off dead beat” with him to a Power 5 program...and perhaps Udy could have picked up a few things from a pretty good offensive coach in player development.

But again, I am not saying Udy should be the OC. I am glad Coach Vigen is bringing a good staff together. I was only answering why I thought he was an interesting person worthy of receiving a shot at OC by Choate. I don’t have any more to say about this subject.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:56 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Nope. But TT went through 3 coaches while I watched and continued a long legacy of offensive excellence. And before you jump me...yes I know they had a crappy season his first year there. But he took their 3rd string QB off the bench after starter suffered shoulder injury...who then threw for 2840 yards with a 65% completion rate.

Wells did not due exceptionally bad at Utah State winning 2 titles and finishing 2nd a couple times. Udy probably could have learned a few things from the OC at Texas Tech ya think? David Yost who coached at Oregon, Missouri and WSU. Yost is well known for his work with QB and WR....being cited as one of best at QB development. Coaching Brad Smith who threw for 8000 yards and ran for 4000 yards. He also worked with Chase Daniels who was a Heisman finalist and Blaine Gabbert who was a first round NFL draft choice.

And as I said above, Wells would not have brought a “cast off dead beat” with him to a Power 5 program...and perhaps Udy could have picked up a few things from a pretty good offensive coach in player development.

But again, I am not saying Udy should be the OC. I am glad Coach Vigen is bringing a good staff together. I was only answering why I thought he was an interesting person worthy of receiving a shot at OC by Choate. I don’t have any more to say about this subject.
I talked a bit about how good Wells and Yost are when Udy got hired. I like them a lot. I just didn’t quite see how a bunch of qbs that weren’t there when Udy was had anything to do with him.

Anyways, our new OC also had a very good offensive coach bring him to two stops, so there’s some promise there as well.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

Sooooooo, curious IF Udy applied to be the DC?

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bob12 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:26 am

Last edited by bob12 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:01 am

Banks was tied for second on the team in tackles (6) in the 2010 playoff game. 2 solo, 4 assisted.

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm

Is the hiring of Banks official? I haven't read all the posts in all the threads because unfortunately I have a job, but I did think it would get its own thread with maybe a press conference video. If I missed it maybe someone can help me find it. Go Cats!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Vigen has been saying since last week that he hoped to have the coaching staff finalized by today. Anyone know if that the case and if so is there going to be an announcement and/or press conference early next week introducing the new guys?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:50 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Vigen has been saying since last week that he hoped to have the coaching staff finalized by today. Anyone know if that the case and if so is there going to be an announcement and/or press conference early next week introducing the new guys?
Twitter Profiles:

Freddie Banks (DC) - https://twitter.com/CoachBanks_NV
Shawn Howe (DL/Def. Run Game Coordinator) - https://twitter.com/CoachHowe
Taylor Housewright (OC/QB) - https://twitter.com/Coach__House
Tyler Walker (Director of Recruiting) - https://twitter.com/CoachTWalker

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:34 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:50 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:51 pm

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:50 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:51 pm
Defensive line and run game coordinator??!!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:52 pm

technoCat wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:50 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:51 pm
Defensive line and run game coordinator??!!
I thought the same thing when I saw that. However, Tucker Yates did line up at fullback once or twice when Choate was coaching.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter