Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by SACCAT » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:46 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 am
rollo_tumasi wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 pm
Will his kids be Hawks or Raptors?

He said on Cat Chat last night that his son(s) will be Raptors.
Great News for the Raptors...

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:06 pm

I like that Vigen is letting coordinators call plays. Hopefully that's not just an in-game thing. I know he'll have his hands on everything, but I'm hopeful his management style is to get the right people and let them work. I thought that was a weakness of Choate, at least early on. Maybe I'm off base and that he needed to do that, but I felt like he micromanaged a little too much and it ran some good people off. I get that he needed everybody rowing in the same direction, so maybe the flaw was that he got the wrong people to start with.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm

It seems like whenever I listen to Colter talk on his show about the Bobcats these days I'm really excited about the players and scared about the coaches.

Will Vigen and Co. screw up a good thing? Will the players be able to overcome being used incorrectly and/or differently than what they're used to? How will it work out with a first time HC, OC, DC? How long will the transition period last?

I have a feeling we'll lose some games this year that we would have won with Choate. This year might be a step backwards, not sideways. We may be on a much better trajectory in another year or two once the new coaches/system settle in but it could be a bumpy road in 2021 and even 2022.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:31 pm

I haven’t listened, but what is Colter saying that would lead you to believe we’ll do worse and that the coaches are subpar already?

Good grief people. Choate wasn’t some super human coach. Let’s maybe get to one game before we get too worried.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Every change made by Vigen is being analyzed and questioned. That's just the way it goes.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:31 pm
I haven’t listened, but what is Colter saying that would lead you to believe we’ll do worse and that the coaches are subpar already?

Good grief people. Choate wasn’t some super human coach. Let’s maybe get to one game before we get too worried.
I think the adjustment to moving guys around on defense, and potentially not using them where they are strongest could lead to some issues at least early on. I also think having your top three coaches in their respective positions for the first time has a likely chance of causing issues with in-game decision making. I don't have any reason to believe the coaches are subpar yet and I'm not saying that. I just think it's going to be rocky. I'm also not saying Choate was some super human coach, though I did like the guy.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:06 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

I think the adjustment to moving guys around on defense, and potentially not using them where they are strongest could lead to some issues at least early on. I also think having your top three coaches in their respective positions for the first time has a likely chance of causing issues with in-game decision making. I don't have any reason to believe the coaches are subpar yet and I'm not saying that. I just think it's going to be rocky. I'm also not saying Choate was some super human coach, though I did like the guy.
Fill me in on the "moving guys around on defense." Are they trying to fill holes where we don't have better players? Are they trying to determine where the player is strongest? Are they trying to give players experience so we have at least an adequate backup in the event of injury? I think I've read on BN that we are going more to a 4-3 vs. a 3-4 this year. Are they looking for fits in the new system? Are you saying that where ever a player played last year is their strongest position? I'm not too worried about Vigen's move to HC. I think he's had enough experience to make the transition pretty easily. Don't know about the other two guys, but I imagine a part of a head coach's job is coaching coaches so maybe we're okay there, too.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:11 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm
It seems like whenever I listen to Colter talk on his show about the Bobcats these days I'm really excited about the players and scared about the coaches.

Will Vigen and Co. screw up a good thing? Will the players be able to overcome being used incorrectly and/or differently than what they're used to? How will it work out with a first time HC, OC, DC? How long will the transition period last?

I have a feeling we'll lose some games this year that we would have won with Choate. This year might be a step backwards, not sideways. We may be on a much better trajectory in another year or two once the new coaches/system settle in but it could be a bumpy road in 2021 and even 2022.
It's probably normal to question the new guy. And he's a first time head coach, so he'll make some mistakes just like Choate did. Hopefully not as many as Choate, honestly. We were much more willing to give Choate a pass on how green he was because he had to fix some things. Nothing right now needs to be fixed, so Vigen is in a little bit of a lose-lose situation. You win and Choate gets credit for getting the right guys and his culture carrying over. You lose and you screwed everything up. If things don't go well, Vigen will get the blame, but as much as I love Choate, he's the guy who left and forced MSU back into the position where they needed to find somebody new, and that always introduces an unknown into the mix. I don't blame Jeff either--you gotta do what's right for you and your future. But Vigen will get more criticism than he deserves, even if things go well.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:16 pm

coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Specifics on the moving around please. I don’t think anybody moved players around more than Choate.

I don’t want to say anything about Colter bc I haven’t heard what you’re talking about, but he used to rag a lot of Choate’s decisions too.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:23 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:11 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm

It's probably normal to question the new guy. And he's a first time head coach, so he'll make some mistakes just like Choate did. Hopefully not as many as Choate, honestly. We were much more willing to give Choate a pass on how green he was because he had to fix some things. Nothing right now needs to be fixed, so Vigen is in a little bit of a lose-lose situation. You win and Choate gets credit for getting the right guys and his culture carrying over. You lose and you screwed everything up. If things don't go well, Vigen will get the blame, but as much as I love Choate, he's the guy who left and forced MSU back into the position where they needed to find somebody new, and that always introduces an unknown into the mix. I don't blame Jeff either--you gotta do what's right for you and your future. But Vigen will get more criticism than he deserves, even if things go well.
Agreed. Choate came in at a low point and turned things around. That and his personality is why people will always have a positive view of his tenure. Vigen is coming in to a rising team with lots of potential to get even better so if he doesn't at a minimum have the same results as the last year or so under Choate people will be very disappointed. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic (and really looking forward to some real football to talk about).

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:23 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:16 pm
coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Specifics on the moving around please. I don’t think anybody moved players around more than Choate.

I don’t want to say anything about Colter bc I haven’t heard what you’re talking about, but he used to rag a lot of Choate’s decisions too.
This is interesting to me. Choate had never been a HC before and I don't believe had been even a coordinator in his last like 5 stops. He took a year or 2 but did an excellent job overall. He built a winning program with much less than what Vigen is getting. Not sure I would subscribe to the step backwards under Vigen. Time will tell.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:37 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:23 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:16 pm
coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

This is interesting to me. Choate had never been a HC before and I don't believe had been even a coordinator in his last like 5 stops. He took a year or 2 but did an excellent job overall. He built a winning program with much less than what Vigen is getting. Not sure I would subscribe to the step backwards under Vigen. Time will tell.
I think just from the improved QB play (McKay is a lot better than what we’ve seen lately), it’s hard to see us taking a step back.

Coaches are gonna move players around to what fits their scheme the best. Like you said, time will tell. I just haven’t seen anything to be real worried about.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:05 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:33 pm
I can’t wait to see what Vigen does with Ifanse. I can see him going over 1,000 yards easily this year.
Called that one….

Punters are people too!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:18 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:59 pm
I remember when we won 3 national championships in a row and rolled over everyone but we really hated our OC for only scoring 30 points per game.

Could you imagine if we would have had Sean McVay and score 37 points per game!!

Then I’d be happy.
It’s…it’s happening!

Lol

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Vigen can coach, that much is clear. That was a focused, motivated, dominant team last night and while i don't know the outcome against sdsu, I know we're going to hang in and battle them. The move to Tommy and the way coach handled it (best of much to him but I'm going to talk about guys that are here) seems to have galvanized the team some. This week is going to be fun.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:31 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 pm
Vigen can coach, that much is clear. That was a focused, motivated, dominant team last night and while i don't know the outcome against sdsu, I know we're going to hang in and battle them. The move to Tommy and the way coach handled it (best of much to him but I'm going to talk about guys that are here) seems to have galvanized the team some. This week is going to be fun.
I ALMOST started a new thread but decided not to as I didn't want it to digress into something stupid...but I'm going to float my curiosity here:

What are we seeing?

Option A: A good coach (Vigen) who inherited a GREAT roster and is riding the previous staff's wave (we've all seen this happen at every level of football)

Option B: A GREAT coach (Vigen) who inherited a GREAT roster but has improved their play and is going to carve out his own legacy like Choate did

Option C: Something in between?

I LOVED Choate from the day he was hired and never questioned his ability to lead the Cats. I was bummed when he left, but when Castello hired Vigen, I felt like everything was going to be ok. I'm definitely a Vigen guy.

I was certainly among the Tommy doubters. I was as wrong as could be about that, which I'm excited about. He seems to be incredible.

So what are we seeing? The bigger question is...what do we have to look forward to? I personally think it's Option B...but I'd love to know what my fellow Cats thought.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:43 pm

IMO it’s B

Choate was an excellent builder & recruiter, but he stumbled at times with HC duties on the field - Vigen has not.

Remains to be seen if Vigen can recruit at the same level. He seems to be a culture curator as well, in line with the culture already established.

We are now an elite FCS program in good hands.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:56 pm

I think it's safe to say C for sure and possibly B. Choate had a great handle on what was needed for facilities and how to drive that discussion. He recruited well although struggled at QB and are we seeing some of his oline recruits struggle as well? Maybe not, these guys can still develop i think. I never warmed fully to choate as you did, I always felt that at least some of his persona was schtick, him playing the part, rather than fully genuine, but I'm aware that i could be totally off base and don't begrudge anyone who feels differently than I do. Bottom line, i think Vigen can coach, can galvanize and motivate a team, and we'll see how he curates a program. I'm pretty excited and optimistic though.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:38 pm

I think it will take a few years to know for sure. One season……it’s only been one season. I’m really interested in watching what recruits he brings in. I do have to say that he has really improved the defense this year, that’s undeniable. Who would have thought the defense this year would have been better than 2019? I sure didn’t see that coming.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:42 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:05 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:33 pm
I can’t wait to see what Vigen does with Ifanse. I can see him going over 1,000 yards easily this year.
Called that one….
Yup, went waaaaaay out on a limb with that prediction.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter