Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by MTnative » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:30 am

Coach V will know what it means to FEEL this rivalry, not just "understand it."

As a 12 year-old kid, I remember sitting in the Albertson's parking lot in Bozeman listening to the C-g game in 1997. I very vividly remember hearing the disappointment in Dean Alexander's voice after that field goal went through for the griz to seal the game. That moment was the catalyst that made me a die-hard Cats fan.

Fast forward to 2019, when the Cats pi$$ pounded the griz for the first time in recent memory. I was in a bar amongst some good natured griz fans who were taking the trash talking rather well, all things considered. When the clock read zeroes, I leaned over to one griz fan and said, "that one is for stealing the game in 1997." He looked at me and said "What are you talking about?" I had recounted to this "fan" a game in this rivalry's history that was one of the most memorable and he had no idea what I was talking about. What does that say about his "fandom," and what does that say about how Cat fans view history? I'm sure griz fans would say something smarmy to that idea, but to me that game was vengeance, and it was the ringing in of a new era. Beating the griz has become a point of pride, but it has also become a springboard event for the playoffs. Yes, I do think beating the maroon pirates on the other side of the divide is important, but I know that this team has so much more to prove and is postured very well to do that, especially with Coach V on board. The next four years, I expect us to be 4-0. And I also expect us to be in the chipper very soon.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:57 am

Griz fans: all cat fans care about is winning Cat/griz

Cat fans: turn a thread on the new football coach hire into at least 5 pages of "do we care about beating the pumpkin puke orangers or NC"...

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:45 am

lutecat wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:57 am

Cat fans: turn a thread on the new football coach hire into at least 5 pages of "do we care about beating the pumpkin puke orangers or NC"...
Those griz fans are irrelevant. Who gives a snit about what they say. I hope Vigen runs up the score.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:45 am
lutecat wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:57 am

Those griz fans are irrelevant. Who gives a snit about what they say. I hope Vigen runs up the score.
Apparently alot of the posters here. "Well sure, we could win a MC but griz fans will still say ____". It's been posted multiple times on this thread already.

asstastic

Post by asstastic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:54 am

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:37 pm
I started at MSU in 2002. Before then I had no ties to any school in MT. The only thing I knew was how annoying that griz radio announcer was. I didn't live through the streak and hadn't even heard of the streak until Cat/griz week of 2002. I somehow scored tickets to the game. Have only missed one since then (Miracle in Missoula), because watching the games with my Mom is more important than ensuring I go to every Cat/griz until I die. With all that said, I absolutely hate the griz. I hate the color maroon. And just seeing a griz license plate causes an inevitable slight swerve towards said vehicle while I'm passing. Somehow I married a griz and its undoubtedly the biggest issue in our marriage. Would I rather beat the griz than make the playoffs? I dont know. On years we make the playoffs but lose to the griz the playoffs dont feel right and it shows in attendance. Call me selfish, but we should never lose to um if we are title contenders. I wish there was six quarters last year and we continued to beat the SH!T out of those aholes. I loved the ESGGCG chant as the fans stormed the field last year. It was wonderful. It should have been on repeat. I will never forget Delaneys(sp?) last game in WaGriz. They beat us and then continued to rub it in our faces by turning the lights off, a fireworks show and the show went on and on. To hell with the dark pink. I do wish bad things upon them. I do hope they lose every game. So yes, I hate them. With every bone in my body. Its not an either or to me, you beat the griz and then you win the natty. And if at all possible, you beat the griz the Saturday before Thanksgiving and then you beat the crap out of them somewhere in the playoffs again and then win the natty.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:47 pm

Not to derail the C/G thread but:
Do we have to quit telling North Dakota jokes now that the head coach is from there? Inquiring minds want to know.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Only if we lose as he may take them personally.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

HiLineCat

Post by HiLineCat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:24 pm

I want to know if Vigen played in the Montana-North Dakota all-star game. I can't remember when the first one was, and I'm really disappointed that they are not going to play it anymore.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 am

rollo_tumasi wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 pm
Will his kids be Hawks or Raptors?

He said on Cat Chat last night that his son(s) will be Raptors.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:43 pm

My new favorite quote from Travis Jonsen on Cat Chat.

"The players were rocking. The stadium was rocking. The griz couldn't handle it." Travis Jonsen

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PortlandCat90

Post by PortlandCat90 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:01 am

FWIW, talked with the Uncle of a current player this weekend. Our daughters play volleyball together in Austin. Inside scoop is that Vigen is what he shows: very calm, somewhat reserved until you cross the line. Very technical towards the game and has a great sideline/lockerroom presence. Will leave the jumping, yelling and screaming to the asst coaches. Players highly respect him and it appears that everyone is moving in the same direction with the changes. Players loved Choate but they also believe Vigen brings that extra dose of game/technical knowledge to reach that next level. Not a bash on Choate (perfect for our program at the time) but there is some major buy-in at this point by the players. Trusted source from my standpoint.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:34 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:01 am
FWIW, talked with the Uncle of a current player this weekend. Our daughters play volleyball together in Austin. Inside scoop is that Vigen is what he shows: very calm, somewhat reserved until you cross the line. Very technical towards the game and has a great sideline/lockerroom presence. Will leave the jumping, yelling and screaming to the asst coaches. Players highly respect him and it appears that everyone is moving in the same direction with the changes. Players loved Choate but they also believe Vigen brings that extra dose of game/technical knowledge to reach that next level. Not a bash on Choate (perfect for our program at the time) but there is some major buy-in at this point by the players. Trusted source from my standpoint.
Thanks for posting this as I was wondering about buy in from the players noting that there is an obvious and distinct difference in style from Coach V to Choate! Ok boys, go get them!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:04 pm

I did not have a horse in the race when it came to the coaching search. Probably because I didn't know it happened.

If Vigen can maintain or improve on the high level of line play while also bringing in one or more quarterbacks who can actually pass the ball, I suspect 95% of us or more will love him.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 pm

Coach V was on the news tonight. Said his 3 coordinators (Housewright, Banks, Robertson) would be calling the plays so he can focus on his duties. Guess I was right. :-^

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:12 am

rivercat wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 pm
Coach V was on the news tonight. Said his 3 coordinators (Housewright, Banks, Robertson) would be calling the plays so he can focus on his duties. Guess I was right. :-^

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:14 am

Three?

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:14 am
Three?
Can't forget all three phases of the game! Offense, defense and special teams. BJ is the special teams coordinator.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:47 am

Is he an "assistant head coach" too?

-Trent King, Playmakers

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:50 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:47 am
According to the msubobcats.com website, he's "Associate Head Coach/Special Team Coordinator."

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:59 am

coachouert wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:50 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:47 am
According to the msubobcats.com website, he's "Associate Head Coach/Special Team Coordinator."
:lol:

Pretty silly if you ask me. That and talking about "special teams playcalling" as if it's equivalent to playcalling for offense or defense. Though at least we're not one of those teams who have separate meetings for cornerbacks and safeties.

-Trent King, Playmakers