Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:40 am
I wonder the contrast on this subject as it relates to when you became a fan. For me, I became a die hard in 2002, my 2nd year of college. I was never a fan during the streak, so since that fateful day in Missoula in 2002 when I was in the Marching Band watching the Cats snap the streak, my taste of the rivalry is evenly split 9-9 (9-8 if you discredit the 2011 game). One of my biggest bugaboos as a Cat fan is fans who are more interested in hating the Griz than rooting for the Cats.
I graduated in '84. My first meaningful C-G was Fall of '79. At one point we were 5-2 in C-G games that were meaningful to me. Then the bottom fell out. Year after year it felt inevitable. So many years a win was not possible. I remember thinking that if we could get seven turnovers we might have a chance. Many years our stadium was more maroon than blue during the game. The breaks ALWAYS went their way. The Ah Yat miracle pass in '95 (I think). The five interceptions we threw in a first half. One game during D McGee's reign, we got called for roughing their punter when our guy missed the punter by at least a foot and the ref fell for the punter's flop.

Their miracles weren't limited to games against us. Against Idaho State the Bengals lined up for a late FG up 4 or 5 points, hiked the ball over their holder's head and the dickh@@ds wound up scoring a 70-yard game-winning TD on the play (WHAT????). One year NAU was at Missoula and NAU's star QB (Cookus?) was thrown out in the 1st quarter for targeting. Has a QB ever been thrown out for targeting in any other NCAA game ever????

Year after year their entitled fans filled our stadium. Year after year they printed their playoff tickets in August (I know this because my Dad bought them every year). Year after year they got every god damn break in every game. They got so full of themselves they actually considered moving up to FBS. Arrogant jerks. During the worst of it, gri@@ gear was EVERYWHERE. 'Cat gear was nowhere. Walk into a bar in Plentywood? Six idiots were wearing maroon hats - even though none of them had ever been west of Jordan.

So yes, as a streak survivor, beating those pri@@'s is all that matters to me. Playoffs? 'Ships? Wonderful. I'll enjoy every minute and hang on every play. But nothing, NOTHING, rejuvenates my soul like beating those pink entitled ******@@ds.

(Side note - I was in a store in downtown Missoula last summer and there was 'Cat gear for sale. I nearly shat myself. If there was any sign that the worm was turning - that was it).

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:08 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:33 pm
As much as I loved the Beatdown in Bozeman I can't imagine how it must have felt for the guys that were in the stands for most/all of the streak.
The good feeling was almost indescribable. Sure we've beaten them plenty of times since the streak ended, but always it was close-always within one score. The beatdown game was such a liberating feeling. I couldn't believe it was happening and kept waiting for us to blow the lead-even well into the 4th quarter...but we just kept scoring. Oh my gosh-what a day that was.
I'll never forget how full the stadium was towards the very end of the game and even 10-15 minutes after time ran out. It seemed like every Bobcat fan in attendance was just reveling in it, soaking up the atmosphere, the cathartic feeling. Was honestly the most satisfying Bobcat win I've ever experienced, even over the 2002 streak breaker.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:37 pm
I started at MSU in 2002. Before then I had no ties to any school in MT. The only thing I knew was how annoying that griz radio announcer was. I didn't live through the streak and hadn't even heard of the streak until Cat/griz week of 2002. I somehow scored tickets to the game. Have only missed one since then (Miracle in Missoula), because watching the games with my Mom is more important than ensuring I go to every Cat/griz until I die. With all that said, I absolutely hate the griz. I hate the color maroon. And just seeing a griz license plate causes an inevitable slight swerve towards said vehicle while I'm passing. Somehow I married a griz and its undoubtedly the biggest issue in our marriage. Would I rather beat the griz than make the playoffs? I dont know. On years we make the playoffs but lose to the griz the playoffs dont feel right and it shows in attendance. Call me selfish, but we should never lose to um if we are title contenders. I wish there was six quarters last year and we continued to beat the SH!T out of those aholes. I loved the ESGGCG chant as the fans stormed the field last year. It was wonderful. It should have been on repeat. I will never forget Delaneys(sp?) last game in WaGriz. They beat us and then continued to rub it in our faces by turning the lights off, a fireworks show and the show went on and on. To hell with the dark pink. I do wish bad things upon them. I do hope they lose every game. So yes, I hate them. With every bone in my body. Its not an either or to me, you beat the griz and then you win the natty. And if at all possible, you beat the griz the Saturday before Thanksgiving and then you beat the crap out of them somewhere in the playoffs again and then win the natty.
My man, I salute you! =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

GO CATS GO!!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:53 pm

Only thing I’ve wondered about Coach Vigen, who in general I believe is an excellent hire, is that during his very first presser like the day after he was hired he said he understood the ‘Cat/g rivalry having been part of one previously in North Dakota. That told me that he did not understand ‘Cat/g — they didn’t even play each other for what, like 20 years? My North Dakota cousins had more arguments about whose fault that was than they did any actual football games. I’m sure Coach Vigen’s education on this matter continues every day.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:43 pm
That's funny, I have actually gone in to look at homes that I was thinking about purchasing, saw griz paraphernalia in the home, and turned around and walked out.

I have a good friend that was trying to do something very sweet, she hand knitted a beanie for our newborn baby last year. She’s not from around here, and her husband is a Wazzu grad, so she probably had extra yarn. Problem was, she used it. Tried to give us a maroon and silver hat for my son. She still doesn’t understand it to this day, but I didn’t allow it in my house. As you all know and understand, I was dead serious.

GO CATS GO!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 pm
AFCAT wrote:
That's funny, I have actually gone in to look at homes that I was thinking about purchasing, saw griz paraphernalia in the home, and turned around and walked out.

I have a good friend that was trying to do something very sweet, she hand knitted a beanie for our newborn baby last year. She’s not from around here, and her husband is a Wazzu grad, so she probably had extra yarn. Problem was, she used it. Tried to give us a maroon and silver hat for my son. She still doesn’t understand it to this day, but I didn’t allow it in my house. As you all know and understand, I was dead serious.
I went over to help my elderly Mother with a contractor that was visiting one of her rentals to give her a bid on new soffit and fascia. The guy looked around the property and seemed pleasant enough. When he left, I asked my Mom what she thought about him and she said, “Did you see his license plates? He’s a griz fan.” She gave the job to somebody else that gave a lower bid, but the griz fans plates didn’t help. She was way more observant than I was on that one.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:40 am

I've been a cat fan my entire football consciousness, most of which came during the streak. The 2019 stomping was wonderful, as I don't know that in ever remembered seeing a griz team with no answers. But the most impactful one for me was 2002, breaking the streak in their hallowed stadium, with a family gathering with my UM-alum relatives to follow. I'm going to remember how that felt for the rest of my life. Worst moment was the Ah Yat 1997 (?) game in bozeman where we kicked off out of bounds.

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:02 am

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I went over to help my elderly Mother with a contractor that was visiting one of her rentals to give her a bid on new soffit and fascia. The guy looked around the property and seemed pleasant enough. When he left, I asked my Mom what she thought about him and she said, “Did you see his license plates? He’s a griz fan.” She gave the job to somebody else that gave a lower bid, but the griz fans plates didn’t help. She was way more observant than I was on that one.
You guys are killing me! Glad that I'm not the only one. When our daughter was about 9 months old we had her in swim lessons where I was in the pool with her. One day, I had on my Cats swim trunks and the young dude teaching the class said (this was Portland at the time) "Oh wow! MSU! I am a Grizzly!" as if we were related and went to give me a high-five...my response to him was against everything I stand for but...

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:34 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:44 pm
CodyCat wrote:
I started at MSU in 2002. Before then I had no ties to any school in MT. The only thing I knew was how annoying that griz radio announcer was. I didn't live through the streak and hadn't even heard of the streak until Cat/griz week of 2002. I somehow scored tickets to the game. Have only missed one since then (Miracle in Missoula), because watching the games with my Mom is more important than ensuring I go to every Cat/griz until I die. With all that said, I absolutely hate the griz. I hate the color maroon. And just seeing a griz license plate causes an inevitable slight swerve towards said vehicle while I'm passing. Somehow I married a griz and its undoubtedly the biggest issue in our marriage. Would I rather beat the griz than make the playoffs? I dont know. On years we make the playoffs but lose to the griz the playoffs dont feel right and it shows in attendance. Call me selfish, but we should never lose to um if we are title contenders. I wish there was six quarters last year and we continued to beat the SH!T out of those aholes. I loved the ESGGCG chant as the fans stormed the field last year. It was wonderful. It should have been on repeat. I will never forget Delaneys(sp?) last game in WaGriz. They beat us and then continued to rub it in our faces by turning the lights off, a fireworks show and the show went on and on. To hell with the dark pink. I do wish bad things upon them. I do hope they lose every game. So yes, I hate them. With every bone in my body. Its not an either or to me, you beat the griz and then you win the natty. And if at all possible, you beat the griz the Saturday before Thanksgiving and then you beat the crap out of them somewhere in the playoffs again and then win the natty.
I like you.
I started at MSU in 2002 as well. My family is full of griz a-holes. My uncle played basketball for them in the 60s and all three of my older siblings went there. I’ll never forget thanksgiving 2002 at my uncles, “have you ever tried to catch a frozen football? Nearly impossible.” My response: Junior Adams didn’t seem to have a problem with it. My brother was attending UM in 2002 and he got us tickets in the student section. I remember him telling me, you better keep your coat zipped so they don’t see your cat gear after the game. Watching all those entitled babies sob in that student section was one of the great joys of my life. Being the same age as Lulay, even having some classes with him, gave me new hope and confidence. Kramer didn’t want to be the little brother and he did a pretty good job getting rid of that mentality in Lulay’s career.

So yes beating those dark pink a-holes is the most important thing. If you do that you probably have a better shot at the conference title and hosting in the playoffs. It’s a package deal.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:51 am

Bocephus wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:34 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:44 pm
CodyCat wrote:
I like you.
I started at MSU in 2002 as well. My family is full of griz a-holes. My uncle played basketball for them in the 60s and all three of my older siblings went there. I’ll never forget thanksgiving 2002 at my uncles, “have you ever tried to catch a frozen football? Nearly impossible.” My response: Junior Adams didn’t seem to have a problem with it. My brother was attending UM in 2002 and he got us tickets in the student section. I remember him telling me, you better keep your coat zipped so they don’t see your cat gear after the game. Watching all those entitled babies sob in that student section was one of the great joys of my life. Being the same age as Lulay, even having some classes with him, gave me new hope and confidence. Kramer didn’t want to be the little brother and he did a pretty good job getting rid of that mentality in Lulay’s career.

So yes beating those dark pink a-holes is the most important thing. If you do that you probably have a better shot at the conference title and hosting in the playoffs. It’s a package deal.
Lots of people on here started at MSU in 2002! I'll add myself to the list. Similar to many of you, I was a Bobcat from birth. Back in the 90's before games were regularly televised (we didn't have cable anyhow), we'd listen to Dean Alexander call football and basketball games on 1090 KBOZ so often than I can still sing the jingle for A&D Auto Body. And I can still hear Dean announce the score going to commercial breaks with the customary "Heil Heating & Cooling Products Scoreboard". Used to go to the Burger King on 19th and main to get our free Whoppers with ticket stubs when we did go to games (mostly basketball).

I knew about Lulay very early on, as freshman year I roomed with a guy who played high school football and basketball in Oregon. He knew all about Lulay's athletic achievements (2x 2A Oregon state champion and Oregon POY), so it didn't come as a surprise when he took over for TT early in the season. Kramer and those Lulay teams brought the fun back to being a Bobcat football fan.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:40 pm

[/quote]

You guys are killing me! Glad that I'm not the only one. When our daughter was about 9 months old we had her in swim lessons where I was in the pool with her. One day, I had on my Cats swim trunks and the young dude teaching the class said (this was Portland at the time) "Oh wow! MSU! I am a Grizzly!" as if we were related and went to give me a high-five...my response to him was against everything I stand for but...
[/quote]

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:03 pm

I've been a fan since mid streak. I started going to games with my grandpa in the mid 90s. I quickly learned to dislike them thanks to the way their fans acted, even around a young kid like me. Over the years my hatred for them has just grown. I remember when they had the monster comeback in the playoffs in 09 I think, against SDSU, I was so mad I turned the game off and took the TV from my Griz fan roommates :lol:

My ex wife is a Griz fan, which is why she's my ex :lol: She always used to put my 6 year old son in Griz shirts when he comes to my house. He hasn't decided who he really likes yet, but I told him to stop wearing them awhile ago. He showed up again a couple weeks later in a Griz shirt so I "lost" it and he hasn't come back in one since ha. I was going to take him to his 1st game last fall, hoping that would make up his mind. Now I'm planning on taking him to Gold Rush this year and hopefully that will cement the Cats as his team!

Oh in regards to the discussion if I had to choose between Cat/Griz win or the natty, I'd take the natty any day. Not only would we have 4 national championships, but we would have 2 at the FCS level.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:41 pm

For some reason, the video didn't finish processing. Here's a new video:

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I like your mom :lol:

GO CATS GO!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm
CelticCat wrote:
I wonder the contrast on this subject as it relates to when you became a fan. For me, I became a die hard in 2002, my 2nd year of college. I was never a fan during the streak, so since that fateful day in Missoula in 2002 when I was in the Marching Band watching the Cats snap the streak, my taste of the rivalry is evenly split 9-9 (9-8 if you discredit the 2011 game). One of my biggest bugaboos as a Cat fan is fans who are more interested in hating the Griz than rooting for the Cats.
I graduated in '84. My first meaningful C-G was Fall of '79. At one point we were 5-2 in C-G games that were meaningful to me. Then the bottom fell out. Year after year it felt inevitable. So many years a win was not possible. I remember thinking that if we could get seven turnovers we might have a chance. Many years our stadium was more maroon than blue during the game. The breaks ALWAYS went their way. The Ah Yat miracle pass in '95 (I think). The five interceptions we threw in a first half. One game during D McGee's reign, we got called for roughing their punter when our guy missed the punter by at least a foot and the ref fell for the punter's flop.

Their miracles weren't limited to games against us. Against Idaho State the Bengals lined up for a late FG up 4 or 5 points, hiked the ball over their holder's head and the dickh@@ds wound up scoring a 70-yard game-winning TD on the play (WHAT????). One year NAU was at Missoula and NAU's star QB (Cookus?) was thrown out in the 1st quarter for targeting. Has a QB ever been thrown out for targeting in any other NCAA game ever????

Year after year their entitled fans filled our stadium. Year after year they printed their playoff tickets in August (I know this because my Dad bought them every year). Year after year they got every god damn break in every game. They got so full of themselves they actually considered moving up to FBS. Arrogant jerks. During the worst of it, gri@@ gear was EVERYWHERE. 'Cat gear was nowhere. Walk into a bar in Plentywood? Six idiots were wearing maroon hats - even though none of them had ever been west of Jordan.

So yes, as a streak survivor, beating those pri@@'s is all that matters to me. Playoffs? 'Ships? Wonderful. I'll enjoy every minute and hang on every play. But nothing, NOTHING, rejuvenates my soul like beating those pink entitled ******@@ds.

(Side note - I was in a store in downtown Missoula last summer and there was 'Cat gear for sale. I nearly shat myself. If there was any sign that the worm was turning - that was it).
The real question I have is why were you in downtown Stinkville? I can honestly say I've only gotten out of a vehicle there on purpose four times that I can recall. The first was Cat/griz Saturday, 2001. Was in the pep band and we were on our way from Livingston to Hamilton to play for a girls BB game, stopped and got a bite to eat. The second was over a decade later when I picked up my then-girlfriend from her brother's apartment on our second date (she was rooming with him while finishing up her degree from LCSC, he was going to dUMb). Third time was a few months later, picked her up again to take her to her to Lewiston, ID for her graduation. Fourth time was June 2019 so she (now my wife) could run in the Missoula half marathon. That was actually the first time I'd ever been in downtown. Other than that, I avoid it like the plague.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

The real question I have is why were you in downtown Stinkville? I can honestly say I've only gotten out of a vehicle there on purpose four times that I can recall. The first was Cat/griz Saturday, 2001. Was in the pep band and we were on our way from Livingston to Hamilton to play for a girls BB game, stopped and got a bite to eat. The second was over a decade later when I picked up my then-girlfriend from her brother's apartment on our second date (she was rooming with him while finishing up her degree from LCSC, he was going to dUMb). Third time was a few months later, picked her up again to take her to her to Lewiston, ID for her graduation. Fourth time was June 2019 so she (now my wife) could run in the Missoula half marathon. That was actually the first time I'd ever been in downtown. Other than that, I avoid it like the plague.
There’s worse places.

It’s not my favorite, but there’s some good eating and good breweries there.

Griz fans who avoid Bozeman and Cat fans who avoid Missoula are nuts to me. It’s a game. If it effects day to day life that much, that’s not healthy.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:18 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

There’s worse places.

Griz fans who avoid Bozeman and Cat fans who avoid Missoula are nuts to me. It’s a game. If it effects day to day life that much, that’s not healthy.
Meh, really have no reason to go there anyhow - no family or business dealings there - so it doesn't effect my day-to-day life and is fairly easy for me to avoid. As far as a reason goes, I loathe all things maroon and silver (and many of the griztards underneath said clothes), and the highest concentration of maroon and silver clad folks are logically located in Missoula. And then there is the baby poop brown and calf scour yellow. I mean seriously, what were they thinking with that color scheme?! :sick:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:01 am

But then you'll never get a Hoagieville hoagie and cheese fries!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:24 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:18 am
bobcat99 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

There’s worse places.

Meh, really have no reason to go there anyhow - no family or business dealings there - so it doesn't effect my day-to-day life and is fairly easy for me to avoid. As far as a reason goes, I loathe all things maroon and silver (and many of the griztards underneath said clothes), and the highest concentration of maroon and silver clad folks are logically located in Missoula. And then there is the baby poop brown and calf scour yellow. I mean seriously, what were they thinking with that color scheme?! :sick:
I don’t really have any reason to go there either, I just don’t understand avoiding it. No offense meant, but it seems childish to me. There are a lot of good people I know who are Griz fans. There’s a lot of not so great people I know that are Cat fans. At the end of the day, it’s just a game.

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:24 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:18 am
bobcat99 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

There’s worse places.

I don’t really have any reason to go there either, I just don’t understand avoiding it. No offense meant, but it seems childish to me. There are a lot of good people I know who are Griz fans. There’s a lot of not so great people I know that are Cat fans. At the end of the day, it’s just a game.
:bs: Now you are deliberately trying stir up trouble. You probably also think 40 below is just a little chilly. :wink:

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi