Biggest Areas of Improvement

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Biggest Areas of Improvement

Post by KittieKop » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:28 pm

If QB play is what's going to take MSU over the hump, what does it need defensively? Improved QB play isn't going to solve NDSU when your defense is visibly a step (or two or three) slower and noticeably outgunned. We might make the move from #4 to #2 or #3, but we're not significantly closer to solving NDSU now than we were 4-8 yrs ago. So maybe not what's the biggest improvement that needs made, but more what improvement need made to finally solve NDSU? No one is winning a NC until they solve that puzzle.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:31 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:28 pm
If QB play is what's going to take MSU over the hump, what does it need defensively? Improved QB play isn't going to solve NDSU when your defense is visibly a step (or two or three) slower and noticeably outgunned. We might make the move from #4 to #2 or #3, but we're not significantly closer to solving NDSU now than we were 4-8 yrs ago. So maybe not what's the biggest improvement that needs made, but more what improvement need made to finally solve NDSU? No one is winning a NC until they solve that puzzle.
I've thought about this too. IMO the rest of the FCS field probably needs to catch them in a game where they're playing their 3rd string QB, and go +3 in turnovers or something like that, unfortunately. Or, get the playing field leveled and compensate our players as NDSU is able to do. :evil:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:34 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:31 pm
KittieKop wrote:
I've thought about this too. IMO the rest of the FCS field probably needs to catch them in a game where they're playing their 3rd string QB, and go +3 in turnovers or something like that, unfortunately.
The teams that play them the toughest generally have very good D lines that can get off blocks, and very fast 2nd levels. No way a guy like Watson gets shut down without that.

Edit: Meaning we need more speed at LB and Safety in my opinion. Obviously Vims points are also spot on as well.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:39 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:34 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:31 pm
KittieKop wrote:
I've thought about this too. IMO the rest of the FCS field probably needs to catch them in a game where they're playing their 3rd string QB, and go +3 in turnovers or something like that, unfortunately.
The teams that play them the toughest generally have very good D lines that can get off blocks, and very fast 2nd levels. No way a guy like Watson gets shut down without that.

Edit: Meaning we need more speed at LB and Safety in my opinion. Obviously Vims points are also spot on as well.
Difference in speed was VERY noticeable in our last meeting. :(

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:41 pm

It's actually the #1 interview question for a new coach, especially one coming into a job at a program "on the cusp". "Tell us your plan for beating NDSU." It has to be about more than just Cat/griz, more than just conference titles or making the playoffs. Someone has to solve NDSU. There really shouldn't be any other goal.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:24 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:41 pm
It's actually the #1 interview question for a new coach, especially one coming into a job at a program "on the cusp". "Tell us your plan for beating NDSU." It has to be about more than just Cat/griz, more than just conference titles or making the playoffs. Someone has to solve NDSU. There really shouldn't be any other goal.
I think we are now at a point where our focus can be on how do we plan to beat the NDSU or JM teams. Up to now, it was how to beat the griz. Coach Choate got us to that point, now we need someone to get us over the hump. I really believe we will see a very different team when they hit the field in terms of maturity, size, and speed. There may be some good come out of the Covid break. We should have a mature team in size and strength, I think we have been relatively young the last two times we played NDSU. Should be different if we see them again.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:50 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:49 am
allcat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:38 am
allcat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:24 am
How many times do you see a really good offensive team that has a really good defense? We had a really good offense in Ash's last year's, the defense circled the drain. North Dakota State has both, but the defense leads them.
They aren’t exclusive.

Pretty much every single championship team has both. In the NFL the Chiefs are the most recent example of excellent offense and average to slightly above level defense.
Defense keeps you in the game when the offense isn't clicking. Then when you get the offensive play it fires the d up and they play with even more confidence.
I don’t understand why a good offense and a good defense are exclusive things. You can have both.

I can take the reverse of your statement and say the same thing btw. If you wanna win big, you need both sides of the ball to be good. It’s not an either/or.
We had a good defense and won games under Ash. We got a kick ass offense and the defense was awful. When that offense faltered, we sucked.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:53 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:50 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
allcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
allcat wrote:
How many times do you see a really good offensive team that has a really good defense? We had a really good offense in Ash's last year's, the defense circled the drain. North Dakota State has both, but the defense leads them.
They aren’t exclusive.

Pretty much every single championship team has both. In the NFL the Chiefs are the most recent example of excellent offense and average to slightly above level defense.
Defense keeps you in the game when the offense isn't clicking. Then when you get the offensive play it fires the d up and they play with even more confidence.
I don’t understand why a good offense and a good defense are exclusive things. You can have both.

I can take the reverse of your statement and say the same thing btw. If you wanna win big, you need both sides of the ball to be good. It’s not an either/or.
We had a good defense and won games under Ash. We got a kick ass offense and the defense was awful. When that offense faltered, we sucked.
Yes?

The reason our defense sucked was not because of our offense. YOU CAN HAVE BOTH! YOU NEED BOTH!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:00 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:53 pm
allcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
allcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
allcat wrote:
They aren’t exclusive.

Yes?

The reason our defense sucked was not because of our offense. YOU CAN HAVE BOTH! YOU NEED BOTH!
I CAN WRITE IN ALL CAPITALS TOO. You are right, you need an offense, like when you have too much offense so you play a linebacker at qb.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:57 pm

We may never have a DB that could keep up with a guy like Watson. That kid is NFL fast. Without him in the game, it would have been a lot closer, although we probably still would have gotten beat.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:03 pm

KittieKop wrote:
I agree with others on the speed issue, we looked slow compared to them last time we played. Even at NDSU though, they aren't going to consistently get guys with NFL-level speed like that every year. I think we lost against them in the trenches. We didn't have the beef to withstand their O-line. It's tough, because in the Big Sky, you need smaller, quicker DT's to play against all the spread teams we see week in and week out. The only team to really give NDSU much trouble last year was ISU, who probably caught them on an off week but also had the physical size and strength to completely negate their running game, making them one-dimensional. We need to get a couple 300+ lb. DT's to help clog up the line against teams like that.

... and I need to find a million dollars in my bank account too, while we're asking for things! :lol:

GO CATS GO!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:04 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:03 pm
KittieKop wrote:
I agree with others on the speed issue, we looked slow compared to them last time we played. Even at NDSU though, they aren't going to consistently get guys with NFL-level speed like that every year. I think we lost against them in the trenches. We didn't have the beef to withstand their O-line. It's tough, because in the Big Sky, you need smaller, quicker DT's to play against all the spread teams we see week in and week out. The only team to really give NDSU much trouble last year was ISU, who probably caught them on an off week but also had the physical size and strength to completely negate their running game, making them one-dimensional. We need to get a couple 300+ lb. DT's to help clog up the line against teams like that.

... and I need to find a million dollars in my bank account too, while we're asking for things! :lol:
Should've invested in GameStop!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:04 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Should've invested in GameStop!
No kidding. Why not throw in some Bitcoin while we're at it?!

GO CATS GO!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:22 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Tua Areta is weighing in at nearly 400lbs, so give him a few months and maybe the Cats can get one DT up to 600lbs instead of two DTs at 300lbs+.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:24 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:53 pm
allcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
allcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
allcat wrote:
They aren’t exclusive.

Yes?

You can have both. I’d argue that we have had both the last few years.

Our 2019 squad played 15 games. 12 of those games we scored 20+, 8 of those games we scored 30+, 6 we scored 40+ and we broke 50 once.

We have to have balance and the offensive and defensive philosophy has to be aligned. The problem with Ash’s last few seasons were that we had a shaky defense and then our all or nothing offense would either go 3 and out or score quickly and our defense is right back on the field and gassed. It’s exciting to watch but it isn’t a winning formula.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:33 pm

Biggest area of improvement under Choate:
Depth.
Drop mic and walk off stage.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:22 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Tua Areta is weighing in at nearly 400lbs, so give him a few months and maybe the Cats can get one DT up to 600lbs instead of two DTs at 300lbs+.
I think Weber is proving you can win in the Big Sky with more traditional, pound the rock, solid against the run on defense. The Big Sky gets a bit of an unfair rap about being all air it out considering what teams like MSU, PSU, CP, ND and Weber have been the last several years. Hell even SSU and EWU were pretty damn good at running the ball.

Fact of the matter is that we need to get just a little bit better across the board. Its easy to point at QB and say we need to get better but Rovig didn't lose us the NDSU game. He didn't go out there and win it either! Just saying that I hope they don't focus so much on bringing a guy in they think can fix the offensive woes that they fail to continue to improve on defense.

PS I really wish we had a healthy Andersen during the NDSU to see if that extra speed at LB would have closed the gap a little or a lot.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:08 am

Id like to see our kicking game improve. It hasn't been awful. But, id like us to be more consistent on 40 to 50 yard field goals.

Hating the griz since 02.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:48 am

KittieKop wrote:
Getting past NDSU as they're currently comprised is going to have to mean structural changes to the program that allow them to recruit at a higher level of talent.

The Bison are recruiting guys on a different level compared to basically the entirety of the FCS.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:02 am

Don't know that it's the biggest area for improvement (Vim listed it as 3), but I agree with Vim that game management needs improvement. All too often when we are down by a score or 2 toward the end of the game, the offense saunters back to the LofS like they have all the time in the world. Meanwhile, time is ticking away. Don't know if it's not a priority or there's no play anyway or what. Of course, if the O and D were such that we are never behind toward game end and can hold off the opponent, it wouldn't be an issue. As it's been, it drives me nuts (and it's not a long trip).

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.