Matt Lubick

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HawkAndBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Matt Lubick

Post by HawkAndBobcat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 am

After reading this thread I would be fine with a Lubick coming back to work for Montana State. Especially for his father's sake.
It would hopefully mend any differences between MSU and the Lubick family.
And hopefully mend a lot of bobcat hatred from the Butte community as well.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 am

MSU should have never let go of Sonny Lubick, but I guess in the end things worked out well for him. CSU's football field is named after him after all. Sonny made a home visit to me in high school, and was the most impressive, transparent, down-to-earth coach I can remember. Anyone with Butte ties gets extra credit in my book when it comes to football!

Matt would be a fantastic Bobcat coach IMO, the apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree.

Matt Miller would not be a bad choice either -- to me he really proved himself as OC, learned quickly and when allowed to completely run the game-time offense, called many outstanding games. He would be one of the youngest HC's out there I would imagine. I think a Sean McVay kind of guy.

Shaping up to be some good options it seems.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 am
Oh my goodness. He was trying to say Dayday(the poster) and it got turned into “Dadday”.
Funniest thing today. That's funny.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:43 am

Nebraska is a sinking ship. And didn’t Colter say Matt was born in Bozeman? That’s gotta be a little tug. But if he’s following Choate’s path, there’s no better way to get meaningful head coaching experience than right here. A Top-10 program on a silver platter.

dayday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dayday » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:24 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 am
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:29 am
Wow, this is a very interesting option - tons of experience, highly respected, and of course with major MSU connections through Sonny.
dayday wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 am

I only say that Colter because of the Kane news. You are the best journalist in Montana no doubt so don’t want to be too critical. Nothing is perfect. However, You were pretty against Football Scoop report and saying he was a candidate for MSU and nothing finalized then only admitted it was confirmed when Kane announced it. I am just not sure if your sources are within the department/agents or QB club and parents. Those two things are big differences on how reliable information is.
You seem to be criticizing Colter here, but everything you say in this paragraph screams nothing to me other than "responsible journalism". If he's including names in his article, it's safe to assume that there's at least some level of interest there and that Colter has confirmed it - if he were just throwing out hypotheticals with no info to back it up, he'd say so.
Dadday is a griz fan (fact). It is painful for him to see so many really strong coaching candidates pursuing the MSU job. Kinda funny in that context.
Umm okay. You are dense. I think my comment was more made in the context that Football Scoop is very reliable because of how they source their information. They are rarely wrong. They confirmed Kane and Colter was saying no. Just was curious on Colter’s information based on some recent comments he has made on the radio. It’s fair to bring it up.

I could care less who gets hired for you guys. It’s a coaching change. Both this board and egriz have some pretty outrageous fans that make childish comments like rivercat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:07 am

dayday wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:24 am
rivercat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 am
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:29 am
Wow, this is a very interesting option - tons of experience, highly respected, and of course with major MSU connections through Sonny.
dayday wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 am

I only say that Colter because of the Kane news. You are the best journalist in Montana no doubt so don’t want to be too critical. Nothing is perfect. However, You were pretty against Football Scoop report and saying he was a candidate for MSU and nothing finalized then only admitted it was confirmed when Kane announced it. I am just not sure if your sources are within the department/agents or QB club and parents. Those two things are big differences on how reliable information is.
You seem to be criticizing Colter here, but everything you say in this paragraph screams nothing to me other than "responsible journalism". If he's including names in his article, it's safe to assume that there's at least some level of interest there and that Colter has confirmed it - if he were just throwing out hypotheticals with no info to back it up, he'd say so.
Dadday is a griz fan (fact). It is painful for him to see so many really strong coaching candidates pursuing the MSU job. Kinda funny in that context.
Umm okay. You are dense. I think my comment was more made in the context that Football Scoop is very reliable because of how they source their information. They are rarely wrong. They confirmed Kane and Colter was saying no. Just was curious on Colter’s information based on some recent comments he has made on the radio. It’s fair to bring it up.

I could care less who gets hired for you guys. It’s a coaching change. Both this board and egriz have some pretty outrageous fans that make childish comments like rivercat
I'm sorry I offered you with my childish comment. I understand why you leave that dumpster fire called egriz to get actual information on BN. I will try to be a better fan.

We did have a good laugh at my referencing you as Dadday and another thinking is was disparaging Colter's daddy. So thanks for that.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:22 am

HawkAndBobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 am
After reading this thread I would be fine with a Lubick coming back to work for Montana State. Especially for his father's sake.
It would hopefully mend any differences between MSU and the Lubick family.
And hopefully mend a lot of bobcat hatred from the Butte community as well.
Matt's brother Marc played for the Cats in the 90s, so I think bridges are mended.
Side note: Marc is on the Buffalo Bills coaching staff.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:48 am

Matt is definitely qualified to be the next HC as are several others on the list. The choice will come down to who do they think will be the best leader. And that comes out in the interview process and talking with with references.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:17 am

I am very skeptical about Lubick. In another post, it was commented that he may have had some popularity issues at other schools. I have heard similar. I don't want a risk, I want solid and step on the gas to move forward. The quality is there, it will be fun to see the list. I'm all in on Jason McEndoo, he is the perfect fit at the right time.

pckrfndvdarm
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by pckrfndvdarm » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:02 pm

As with any candidate for a position there are people that are all in on one particular person just as people who are opposed to the same individual. I have faith in the search committee and faith in our AD that they will come up with a very quality coach. No matter who it is, he will not have 100% backing from every Bobcat fan.

grizpack
    BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:19 pm

He would be a good hire for the Cats. I wonder if he is watching what is happening at the FBS schools though. FBS Coordinators are getting hired for head coaches left and right. FCS Head Coaches are not. Choate is the prime example of this. He had way more experience, and I hate to say it ,but it is a pretty damn good coach, with a proven head coach track record. Yet BSU picked a Coordinator from Oregon. Just a thought.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:25 pm

grizpack wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:19 pm
    He would be a good hire for the Cats. I wonder if he is watching what is happening at the FBS schools though. FBS Coordinators are getting hired for head coaches left and right. FCS Head Coaches are not. Choate is the prime example of this. He had way more experience, and I hate to say it ,but it is a pretty damn good coach, with a proven head coach track record. Yet BSU picked a Coordinator from Oregon. Just a thought.
    I agree. If that trend is true and continues, I guess that means here in the FCS we'll be seeing either younger coaches who are earlier in their move up in the ranks, or older coaches who just aren't cut out for the big time. This is another reason I'm warming up so much to the idea of moving up to the FBS.

imacat

Post by imacat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:32 pm

grizpack wrote:
    Avalos was a former player and former DC for Boise State. Choate, on the other hand was a former position coach. I am sure that was a big factor in his hire.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:46 pm

imacat wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:32 pm
    grizpack wrote:
    Avalos was a former player and former DC for Boise State. Choate, on the other hand was a former position coach. I am sure that was a big factor in his hire.
    I agree with that, but it sounds like it was part of the feedback Choate got from the process at BSU and from his conversations with other schools, that his best path to FBS HC was via the FBS coordinator route. Maybe he was just saying that to try and justify the move, I don't know.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:12 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:25 pm
    grizpack wrote:
    I agree. If that trend is true and continues, I guess that means here in the FCS we'll be seeing either younger coaches who are earlier in their move up in the ranks, or older coaches who just aren't cut out for the big time. This is another reason I'm warming up so much to the idea of moving up to the FBS.
    If the G5 Conferences can get a playoff established, I think it changes everything and would be worth looking at a move to FBS.

wbtfg
    Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:18 pm

Bocephus wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:12 pm
    kennethnoisewater wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:25 pm
    grizpack wrote:
    If the G5 Conferences can get a playoff established, I think it changes everything and would be worth looking at a move to FBS.
    ☝️ This

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:27 pm

I think Lubick would be huge for us to get. I think if anyone would be likely to retain some/most of the current staff, I think it might him. He has ties to Bozeman, MSU and coaches already on staff. I also think he would recruit the west/west coast well as well as Midwest (Nebraska area). Sounds like we have 3-5 really decent options, but I think Lubick is the one we need.

Punters are people too!!

ilovethecats
    Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:58 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:27 pm
    I think Lubick would be huge for us to get. I think if anyone would be likely to retain some/most of the current staff, I think it might him. He has ties to Bozeman, MSU and coaches already on staff. I also think he would recruit the west/west coast well as well as Midwest (Nebraska area). Sounds like we have 3-5 really decent options, but I think Lubick is the one we need.
    I mentioned this before but I think the staff that we want to retain could do so on their own resumes. It's not like it would be a pitty hire to retain some guys like BJ, Army, Udy and others. I think whoever Leon goes with will understand how important of a role these guys can play. And if that person thinks he can find someone better than what we currently have, that's better for us too I suppose. Though I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head I really want to stay here, and I think if their given a chance they'll stay here.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:15 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:58 pm
    GoCats18 wrote:
    I mentioned this before but I think the staff that we want to retain could do so on their own resumes. It's not like it would be a pitty hire to retain some guys like BJ, Army, Udy and others. I think whoever Leon goes with will understand how important of a role these guys can play. And if that person thinks he can find someone better than what we currently have, that's better for us too I suppose. Though I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head I really want to stay here, and I think if their given a chance they'll stay here.
    I think that's pretty key in all of this. There are players on the committee but if I'm not mistaken there are no assistant coaches. I get that thought process, because you want to leave the door open to the possibility that the new guy might come in with his own guys. I'm assuming everybody wants to stay but I could be wrong. I would imagine they're exploring options amid all the uncertainty.

ilovethecats
    Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:19 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:15 pm
    ilovethecats wrote:
    Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:58 pm
    GoCats18 wrote:
    I think that's pretty key in all of this. There are players on the committee but if I'm not mistaken there are no assistant coaches. I get that thought process, because you want to leave the door open to the possibility that the new guy might come in with his own guys. I'm assuming everybody wants to stay but I could be wrong. I would imagine they're exploring options amid all the uncertainty.
    Totally.

And while I totally get why Leon wants to emphasize retaining much of them, I don't see it as a dealbreaker. He's not going to pass on a top candidate if he loves him but the guy wants to bring in his own staff.

I think some of the guys we really want to stay here will do just that.