Matt Lubick

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Matt Lubick

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:30 pm

Colter just posted that Matt Lubick is a candidate.

Bozeman Native, WMC mafia grad (played with BJ Robertson), OC at Nebraska, OC at Washington, OC at Oregon.

Numerous awards as an assistant.

This is my top pick.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Matt Lubick

Post by ND0479 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:36 pm

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 pm

I like

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:53 pm

If I remember right, he was in the mix when Choate was hired. I would he be the type of coach that embraces the culture we have now, would he advance it?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:57 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:53 pm
If I remember right, he was in the mix when Choate was hired. I would he be the type of coach that embraces the culture we have now, would he advance it?
I believe he was initially in the mix until he was offered the oregon OC job and withdrew. Then proceeded to poach Prukop. Haha

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 pm

Dude makes 500k at Nebraska. I would think he’d be very hard to poach away

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:09 pm

He would do wonders with McKay at QB.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:13 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 pm
He’s interested for a reason.

I mean, the man lives in friggin Nebraska.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:14 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:13 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 pm
He’s interested for a reason.

I mean, the man lives in friggin Nebraska.
That and Nebraska is a sinking ship.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 pm

Trying not to get my hopes up, but reading his bio on Nebraska’s website, good lord.....

Before Nebraska

In Lubick’s lone season as offensive coordinator in 2016, Oregon set school records for passing yards (4,687), completions (326) and first downs passing (198). Oregon ranked 13th nationally in completion percentage and 15th in total offense despite having a true freshman starter at quarterback and four freshmen starters on the offensive line. The Ducks ranked in the top 25 nationally in passing twice in Lubick’s four seasons on staff. From 2013 to 2015, Oregon ranked in the top five nationally in both scoring and total offense every year.

In 2012, Football Scoop named Lubick as its national receivers coach of the year. He was also one of three finalists for the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) National Assistant Coach of the Year award.

Lubick also left his mark as a recruiter in Durham. Duke Head Coach David Cutcliffe called Lubick "simply the best recruiter I've ever worked with," and Lubick was one of only 10 assistant coaches nationally named to ESPNU's recruiting "Dream Team."

ARIZONA STATE:. ASU also ranked in the top 30 nationally in passing defense both seasons. As recruiting coordinator, Lubick oversaw one top-20 recruiting class and two top-30 classes, while personally recruiting Vontaze Burfict, the highest-rated recruit in program history. Rivals named Lubick a top-10 recruiter in the then-Pac-10 Conference in each of his three years at ASU and twice Lubick was named one of the nation’s top 25 recruiters.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:57 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Trying not to get my hopes up, but reading his bio on Nebraska’s website, good lord.....

Before Nebraska

In Lubick’s lone season as offensive coordinator in 2016, Oregon set school records for passing yards (4,687), completions (326) and first downs passing (198). Oregon ranked 13th nationally in completion percentage and 15th in total offense despite having a true freshman starter at quarterback and four freshmen starters on the offensive line. The Ducks ranked in the top 25 nationally in passing twice in Lubick’s four seasons on staff. From 2013 to 2015, Oregon ranked in the top five nationally in both scoring and total offense every year.

In 2012, Football Scoop named Lubick as its national receivers coach of the year. He was also one of three finalists for the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) National Assistant Coach of the Year award.

Lubick also left his mark as a recruiter in Durham. Duke Head Coach David Cutcliffe called Lubick "simply the best recruiter I've ever worked with," and Lubick was one of only 10 assistant coaches nationally named to ESPNU's recruiting "Dream Team."

ARIZONA STATE:. ASU also ranked in the top 30 nationally in passing defense both seasons. As recruiting coordinator, Lubick oversaw one top-20 recruiting class and two top-30 classes, while personally recruiting Vontaze Burfict, the highest-rated recruit in program history. Rivals named Lubick a top-10 recruiter in the then-Pac-10 Conference in each of his three years at ASU and twice Lubick was named one of the nation’s top 25 recruiters.
Lubick worked for Dennis Erickson three times. His father is very close with Dennis, who is on the search committee.

Montana State is objectively a much better job than in 2016. Lubick didn't pursue it as hard then.

Per the salary, Choate took a huge pay cut to come to MSU as well.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:18 am

There's a good connection if he wants to coach FCS.....He's already been to FBS, just not a HC. So his only next move is an FBS HC? Right?.....or maybe he wants to live here permanently. I hope he doesn't think they're gonna pay him half-a-mil....does he?

2024 Resume dominance

dayday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dayday » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:57 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 pm

Before Nebraska

Lubick worked for Dennis Erickson three times. His father is very close with Dennis, who is on the search committee.

Montana State is objectively a much better job than in 2016. Lubick didn't pursue it as hard then.

Per the salary, Choate took a huge pay cut to come to MSU as well.
I see the connection but the money is a thing. I’m curious if you are throwing out names with logical connections or do you have information that he’s interviewing on such and such a date, been offered the job, etc..

I only say that Colter because of the Kane news. You are the best journalist in Montana no doubt so don’t want to be too critical. Nothing is perfect. However, You were pretty against Football Scoop report and saying he was a candidate for MSU and nothing finalized then only admitted it was confirmed when Kane announced it. I am just not sure if your sources are within the department/agents or QB club and parents. Those two things are big differences on how reliable information is.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:29 am

Wow, this is a very interesting option - tons of experience, highly respected, and of course with major MSU connections through Sonny.
dayday wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 am

I only say that Colter because of the Kane news. You are the best journalist in Montana no doubt so don’t want to be too critical. Nothing is perfect. However, You were pretty against Football Scoop report and saying he was a candidate for MSU and nothing finalized then only admitted it was confirmed when Kane announced it. I am just not sure if your sources are within the department/agents or QB club and parents. Those two things are big differences on how reliable information is.
You seem to be criticizing Colter here, but everything you say in this paragraph screams nothing to me other than "responsible journalism". If he's including names in his article, it's safe to assume that there's at least some level of interest there and that Colter has confirmed it - if he were just throwing out hypotheticals with no info to back it up, he'd say so.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:29 am
Wow, this is a very interesting option - tons of experience, highly respected, and of course with major MSU connections through Sonny.
dayday wrote:

You seem to be criticizing Colter here, but everything you say in this paragraph screams nothing to me other than "responsible journalism". If he's including names in his article, it's safe to assume that there's at least some level of interest there and that Colter has confirmed it - if he were just throwing out hypotheticals with no info to back it up, he'd say so.
Dadday is a griz fan (fact). It is painful for him to see so many really strong coaching candidates pursuing the MSU job. Kinda funny in that context.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:46 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 am
MSU01 wrote:
dayday wrote:

Dadday is a griz fan (fact). It is painful for him to see so many really strong coaching candidates pursuing the MSU job. Kinda funny in that context.
Painful for who, Colter's dad or Colter himself? I don't really care about that - Colter has proven time and again to be nothing but professional in his coverage of MSU athletics and does that job substantially better than anyone else in the state right now. That's all that matters to me whatever his personal feelings might or might not be.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:06 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:46 am
rivercat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
dayday wrote:

Painful for who, Colter's dad or Colter himself? I don't really care about that - Colter has proven time and again to be nothing but professional in his coverage of MSU athletics and does that job substantially better than anyone else in the state right now. That's all that matters to me whatever his personal feelings might or might not be.
Wow, maybe read my post again. Painful for dayday, the griz fan. SMH

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:06 am
MSU01 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
dayday wrote:

Oh, I see. You thought I was referencing Colter's dad. Lol. Nope, I'm a Colter fan and subscriber. Listen to his new "Nuanez Now" radio show on ESPN Missoula which everyone should check out.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 am

Oh my goodness. He was trying to say Dayday(the poster) and it got turned into “Dadday”.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 am
rivercat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:06 am
MSU01 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
dayday wrote:

Oh, I see. You thought I was referencing Colter's dad. Lol. Nope, I'm a Colter fan and subscriber. Listen to his new "Nuanez Now" radio show on ESPN Missoula which everyone should check out.
Ha, sorry about that - totally misread what you were trying to say there!