Matt Lubick

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt Lubick

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:19 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:15 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:58 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:27 pm
I think Lubick would be huge for us to get. I think if anyone would be likely to retain some/most of the current staff, I think it might him. He has ties to Bozeman, MSU and coaches already on staff. I also think he would recruit the west/west coast well as well as Midwest (Nebraska area). Sounds like we have 3-5 really decent options, but I think Lubick is the one we need.
I mentioned this before but I think the staff that we want to retain could do so on their own resumes. It's not like it would be a pitty hire to retain some guys like BJ, Army, Udy and others. I think whoever Leon goes with will understand how important of a role these guys can play. And if that person thinks he can find someone better than what we currently have, that's better for us too I suppose. Though I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head I really want to stay here, and I think if their given a chance they'll stay here.
I think that's pretty key in all of this. There are players on the committee but if I'm not mistaken there are no assistant coaches. I get that thought process, because you want to leave the door open to the possibility that the new guy might come in with his own guys. I'm assuming everybody wants to stay but I could be wrong. I would imagine they're exploring options amid all the uncertainty.
Totally.

And while I totally get why Leon wants to emphasize retaining much of them, I don't see it as a dealbreaker. He's not going to pass on a top candidate if he loves him but the guy wants to bring in his own staff.

I think some of the guys we really want to stay here will do just that.
I think regardless of the HC, these coaches stay:

- Armstrong (OL)
- BJ (special teams/high school relations)
- Jimmy Beal (RB/recruiting coordinator)
- Bobby Daly (LB/possible DC)
- Byron Hout (DL)

I think Udy (QB/OC), Potter (TE), Frazier (WR/Pass-game coordinator), and Risinger (safeties/corners) are up in the air.

This is just a guess, no inside info.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
I think Lubick would be huge for us to get. I think if anyone would be likely to retain some/most of the current staff, I think it might him. He has ties to Bozeman, MSU and coaches already on staff. I also think he would recruit the west/west coast well as well as Midwest (Nebraska area). Sounds like we have 3-5 really decent options, but I think Lubick is the one we need.
I mentioned this before but I think the staff that we want to retain could do so on their own resumes. It's not like it would be a pitty hire to retain some guys like BJ, Army, Udy and others. I think whoever Leon goes with will understand how important of a role these guys can play. And if that person thinks he can find someone better than what we currently have, that's better for us too I suppose. Though I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head I really want to stay here, and I think if their given a chance they'll stay here.
I think that's pretty key in all of this. There are players on the committee but if I'm not mistaken there are no assistant coaches. I get that thought process, because you want to leave the door open to the possibility that the new guy might come in with his own guys. I'm assuming everybody wants to stay but I could be wrong. I would imagine they're exploring options amid all the uncertainty.
Totally.

And while I totally get why Leon wants to emphasize retaining much of them, I don't see it as a dealbreaker. He's not going to pass on a top candidate if he loves him but the guy wants to bring in his own staff.

- Armstrong (OL)
- Byron Hout (DL)

I think Udy (QB/OC), Potter (TE), Frazier (WR/Pass-game coordinator), and Risinger (safeties/corners) are up in the air.

I think BJ has carved a really nice niche for himself as basically being the mayor of Montana and being the POC for all the HS coaches around the state. I'd imagine he has solidified himself as a guy to keep on staff. Beyond that it's tough to say. I'd obviously love to see them all stick around, but that's not necessarily realistic in the coaching world.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:49 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Totally.

- Armstrong (OL)
- Byron Hout (DL)

I think BJ has carved a really nice niche for himself as basically being the mayor of Montana and being the POC for all the HS coaches around the state. I'd imagine he has solidified himself as a guy to keep on staff. Beyond that it's tough to say. I'd obviously love to see them all stick around, but that's not necessarily realistic in the coaching world.
If the new coach doesn't keep BJ on in some capacity we'll really have to question what his recruiting plan is. BJ seems like to most irreplaceable member of the current staff.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:01 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Since no assistant coaches are on the committee, I assume they will still have an opportunity to meet and talk to the candidates once they come for on-campus interviews (who knows - maybe they'll zoom?). If I were on the committee, I would be interested to hear their feedback, though I wouldn't promise it would change my opinions. Previous interviews of the finalists included a lot of meetings and presentations to various groups,

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:50 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Totally.

- Armstrong (OL)
- Byron Hout (DL)

I concur.

I’ve heard nothing but great things about Udy. Football wise beyond his years. Selfishly I just wanna see what he’s got!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:59 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:49 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Totally.

- Armstrong (OL)
- Byron Hout (DL)

If the new coach doesn't keep BJ on in some capacity we'll really have to question what his recruiting plan is. BJ seems like to most irreplaceable member of the current staff.
I wonder if BJ has expressed any desire to be the HC?

Hating the griz since 02.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:14 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:13 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 pm
Dude makes 500k at Nebraska. I would think he’d be very hard to poach away
He’s interested for a reason.

I mean, the man lives in friggin Nebraska.
True and that was funny. But 500k is 500k. And it goes even further there than here.

D-Wreck

Post by D-Wreck » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:24 pm

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 7c621.html

Per the Lee Enterprises machine, he's out.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:25 pm

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:35 pm

This is how they let people save face when they don't get the job. They didn't lose out to someone else. They decided to stay where they are.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:53 pm

lutecat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:35 pm
This is how they let people save face when they don't get the job. They didn't lose out to someone else. They decided to stay where they are.
I don’t know, I think you’re right about that sometimes but word on the street with this particular one is he was definitely offered the job.

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 pm

One of my best friends from HS has a 32 year old(?) son who is the HC for the GB Packers and his brother is the pass game coordinator for the Niners. Those are the young guys we want but of course that ship has sailed. Point being that age should not be a qualifier for a coaching job.

AKCat1

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 pm

tagleason wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 pm
One of my best friends from HS has a 32 year old(?) son who is the HC for the GB Packers and his brother is the pass game coordinator for the Niners. Those are the young guys we want but of course that ship has sailed. Point being that age should not be a qualifier for a coaching job.
Sean McVay was 30 when he got the job with the Rams. Billy Napier was 28 when he got the job as OC at Clemson. Granted, both of those kids were coaches kids but this bit about age or whether they are "ready" is a crock. Dennis wasn't very old when he got Idaho's job, 32 I think?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:14 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 pm
tagleason wrote:
Sean McVay was 30 when he got the job with the Rams. Billy Napier was 28 when he got the job as OC at Clemson. Granted, both of those kids were coaches kids but this bit about age or whether they are "ready" is a crock. Dennis wasn't very old when he got Idaho's job, 32 I think? Plus he's an old fart now and he was when he went to Utah. Age ought not be an issue. I'm more concerned about the age of the committee members than who will be the next coach.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 am

This 'committee' seems to be throwing roadblocks in its own way, requiring the incoming coach to keep anyone(if true). They could have just promoted from within and moved on. National search is a joke. If any candidate knew this requirement up front, would they have actually be interested? Doing anything by committee is a guarantee of failure, so this 'trust the committee' is stupidity. But, it's o.k. with me, YOU ARE THE SCATS, so keep on phucking up. More power to ya. Now it's Up With Montana, Down With the Foe... :-^ \:D/

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:42 am

3-7-77 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 am
This 'committee' seems to be throwing roadblocks in its own way, requiring the incoming coach to keep anyone(if true). They could have just promoted from within and moved on. National search is a joke. If any candidate knew this requirement up front, would they have actually be interested? Doing anything by committee is a guarantee of failure, so this 'trust the committee' is stupidity. But, it's o.k. with me, YOU ARE THE SCATS, so keep on phucking up. More power to ya. Now it's Up With Montana, Down With the Foe... :-^ \:D/
The last guy was hired by committee. How many times did the griz beat him?

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:14 am

tagleason wrote:
I assume you're talking about the LaFleur brothers. I'm a big Niner fan and I can tell you that when the 49ers DC was hired away as HC of the Jets a couple weeks ago, he took Mike with him to be the OC. He got a promotion. Just to update you a little.

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:00 am

Thanks for the update. I haven't talked to his dad for a while so did not know that. GB tried to get Mike as well but sf wouldn't let GB talk to him. I don't know how long you've been a niners fan but you might remember Mariucci. Our families are really good friends for the past several decades. He QB'd NMU to the DII title in 75. Except for an absolutely atrocious call on the last defensive play of the game that handed the game to Akron by putting them in very short fg range they would have played MSU. Uh oh. My oldest brother played FS there. Steve went to to GB to coach qb's where a young guy named Favre showed up. The only thing that kept Mariucci from a career in the NFL was his Flutie syndrome. Small world on some of this stuff blue and gold.

AKCat1

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:08 am

The ONLY good thing about GB having two of the best QB’s ever is how little they’ve done with them. May they all rot.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:31 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:53 pm
lutecat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:35 pm
I don’t know, I think you’re right about that sometimes but word on the street with this particular one is he was definitely offered the job.
This probably played into Matt's mind, but will Frost be the head coach after next season? So far three seasons in a row he has had a losing record. You have to go back to 1961 for that many losing seasons in a row at Nebraska. Not sure the administration, boosters and fans will tolerate four in a row...