HEAD COACHING OPTIONS?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

HEAD COACHING OPTIONS?

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Okay there has to be some guys with some ideas out there? I mean what about anybody that is on the current staff?

stevo

Re: HEAD COACHING OPTIONS?

Post by stevo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:44 pm

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 20&t=49396
there is a 12 page thread on this already.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:25 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:33 pm
Okay there has to be some guys with some ideas out there? I mean what about anybody that is on the current staff?
Okay, I'll bite...

BJ has head coaching experience. Albeit in the NAIA, but that is actually a lot more similar to FCS structure than we'd like to admit. He has run a program and has been in charge of developing a culture and finding players that fit into it. Let's give him some scholarship recruiting power and see what he can do!

Kane is an MSU legend that everyone wants to be Head Coach... it's just that half of the fanbase perpetually thinks that he is always going to need 3-4 more years of top level "assistant" experience before he is ready. I think he is ready right now.

Hey! Matt Miller might be ready to return to the sidelines of Bozeman as MSU's head coach! Maybe.... But we'd have to be ready for a 2-3 season run before he went on to better things. Oh, and he is a lot younger than Kane... so there is that whole experience thing.

Other options: some dudes we've not ever heard of, but have great resumes which make them more attractive because being an OC at Western Michigan (insert other middling FBS school name) = awesome!

What about Kellen Moore!?!?! I know he has always wanted to be a head coach! 8)

Do I dare even mention the word............. GREGORAK!!!

Alright, I'm done with my morning fun time. :D Back to fretting about the future.
Last edited by GavinDonos on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:27 am

Colter has a good article. Lots of familiar names. I’m sure there will be more names to come.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:21 am

The wheels are in motion. Check out colters article on skyline. It’s worth the subscription when he gets scoops no one else does.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:41 am

GavinDonos wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:25 am
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:33 pm
Okay, I'll bite...

BJ has head coaching experience. Albeit in the NAIA, but that is actually a lot more similar to FCS structure than we'd like to admit. He has run a program and has been in charge of developing a culture and finding players that fit into it. Let's give him some scholarship recruiting power and see what he can do!

Kane is an MSU legend that everyone wants to be Head Coach... it's just that half of the fanbase perpetually thinks that he is always going to need 3-4 more years of top level "assistant" experience before he is ready. I think he is ready right now.

Hey! Matt Miller might be ready to return to the sidelines of Bozeman as MSU's head coach! Maybe.... But we'd have to be ready for a 2-3 season run before he went on to better things. Oh, and he is a lot younger than Kane... so there is that whole experience thing.

Other options: some dudes we've not ever heard of, but have great resumes which make them more attractive because being an OC at Western Michigan (insert other middling FBS school name) = awesome!

What about Kellen Moore!?!?! I know he has always wanted to be a head coach! 8)

Do I dare even mention the word............. GREGORAK!!!

Alright, I'm done with my morning fun time. :D Back to fretting about the future.
I highly doubt Miller will leave Boise. His wife is from Boise and that's his alma mater. He is making good money too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:14 pm

We better be throwing fist fulls of money at Kane. The only way i see us continuing the momentum we gained under Choate is to put Kane in the drivers seat. If its anyone one else, i think we're in for another complete rebuild.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:20 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:14 pm
We better be throwing fist fulls of money at Kane. The only way i see us continuing the momentum we gained under Choate is to put Kane in the drivers seat. If its anyone one else, i think we're in for another complete rebuild.
I don't think MSU has the ability to drastically change a coach's salary. That's a BOR thing, and I can't imagine them convening in the next week or two and agreeing to a major pay increase. I believe there are some coaches on the list that would mean complete rebuilds, and I'm confident those will be identified and eliminated as candidates. If they can find somebody who can be consistent with Choate's vision for the team, I think they can keep things going. That identity, I think, is perfect for a land-grant, Ag/Engineering university in a blue-collar state like Montana. Regardless of the current trajectory, this is the DNA MSU should always be embracing.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:26 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
That is debatable. Yes, I would prefer someone like Ioane to take over and avoid rebuilding.... but there are other coaches out there that have similar coaching philosophies to Choate. Strong run game, defense, toughness, Team First mentality, etc.

Now, if someone like Tim Cramsey gets the job... Just a random example, ha. Then yeah, the entire team might as well enter the transfer portal and start from scratch.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:26 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
That is debatable. Yes, I would prefer someone like Ioane to take over and avoid rebuilding.... but there are other coaches out there that have similar coaching philosophies to Choate. Strong run game, defense, toughness, Team First mentality, etc.

Now, if someone like Tim Cramsey gets the job... Just a random example, ha. Then yeah, the entire team might as well enter the transfer portal and start from scratch.
Could you imagine a guy like Charles Brown in a Cramsey offense? WOW!

All gas, no brakes!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:00 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:26 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I have no desire whatsoever to have Cramsey back. He's been on too many staffs that have been fired en masse (at least 3 I can thing of). Maybe its his fault, maybe not.

But I think people forget that Cramsey's O was better running than passing. And the run game set up a lot of wide open passes. Other than the lack of speed at the QB position, I could actually see a Cramsey style O fitting in really well with the current culture & athleticism. And especially with the new look D of the last 4 years.

I wouldn't touch Cramsey with a 10 ft pole because of how the off the field stuff went down, but I would 100% plug in a Cramsey style Offensive Co-ordinator with the athletes & the culture that are in place now.

BengalLenny
New Recruit

Post by BengalLenny » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:23 pm

Everybody on this thread is sure to laugh at me posting here being an alum of Idaho State, however, the Bengals missed out on a gem when they passed up on Roger Cooper to make Rob Phenicie their next head coach after Mike Kramer. I can tell you that working with Coach Cooper everyday (as somebody that played for several dysfunctional staffs at ISU prior to his arrival) was something of a wake up call as to what the coaching experience was supposed to look like.

Coach Cooper's ability to mesh different groups together was unlike any of the coaches that I had seen before him. The guy can sit and have the Offensive Line room rolling and respecting him the same way he does with Qb's, Db's or his Lb's. I have never seen someone have such a way with the players in a genuine way. There is a commanding presence to him but he is a players coach and seeing that and with the talent that was sometimes given to him ISU has been able to at least become competitive.

He was an excellent player for you guys and I know that he is close with Kane and would love to be considered for that job. It would be a tremendous hire for all of you that were calling for a former player to be in charge...you need look no further. You have what most of you will say is an unproven commodity, or he came from the wrong tree, or whatever excuse you network analyst types have or are cooking up...but I am just saying the potential is there and I believe that he has the charisma, the dedication, the desire, the knowledge; both of football and montana, to be a guy that could successfully come in and not skip a beat after Jeff Choate.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Yeah NOPE on Cramsey for me too. Didn’t like the whole deal about him and Prukop after Ash left.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:04 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:35 pm
Yeah NOPE on Cramsey for me too. Didn’t like the whole deal about him and Prukop after Ash left.
100% Agree

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:27 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:04 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
100% Agree
Yep, me too. I think Cramsey was a big part of the culture problem at the end of Ash’s tenure.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:36 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:27 pm
The Butcher wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
100% Agree
Yep, me too. I think Cramsey was a big part of the culture problem at the end of Ash’s tenure.
Starts at the top, and ****** rolls down.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Go poach Paul Wulff from CP.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:17 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:36 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:27 pm
The Butcher wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
100% Agree
Starts at the top, and ****** rolls down.
If you're putting up beaucoup yards and points, it would be easy to become frustrated at the other side of the line of scrimmage for getting a stop only when the other team's offense failed to make a play. Ash and Marshall didn't exactly meet Cramsey halfway.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:36 pm

seataccat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Go poach Paul Wulff from CP.
Could’ve had him last go around if we wanted.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 pm

BengalLenny wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:23 pm
Everybody on this thread is sure to laugh at me posting here being an alum of Idaho State, however, the Bengals missed out on a gem when they passed up on Roger Cooper to make Rob Phenicie their next head coach after Mike Kramer. I can tell you that working with Coach Cooper everyday (as somebody that played for several dysfunctional staffs at ISU prior to his arrival) was something of a wake up call as to what the coaching experience was supposed to look like.

Coach Cooper's ability to mesh different groups together was unlike any of the coaches that I had seen before him. The guy can sit and have the Offensive Line room rolling and respecting him the same way he does with Qb's, Db's or his Lb's. I have never seen someone have such a way with the players in a genuine way. There is a commanding presence to him but he is a players coach and seeing that and with the talent that was sometimes given to him ISU has been able to at least become competitive.

He was an excellent player for you guys and I know that he is close with Kane and would love to be considered for that job. It would be a tremendous hire for all of you that were calling for a former player to be in charge...you need look no further. You have what most of you will say is an unproven commodity, or he came from the wrong tree, or whatever excuse you network analyst types have or are cooking up...but I am just saying the potential is there and I believe that he has the charisma, the dedication, the desire, the knowledge; both of football and montana, to be a guy that could successfully come in and not skip a beat after Jeff Choate.
Thanks for the input. Awesome to hear that. It's cool to hear that about Roger.

As an aside, I once let Roger into my Fraternity's party with a few extra guests than weren't on the guest list. It was a HUGE party. Shall I say, legen...and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the last part is....dary!