Hire Kane!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

utucats
Member # Retired

Hire Kane!

Post by utucats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:22 pm

We are on the upward trajectory. Our goal should be to maintain it. What path keeps our players from transferring and our coaching staff intact?

If we want our next coach to stay longer than 4 seasons who would we have a better chance of having enough brand loyalty to let some opportunities pass them by?

At this level we are going to take a chance on anyone we hire. I say we take a chance on our own in house talent and maintain the culture and winning philosophy that just really started bearing fruit.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Hire Kane!

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:23 pm

One would guess that's the plan, but Ioane might have options. So it might not be that simple.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:25 pm

I loved Choate, but I don’t want anymore FBS dropdown coaches for a while, so I’d be happy with Kane or another good FCS coach.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:26 pm

SECOND THAT MOTION

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:30 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:23 pm
One would guess that's the plan, but Ioane might have options. So it might not be that simple.
Considering Ioane’s ties to Bozeman, I think it’d be hard to get him out of here if he was given the HC job. We can see if that is true or not by offering him the job.

I think the timing of both pieces of news might mean that they are trying to force Costello’s hand into making a decision or losing him. If that is true then I think Choate believes Kane should replace him and that is enough for me.

Lots of assumptions and I admittedly could be wrong on all of them.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:38 pm

This is a total no brainier. Not only does he deserve it the most, he is the best qualified. He has recruiting ties to Washington and now Texas, total credibility with all players at every level. I sure hope he doesn't go to BSU. It would probably be a bigger loss to the program in the long run than Choate.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 pm

Our fan base is funny. Half here saying “we don’t want a coach who doesn’t want to be here” so see you later Jeff. Then the other half hoping we hire Kane (who has no head coaching experience) who was halfway out the door to BSU. I don’t know what the answer is but I’m assuming BSU is not going to wait for Kane.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:44 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm
I think it is a smart move to put players like TA on the committee. Create some buy-in on the decision. Maybe a quick turnaround and offer for KI?

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 pm
Our fan base is funny. Half here saying “we don’t want a coach who doesn’t want to be here” so see you later Jeff. Then the other half hoping we hire Kane (who has no head coaching experience) who was halfway out the door to BSU. I don’t know what the answer is but I’m assuming BSU is not going to wait for Kane.
Sounds like... a fan base.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:47 pm

utucats wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:44 pm
AFCAT wrote:
I think it is a smart move to put players like TA on the committee. Create some buy-in on the decision. Maybe a quick turnaround and offer for KI?
Exactly. That's how they have done coaching searches at MSU for years now.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:49 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
I want them both to be here and don’t care at all about them looking outside. Congrats to Choate but I think we can still hold onto Kane and we can offer him something BSU won’t and that is greater opportunity. Couple that with his feelings for MSU and that may be enough to overcome the financial benefit.

If we get Ioane as the HC and he has success, we may truly find ourselves in a situation where the only way to get him out of here is offer him a lucrative FBS HC job.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:55 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:47 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:44 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Exactly. That's how they have done coaching searches at MSU for years now.
I like the approach but hoping it isn’t to slow to make what may need to be a quick decision to keep Ioane? I can’t imagine that our current players would want to let him go if we had a chance to keep him.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:58 pm

utucats wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:49 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
I want them both to be here and don’t care at all about them looking outside. Congrats to Choate but I think we can still hold onto Kane and we can offer him something BSU won’t and that is greater opportunity. Couple that with his feelings for MSU and that may be enough to overcome the financial benefit.

If we get Ioane as the HC and he has success, we may truly find ourselves in a situation where the only way to get him out of here is offer him a lucrative FBS HC job.
I agree. Get Kane before the selection panel right away. He should get preference. I feel he is the best person to carry on the culture and continuity in the program. We were accelerating in the right direction. Let's keep it going!

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:04 pm

Kane is in a tough spot. He has an attractive opportunity in hand. If he turns it down there is no guarantee he will be selected as MSU’s next HC. Or for that matter, that he will be retained by the new guy.

The only way I see him staying is if Avalos tells him he understands what is like to be in the running to coach at his alma matter and he will hold the door open for him until things play out.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Putting current players on a coach search committee is a disaster waiting to happen, it will only lead to problems between players and its short sighted since they will be gone in a few years. In addition, putting other athletic coaches from different sports on the committee makes zero sense. Love Tricia, but you ain’t getting a coach here based solely on culture within MSU, you need more than that.

I get why they are doing it though, because in today’s social media times if you don’t have current players involved or a “diverse” search committee you are a being “bias” and “socially unjust”.

I hope they hire Kane, he is more than deserving.

If your left, you aren’t right.

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Putting current players on a coach search committee is a disaster waiting to happen, it will only lead to problems between players and its short sighted since they will be gone in a few years. In addition, putting other athletic coaches from different sports on the committee makes zero sense. Love Tricia, but you ain’t getting a coach here based solely on culture within MSU, you need more than that.

I get why they are doing it though, because in today’s social media times if you don’t have current players involved or a “diverse” search committee you are a being “bias” and “socially unjust”.

I do not agree. Leon put current players on Sprinkle’s search committee and that went well.

I more than welcome Coach Binford. If anyone has insight on what is required to build a successful program at MSU it is her.

I also like Erickson and VanCleeve.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm

There have been players on coach search committees for more than a decade. There was a player on the committee that chose Choate.

autocat

Post by autocat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:40 pm

YES it’s his time, been in the program for 17 years and won’t be gone in 2 or 3 years

Reality is good coaches have always been in high demand, if Danny Sprinkle keeps winning basketball games (again today) we will need a new basketball coach and he’s only in his second year. The next generation of young coaches seem to be high demand and are getting their opportunities in coaching

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:47 pm

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay