Hire Kane!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Hire Kane!

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:44 pm

Honest question. If Kane was an applicant we weren’t familiar with would his resume excite you? Would you be happy with that hire based off his resume?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:47 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:44 pm
Honest question. If Kane was an applicant we weren’t familiar with would his resume excite you? Would you be happy with that hire based off his resume?
I’d totally hire a DC from Boise St. ;)

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:55 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:47 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
I’d totally hire a DC from Boise St. ;)
Haha! Touché!

CatFan92
New Recruit

Post by CatFan92 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:00 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:05 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:37 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Putting current players on a coach search committee is a disaster waiting to happen, it will only lead to problems between players and its short sighted since they will be gone in a few years. In addition, putting other athletic coaches from different sports on the committee makes zero sense. Love Tricia, but you ain’t getting a coach here based solely on culture within MSU, you need more than that.

I get why they are doing it though, because in today’s social media times if you don’t have current players involved or a “diverse” search committee you are a being “bias” and “socially unjust”.

I hope they hire Kane, he is more than deserving.
There have been players on coach search committees for more than a decade. There was a player on the committee that chose Choate.
And nearly every school does it. Nothing odd about it at all.
Every school including MSU. This was the process that was used when Choate was hired. Current football players at the time were on the committee after Ash was fired. Seems that committee was effective.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:24 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Maybe not. But we are very familiar with him and the type of guy, coach, and recruiter he is. You don't get anywhere near that type of familiarity with a national search.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:47 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:24 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Maybe not. But we are very familiar with him and the type of guy, coach, and recruiter he is. You don't get anywhere near that type of familiarity with a national search.
They did with Choate, they did with Ash. Ultimately one hugely over looked part of all of this is convincing other quality coaches to join your staff. Choate was excellent in that regard. Ash—mixed results.
And I’m not arguing with you. I agree with what you are saying. I’m torn on Kane. Love the guy, but does he have the experience needed to run his own program. I honestly feel he should’ve gone away from MSU more than he has over the past 15 years. I think it would’ve benefited him greatly. His best path is probably what he’s doing by going to BSU.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:59 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
They did with Choate, they did with Ash. Ultimately one hugely over looked part of all of this is convincing other quality coaches to join your staff. Choate was excellent in that regard. Ash—mixed results.
And I’m not arguing with you. I agree with what you are saying. I’m torn on Kane. Love the guy, but does he have the experience needed to run his own program. I honestly feel he should’ve gone away from MSU more than he has over the past 15 years. I think it would’ve benefited him greatly. His best path is probably what he’s doing by going to BSU.
I'd actually argue Ash's best strength was getting assistant coaches. He had a lot of guys move on to bigger programs.

Now letting someone go, he struggled with.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:06 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:59 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
I'd actually argue Ash's best strength was getting assistant coaches. He had a lot of guys move on to bigger programs.

Now letting someone go, he struggled with.
I guess that’s what I meant by mixed results...he had some great ones. He also had some blatantly bad ones.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:12 am

I think if Kane doesn’t make the list or isn’t considered some questions need to be answered. I think we need a certain amount of continuity with this hire. We are not rebuilding. Bringing in an entire new coach brings in a culture and philosophy shift.

People have been throwing Baldwin’s name around and I hate that idea. We tried outscoring teams and it didn’t work. Choate’s style of playing great D and pounding the ball has taken us to today and we need to stay on the same path.

The only other name I have heard that has me at all excited is McEndoo.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 am

utucats wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:12 am
I think if Kane doesn’t make the list or isn’t considered some questions need to be answered. I think we need a certain amount of continuity with this hire. We are not rebuilding. Bringing in an entire new coach brings in a culture and philosophy shift.

People have been throwing Baldwin’s name around and I hate that idea. We tried outscoring teams and it didn’t work. Choate’s style of playing great D and pounding the ball has taken us to today and we need to stay on the same path.

Yeah. Who would want a coach who has won a national championship at this level?

Believe it or not, it is possible to play an uptempo spread offense AND play good defense.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:04 am

If we want to retain our current stable of players, then we need to look inside the ranks for the man who can rally them all together and mollify their concerns that the culture they signed up for is going to carry on. NDSU has been doing this since Bohl left for Wyoming and it has worked pretty damn well into its fourth coaching generation.

We have those coaches in our midst right now.

If we want to clutch pearls and hop on the #FOMO bandwagon, hoping to find some young hot-shot or wise old sage from parts unknown who's just sitting at a bus stop waiting for the ride to Bozeman to pass by, then we can drag this on for the next 6-8 weeks... then wait for three seasons as we re-build and re-brand.

Personally, I'm tired of rebuilding for 3 years after we hire a new coach. Let's try a different approach this time.

Hire inside. The culture is in place. The team has been built.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:26 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 am
utucats wrote:

Believe it or not, it is possible to play an uptempo spread offense AND play good defense.
Baldwin won 1 and not taking anything away from that but the NDSU model seems like the proper way to achieve long term success. I believe Choate had us on that path and personally would like to see us maintain that philosophy.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:54 pm

GavinDonos wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:04 am
If we want to retain our current stable of players, then we need to look inside the ranks for the man who can rally them all together and mollify their concerns that the culture they signed up for is going to carry on. NDSU has been doing this since Bohl left for Wyoming and it has worked pretty damn well into its fourth coaching generation.

We have those coaches in our midst right now.

If we want to clutch pearls and hop on the #FOMO bandwagon, hoping to find some young hot-shot or wise old sage from parts unknown who's just sitting at a bus stop waiting for the ride to Bozeman to pass by, then we can drag this on for the next 6-8 weeks... then wait for three seasons as we re-build and re-brand.

Personally, I'm tired of rebuilding for 3 years after we hire a new coach. Let's try a different approach this time.

Hire inside. The culture is in place. The team has been built.
=D^ =D^ =D^

This, all day. IF we decide to go outside, the only name that intrigues me is Roehl from NDSU. He’s kind of both a young, energetic guy but could hopefully maintain a similar culture because he’s been living it for the last decade. This team is constructed to win now, and I like the culture and the identity that we’ve created. Let other teams throw 50 times, I want to pound the rock, throw to keep them off balance, and play kick ass defense. If we can maintain culture and identity through this hire, we still have a team that is ready to win big this fall.

GO CATS GO!!!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:31 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 am
utucats wrote:

I think maybe that's why Aaron Avalos got the big promotion.