Transfers?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Transfers?

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:48 am

Troy or Isaiah? Would be right move for both possibly if they want next level options. Just throwing it out there. Also whats MSU do with the 250k that Choate has to pay them for leaving in his contract. Maybe we start using that money to pay our players like NDSU? All hypothetical!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transfers?

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:52 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:48 am
Troy or Isaiah? Would be right move for both possibly if they want next level options. Just throwing it out there. Also whats MSU do with the 250k that Choate has to pay them for leaving in his contract. Maybe we start using that money to pay our players like NDSU? All hypothetical!
Hard to say on transfers. As for the money, I imagine that will backfill some of the hole left by the millions lost due to Covid.

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:56 am

I think hiring from within will keep players transferring out at a minimum. Keep Kane as head coach and promote from within. There’s a great staff already on board. I personally think Troy stays. He has nothing to prove. He’ll be playing on Sunday’s regardless. Just trying to think positive and this train Choate got rolling only picks up steam.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:04 pm

LoggerCat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:56 am
I think hiring from within will keep players transferring out at a minimum. Keep Kane as head coach and promote from within. There’s a great staff already on board. I personally think Troy stays. He has nothing to prove. He’ll be playing on Sunday’s regardless. Just trying to think positive and this train Choate got rolling only picks up steam.
Hiring Kane makes a ton of sense. I would guess that the question is much less about whether MSU wants to do this, and much more about whether Kane will follow Choate's lead and decide that a co-coordinator job at a major FBS program is a better move in terms of his career progression than taking a FCS head coaching job.

As for player transfers, I think there's going to be a ton of movement all over the college football landscape as the repercussions of the pandemic sort themselves out and we get back to (hopefully) more of a normal season this Fall. I don't care to speculate on individual names, but MSU certainly has some clear FBS-level talent on its roster.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:34 pm

I don’t believe there will be a lot of transfers from MSU. Where are they going to go? Apparently, the transfer portal is overflowing with players right now and there aren’t a whole lot of roster positions available since 2020/21 was a zero year. Of course, young kids don’t always make smart decisions.

Personally, I’d go with a nationwide search for a coach or go with Kane. I’d like to see an up and comer FCS assistant become head coach.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:41 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:34 pm
I don’t believe there will be a lot of transfers from MSU. Where are they going to go? Apparently, the transfer portal is overflowing with players right now and there aren’t a whole lot of roster positions available since 2020/21 was a zero year. Of course, young kids don’t always make smart decisions.

Personally, I’d go with a nationwide search for a coach or go with Kane. I’d like to see an up and comer FCS assistant become head coach.
Yeah, I don’t think the transfer portal will be kind to any FCS players. Kids are getting bad advice, if any at all, when entering the portal without having any kind of talks with other schools to gauge their interest. Best to stay where you know you have a home.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:26 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:48 am
Troy is a MT ranch kid majoring in Ag, who's going to school just a couple hours from the home place. Those of you not involved in agriculture likely don't understand how big of a deal that is to a ranch kid, his unselfish personality is such that he likely goes home to help out his folks whenever he can. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:15 pm

The guys I think would be most likely to transfer are the guys who already transfered in. They transfered to play for Choate, not MSU.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:16 am

This could have already been posted and/or he had intentions of leaving well before Choate’s departure but JT Reed’s Twitter bio now reads “JUCO product @ CSM”

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:20 am

Ouch. Huge recruit

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 am

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:53 am

That hurts.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:56 am

I foresaw this. Could be rough.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:00 pm

Is he a lost cause or can he be pulled back in when the new coaching staff is in place? If he's leaving because Choate/Kane left maybe there's a chance we can keep him.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:01 pm

That was one of the names I was going to list the other day when talking about transfers, but thought listing names might not be the best thing. I would guess more guys that transfered in at some point will leave as well.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 pm

This is going to be a painful thread. I fear we will see a few more for sure.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 pm

It is what it is. You either stick with the program or you don’t.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:00 pm
Is he a lost cause or can he be pulled back in when the new coaching staff is in place? If he's leaving because Choate/Kane left maybe there's a chance we can keep him.
He can come back but it's very rare that player is allowed back once they put their names in the portal.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:21 pm

I wish him luck. No matter where he goes he'll always be a MSU grad.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:00 pm
He can come back but it's very rare that player is allowed back once they put their names in the portal.
I imagine that's the case if there is a consistent head coach, but this isn't a normal case. If a new coach comes in and re-evaluates and the player is still interested, I'd imagine they could come back.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast