Transfers?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transfers?

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:34 pm

I'd chalk that one up to more of a result of COVID than the coaching change. Best of luck to the young man!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:00 pm
Is he a lost cause or can he be pulled back in when the new coaching staff is in place? If he's leaving because Choate/Kane left maybe there's a chance we can keep him.
He can come back but it's very rare that player is allowed back once they put their names in the portal.
I imagine that's the case if there is a consistent head coach, but this isn't a normal case. If a new coach comes in and re-evaluates and the player is still interested, I'd imagine they could come back.
Yeah, I would think any player that enters the portal post-Friday night would be allowed to come back if they wanted to (assuming the new HC wants them on the team after talking to them). I can see a bunch of guys entering the portal just to put themselves out there and see if there's interest from other schools, even if they would still like to stay in Bozeman, and re-evaluate when a new staff is in place.

I''m wondering if Munchie is a guy that would return or if he's just looking to get out of here and try playing somewhere else.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:10 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 pm
CelticCat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Is he a lost cause or can he be pulled back in when the new coaching staff is in place? If he's leaving because Choate/Kane left maybe there's a chance we can keep him.
He can come back but it's very rare that player is allowed back once they put their names in the portal.
I imagine that's the case if there is a consistent head coach, but this isn't a normal case. If a new coach comes in and re-evaluates and the player is still interested, I'd imagine they could come back.
Yeah, I would think any player that enters the portal post-Friday night would be allowed to come back if they wanted to (assuming the new HC wants them on the team after talking to them). I can see a bunch of guys entering the portal just to put themselves out there and see if there's interest from other schools, even if they would still like to stay in Bozeman, and re-evaluate when a new staff is in place.

I''m wondering if Munchie is a guy that would return or if he's just looking to get out of here and try playing somewhere else.
Putting yourself in the portal is a big risk. The coach/staff make the decision whether a player is allowed to come back, not the player. If a coach doesn't know if a player is coming back or not, how long would a coach or staff be willing to wait for that player to make a decision? I would think a coach/staff would be out scouring for other players in the portal versus hoping/waiting for one of these transfers to come back. Now, if there just happens to end up being a slot available, then I could see it. I'd like to see the stats of players being allowed back on their teams after opting to transfer in the portal. I bet it isn't very high.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:15 pm

coloradocat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

If the player truly isn't sure about transferring, then its probably a smarter idea for them to wait a week or 2 and see who the new coach is, meet them, and THEN decide about the portal. Rather than jumping into the portal and then changing their mind.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:21 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:15 pm
coloradocat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

If the player truly isn't sure about transferring, then its probably a smarter idea for them to wait a week or 2 and see who the new coach is, meet them, and THEN decide about the portal. Rather than jumping into the portal and then changing their mind.
Totally agree. I just wish young people would always make those kind of smart decisions.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:22 pm

91catAlum wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

No disagreement here. However, these guys just went through a rollercoaster of emotions over the past month and then got thrown off the ride on Friday so I can see some ill-advised decision making taking place.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 pm

We're not going to see a mass exodus of players just because Choate left. Players grad transfer to either get more playing time (Sterk), be at a higher level (Prukop, Toure) or to be close to home (personal reasons). I assume Filer is looking to get closer to home as he doesn't fit the other two.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 pm
We're not going to see a mass exodus of players just because Choate left. Players grad transfer to either get more playing time (Sterk), be at a higher level (Prukop, Toure) or to be close to home (personal reasons). I assume Filer is looking to get closer to home as he doesn't fit the other two.
This is what I'm thinking. Was disappointed to see him do this, as he is a huge talent and was poised to really break out this Fall as a key cog in our secondary. No idea if his injury issues, what's going on with Spring season, etc. had anything to do with it or what. I really do believe Choate created a culture here to where all these guys are really like a family now and I'd e surprised to see a bunch more players leave.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:57 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:22 pm
91catAlum wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

No disagreement here. However, these guys just went through a rollercoaster of emotions over the past month and then got thrown off the ride on Friday so I can see some ill-advised decision making taking place.
Very true, I'm sure its been a rough couple weeks on the players.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm
iaafan wrote:
This is what I'm thinking. Was disappointed to see him do this, as he is a huge talent and was poised to really break out this Fall as a key cog in our secondary. No idea if his injury issues, what's going on with Spring season, etc. had anything to do with it or what. I really do believe Choate created a culture here to where all these guys are really like a family now and I'd e surprised to see a bunch more players leave.
I hope so. I have no doubt we’ll see more. Just hope it’s not too many more and not too many big names.

This one does hurt though. Any time you lose a starter, it hurts. But after losing so much from that secondary this last year, this is one of those spots we didn’t have to worry about. Now we do.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:29 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm
iaafan wrote:
I hope so. I have no doubt we’ll see more. Just hope it’s not too many more and not too many big names.

This one does hurt though. Any time you lose a starter, it hurts. But after losing so much from that secondary this last year, this is one of those spots we didn’t have to worry about. Now we do.
There will be transfers over the summer, there always are. I doubt it'll be much more (it'll probably be slightly more because a few players might only want to play for Choate) than normal unless the selection committee really screws up.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:36 pm

The reason there are 7 current players on the search committee is so there won't be an abnormally high number of transfers. Very shrewd of Leon and Waded.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:33 pm

rivercat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:36 pm
The reason there are 7 current players on the search committee is so there won't be an abnormally high number of transfers. Very shrewd of Leon and Waded.
I think most schools put players on search committees. Transferring is a big decision and there's a lot of work that needs to be done to do that. Even if you're not in sports changing schools is a hassle. I really don't think there's a need to feel a lot of angst about players leaving.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:19 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:33 pm
rivercat wrote:
I think most schools put players on search committees. Transferring is a big decision and there's a lot of work that needs to be done to do that. Even if you're not in sports changing schools is a hassle. I really don't think there's a need to feel a lot of angst about players leaving.
My point is that SEVEN players are on the search committee. Last search committee to replace Ash had one player, Mitch Grievel.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 pm

rivercat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:19 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
My point is that SEVEN players are on the search committee. Last search committee to replace Ash had one player, Mitch Grievel.
Tennessee is currently doing the same thing and will have between 6 and 9 players on the committee. It must be the new fad.

toM StUber

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 pm
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
Tennessee is currently doing the same thing and will have between 6 and 9 players on the committee. It must be the new fad.
I think it's smart to have multiple players on the committee. I do think this is a new way of the world and I think a lot of us older guys won't like it, but it's reality. Truth is, you have to have a guy the players are going to respect and buy in to. You have to have multiple players who are leaders that are going to have the respect of the team that say "yeah this guy is the real deal, let's get behind him".

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:54 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:58 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 pm
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
I think it's smart to have multiple players on the committee. I do think this is a new way of the world and I think a lot of us older guys won't like it, but it's reality. Truth is, you have to have a guy the players are going to respect and buy in to. You have to have multiple players who are leaders that are going to have the respect of the team that say "yeah this guy is the real deal, let's get behind him".
Not only does it promote buy in with the team leaders, but also what a great opportunity for these future business/community leaders to see how a hiring process works and the inner workings of being on an interview committee.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:07 pm

Top down leadership is antiquated. People like to be involved and work under collaborative leaders. This is modeling that.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 pm

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:54 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 pm
Wondering if guys are in the wait and see mode, until a new coach and staff are hired