Choate to Texas - Co-DC - Inside LB Coach - Confirmed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Choate to Texas - Co-DC - Inside LB Coach - Confirmed

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:19 pm

I guess we derailed this thread a bit, but thanks for the thanks. I appreciate it.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:35 pm

I'm sure Jeff was excited to get down to Austin, TX and out of the nasty wintery MT weather.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 am

In case anyone is/was interested in Choate's new salary:
https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-re ... new-staff/

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:15 am

143% pay raise... Crazy!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:44 pm

Choate would’ve made closer to $400k this year at MSU.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:56 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 am
And lets keep in mind this is base salary.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:49 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:56 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Do assistants usually get a bunch of incentive bonuses?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:22 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:49 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Do assistants usually get a bunch of incentive bonuses?
Not a ton,no. He could probably bring in another 75-80k is my guess.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:49 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
One more salary tidbit to keep in mind. No state income tax in Texas.

Highest personal rate in MT is around 6%. So state income tax in MT on $500k would be around $30k. He pockets that in TX (yes, I know they have sales tax and other taxes and tax rates we don't have) - just rough numbers.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:31 pm

Looks like coach Choate has some interesting waters to navigate with his players down in Austin. Sarkisian is taking a hard line stance that the players will support the song and traditions of UT but the players don't seem to want to. Choate as a players coach is gonna be in a tough spot. Students and some alumni want the school song to be changed and donors are threatening to withdraw donations if anything happens to it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/01 ... rs-emails/

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:31 pm
Looks like coach Choate has some interesting waters to navigate with his players down in Austin. Sarkisian is taking a hard line stance that the players will support the song and traditions of UT but the players don't seem to want to. Choate as a players coach is gonna be in a tough spot. Students and some alumni want the school song to be changed and donors are threatening to withdraw donations if anything happens to it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/01 ... rs-emails/

I was thinking the same thing when I saw Caden Stearns tweet today. It’s been an ongoing issue for over a year now...welcome to the woke world of Austin, Coach!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:49 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
One more salary tidbit to keep in mind. No state income tax in Texas.

Highest personal rate in MT is around 6%. So state income tax in MT on $500k would be around $30k. He pockets that in TX (yes, I know they have sales tax and other taxes and tax rates we don't have) - just rough numbers.
Yeah, but the electricity works when it gets below freezing in Montana!

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MTnative » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 am

I get the money thing, there is more down in Austin for sure. But not that much (if he was indeed going to make $400k this year). In which case it makes me scratch my head a bit why a guy like Jeff Choate would move to Austin, Texas (yeah, I get the Coach Sark linkage too).

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:47 am

MTnative wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 am
I get the money thing, there is more down in Austin for sure. But not that much (if he was indeed going to make $400k this year). In which case it makes me scratch my head a bit why a guy like Jeff Choate would move to Austin, Texas (yeah, I get the Coach Sark linkage too).
Not meant to be personal, but it's easy to take that stance when it's someone else's money. Choate is still getting an almost $200K raise by going to Texas, I don't know about you but if someone offers me that kind of money, I'm packing my bags tonight. That's a 150% pay increase, for most of us that's life-changing type of money. On top of that, he believes (and I think he is right) strongly that he needs to be at the FBS level in order to achieve his ambition of getting a high-profile FBS head coach position (not a joke job like UNLV) - he was told that by several administrators during the BSU coaching search.

GO CATS GO!!!

DBARNETT1953
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DBARNETT1953 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:27 pm

I think Jeff is one of those people who are always on the go, constantly setting goals and working to achieve them. When the Big Sky cancelled the season and then MSU opted out of Spring football, he was left with his wheels spinning and nothing to accomplish. I think partly out of frustration he jumped to Texas just to keep doing something. I wonder if the Big Sky hadn't screwed up our football season if he would still be here?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:39 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:47 am
MTnative wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 am
Not meant to be personal, but it's easy to take that stance when it's someone else's money. Choate is still getting an almost $200K raise by going to Texas, I don't know about you but if someone offers me that kind of money, I'm packing my bags tonight. That's a 150% pay increase, for most of us that's life-changing type of money. On top of that, he believes (and I think he is right) strongly that he needs to be at the FBS level in order to achieve his ambition of getting a high-profile FBS head coach position (not a joke job like UNLV) - he was told that by several administrators during the BSU coaching search.
I don't think this is apples to oranges but our Grandson in Law works heavy equipment here in Idaho. He job is in Spokane. He is making about $45000 a year. He just recently was offered a job in Billings that will pay him at the least $75000-$80000 a year more. They really don't want to move but that money is really enticing.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:49 pm

DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:27 pm
I think Jeff is one of those people who are always on the go, constantly setting goals and working to achieve them. When the Big Sky cancelled the season and then MSU opted out of Spring football, he was left with his wheels spinning and nothing to accomplish. I think partly out of frustration he jumped to Texas just to keep doing something. I wonder if the Big Sky hadn't screwed up our football season if he would still be here?
I tend to think he'd still be here, or at least wouldn't have been looking at leaving. I know the BSC screwed things up, but I'm not sure that wasn't the best thing for the programs involved anyway. I don't know that they could've afforded the testing while basically bringing in no revenue. It would've been expensive to have a fall season, and I'm just not sure it would've happened. Now the BSC is the scapegoat, and I've pointed the finger at them plenty, but I don't think a season was ever realistic for us. I do think they should've been more up front about that instead of stringing everybody along.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm

Choate's pay probably decreased about 100K from 2019 to 2020. His base was 206K but then he always got another 60-70K just for doing the bobcat sport report and Cat Chat on Wednesdays, correct? Well neither of those happened in 2020. Plus with no games he wasn't able to collect his annual 10K for beating um, and other bonuses for winning 8/9/10 games, advancing to the playoffs, etc.
I dont know the exact numbers but he probably made 350K in 2019, and less than 250K in 2020. I'll bet that played a big role in his decision to follow the money down to Texas.
Does anybody know the actual numbers of his salary in 2019 vs. 2020?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:14 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Choate's pay probably decreased about 100K from 2019 to 2020. His base was 206K but then he always got another 60-70K just for doing the bobcat sport report and Cat Chat on Wednesdays, correct? Well neither of those happened in 2020. Plus with no games he wasn't able to collect his annual 10K for beating um, and other bonuses for winning 8/9/10 games, advancing to the playoffs, etc.
I dont know the exact numbers but he probably made 350K in 2019, and less than 250K in 2020. I'll bet that played a big role in his decision to follow the money down to Texas.
Does anybody know the actual numbers of his salary in 2019 vs. 2020?
Ya I think people are over-complicating his decision. Regardless of football aspirations, money usually wins out in all occupations. Fans tend to look at sports different than any other job. I don't care what you are doing, if you can make an extra 200k or more every year, almost everyone would jump on that. I can't imagine hardly anyone on this board would turn down that kind of money.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Why are people not taking Choate at his word? The money is nice, and yes he grumbled about having his salary tied to Bobby even though he kicked his ass is literally every measurable, but this was never truly about the money. He has a goal to be a head coach at the FBS level, and he will continue to work relentlessly to achieve his goal. When Pete Kwiatkowski called with an opportunity, he decided this is a natural next step. That's why he's gone.