Choate to Texas - Co-DC - Inside LB Coach - Confirmed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: Choate to Texas - Co-DC - Inside LB Coach - Confirmed

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:29 am

I'll bet a good deal of head coaches in the power 5 come from coordinators. Look at Sarkesian....he had to go back to coordinating to get this chance!

2024 Resume dominance

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:31 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:29 am
I'll bet a good deal of head coaches in the power 5 come from coordinators. Look at Sarkesian....he had to go back to coordinating to get this chance!
Andy Avalos, DC at Oregon beat Choate out for the HC at Boise State. This is the usual progression.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:32 am

aucat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:16 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:09 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:55 pm
So, here’s some details.

This got leaked early on the Texas side, before Choate was able to talk to all of the players. He’s obviously not very pleased about that, but people love to be the “first” to get the information out.

Choate loved his time at MSU. So why is he moving on? He wants to be an FBS HC. After the Boise search, he seemed to realize that FCS to FBS HC hires are not that common/frequent. So he became more open to the idea of a DC job at a major P5 school.

He did not approach this job, they approached him. Kwiatkoski is close with Choate, after Mike Stoops fell through he convinced Sark on Choate.

At the end of the day, I get why Choate is leaving. He’s making the better career choice. I feel bad for him that it got leaked out before he could talk to his players. I think all of us, when we look back and reflect, know that he cares a ton about these players. Good luck to Choate in Texas.
Thanks 99, not at all surprised the news broke/leaked before he could tell the team, it's a product of the Twitter age and instant gratification that comes from our hyper connected lives.

It sucks, but he's left the program in a much better state than his predecessor. He'll always be Coach Cho4te to me... 8) all the best coach, really hope it works out in Austin, don't know that Sark would be my first choice, but that kind of payday is hard to pass up.
If the decision is solely based on salary, then I can understand his move. But no way do I think this puts him in a better position to move to a HC job in FBS.
It absolutely does put him in a better position.

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:14 am

[/quote]

I would agree if he were taking a DC position but he is not. He was given a title as CO-DC but in actual practice he is a position coach.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:32 am
aucat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
So, here’s some details.

This got leaked early on the Texas side, before Choate was able to talk to all of the players. He’s obviously not very pleased about that, but people love to be the “first” to get the information out.

Choate loved his time at MSU. So why is he moving on? He wants to be an FBS HC. After the Boise search, he seemed to realize that FCS to FBS HC hires are not that common/frequent. So he became more open to the idea of a DC job at a major P5 school.

He did not approach this job, they approached him. Kwiatkoski is close with Choate, after Mike Stoops fell through he convinced Sark on Choate.

At the end of the day, I get why Choate is leaving. He’s making the better career choice. I feel bad for him that it got leaked out before he could talk to his players. I think all of us, when we look back and reflect, know that he cares a ton about these players. Good luck to Choate in Texas.
Thanks 99, not at all surprised the news broke/leaked before he could tell the team, it's a product of the Twitter age and instant gratification that comes from our hyper connected lives.

It sucks, but he's left the program in a much better state than his predecessor. He'll always be Coach Cho4te to me... 8) all the best coach, really hope it works out in Austin, don't know that Sark would be my first choice, but that kind of payday is hard to pass up.
If the decision is solely based on salary, then I can understand his move. But no way do I think this puts him in a better position to move to a HC job in FBS.
People can scrutinize bar tabs with tequila shots on them all you want...

Steve Sarkisian was just the offensive coordinator of arguably the most talented and prolific offense in college football history. Three players were among the three finalists for the Heisman Trophy. Alabama’s offense might include four and even five first round picks. Heisman winner Devonta Smith will be a star in the NFL day 1.

Pete Kwiatkowski has no holes on his resume. Between Montana State, Boise State, Washington, he’s one of the most proven - and subsequently highest paid - defensive coordinators in the country.

He and Choate have worked together before. Word on the street is Sark’s main lesson from Saban was to hire the best staff possible no matter the cost. Word also is Sark got more money than you could imagine to build an assistant pool. Coach K is set to make $2 million. I bet Choate makes close to what his salary could’ve been as Boise State head coach. Bryan Harsin made $1.8 mil last year.

If you think that an ultra competitive guy like Choate gets offered a chance to rebuild one of the most prestigious and certainly one of the most lucrative, resource rich programs in the United States and it comes with a pay raise of at least five times his MSU base and maybe as much as 10 times...that there’s even a sliver of a chance he’ll down...

Choate might’ve hesitated with Boise State. New AD, different first choice for HC, changing landscape, Broncs maybe moving leagues or going independent, the ****** show of the Mountain West TV contract in concern to BSU (if you don’t know, better start listening to my radio show).

But this is a slam dunk. Choate gone like a ghost in the night because when this is presented to you, you take it. Period. Congrats to Choate. He’s an elite football coach, and as much momentum as he created at MSU, this is a dream scenario even if the pressure and potential to fail is astronomical.

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bob12 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:50 am

Thank you Colter for putting it into perspective for the fans. We as Bobcat fans are and should be pissed/upset/sad/encouraged/excited by this change. It's fine to feel any of those feelings. Deep down every fan knows, or should know, that they would have done the same thing. I am for one thankful we aren't firing another coach.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:52 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 am
bobcat99 wrote:
aucat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
So, here’s some details.

Steve Sarkisian was just the offensive coordinator of arguably the most talented and prolific offense in college football history. Three players were among the three finalists for the Heisman Trophy. Alabama’s offense might include four and even five first round picks. Heisman winner Devonta Smith will be a star in the NFL day 1.

Pete Kwiatkowski has no holes on his resume. Between Montana State, Boise State, Washington, he’s one of the most proven - and subsequently highest paid - defensive coordinators in the country.

He and Choate have worked together before. Word on the street is Sark’s main lesson from Saban was to hire the best staff possible no matter the cost. Word also is Sark got more money than you could imagine to build an assistant pool. Coach K is set to make $2 million. I bet Choate makes close to what his salary could’ve been as Boise State head coach. Bryan Harsin made $1.8 mil last year.

If you think that an ultra competitive guy like Choate gets offered a chance to rebuild one of the most prestigious and certainly one of the most lucrative, resource rich programs in the United States and it comes with a pay raise of at least five times his MSU base and maybe as much as 10 times...that there’s even a sliver of a chance he’ll down...

Choate might’ve hesitated with Boise State. New AD, different first choice for HC, changing landscape, Broncs maybe moving leagues or going independent, the ****** show of the Mountain West TV contract in concern to BSU (if you don’t know, better start listening to my radio show).

But this is a slam dunk. Choate gone like a ghost in the night because when this is presented to you, you take it. Period. Congrats to Choate. He’s an elite football coach, and as much momentum as he created at MSU, this is a dream scenario even if the pressure and potential to fail is astronomical.
Yep. Some are way overthinking this. I’m over the surprise. He has an opportunity to make more money and advance his career. Like every single one of us wants to do...

I’m annoyed for the players and staff. They were blind sided like we all were.

Many moving parts right now. Some our staff have amazing opportunities. We’re in a great place thanks to Choate.

I’d like to see Ty back on the sidelines in one form or another.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:15 am

How far up the coaching tree is Clay Bignell, (if we lose Ioane).

2024 Resume dominance

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:55 am

bobcat99 wrote:
So, here’s some details.

This kind of dovetails on what I’ve believed for a long time, that fans here are delusional thinking someone will be thrilled to take a massive pay cut just because we like Montana.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:26 am

It is frustrating that a power 5 position coach makes 3X what a head coach at MSU makes. I wish they could double or triple what FCS coaches get paid but without TV money not sure how they could afford that.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:03 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 am
bobcat99 wrote:
aucat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
So, here’s some details.

Well said.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:05 am

Jeff Choate has been an excellent coach and program builder over his time at MSU. He has left the program in a better place than where he found, that's for sure. People upset with him for leaving should be appreciative that he's made it a more attractive spot for his successor.

The reality of being an FCS program is that, if you're good, you're a stepping stone to bigger programs. That's frustrating, because you have to get used to seeing good coaches leave. But them leaving for better opportunities is also an indicator that your program is healthy.

The reality is that Costello can either find a guy to adequately replace Choate, or he can't. He was going to have to do it now or later.

Maybe if we're really fortunate, he can find us someone who has given up on himself and realized he's not capable of competing at a higher level than the BSC. Our friends on the other side of the divide tell me that's the best kind of coach to hire.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:56 am

Meant to edit this post but ended up quoting it. Oops.
Last edited by lutecat on Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:59 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:56 am
I guess I was a little ticked that he would leave for this and like this. But it makes sense with the 24 hour news cycle and everyone wanting to scoop everyone else. Because not telling his players just doesn't compute with who he is. I disagree that this is the k ly way he gets. P5 HC and think that given a couple more years here of great success, he would've been in demand as a coach. But on the other hand, what's the best Bohl could do? WY.

But it is Texas. But also its fans are going to dictate how long that staff is there.

Good luck coach. I appreciate where we're at because of you.

Now on to the future. Women's basketball is a great program here. Coach Bin is awesome. Men's is looking like it's treating WAY up. Sprinks is on the rise. Leon is bringing in the money to improve facilities. Football will have great support. Coach Choate will talk our university up I'm sure of that. And he has great connections all over FBS football. We know that. It'll either be Kane or someone that's going to be a good fit. Waded will make sure of that.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:01 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:05 am
Jeff Choate has been an excellent coach and program builder over his time at MSU. He has left the program in a better place than where he found, that's for sure. People upset with him for leaving should be appreciative that he's made it a more attractive spot for his successor.

The reality of being an FCS program is that, if you're good, you're a stepping stone to bigger programs. That's frustrating, because you have to get used to seeing good coaches leave. But them leaving for better opportunities is also an indicator that your program is healthy.

The reality is that Costello can either find a guy to adequately replace Choate, or he can't. He was going to have to do it now or later.

Maybe if we're really fortunate, he can find us someone who has given up on himself and realized he's not capable of competing at a higher level than the BSC. Our friends on the other side of the divide tell me that's the best kind of coach to hire.
Yep, my 2016 self would've been very happy with the idea that Choate would coach for four years and go 4-0 against UM with QF and SF playoff appearances before moving on. Ultimately, what I think we should want is for a coach to leave the program clearly in better shape than it was in when he arrived, and to have developed assistant coaches who are capable of stepping up and taking his place. Coach Choate did this, although we'll see what happens with Kane and the Boise job as he's the obvious internal promotion for MSU to make. It's easy to get emotional and feel angry or betrayed when a coach leaves, but really I think we should be very thankful for what Coach Choate accomplished and built here. The future is bright and it won't take a multi-year rebuilding process for once to get there.

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:05 am

bob12 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:50 am
Thank you Colter for putting it into perspective for the fans. We as Bobcat fans are and should be pissed/upset/sad/encouraged/excited by this change. It's fine to feel any of those feelings. Deep down every fan knows, or should know, that they would have done the same thing. I am for one thankful we aren't firing another coach.
Great logic by Colter but Bob12 you hit on a key element. If you really think about it, the root of EVERYTHING surrounding sports IS EMOTION! I'll wait for an example that isn't tied to emotion in coaching, playing, spectating or reporting around a sport...

So while there is logic, it's perfectly fine to be emotional about the change as every change has loss and emotion to it.

Congrats Choate! You did what almost every single person on the planet would do when there is an offer to better their situation. Godspeed and Go Cats!

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:23 am

Cledus wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:55 am
bobcat99 wrote:
So, here’s some details.

This kind of dovetails on what I’ve believed for a long time, that fans here are delusional thinking someone will be thrilled to take a massive pay cut just because we like Montana.
“Fans here are delusional.” That’s all you needed to say. No need to elaborate. This place became eCats two years before Ash left.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:39 am

I, along with many others, feel blindsided the news and how it went down. So feeling aggrieved is natural.

But, Colter is spot on. That's a great post and really, bluntly highlights the truth of the matter.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:46 am

The staff that Texas is assembly is extremely impressive. UT has already stated that they want to elevate Longhorn football back to its glory days where they are regularly not only winning Big 12 titles, but competing for national championships. The pressure is on. If UT isn't consistently in the FBS playoffs in the next 4-5 years, this staff is gone. I hope for Choate's sake that he made the right move and that Texas can achieve its goal.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:57 am

Longhorn Nation is loving the hire, as they should. They got themselves a good one...

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/coach- ... 22/page-43

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay