Choate to Texas - Co-DC - Inside LB Coach - Confirmed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Choate to Texas - Co-DC - Inside LB Coach - Confirmed

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:09 pm

CatBot wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm
Why are people not taking Choate at his word? The money is nice, and yes he grumbled about having his salary tied to Bobby even though he kicked his ass is literally every measurable, but this was never truly about the money. He has a goal to be a head coach at the FBS level, and he will continue to work relentlessly to achieve his goal. When Pete Kwiatkowski called with an opportunity, he decided this is a natural next step. That's why he's gone.
I have no doubt climbing the ladder was most important. He wants to be a FBS head coach and was instructed that a coordinator position at an FBS school is the best way to achieve that goal. But if the money was less or even the same I'm not sure we would have seen him make that jump when he did.

In regards why we don't "take him at his word", it's because he said what every single coach in the history of sports has said before him. Can you point to one example where the coach said he took another job because the money was better? It will never happen.

And if money is never a factor, than I would have to say that coaching is the only position in the world where people don't move on for better money, and ONLY because of the opportunity to progress in a career.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:57 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:09 pm
CatBot wrote:
Why are people not taking Choate at his word? The money is nice, and yes he grumbled about having his salary tied to Bobby even though he kicked his ass is literally every measurable, but this was never truly about the money. He has a goal to be a head coach at the FBS level, and he will continue to work relentlessly to achieve his goal. When Pete Kwiatkowski called with an opportunity, he decided this is a natural next step. That's why he's gone.
I have no doubt climbing the ladder was most important. He wants to be a FBS head coach and was instructed that a coordinator position at an FBS school is the best way to achieve that goal. But if the money was less or even the same I'm not sure we would have seen him make that jump when he did.

In regards why we don't "take him at his word", it's because he said what every single coach in the history of sports has said before him. Can you point to one example where the coach said he took another job because the money was better? It will never happen.

And if money is never a factor, than I would have to say that coaching is the only position in the world where people don't move on for better money, and ONLY because of the opportunity to progress in a career.
Choate actually took a pay cut to come to MSU. There's one excellent example of a coach making a career move without money being the primary consideration.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:39 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:47 am
MTnative wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 am
I get the money thing, there is more down in Austin for sure. But not that much (if he was indeed going to make $400k this year). In which case it makes me scratch my head a bit why a guy like Jeff Choate would move to Austin, Texas (yeah, I get the Coach Sark linkage too).
Not meant to be personal, but it's easy to take that stance when it's someone else's money. Choate is still getting an almost $200K raise by going to Texas, I don't know about you but if someone offers me that kind of money, I'm packing my bags tonight. That's a 150% pay increase, for most of us that's life-changing type of money. On top of that, he believes (and I think he is right) strongly that he needs to be at the FBS level in order to achieve his ambition of getting a high-profile FBS head coach position (not a joke job like UNLV) - he was told that by several administrators during the BSU coaching search.
I don't think this is apples to oranges but our Grandson in Law works heavy equipment here in Idaho. He job is in Spokane. He is making about $45000 a year. He just recently was offered a job in Billings that will pay him at the least $75000-$80000 a year more. They really don't want to move but that money is really enticing.
Encourage him to move. I'm biased, but Billings is way better than Spocompton...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:04 pm

He's had other opportunities to jump for more money. If this was about money he would've taken them.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:36 pm

lutecat wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:04 pm
He's had other opportunities to jump for more money. If this was about money he would've taken them.
It can be about the money withou being ONLY about the money.

If the Cats matched a $500k salary, would he have stayed? Hard to think so, because 1) his stock wasn’t going any higher without beating NDSU 2) even if he did beat NDSU, there still wasn’t a good FBS job offer coming without being a DC at a Power 5 school. 3) He gets to coach with guys he really likes.

Throw in a raise on top of that....chances are he would have made the move with no raise, because it’s such an obviously necessary career move, but a big raise sure makes it easier.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:56 am

ilovethecats wrote:
CatBot wrote:

I'm not going to spend any time looking this up, but I actually do remember examples of coaches being honest with the media and saying more money definitely was a huge factor in them jumping ship. I remember comments like, "Financial security for my family was an important factor", and "You have to jump on a huge pay raise when you can, especially in coaching where you might get fired tomorrow", etc.

But, I agree ILTC - usually this isn't what coaches were going to say to the media even if it is the reason. As you were. 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:15 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:56 am
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBot wrote:

I'm not going to spend any time looking this up, but I actually do remember examples of coaches being honest with the media and saying more money definitely was a huge factor in them jumping ship. I remember comments like, "Financial security for my family was an important factor", and "You have to jump on a huge pay raise when you can, especially in coaching where you might get fired tomorrow", etc.

But, I agree ILTC - usually this isn't what coaches were going to say to the media even if it is the reason. As you were. 8)
Ya I agree with ya there. I've heard similar coachspeak.

I agree with onceacat as well, he just worded it better than myself. I wasn't implying that the ONLY reason Choate left when he did was an extra couple hundred grand a year. Reaching his ultimate goal of being an FBS head coach is obviously number one. I just thought people were overthinking the entire process. He found an opportunity that will help him reach his career goals, and will pocket almost a quarter of a million more every year in the process. Who in their right mind would ever turn down that opportunity?

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:15 am
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBot wrote:

I agree with onceacat as well, he just worded it better than myself. I wasn't implying that the ONLY reason Choate left when he did was an extra couple hundred grand a year. Reaching his ultimate goal of being an FBS head coach is obviously number one. I just thought people were overthinking the entire process. He found an opportunity that will help him reach his career goals, and will pocket almost a quarter of a million more every year in the process. Who in their right mind would ever turn down that opportunity?
I think I'm with you. Seems like a lot of people on here (on a variety of topics) digs in on one side of an argument and won't recognize that both sides might be true. I believe Choate left because he had a really good opportunity to advance his career. I also believe the money was one factor that influenced his decision. I also believe he was frustrated with the BSC. I also believe it's POSSIBLE he was just getting antsy and it was time for something new. It's like this is a multiple choice test and you have to pick A, B, C, or D. Every one of those could be true, or any combination. And I also think any one of those motivations is valid. I'd have probably done the same thing. I just feel bad for the players who went through a hell of a roller coaster over this whole thing and they miss their guy.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:39 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:31 pm
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
MTnative wrote:
I get the money thing, there is more down in Austin for sure. But not that much (if he was indeed going to make $400k this year). In which case it makes me scratch my head a bit why a guy like Jeff Choate would move to Austin, Texas (yeah, I get the Coach Sark linkage too).
Not meant to be personal, but it's easy to take that stance when it's someone else's money. Choate is still getting an almost $200K raise by going to Texas, I don't know about you but if someone offers me that kind of money, I'm packing my bags tonight. That's a 150% pay increase, for most of us that's life-changing type of money. On top of that, he believes (and I think he is right) strongly that he needs to be at the FBS level in order to achieve his ambition of getting a high-profile FBS head coach position (not a joke job like UNLV) - he was told that by several administrators during the BSU coaching search.
I don't think this is apples to oranges but our Grandson in Law works heavy equipment here in Idaho. He job is in Spokane. He is making about $45000 a year. He just recently was offered a job in Billings that will pay him at the least $75000-$80000 a year more. They really don't want to move but that money is really enticing.
Encourage him to move. I'm biased, but Billings is way better than Spocompton...
Oh gosh yes... Really not a fan of Spokane... Without derailing the thread, if he were to take the job is there much difference in areas around Billings; Park City, Acton, Worden, etc? Mostly thing about housing affordability, availability... He does not mind traveling 30 minutes... Billings is big!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

ICRobots
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ICRobots » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:15 am
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBot wrote:

I think I'm with you. Seems like a lot of people on here (on a variety of topics) digs in on one side of an argument and won't recognize that both sides might be true. I believe Choate left because he had a really good opportunity to advance his career. I also believe the money was one factor that influenced his decision. I also believe he was frustrated with the BSC. I also believe it's POSSIBLE he was just getting antsy and it was time for something new. It's like this is a multiple choice test and you have to pick A, B, C, or D. Every one of those could be true, or any combination. And I also think any one of those motivations is valid. I'd have probably done the same thing. I just feel bad for the players who went through a hell of a roller coaster over this whole thing and they miss their guy.
I agree with the thoughts above that it is a combination of reasons. I also believe that there was an element of uncertainty with regards to the NCAA and the pending one-time transfer exemption. Once implemented it will be challenging for FCS teams to build the types of rosters and depth that Choate did. His passion seemed to be building a program in his vision and culture. This will be more difficult in the future as there is a high likelihood that turnover in the roster will be increased.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:06 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:39 am
grizzh8r wrote:
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
MTnative wrote:
Oh gosh yes... Really not a fan of Spokane... Without derailing the thread, if he were to take the job is there much difference in areas around Billings; Park City, Acton, Worden, etc? Mostly thing about housing affordability, availability... He does not mind traveling 30 minutes... Billings is big!!!
The Huntley area is great, imo. That includes Wordon. Wouldn’t live in Park City. Billings is good sized. Depending on where he works, the commute may be the same living in Wordon. It’s close to the interstate which is always nice.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:18 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:39 am
grizzh8r wrote:
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
MTnative wrote:
Check your PM's Rick.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:32 pm

What I want to know is how coaching part of a position and being a fake coordinator for a dying program helps him get the HC job he's eventually looking for. He couldn't have waited for a real coordinator offer? Or at least an offer to coach an entire position?

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:32 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:32 pm
What I want to know is how coaching part of a position and being a fake coordinator for a dying program helps him get the HC job he's eventually looking for. He couldn't have waited for a real coordinator offer? Or at least an offer to coach an entire position?
"A dying program" ..... You just made a whole lot of fans go to the highest buildings :) :) :)

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:17 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:32 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:32 pm
"A dying program" ..... You just made a whole lot of fans go to the highest buildings :) :) :)
I assume those fans would already be up there over the Eyes of Texas thing. Players and students making an issue of not wanting to sing a song, being called snowflakes by people who would turn around and make (or at least threaten to make) actual financial/charitable decisions based on a song? UT is eating itself.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Choate introduces himself co-defensive coordinator.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:39 pm

According to Football Scoop, Choate is the 10th highest paid LBs coach who also has another title.

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-high ... 1-edition/

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:44 am

*Inside LBs coach

He jumped ship to go to a program that isn't even giving him a whole position to coach.

-Trent King, Playmakers

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:44 am
*Inside LBs coach

He jumped ship to go to a program that isn't even giving him a whole position to coach.
Sadly, this move to Texas will open a lot more doors for him than being a head coach for a premier FCS school. I think his salary provides a better indication of his role and responsibilities than his job title.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:48 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:44 am
*Inside LBs coach

Sadly, this move to Texas will open a lot more doors for him than being a head coach for a premier FCS school. I think his salary provides a better indication of his role and responsibilities than his job title.
Pretty sure you meant a premier FBS school. Choate just left a premier FCS school.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate