UDub loses DC to Texas. Choate to Interview?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

UDub loses DC to Texas. Choate to Interview?

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:25 pm

Pays almost a million a year and he’s close with the remaining staff. Sounds like some boosters want to interview Choate if they don’t promote from within the staff.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: UDub loses DC to Texas. Choate to Interview?

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:29 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:25 pm
Pays almost a million a year and he’s close with the remaining staff. Sounds like some boosters want to interview Choate if they don’t promote from within the staff.
My opinion is that if Choate wanted to be a DC he would have stayed as a DL coach.

I think he likes being a head coach, and I'd be surprised if he showed any interest in coordinating. That said, anything is possible, especially with that much money involved.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:30 pm

He's not going to take a DC job...even at a Power 5. Head Coach or bust moving forward.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:33 pm

I wondered if any of the HC vacancies like Tennessee would lead to other options for Choate. Say Hugh Freeze got Tennessee, would Liberty look at Choate. I’d think after the Boise storm, he’s gotta stay committed to MSU for another year minimum. Ya know...the whole unfinished business thing. Can’t say that and then take every interview offered, if you want your current team to believe in you.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:24 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:30 pm
He's not going to take a DC job...even at a Power 5. Head Coach or bust moving forward.
I’m not so sure. A lot of Power 5 head coaches come from the coordinator roles versus stepping up directly from an FCS head coaching position. If he wants to be a head coach at a Power 5 program, this is a logical step. And given his connections to the program, I am a little worried this might have some substance to it.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:10 pm

It’s crazy to think both Pete K and Jimmy Lake were at MSU as assistants at the same time.

Is texas a big step up from UW?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:10 pm
It’s crazy to think both Pete K and Jimmy Lake were at MSU as assistants at the same time.

In terms of booster base, recruiting pool, facilities, resources, and having their own TV network, the only better DC jobs than Texas are either in the SEC (Bama/LSU/Georgia/Florida) or one-offs like Clemson/Notre Dame/Ohio State/USC IMO.

Is it so far-fetched that Choate would go work for Lake? I don’t think it is if you consider he can have three great years at UDub as DC and then really be in the mix for head coach P5 jobs. Depends on what his career goals are, I suppose. The NDSU coaches had to take G5 jobs and their program is the biggest dynasty in FCS/1-AA history.

What a ride

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:26 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:34 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:26 pm
Word is that it’s likely Gregory if all goes well during interviews.

Kane must be on there for the same reason Choate got a Boise interview. Coached there before, has had some success since, and being mentioned elevates his coaching profile for future openings.

What a ride

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:42 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 pm
wbtfg wrote:

In terms of booster base, recruiting pool, facilities, resources, and having their own TV network, the only better DC jobs than Texas are either in the SEC (Bama/LSU/Georgia/Florida) or one-offs like Clemson/Notre Dame/Ohio State/USC IMO.

Is it so far-fetched that Choate would go work for Lake? I don’t think it is if you consider he can have three great years at UDub as DC and then really be in the mix for head coach P5 jobs. Depends on what his career goals are, I suppose. The NDSU coaches had to take G5 jobs and their program is the biggest dynasty in FCS/1-AA history.
I don’t think Choate is interested in being an assistant again, even if it is a DC at a P5.

I feel like if Pete thought UW’s program was on the rise he’d stay. Instead he’s making essentially a lateral move.

I’d be shocked if Choate went back to Montlake as a coordinator.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:40 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:42 pm
PapaG wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 pm
wbtfg wrote:

I don’t think Choate is interested in being an assistant again, even if it is a DC at a P5.

I feel like if Pete thought UW’s program was on the rise he’d stay. Instead he’s making essentially a lateral move.

I’d be shocked if Choate went back to Montlake as a coordinator.
A “lateral move” that takes his salary from $1.1 million a year to over $2 million at a traditional power. The only lateral move part is the job title but he will have full responsibility for the defense with an offensive head coach in Sark instead of co-play caller with Jimmy Lake.

What a ride

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 am

My in-laws are big UW fans. Jimmy Lake doesn't have too much of a history as a HC of course, but in his limited history of hiring coaches, he's preferred to hire coaches with NFL experience. That would put Gerald Alexander as top candidate from the above listed candidates.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Is that "our" Gerald Alexander that used to coach DB's? I thought he was at UCLA or something. Man he was a great coach and recruiter.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:58 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Is that "our" Gerald Alexander that used to coach DB's? I thought he was at UCLA or something. Man he was a great coach and recruiter.
yes, he went to Cal for a couple years, then to Miami. Hard to believe he coached DBs at Montana State just 4-5 years ago!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:04 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Incoming and existing players have to feel even better about our coaching staff. Choate probably second at BSU and now Kane in running at UW.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:17 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:58 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
yes, he went to Cal for a couple years, then to Miami. Hard to believe he coached DBs at Montana State just 4-5 years ago!
crazy that we have two coaches in the NFL right now that have coached at MSU within the last 5 years. GA is fantastic, and the Dolphins secondary and defense was salty this year - super cool for him!

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:01 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:04 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Incoming and existing players have to feel even better about our coaching staff. Choate probably second at BSU and now Kane in running at UW.
I haven’t seen anything from any kind of outlet that one could trust that Kane is in the running for the job at UW. He wasn’t even a position coach when he was at UW. Highly unlikely he’d be considered.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:01 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:17 pm
91catAlum wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
crazy that we have two coaches in the NFL right now that have coached at MSU within the last 5 years. GA is fantastic, and the Dolphins secondary and defense was salty this year - super cool for him!
GA is a phenomenal coach. I bet he’s a DC in the NFL within 5 years.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:36 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:01 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:17 pm
91catAlum wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
GA is a phenomenal coach. I bet he’s a DC in the NFL within 5 years.
I wonder how GA likes the NFL compared to college. I got the impression he really enjoyed the recruiting grind as well as being a mentor to young men.