Need its own topic. No spring season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Need its own topic. No spring season

Post by bobcatozzy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Rest In peace dad.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Need its own topic. No spring season

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:33 pm

Yup. Spring season never made any sense from day one... They should have just let them play last fall... excited for this next fall, hope they allow fans... go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:37 pm

Not surprising, but still VERY disappointing. Without TV deals and fans the cost was probably too much to make it work. Also looking at all the problems in the fall for the conferences playing made this decision easier to make for the administration.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm

As is being said everywhere, I'm bummed but not surprised and its the best decision. I am really glad both Universities came together to make this decision. I'm certainly glad Choate didn't leave for a ton of reasons and this is another, I can see everyone saying we backed out because or head coach left. Thankfully we don't have to hear that.

I didnt totally understand the article. We are going to have two spring games/scrimmages? Does that mean we will actually schedule opponents? If so, do they have to be non-conference? Maybe a home and home with um???

Hating the griz since 02.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:07 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm
As is being said everywhere, I'm bummed but not surprised and its the best decision. I am really glad both Universities came together to make this decision. I'm certainly glad Choate didn't leave for a ton of reasons and this is another, I can see everyone saying we backed out because or head coach left. Thankfully we don't have to hear that.

I didnt totally understand the article. We are going to have two spring games/scrimmages? Does that mean we will actually schedule opponents? If so, do they have to be non-conference? Maybe a home and home with um???
Both teams may play two non-conference games but most people think they will be more like "games". We aren't playing um in any capacity until November.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:16 pm

CodyCat wrote:

I agree, disappointing but not surprising. The UM AD has said today that they don't expect to play any other Big Sky schools in whatever this "modified season" looks like. I say Cat/Griz can wait until Fall when everyone is hopefully back to playing full seasons with full schedules.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:18 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:07 pm
CodyCat wrote:

Both teams may play two non-conference games but most people think they will be more like "games". We aren't playing um in any capacity until November.
I posted this in another thread.

The Cats and griz will never play a "scrimmage" game for the same reason the USA & Russia don't play war games against each other.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 pm

Also announced, there will not be a BSC indoor track championship, scheduled for Feb.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:15 pm

I know it’s been posted elsewhere that it won’t happen, but in a (current environment withstanding) utopian way, how much money could be generated if the two games were against each other with an open week in between. I know I’d pay extra for my current seats in Bozo and might pay to go to Missoula too.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

ButteCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ButteCat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:46 pm

I certainly hope that the November Cat-Griz game is in Bobcat Stadium.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:56 pm

ButteCat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:46 pm
I certainly hope that the November Cat-Griz game is in Bobcat Stadium.
I'm guessing it would be too complicated to push the 2020 schedule (and all future schedules) out a year due to non-conf schedules so everyone will likely play the 2021 schedule in 2021.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:58 pm

It was a terrible idea to begin with and was almost impossible to make happen, as many of us posted when it was announced.

Good riddance to a fake season. Get ready for fall.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:42 pm

In case you missed it, here's everything Montana State AD Leon Costello, Montana State head coach Jeff Choate had to say about the "modification" of spring football for the Grizzlies

Big Sky Breakdown – Costello, Choate on altered spring season
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-bre ... ng-season/

In case you missed it, here's everything Montana AD Kent Haslam, Griz head coach Bobby Hauck had to say about the "modification" of spring football for the Grizzlies

Big Sky Breakdown – Haslam, Hauck on modification of spring football
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-bre ... -football/

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:17 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:58 pm
It was a terrible idea to begin with and was almost impossible to make happen, as many of us posted when it was announced.

Good riddance to a fake season. Get ready for fall.
Yep. It’s all moot now. Only thing that matters at this point is if we be “allowed” at that point to go to the games? It might still not be “safe” by then. :sick:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:44 pm

I am guessing that the two spring games will be local NAIA schools. Very low cost and they can be treated like exhibition games. I am guessing Tech, Western, Rocky, Norrhern or Carrol will get a money game ($25,000 to $50,000) to travel and play in either Bozeman or Missoula.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:14 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:44 pm
I am guessing that the two spring games will be local NAIA schools. Very low cost and they can be treated like exhibition games. I am guessing Tech, Western, Rocky, Norrhern or Carrol will get a money game ($25,000 to $50,000) to travel and play in either Bozeman or Missoula.
Gotta be Western and Rocky with our coaching connections.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:50 pm

Another year in a row the griz haven't beat us. Lol

So so does this mean the new construction will be completed by the next game in the stadium?

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:12 pm

I heard Leon talk about meeting with Vigen to see what his thoughts were about having a game or two scheduled this spring. I know we aren’t competing in the conference schedule and that’s a good thing in my opinion. However, if we only schedule spring practices, we only get 15 sanctioned practices. If we schedule a game or two, I remember Choate saying we could get upwards of 30 sanctioned practices. It seems to me that it’s an absolute “no brainer” to schedule a few games. Who knows, maybe we schedule to games and dagnabbit, have to cancel due to COVID. 😉😉😉😉 But hey, we got 15+ more practices to get the new coaches program implemented.

Thoughts?

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:13 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:12 pm
I heard Leon talk about meeting with Vigen to see what his thoughts were about having a game or two scheduled this spring. I know we aren’t competing in the conference schedule and that’s a good thing in my opinion. However, if we only schedule spring practices, we only get 15 sanctioned practices. If we schedule a game or two, I remember Choate saying we could get upwards of 30 sanctioned practices. It seems to me that it’s an absolute “no brainer” to schedule a few games. Who knows, maybe we schedule to games and dagnabbit, have to cancel due to COVID. 😉😉😉😉 But hey, we got 15+ more practices to get the new coaches program implemented.

Thoughts?
I think that's exactly what will happen. At least two games will be scheduled and hope for at least one of them to be played.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:57 pm

Is the Big Sky still trying to decide what to do with the fall schedule? I would think the teams/coaches/administrators etc. would like to know what the schedule will be. I haven't seen anything to indicate what their plan is.