MSU’s next head coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU’s next head coach

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:25 am

canyoncat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:50 am
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:44 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:36 am
I was doing a little reading on some of these guys yesterday. Charlie Ragle was mentioned as a candidate for Arizona's head job a month ago by a beat writer, and the specific reasons were that he's a phenomenal recruiter and great with the program-building, booster relations stuff. His ties to the Arizona high school game are intriguing. In my opinion (which is worth zero but hey it's a message board) he's a pretty high-quality candidate.
I agree. If forced, where would you rank him?
I know you’re not talking to me, but I think I’d put Lubick at the top, then Ragle, then McEndoo.
Exactly how I'd rank them, and i think maybe Noah joseph 4th. I'm not very interested in Mike Riley or Jeff Fisher; Riley's connections with Dennis Erickson make me nervous.
Why would Riley's connection to Erickson make you nervous? Matts connections to Dennis are alot deeper.
Just because he's not someone I'd like and i know Erickson has some heft in the athletic dept. But your point about lubick is a good one. I also wanted to edit my list to say Junior Adams not Noah Joseph would be my #4. McEndoo would round out my top 5.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:05 am

While I think it's impressive that the job is attracting candidates like Mike Riley and Jeff Fisher, I don't think either of them are in my top 5. I suppose if I had to choose between the two it would be Riley, only because he has a lot more college experience.

But right now it's Kane (I'll keep him in my wish list till it's over!), then Mac and Lubick are like 2A and 2B.

I also feel like we aren't really talking about Tim Drevno, he seems pretty solid. Jim Harbaugh disciple.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:16 am

More on Drevno - went everywhere Harbaugh went from 2003-2013, from San Diego to Standford to the Niners, then again when Harbaugh went to Michigan. With stints at USC in between and after. Also coached under Hysell from 93-97 in Bozeman.

Mostly OL and OC experience.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:19 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:16 am
More on Drevno - went everywhere Harbaugh went from 2003-2013, from San Diego to Standford to the Niners, then again when Harbaugh went to Michigan. With stints at USC in between and after. Also coached under Hysell from 93-97 in Bozeman.

Mostly OL and OC experience.
I think if he's not being talked about that we have a pretty solid pool of candidates. I could see him getting it and being totally content.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:56 am

I talked to a good friend that’s a season ticket holder at Nebraska. He said that he’d love to see Lubick go away. Was excited for him when he saw Oregon’s passing numbers but said the “mofo won’t throw the ball more than 4yds downfield”. My friend said Kurt Warner’s son is transferring out, their best WR and one of the McCaffrey kids that was there is also transferring out, all because they didn’t like Lubick. Those are his words, not mine. I can’t validate any of that but it makes a guy pause I think.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Jh876
New Recruit

Post by Jh876 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:01 pm

Lubick was not popular at UW during his time there. He wasn’t fired but was pushed out by Chris Peterson

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... departure/

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:03 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:56 am
I talked to a good friend that’s a season ticket holder at Nebraska. He said that he’d love to see Lubick go away. Was excited for him when he saw Oregon’s passing numbers but said the “mofo won’t throw the ball more than 4yds downfield”. My friend said Kurt Warner’s son is transferring out, their best WR and one of the McCaffrey kids that was there is also transferring out, all because they didn’t like Lubick. Those are his words, not mine. I can’t validate any of that but it makes a guy pause I think.
A. That sounds familiar. Haha

B. It sounds like Frost is very involved with offensive planning and in-game playcalling. I’d like to think this was more of a Frost issue than a Lubick issue, but hard to say. It would be interesting to a deep analysis of the offensive output at Nebraska, Washington, and oregon while he was OC.

C. While I’m sure Lubick will focus a lot of his energy on the offensive side of the ball, we need a HC. I’d love to retain Udy as I’ve heard nothing but good things.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:14 pm

“Matt Lubick had a lot more to do with the play-calling, particularly toward the end of the season, than I’ve had a coordinator have before,” Frost said. “It was pretty split in those last probably four games. That helped me do a lot more head coaching things, even on the sideline on Saturdays. That hasn’t been an adjustment as much as I just have someone here in Matt Lubick that I really trust and who has called this offense before.
https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/ ... 698e4.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:33 pm

1.McEndoo
1.Lubick

2.Drevno
2.Rugle

3.Cooper
3.Daly
3.Adams

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 pm

I don't want to derail this too much but it's something I've been thinking about lately and this is as good a place as any to bring it up.

I think Montana and Nebraska are similar states with similar populations, fan bases (demographics, not necessarily size) and recruiting pools. Because of that, I believe both states should be focusing their energy on a certain type of blue collar player and football philosophy. I just don't see Nebraska getting back to being a national contender without just accepting that they're not going to get those Florida, Texas, California skill kids like the other power programs are going to get. They need a Choate-type philosophy because that's the type of player they get in that region and it's the type of thing people in Nebraska value. You could make the argument that that brand of football can't compete with the highest level of the Power-5 and you might be right, but I don't think they're going to compete with the Alabama/Georgia/Texas/Florida powerhouses in terms of recruiting skill players.

I think it's something we should recognize at MSU too. Sure we can get some burners in here from Texas, but we're not likely to get a roster full of them, nor do most of us want that. I think the blue collar, tough D, run the ball, physical style fits the players of Montana, the values of Montanans, and the temperamental weather of Montana. I hope that, despite trends at the highest level of college football going a different direction, MSU will stick with this identity.

Because of this, I think MSU and Nebraska are places that can make a modern offensive guru look like an idiot. They're not getting their kind of players, and they're not going to get the results they had at their previous stop, then they look like a bust. I like Lubick if he can incorporate the type of players MSU has and recognize that football is just different in December in Montana when it really matters.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:24 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
And Nebraska is getting the griz's Toure next year too so.....

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Important to realize that it isn’t Lubick’s offense, it is Scott Frost’s offense.

Interesting information, but how does he know those kids don’t like Lubick?

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:01 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Important to realize that it isn’t Lubick’s offense, it is Scott Frost’s offense.

Like I said, I can’t validate it. I’m not Neb fan. He gets into Neb football as a season ticket holder, much like we get into BN and Bobcat football. I’m just the messenger.

Personally I look at Lubick and think that he’s bound to have a massive network of people that he knows and could build an impressive staff plus we read that his recruiting abilities are top shelf.

Just the messenger.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:10 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:01 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 pm
94VegasCat wrote:

Like I said, I can’t validate it. I’m not Neb fan. He gets into Neb football as a season ticket holder, much like we get into BN and Bobcat football. I’m just the messenger.

Personally I look at Lubick and think that he’s bound to have a massive network of people that he knows and could build an impressive staff plus we read that his recruiting abilities are top shelf.

Just the messenger.
Oh I understand. I was just curious.

I agree on his network. Very good connections.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:12 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:20 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:17 pm
Anybody but Fisher.

I gotta say that McEndoo and Ragle are my favorites so far. Good candidates all around I think.
For me

1. Lubick
2. MacEndoo
3. Michalczik
4. Drveno/Ragle

Hairy back guy

Jamie Marshall
Wait a second. Are you saying Hairy Back Guy is interested and available? Has this been confirmed?

I might have to change some of my candidate rankings.

Bozoula_Bobcat
New Recruit

Post by Bozoula_Bobcat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:35 pm

I think it is crazy that I don't see Ty Gregorak's name listed anywhere on this thread. He is the most Choate-like candidate available in my opinion and it isn't even close.

Him and Choate obviously decided to part ways in 2018, but I don't see that as a negative. I think that was the result of two very alike alpha individuals in one room.

From everything I know about Ty he would make a perfect HC:
-Very charismatic leader
-Fiery
-Cares about the kids
-I know many of his ex-players and all of them would run through a wall for him
-In Colter's article he states that current kids on the roster has asked for him to become HC
-Has a long track record of having top level Big Sky defenses
-Knows the Big Sky in and out
-Knows how Choate achieved the success he did.
-Wants to be a head coach and has put in his dues. It has never been said, but I am sure his leaving dUMb was a result of being passed up for head coach for Stitt (rough choice in my opinion)
-Knows on a deep level what The Rivalry means

Call me crazy, but he is the number 1 on my list

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:47 pm

Bozoula_Bobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:35 pm
I think it is crazy that I don't see Ty Gregorak's name listed anywhere on this thread. He is the most Choate-like candidate available in my opinion and it isn't even close.

Him and Choate obviously decided to part ways in 2018, but I don't see that as a negative. I think that was the result of two very alike alpha individuals in one room.

From everything I know about Ty he would make a perfect HC:
-Very charismatic leader
-Fiery
-Cares about the kids
-I know many of his ex-players and all of them would run through a wall for him
-In Colter's article he states that current kids on the roster has asked for him to become HC
-Has a long track record of having top level Big Sky defenses
-Knows the Big Sky in and out
-Knows how Choate achieved the success he did.
-Wants to be a head coach and has put in his dues. It has never been said, but I am sure his leaving dUMb was a result of being passed up for head coach for Stitt (rough choice in my opinion)
-Knows on a deep level what The Rivalry means

Call me crazy, but he is the number 1 on my list
I'm right there with ya. Would love to see him back on our sideline in some capacity. Not sure it's in the cards but I'd love it!

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Lucky for me I get to do filing today, so I have been watching past media interviews of all the candidates to pass the time. I have to say I am very impressed by Ragle and obviously McEndoo. They both seem like their personality and philosophy just fit at Montana State. A Gregorak DC with whoever the new head coach is has interesting appeal too.

MT44
New Recruit

Post by MT44 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:23 pm

For those of you that don't know much about Ragle, he is a tremendous motivator and can engage the boosters. He is quite similar to Choate in a lot of ways. He is a great communicator and has recruited throughout the west. He would be a fantastic choice.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:32 pm

Bocephus wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Lucky for me I get to do filing today, so I have been watching past media interviews of all the candidates to pass the time. I have to say I am very impressed by Ragle and obviously McEndoo. They both seem like their personality and philosophy just fit at Montana State. A Gregorak DC with whoever the new head coach is has interesting appeal too.
Ragle's coaching tenure compares very closely to Choate's when he applied back in 2015.

Ragle

High School Coach - 11 years
FBS Assistant Coach - 9 years (two Pac-12 schools primarily coaching special teams & a position group)
Great Recruiter

Choate (prior to MSU)

High School Coach - 7 years
FBS Assistant Coach - 13 years (five schools primarily coaching special teams & a position group)
Great Recruiter

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."