MSU’s next head coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU’s next head coach

Post by rivercat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:49 pm

Purrfection Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 pm
How about Tim Hauck. Bring Cat/Griz to a whole new level.
Now that's pretty funny. Nice.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:59 pm

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:13 am

It will be interesting to see how serious each candidate is in the job and the interviews MSU actually sets up.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:00 am

bpcats20 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:13 am
It will be interesting to see how serious each candidate is in the job and the interviews MSU actually sets up.
Our list is based almost exclusively on interest from the coach side, their agents, camps, people and connections.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU’s next ad coach

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:34 am

Geez, now Mike Riley is interested. These candidates are coming out of the woodwork! Seemingly they all want a cut in pay. They may also be wanting to take this team with so much potential to a national championship which would put a nice cherry on top of their careers to make them more pleasing to FBS AD's.

2024 Resume dominance

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:36 am

I was doing a little reading on some of these guys yesterday. Charlie Ragle was mentioned as a candidate for Arizona's head job a month ago by a beat writer, and the specific reasons were that he's a phenomenal recruiter and great with the program-building, booster relations stuff. His ties to the Arizona high school game are intriguing. In my opinion (which is worth zero but hey it's a message board) he's a pretty high-quality candidate.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:44 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:36 am
I was doing a little reading on some of these guys yesterday. Charlie Ragle was mentioned as a candidate for Arizona's head job a month ago by a beat writer, and the specific reasons were that he's a phenomenal recruiter and great with the program-building, booster relations stuff. His ties to the Arizona high school game are intriguing. In my opinion (which is worth zero but hey it's a message board) he's a pretty high-quality candidate.
I agree. If forced, where would you rank him?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:50 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:34 am
Geez, now Mike Riley is interested. These candidates are coming out of the woodwork! Seemingly they all want a cut in pay. They may also be wanting to take this team with so much potential to a national championship which would put a nice cherry on top of their careers to make them more pleasing to FBS AD's.
This is exactly the kind of coach that makes me feel super uneasy. Pushing 70, has been a major FBS and NFL/pro coach for the last three decades...how much motivation does he have to come in and put in the huge amount of work that will be required to continue building MSU's program?

That said, perhaps I just remember UM's dumpster fire of a "big-name" basketball hire (Pat Kennedy) as well as Jerry Glanville being hired to much fanfare at Portland State only to go 9-24 over three seasons, and am overreacting to that.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:51 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:50 am
Helcat72 wrote:
This is exactly the kind of coach that makes me feel super uneasy. Pushing 70, has been a major FBS and NFL/pro coach for the last three decades...how much motivation does he have to come in and put in the huge amount of work that will be required to continue building MSU's program?

That said, perhaps I just remember UM's dumpster fire of a "big-name" basketball hire (Pat Kennedy) as well as Jerry Glanville being hired to much fanfare at Portland State only to go 9-24 over three seasons, and am overreacting to that.
I agree with you - not interested in him.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:00 am

MSU01 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:

I think if we go the star power route, Lubick is the best choice. He is young and never been a head coach so probably has something to prove. With his FBS experience, if he adds successful HC to his resume he would be a top candidate for a P5 program. With the quality of candidates, some of these guys bring more to the table than Choate. That’s not a knock on Choate, but his weakness was never developing that star QB. But thanks to Choate, he left the program in such good shape, we might actually be getting an upgrade at coach.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:04 am

Bocephus wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:00 am
MSU01 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:

I think if we go the star power route, Lubick is the best choice. He is young and never been a head coach so probably has something to prove. With his FBS experience, if he adds successful HC to his resume he would be a top candidate for a P5 program. With the quality of candidates, some of these guys bring more to the table than Choate. That’s not a knock on Choate, but his weakness was never developing that star QB. But thanks to Choate, he left the program in such good shape, we might actually be getting an upgrade at coach.
Totally agree. What a difference it makes to be able to hire from a position of strength for once. Someone like Lubick or McEndoo would be phenomenal and very hard to view as taking a step backwards from what Coach Choate brought to the table.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:05 am

MSU01 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:

As a Nebraska fan PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hating the griz since 02.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:15 am

It won’t be someone like Riley. A guy with that profile is going to want to bring in all of his own coaches, which is something Leon has admitted he doesn’t want.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:17 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:44 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Maybe 1a to lubick's 1?

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:23 am

The West coast connections that Lubick and Mcendoo have should also be noted.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:47 am

Purrfection Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 pm
How about Tim Hauck. Bring Cat/Griz to a whole new level.
No ex-griz. No no no no no.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:50 am

wbtfg wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I know you’re not talking to me, but I think I’d put Lubick at the top, then Ragle, then McEndoo.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:50 am
wbtfg wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I know you’re not talking to me, but I think I’d put Lubick at the top, then Ragle, then McEndoo.
Exactly how I'd rank them, and i think maybe Noah joseph 4th. I'm not very interested in Mike Riley or Jeff Fisher; Riley's connections with Dennis Erickson make me nervous.

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat-o-nine » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:11 am

Maybe it is mentioned somewhere in this thread, but do we have any idea when interviews are scheduled?

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:50 am
wbtfg wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Exactly how I'd rank them, and i think maybe Noah joseph 4th. I'm not very interested in Mike Riley or Jeff Fisher; Riley's connections with Dennis Erickson make me nervous.
Why would Riley's connection to Erickson make you nervous? Matts connections to Dennis are alot deeper.

GO CATS!!!