Choate to interview for Boise State job

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

imacat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 pm

Ditto. Even BSU would've been a big job to coach and compete. P5 maybe as an asst next.
[/quote]

Choate has already been an assistant coach at the P5 level. That is what he was when MSU hired him. As for a P5 DC, I don’t think he would be interested. This all assumes the Cats will continue to improve on his watch.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1986
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:31 pm

cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
I was looking at twitter and guys seem really excited he's staying. I'm sure they were nervous, but it doesn't seem like he lost any credibility.


Image

Common Cat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2238
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Spokane

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by Common Cat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm

If it's really a family, the players should've been rooting for him. I know that sounds weird. I don't doubt they would be sad if he left, but they should understand.


@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by onceacat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm
If it's really a family, the players should've been rooting for him. I know that sounds weird. I don't doubt they would be sad if he left, but they should understand.
100%. Sad to lose him but proud to see him move up.



imacat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:41 pm

There is much unfinished business for this program under Choate’s leadership. Time to win a BSC crown. Time to win a NC.



bob12
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by bob12 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:19 pm

cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
No, no lost cred.



bob12
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by bob12 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm
If it's really a family, the players should've been rooting for him. I know that sounds weird. I don't doubt they would be sad if he left, but they should understand.
this



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3909
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm

cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
Of course he’s looking to move up! No coach thinks of MSU as a final destination.

Players, and recruits, know that there’s a possibility Choate is moving on soon. That’s part of being a successful lower level program.



User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4641
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:39 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm
cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
Of course he’s looking to move up! No coach thinks of MSU as a final destination.

Players, and recruits, know that there’s a possibility Choate is moving on soon. That’s part of being a successful lower level program.
I’d really love for our fans to stop thinking Bozeman is the greatest place in the world and any top talent not willing to take a huge pay cut to come here must be mentally defective or greedy. The USA is a large country and there are lots of very nice places. Just because we like it here doesn’t mean it’s anything special to someone else.


UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4641
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:40 pm

bob12 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm
If it's really a family, the players should've been rooting for him. I know that sounds weird. I don't doubt they would be sad if he left, but they should understand.
this
Yup. You should always want for someone else that which you would want for yourself.


UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8303
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by cats2506 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 pm

cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
:roll:


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

rivercat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by rivercat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm
cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
Of course he’s looking to move up! No coach thinks of MSU as a final destination.

Players, and recruits, know that there’s a possibility Choate is moving on soon. That’s part of being a successful lower level program.
Yeah, but I don't believe Choate is actively looking for a move up opportunity. BSU was unique because of his ties to the program and their lack of an AD initially pulled in Chris Peterson for recommendations. If MSU continues it's upward trajectory, Choate will no doubt start getting interest from other schools.

Selfishly, this news put me in a pretty good mood.


"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

User avatar
Montanabob
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:51 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm
cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
Of course he’s looking to move up! No coach thinks of MSU as a final destination.

Players, and recruits, know that there’s a possibility Choate is moving on soon. That’s part of being a successful lower level program.
Yeah, but I don't believe Choate is actively looking for a move up opportunity. BSU was unique because of his ties to the program and their lack of an AD initially pulled in Chris Peterson for recommendations. If MSU continues it's upward trajectory, Choate will no doubt start getting interest from other schools.

Selfishly, this news put me in a pretty good mood.
He wouldn't have had a 4-hour interview on Thursday if he wasn't interested


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hiline Cat
New Recruit
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by Hiline Cat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm

I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3641
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:27 pm

Cledus wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:40 pm
bob12 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm
If it's really a family, the players should've been rooting for him. I know that sounds weird. I don't doubt they would be sad if he left, but they should understand.
this
Yup. You should always want for someone else that which you would want for yourself.
100% agreed! I wish more people shared that view when Prukop went to Oregon.



BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3081
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:37 pm

Hiline Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm
I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.
Dude you have 5 posts on here in 4 years. All 5 negative. Are you so out of touch with college football that you don't think coaches are looking to get that dream job. Your feelers must have gotten hurt easily if you ever played a sport. Based on your post I assume you've never looked for a better job then?



User avatar
CalgaryCat
New Recruit
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:37 pm

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by CalgaryCat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:44 pm

Hiline Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm
I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.
If you think players and recruits at any successful FCS program aren’t aware that the head coach could move on at any time, I got some beach front property in Arizona to sell you



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1338
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:50 pm

bob12 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:19 pm
cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
No, no lost cred.
I agree. It’s all about how well he’d have handled the situation internally and communicating. I suspect he probably did just fine at that.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4891
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:57 pm

Hiline Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm
I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.
:lol:



MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4255
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:38 pm

Hiline Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm
I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.
Exploring a clearly better opportunity when it arises does not demonstrate a lack of loyalty, it's entirely normal and something we all do over the course of our careers. In a world in which the internet exists and we can track the BSU AD's flight minute by minute from Boise to Bozeman to Eugene and back to Boise, keeping this stuff completely quiet is simply not going to happen.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

Post Reply