Choate to interview for Boise State job

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:45 am

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:41 am
Like everyone else I'm really hoping he stays, but if the offer is made and he takes it, where would that leave MSU? As stated above, it would be an absolutely devastating loss going into this weird Spring Ball scenario. Who would be on the Costello's short list?
Great question. Because there's a real good chance that will need to be addressed soon. It's also likely that many of the current staff will go with Choate to Boise State.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Love the glowing review from GA. That's awesome to see. One positive if he goes, everyone in the the western recruiting areas will know the name Montana State.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:04 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:45 am
MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Like everyone else I'm really hoping he stays, but if the offer is made and he takes it, where would that leave MSU? As stated above, it would be an absolutely devastating loss going into this weird Spring Ball scenario. Who would be on the Costello's short list?
Great question. Because there's a real good chance that will need to be addressed soon. It's also likely that many of the current staff will go with Choate to Boise State.
Who on the staff currently do you see as being ready for FBS coaching, and possibly Power 5 coaching in a few years? Ioane maybe. Udy hasn't been a coordinator at even the FCS level yet. I don't see Army or Robertson being FBS coaches either.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:13 pm

CatBot wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:30 am
Uh oh. Among many attributes already mentioned, Choate's abilities as a fundraiser and recruiter have to be appealing.

My personal opinion is he will generate a bunch of conversation as a finalist, and then not get the job. This is a preview of what's to come for us fans though.
I agree with this. A nice pay raise for Choate 2021 would be ideal, but that is another can of worms entirely.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 pm

I think they would name BJ as interim head coach or make the process really short and hire Ioane as the next head coach. 8) :-k :shrug:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:04 pm
iaafan wrote:
MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Who on the staff currently do you see as being ready for FBS coaching, and possibly Power 5 coaching in a few years? Ioane maybe. Udy hasn't been a coordinator at even the FCS level yet. I don't see Army or Robertson being FBS coaches either.
I think we have quite a few guys who are ready, but it would depend on choates vision for the staff. I’d imagine he’d take hout and Potter for sure as they are alums. Beyond that it’s hard to say.

That’s why I’m on board with Kane getting an opportunity. I think he’d be able to retain much of the current staff and continuity/culture. Additionally, I’d love to bring back a guy like Clay Bignell as a positional coach. Maybe save Roger Cooper from ISU....

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:21 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:57 am
I agree with everyone in that I hope, for MSU football, he doesn't go. I have no big complaints if he does, you can't blame him, and I think we'd be in great shape with Kane Ioane as the head coach. I don't think his son is a factor in the decision as he's capable of playing at Boise State or playing at MSU without his dad on the sidelines.

Just remember this when a player decides to jump to another school and a coach (or a fan) starts whining about it. Coaches do the same thing.

I think his biggest accomplishments are 1) building a strong program; 2) making the semi-finals; 3) beating UM all four times. His best game was defeating then #3 UM 48-14 without Troy Andersen.

I don't think he has a great track record. Take away the four Griz wins and he's just 24-22 overall. His highest BSC finish is a tie for 3rd last year. 4th, 6th and 9th prior to that.

Once the people evaluating him get past the bluster of his former players and interviewing ability, and the dust settles, they'll be left with his on-field performance. It's good, but not great. They'll also need to look at the success, or lack thereof, of FCS coaches that have gotten FBS jobs.
Doesn’t have a great track record? On field performance is just good?

Do you recall how bad we were in his first year? How bad the talent was? How little depth there was?

We have never had a HC as good as Choate. Never. I’m dead serious too. The progress that he has made on the field, and off, has been huge for us. I could give a rip what his record is. Larry Coker at Miami had a phenomenal record. Crappy HC. Quite a few other examples like that.

So how has Choate been as a HC? Well, where are we compared to when he first got here? We are far better in all phases. He’s definitely been a great HC here.

Finally, why take his record and take out the Griz games? Lol. “Take out all his wins and he’s lost all his games!” Well buddy, if my Aunt had nuts, she’d be my uncle.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:22 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
iaafan wrote:
MTCowpoke22 wrote:
I think we have quite a few guys who are ready, but it would depend on choates vision for the staff. I’d imagine he’d take hout and Potter for sure as they are alums. Beyond that it’s hard to say.

That’s why I’m on board with Kane getting an opportunity. I think he’d be able to retain much of the current staff and continuity/culture. Additionally, I’d love to bring back a guy like Clay Bignell as a positional coach. Maybe save Roger Cooper from ISU....
I like Kane, but I would do a national search if Choate leaves. This is a premier FCS job. Don’t settle.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:18 am
Pah! Hasn’t he seen that Choate’s record at MSU isn’t that impressive?

What would this guy know anyways.

FWIW, Alexander is a phenom coach. Another good attribute of Choate is that he does a good job of hiring coaches.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:27 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:41 am
I think boise would be silly not to hire him. The guy is a star.
But his record isn’t that good even though he took over a mediocre team on the downfall!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:38 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:22 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
iaafan wrote:
MTCowpoke22 wrote:

I like Kane, but I would do a national search if Choate leaves. This is a premier FCS job. Don’t settle.
I don’t necessarily disagree with that. And would totally be on board if Choate took all/most of the current staff with him.

I’d just really love to retain guys who have had a big part in building this thing and can keep the train going.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:06 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:21 pm
iaafan wrote:
I agree with everyone in that I hope, for MSU football, he doesn't go. I have no big complaints if he does, you can't blame him, and I think we'd be in great shape with Kane Ioane as the head coach. I don't think his son is a factor in the decision as he's capable of playing at Boise State or playing at MSU without his dad on the sidelines.

Just remember this when a player decides to jump to another school and a coach (or a fan) starts whining about it. Coaches do the same thing.

I think his biggest accomplishments are 1) building a strong program; 2) making the semi-finals; 3) beating UM all four times. His best game was defeating then #3 UM 48-14 without Troy Andersen.

I don't think he has a great track record. Take away the four Griz wins and he's just 24-22 overall. His highest BSC finish is a tie for 3rd last year. 4th, 6th and 9th prior to that.

Once the people evaluating him get past the bluster of his former players and interviewing ability, and the dust settles, they'll be left with his on-field performance. It's good, but not great. They'll also need to look at the success, or lack thereof, of FCS coaches that have gotten FBS jobs.

Do you recall how bad we were in his first year? How bad the talent was? How little depth there was?

We have never had a HC as good as Choate. Never. I’m dead serious too. The progress that he has made on the field, and off, has been huge for us. I could give a rip what his record is. Larry Coker at Miami had a phenomenal record. Crappy HC. Quite a few other examples like that.

So how has Choate been as a HC? Well, where are we compared to when he first got here? We are far better in all phases. He’s definitely been a great HC here.

Finally, why take his record and take out the Griz games? Lol. “Take out all his wins and he’s lost all his games!” Well buddy, if my Aunt had nuts, she’d be my uncle.
So if we lose coach Choate do we need to add another statue outside the stadium to keep Sonny in his place? :lol:

When we lose Choate in a couple of seasons from now we may have to put up another statue...I will give you that.

FTG

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:51 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

So if we lose coach Choate do we need to add another statue outside the stadium to keep Sonny in his place? :lol:

When we lose Choate in a couple of seasons from now we may have to put up another statue...I will give you that.
Holland has the better legacy. And I’ll defer to the elderly if they want to say Holland was better. So how’s about this? Choate is the best coach we’ve had in recent history, by a lot.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:53 pm

I would hire within the Choate “tree” if he leaves. Honestly I wouldn’t mind giving Hout the reigns. I think keeping the culture is top priority.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:19 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Response is spot on.

ChrisBSPN
New Recruit

Post by ChrisBSPN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:23 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:58 pm
If his son graduated college this spring, maybe. I don't think he is done here. He still has at least two more years here, if not 5 more. And he wants a nati.
Say no to this....

That guy is an idiot... # ChoateMentum

JK. But boots on the ground here in Boise. You all will be happy to hear, choates name has cooled off. Somehow Dirk Koetter and Jim Mora have snuck in to the 3 & 4 spot behind Kellen Moore & Andy Avalos

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:29 pm

ChrisBSPN wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:23 pm
Montanabob wrote:
If his son graduated college this spring, maybe. I don't think he is done here. He still has at least two more years here, if not 5 more. And he wants a nati.
Say no to this....

JK. But boots on the ground here in Boise. You all will be happy to hear, choates name has cooled off. Somehow Dirk Koetter and Jim Mora have snuck in to the 3 & 4 spot behind Kellen Moore & Andy Avalos
For Choate to be mentioned in the same company is pretty remarkable. Choate is in a can’t lose situation right now. His name is in consideration for a coaching gig at a team regularly in the Top 25. If he doesn’t get the spot, the publicity is huge. And he knows the Cats 2021 team has the makings of something special.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:29 pm
ChrisBSPN wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:23 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Say no to this....

For Choate to be mentioned in the same company is pretty remarkable. Choate is in a can’t lose situation right now. His name is in consideration for a coaching gig at a team regularly in the Top 25. If he doesn’t get the spot, the publicity is huge. And he knows the Cats 2021 team has the makings of something special.
Yeah, regardless of the outcome, Montana State is going to be even more well known and that's fantastic.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:54 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Holland has the better legacy. And I’ll defer to the elderly if they want to say Holland was better. So how’s about this? Choate is the best coach we’ve had in recent history, by a lot.
I agree that Choate is the best in recent history, but without the hyperbole.

Cliff Hysell got the program moving again after it was in a real serious, disastrous hole. Unfortunately he got sick and things slipped back. Kramer, too, had to dig the team out of a huge hole. They went from 0-11 to the playoffs in his third year. Won three league titles in four years. Ash had to bring things back from oblivion, too. He had an APR mess, a team with a huge off field problem, but he won three straight league titles. The program was not in same kind of trouble for him as it was those three.

So keep Choate's four wins vs. the Griz. That makes him 28-22. Throw out the first two years and he's 19-9. Granted there's probably a FBS loss in there, I don't recall. These aren't great records. No titles other than State Champs, which is pretty freaking awesome I must say. Best league finish is third. But these Griz teams aren't the Griz teams that Hysell, Kramer and Ash had to face. Choate is hot right now and this opening came up at the right time for him, but I don't see BSU taking him based on those marks. That's suicide for everyone on the selection committee, if he doesn't work out. If you take almost anyone else on the list, you can at least point to their record coming in. You can't do that with Choate. It's like bringing in a relief pitcher. Big lefty slugger coming up to face your righty, you don't go to the bullpen and bring in another righty, you get the lefty. Bring the righty and lose you get ripped. Bring the lefty in and you went by the book and are let off the hook.

This isn't me saying Choate isn't the best coach of the bunch. I have no idea on that. I'm just thinking as someone on the committee, especially the AD. They look at this stuff and think of what happens down the road.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:11 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I was just a kid when Sonny Holland retired, it wasn't until I was older that I understood his legacy, Butte native, All American player, national champion as player and coach...on and on. That is why he has a statue among other highly regarded accolades. I 100% agree that Coach Choate is the best we have had since then, by a lot. I also know his days, (and hopefully year or two) at MSU are numbered. He would certainly take the Boise job if offered, I just believe that it is a moderate long shot right now.

FTG