Choate to interview for Boise State job

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:35 pm

vike_king wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 pm
Wait, What?

Bobby isn't on the list?
On a somewhat related note, Robby Hauck was just given credit for another tackle.

GO CATS GO!!!

Bozeman42
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bozeman42 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:45 pm

While I hate to admit it, he is a serious contender.

But that said, I think he’s smart enough to stick around a bit longer (even though the Boise connection and $$ could be tempting). We’ve all watched great FCS coaches go FBS and struggle. I think it would be in his best interest to further develop his W/L record, win a few big sky conferences, play in a NC, and clean up some game issues the Cats have. I’d say at that point he could write his own ticket and be successful.

But maybe I’m just in denial.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:41 am

vike_king wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 pm
Wait, What?

Bobby isn't on the list?
According to sources who spoke only on the condition of anonymity, he was quietly offered the position in secrecy but turned it down because “muh Grizzlies”

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:08 am

One additional wrinkle. There is no AD currently at Boise State. They are doing a national search and intend to name someone by March 1st. An open job but you don't know who the new boss is.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:23 am

I’ve been wondering what it would take to get Choate to take another job and always figured Boise would be at the top of his ideal job list.

I wonder if not playing this year impacts his decision. Seeing other teams get the chance to play and not being able to probably didn’t sit well with a lot of FCS coaches this year

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:32 am

You can't predict when these opportunities will open up, so you gotta go for it when available. I really want Choate to stay, but if/when he does leave, I'll give him a tip of the hat and thank him for all he's accomplished at MSU.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:43 am

Man this is tough...you'd think Avalos is the lead horse, given his more recent tenure at Boise and current P5 DC, but he hasn't been a head coach.

Choate has been so good at marketing the "406 experience" and I think that's helping turn the MSU program into what it is now. Getting the right kids to buy into what their life is going to be and having them fully embrace it. Ironically, he compared Boise to Bozeman having that same environment, on that signing day interview... I think the pros for him taking the job, if it were to be offered, definitely outweigh the cons. Maybe the wife will put the foot down, ignore the 3-4x pay raise and ask to stay and let the kids graduate where they are! Oh...and Boise fans want to see the ball thrown around and Choate likes to run. TERRIBLE FIT!

Kellen Moore is also being thrown around but I can't see him being taken seriously. He's only coached for a couple years, BUT the Cowboys haven't extended his contract past the current season, so there's that.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:57 am

I agree with everyone in that I hope, for MSU football, he doesn't go. I have no big complaints if he does, you can't blame him, and I think we'd be in great shape with Kane Ioane as the head coach. I don't think his son is a factor in the decision as he's capable of playing at Boise State or playing at MSU without his dad on the sidelines.

Just remember this when a player decides to jump to another school and a coach (or a fan) starts whining about it. Coaches do the same thing.

I think his biggest accomplishments are 1) building a strong program; 2) making the semi-finals; 3) beating UM all four times. His best game was defeating then #3 UM 48-14 without Troy Andersen.

I don't think he has a great track record. Take away the four Griz wins and he's just 24-22 overall. His highest BSC finish is a tie for 3rd last year. 4th, 6th and 9th prior to that.

Once the people evaluating him get past the bluster of his former players and interviewing ability, and the dust settles, they'll be left with his on-field performance. It's good, but not great. They'll also need to look at the success, or lack thereof, of FCS coaches that have gotten FBS jobs.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 am

The one thing that really has me stumped is that this is probably either the worst or best possible time to leave a program. With all the Covid turmoil it may a good time to restart a program, but then again that might be the last thing the players need. Hard to say.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:18 am

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:43 am
Maybe the wife will put the foot down, ignore the 3-4x pay raise and ask to stay and let the kids graduate where they are! Oh...and Boise fans want to see the ball thrown around and Choate likes to run. TERRIBLE FIT!
iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:57 am
I think his biggest accomplishments are 1) building a strong program; 2) making the semi-finals; 3) beating UM all four times. His best game was defeating then #3 UM 48-14 without Troy Andersen.

I don't think he has a great track record. Take away the four Griz wins and he's just 24-22 overall. His highest BSC finish is a tie for 3rd last year. 4th, 6th and 9th prior to that.

Once the people evaluating him get past the bluster of his former players and interviewing ability, and the dust settles, they'll be left with his on-field performance. It's good, but not great. They'll also need to look at the success, or lack thereof, of FCS coaches that have gotten FBS jobs.
This wouldn't be the first time he's been offered a job that required him to move and it's probably somewhere the whole family would like to live so I doubt his wife would put her foot down. As far as fit goes that might be the biggest thing against Choate. Outside of a few schools where linemen grow on trees, a run first (and second and third) offense just won't cut it at the FBS level.

We all love Choate and the direction the program is in but Boise will definitely look at the stats and realize that as exciting as the last couple years have been inside of Montana, if you step back they haven't been that great. We've been blown out by NDSU each of the last two years. Once Choate can win a big game like that he'll have plenty of offers but I don't think he's done enough for the BSU job yet.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:23 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:18 am
ND0479 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:43 am
Maybe the wife will put the foot down, ignore the 3-4x pay raise and ask to stay and let the kids graduate where they are! Oh...and Boise fans want to see the ball thrown around and Choate likes to run. TERRIBLE FIT!
iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:57 am

This wouldn't be the first time he's been offered a job that required him to move and it's probably somewhere the whole family would like to live so I doubt his wife would put her foot down. As far as fit goes that might be the biggest thing against Choate. Outside of a few schools where linemen grow on trees, a run first (and second and third) offense just won't cut it at the FBS level.

We all love Choate and the direction the program is in but Boise will definitely look at the stats and realize that as exciting as the last couple years have been inside of Montana, if you step back they haven't been that great. We've been blown out by NDSU each of the last two years. Once Choate can win a big game like that he'll have plenty of offers but I don't think he's done enough for the BSU job yet.
Agree.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:30 am

Uh oh. Among many attributes already mentioned, Choate's abilities as a fundraiser and recruiter have to be appealing.

My personal opinion is he will generate a bunch of conversation as a finalist, and then not get the job. This is a preview of what's to come for us fans though.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:41 am

I think boise would be silly not to hire him. The guy is a star.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:53 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:57 pm
So, as some of you know, in very rare circumstances I have what they call “sources”. This, is one of those rare circumstances.

With the caveat that college football is crazy, and things change faster than Usain Bolt, here’s what I know.

Andy Avalos, DC of the Oregon Ducks, is the leading candidate. If he declines the job, we as Bobcat fans should be very nervous. Very nervous.

This concludes my time as an insider. Merry Christmas ya bastards!
Avalos is the clear leading candidate. It will be very interesting to see who else besides Choate is going to get an interview. One outside factor to consider is as of right now all 10 FBS newly hired coaches are all white men. You can argue that this will play a role in the decision for Boise, how much is uncertain, but it will garner some national attention which is why Avalos will be tough to turn away.
How badly does Avalos want the job? We will all get a much clearer insight to this in the coming days and weeks. Until then try not to let the fear and loathing creep into our holiday season.
I will remain optimistic that coach Choate will remain at MSU for another season or 2.
Merry Christmas Bobcat fans! Stay positive!

=D^

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:29 am

I think Choate has proven without a shadow of a doubt that he took this program to the next step in terms of culture and quality product on the field. Last season was awesome, and we are getting better and better. As for not being able to get past NDSU, nobody can... and they have significant advantages over all other schools but Choate has been working to change that. I think he'd be able to coach Boise State to a National Championship contender within a few years. That said, I really hope he stays at MSU and sees it through to winning the chipper.

If he does leave... I've heard Ioane mentioned as a replacement. Not a knock on Ioane whatsoever but he would be a significant step back from Choate as head coach. Same with TG.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:41 am

Like everyone else I'm really hoping he stays, but if the offer is made and he takes it, where would that leave MSU? As stated above, it would be an absolutely devastating loss going into this weird Spring Ball scenario. Who would be on the Costello's short list?

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:43 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:29 am
I think Choate has proven without a shadow of a doubt that he took this program to the next step in terms of culture and quality product on the field. Last season was awesome, and we are getting better and better. As for not being able to get past NDSU, nobody can... and they have significant advantages over all other schools but Choate has been working to change that. I think he'd be able to coach Boise State to a National Championship contender within a few years. That said, I really hope he stays at MSU and sees it through to winning the chipper.

If he does leave... I've heard Ioane mentioned as a replacement. Not a knock on Ioane whatsoever but he would be a significant step back from Choate as head coach. Same with TG.
Choate is a rising star and a finalist for a job that pays over a million bucks a year. I think any replacement would be a step back.

That said, I’d totally support kane. I think we have a good thing going in terms of culture and trajectory and I have confidence he could keep it going.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:11 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:18 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:23 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:11 am
Good news on all fronts. First in the door is a very positive sign, for Andy Avalos and Bobcat football fans.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG