Choate to interview for Boise State job

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 pm

Players seem really upset...

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:43 pm

I find it strange that the SDSU coach has not changed jobs and has been there for 23 years. Next to NDSU SDSU is probably the second or third best program in the country. In the last ten years 2 NDSU coaches have moved up to FBS but the SDSU coach has not.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:54 pm

gtapp wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:43 pm
I find it strange that the SDSU coach has not changed jobs and has been there for 23 years. Next to NDSU SDSU is probably the second or third best program in the country. In the last ten years 2 NDSU coaches have moved up to FBS but the SDSU coach has not.
There's also something to be said for finding your niche in the world, really loving where you're at and being good at it - all at the same time!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:59 pm

gtapp wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:43 pm
They are #8 in W-L. 83-45 Cats are #13. 78-46.

Tough to say...maybe he really likes Brookings. Maybe he likes FCS.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:51 pm
rivercat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm
cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
Of course he’s looking to move up! No coach thinks of MSU as a final destination.

Players, and recruits, know that there’s a possibility Choate is moving on soon. That’s part of being a successful lower level program.
Yeah, but I don't believe Choate is actively looking for a move up opportunity. BSU was unique because of his ties to the program and their lack of an AD initially pulled in Chris Peterson for recommendations. If MSU continues it's upward trajectory, Choate will no doubt start getting interest from other schools.

Selfishly, this news put me in a pretty good mood.
He wouldn't have had a 4-hour interview on Thursday if he wasn't interested
Read carefully before you argue. I said I don't believe Choate is actively looking for a move up opportunity. I said BSU was unique and came looking for him. Of course he was interested and would have accepted had it been offered.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:12 am

rivercat wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 am
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:51 pm
rivercat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
cat95inmissoula wrote:
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
Of course he’s looking to move up! No coach thinks of MSU as a final destination.

Players, and recruits, know that there’s a possibility Choate is moving on soon. That’s part of being a successful lower level program.
Yeah, but I don't believe Choate is actively looking for a move up opportunity. BSU was unique because of his ties to the program and their lack of an AD initially pulled in Chris Peterson for recommendations. If MSU continues it's upward trajectory, Choate will no doubt start getting interest from other schools.

Selfishly, this news put me in a pretty good mood.
He wouldn't have had a 4-hour interview on Thursday if he wasn't interested
Read carefully before you argue. I said I don't believe Choate is actively looking for a move up opportunity. I said BSU was unique and came looking for him. Of course he was interested and would have accepted had it been offered.
:lol: yeah, that response caused me to go back and re-read what you'd posted to make sure I hadn't misread something.

I hadn't. :mrgreen:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:18 am

Cledus wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:39 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
cat95inmissoula wrote:

I’d really love for our fans to stop thinking Bozeman is the greatest place in the world and any top talent not willing to take a huge pay cut to come here must be mentally defective or greedy. The USA is a large country and there are lots of very nice places. Just because we like it here doesn’t mean it’s anything special to someone else.
As Gtapp mentioned, the SDSU coach has been coach for 23 years. Given their success, I am sure he had many opportunities to explore. Someone might be not only be content being the head coach at MSU, but might also consider MSU their dream job. I could easily see Kane Ioane retiring as the MSU head coach 20 years from now. Making $300,000+ and living in Montana where you are already a living legend and having family nearby sounds like a pretty good gig.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:42 am

Some possible reasons Stieglemeyer hasn’t left SDSU:

Stiegelmeyer didn’t finish above fourth place in his conference until his eighth season as head coach at SDSU. He didn’t make the playoffs until his 13th season. He got a DUI in 2018. He’s had a great stretch the past eight years, but he’s now 63. It could be that he’s still at SDSU by default.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:27 am

I'm disappointed for Coach Choate, but ecstatic that he's staying. I doubt he was looking to leave, but I think the BSU or Washington HC positions are his dream jobs. When you have an opportunity for those, you go after them, even if the timing isn't right.

Choate is heading for bigger things in time. In the interim, he has some unfinished business at MSU....let's recommit to supporting him, his staff and these amazing student athletes!

CalgaryCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CalgaryCat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:40 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:27 am
I'm disappointed for Coach Choate, but ecstatic that he's staying. I doubt he was looking to leave, but I think the BSU or Washington HC positions are his dream jobs. When you have an opportunity for those, you go after them, even if the timing isn't right.

Choate is heading for bigger things in time. In the interim, he has some unfinished business at MSU....let's recommit to supporting him, his staff and these amazing student athletes!
No need to REcommit, I don’t blame the man one bit for interviewing at BSU. Players are behind him and that’s the most important thing

Hiline Cat
New Recruit

Post by Hiline Cat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:37 pm
Hiline Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm
I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.
Dude you have 5 posts on here in 4 years. All 5 negative. Are you so out of touch with college football that you don't think coaches are looking to get that dream job. Your feelers must have gotten hurt easily if you ever played a sport. Based on your post I assume you've never looked for a better job then?
Didn't realize there was a required number of posts to prove a persons knowledge of college football. Are you an asshole, idiot or both? Wow, I'm up to 6 posts.

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:20 am

Hiline Cat wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Hiline Cat wrote:
I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.
Dude you have 5 posts on here in 4 years. All 5 negative. Are you so out of touch with college football that you don't think coaches are looking to get that dream job. Your feelers must have gotten hurt easily if you ever played a sport. Based on your post I assume you've never looked for a better job then?
Didn't realize there was a required number of posts to prove a persons knowledge of college football. Are you an asshole, idiot or both? Wow, I'm up to 6 posts.
Now it’s, all 6 negative.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:20 am
Hiline Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Hiline Cat wrote:
A good employer is always looking for ways to help their employees grow and develop. That includes helping them find a new job if they outgrow their current position.

Its a GIANT red flag if an employer doesn't want an employee to grow.

I think its pretty obvious that the entire culture in MSU in both academics and athletics is focused on growth. I can 100% tell you that if a great professor gets poached by Harvard, the entire community is celebrating.

If there are football recruits that don't come here because Choate was interviewing at a Top 25 program, its a pretty good bet that that particular recruit was a bad fit for the culture Choate is trying to nurture.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:14 am

onceacat wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:20 am
Hiline Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Hiline Cat wrote:
A good employer is always looking for ways to help their employees grow and develop. That includes helping them find a new job if they outgrow their current position.

Its a GIANT red flag if an employer doesn't want an employee to grow.

I think its pretty obvious that the entire culture in MSU in both academics and athletics is focused on growth. I can 100% tell you that if a great professor gets poached by Harvard, the entire community is celebrating.

If there are football recruits that don't come here because Choate was interviewing at a Top 25 program, its a pretty good bet that that particular recruit was a bad fit for the culture Choate is trying to nurture.
Great post.

It'd be one thing if a coach was actively trying to leave a program. Even at the FBS level, there are some coaches that simply seem to move on frequently. I'm sure "some" recruits take that in consideration. This is not one of those instances. Choate had an excellent opportunity, and frankly I would have had questions about him if he DIDN'T pursue it!

I'm friends with several members of the current staff and was just with four of them have cocktails the other night. And while I'm sure they didn't love the "unknown" factor of their own job security, not a single one of them had any ill-will towards Choate for interviewing for the Boise job. Just the opposite.

The culture is there. We need to continue building on that. If we do, when Choate does move on to bigger and better things, we'll be set up for success.

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:39 am

Cledus wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:39 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
cat95inmissoula wrote:

I’d really love for our fans to stop thinking Bozeman is the greatest place in the world and any top talent not willing to take a huge pay cut to come here must be mentally defective or greedy. The USA is a large country and there are lots of very nice places. Just because we like it here doesn’t mean it’s anything special to someone else.
I agree completely. I lived in the Gallatin Valley for over 20 years and loved it there. I’ve lived in north Idaho for over 15 years and love it here as well (especially the milder winters.) There are a lot great places to live in this country.I have spent some time in Boise could think It could be one of those places although it’s getting too much of a big city feel for my personal tastes.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:28 pm

Anyone who wouldn't take a million dollar a year pay raise, to go back to a good place you already worked. Would be a damn fool. It's not like he was going to UNLV.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:34 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:28 pm
Anyone who wouldn't take a million dollar a year pay raise, to go back to a good place you already worked. Would be a damn fool. It's not like he was going to UNLV.
I see what you did there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:34 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:44 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:31 pm
I think we may have dodged a bullet. Hope this Larson fellow is legit!...... [-o<
We haven't dodged a bullet yet. there is still a defensive coordinator position out there at Boise State
Avalos will be the primary DC. Choate would go from running his own program to Avalos calling defensive plays and Choate helping with the game plan.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:37 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:34 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:44 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:31 pm
I think we may have dodged a bullet. Hope this Larson fellow is legit!...... [-o<
We haven't dodged a bullet yet. there is still a defensive coordinator position out there at Boise State
Avalos will be the primary DC. Choate would go from running his own program to Avalos calling defensive plays and Choate helping with the game plan.
I'm wondering if Choate is wondering about a new DC position at Oregon that recently opened up...

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 pm

I’ve been to almost all 50 states and 40 foreign countries. I’ve lived in 9 states and the District of Columbia. Stateside, only Texas, Alabama, and South Carolina are on my “never live in again no matter what you pay me” list. :)

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter