SUU to the WAC?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: SUU to the WAC?

Post by ND0479 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:42 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:38 pm
Another article on the Texas schools and the probable move:

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2 ... view_title

What would be the benefit of the Texas schools leaving the Southland?
Rumors are they are unhappy with the southland and decisions that have been made to bring in D2 schools. And that they may lose some schools to ACC and to d2.
But they'd be joining the conference that just had two D2 jump ups, one of those being Tarleton from Texas. I just don't understand the move for those programs.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:44 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:24 pm
Montanabob wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Rumors are they are unhappy with the southland and decisions that have been made to bring in D2 schools. And that they may lose some schools to ACC and to d2.
But they'd be joining the conference that just had two D2 jump ups, one of those being Tarleton from Texas. I just don't understand the move for those programs.
Not to mention that two of the schools moving with them (ACU and Lamar) were two of those recent jump ups from D2. That's just as confusing, to me...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:59 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:44 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Not to mention that two of the schools moving with them (ACU and Lamar) were two of those recent jump ups from D2. That's just as confusing, to me...
I am still waiting for the weber announcement that they are moving to the WAC. From the UND discussion a few years ago, BSC assisted them in getting into MVFC and Summit with no exit fees. There is no monetary penalty for leaving the Big Sky, UND said.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:29 pm

BlueNGoldTilIDie wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:09 am
I think they may be referring to Dixie state and Suu. But they are still 52 miles apart so not exactly close. And Saint George has a population of 90k and Cedar city has about 35k. Washington county that Saint George is in has 180k people so again not the same size wise. I like Bobcat4ever am confused at what 2 fcs teams are you referring to?
I was thinking they were both in St George (which is slightly larger than Missoula...) but yes, St George is 50 miles up I 90.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:35 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:29 pm
BlueNGoldTilIDie wrote:
I think they may be referring to Dixie state and Suu. But they are still 52 miles apart so not exactly close. And Saint George has a population of 90k and Cedar city has about 35k. Washington county that Saint George is in has 180k people so again not the same size wise. I like Bobcat4ever am confused at what 2 fcs teams are you referring to?
I was thinking they were both in St George (which is slightly larger than Missoula.., and Washington County is listed at 138k, barely larger than Gallatin or Missoula a County.) but yes, St George is 50 miles up I 90.

Which is almost the exact same distance as between the U and BYU. Which I’ve always considered the same place (see J Doubs comments above)

BlueNGoldTilIDie
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlueNGoldTilIDie » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:50 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:35 pm
onceacat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:29 pm
BlueNGoldTilIDie wrote:
I was thinking they were both in St George (which is slightly larger than Missoula.., and Washington County is listed at 138k, barely larger than Gallatin or Missoula a County.) but yes, St George is 50 miles up I 90.

Which is almost the exact same distance as between the U and BYU. Which I’ve always considered the same place (see J Doubs comments above)
I understand what you’re saying but the difference between Utah and Byu is an hour drive. It’s all city so that would make sense why it would feel like the same place. Cedar and Saint George is not all city. If you have ever driven it you would know you have to go over a prettt gnarly mountain pass. The best way I can put it would be like saying Dillon and Butte are the same place. About the same distance wise. And anyone in Montana would tell you they are not the same. I get what you are getting at though.

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:41 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:59 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

I am still waiting for the weber announcement that they are moving to the WAC. From the UND discussion a few years ago, BSC assisted them in getting into MVFC and Summit with no exit fees. There is no monetary penalty for leaving the Big Sky, UND said.

Rumor is the WAC is actually courting Weber. Several current members and future members have supposedly reached out to Weber.

But no way does Weber leave their traditional rivals and their history for SUU and Dixie. Big Sky is stronger football wise and basketball between the two is a wash. Besides Weber can always schedule ooc games with SUU, UVU and Dixie. Weber is where they should be.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:48 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:41 am
Rumor is the WAC is actually courting Weber. Several current members and future members have supposedly reached out to Weber.

But no way does Weber leave their traditional rivals and their history for SUU and Dixie. Big Sky is stronger football wise and basketball between the two is a wash. Besides Weber can always schedule ooc games with SUU, UVU and Dixie. Weber is where they should be.
I agree. I like having Weber in the conference and feel you guys are a good fit. I personally don't give a crap about SUU or Dixie, or any of these other up and comers.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:41 am
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:59 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

I don't think Weber would leave BS either. I think it would be a knock to their recruiting, albeit a small one. Not a great selling point telling competitive kids that you'll get to play Dixie State, etc.. Also take beautiful away trips to Abilene, Stephenville, Huntsville, and Beaumont TX...

Not a lot of upside in the WAC.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:15 pm

Weber may leave for basketball. NAU could be another option as it would decrease their travel significantly. UNC is a nope.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:11 pm

This article along with Weber, pulls Boise State into his meanderings because they aren't happy with the Mountain West. To try to make an argument that Boise has any consideration into what happens in the WAC or BSC is laughable. The only way Weber and Boise would have anything related to each other is if Boise moved to a power 5 and the MWC went hunting for a replacement. Weber isn't going anywhere, much less a newly (re)formed lesser conference.

Furthermore he says that Weber would be enticed to the WAC to stay with its rivals. This is kinda like Michigan State. SUU might see Weber as its rival but to Weber, its rivals reside north of them.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

utcatfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by utcatfan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:03 pm

Have to remember the same logic could be applied in reverse, Weber could join the WAC and still play Idaho State and any other Big Sky schools every year in non conference play. The biggest selling point would be travel as the Conference would become Utah and Texas focused with (eventually) 3 in state opponents:

WAC:
Weber, SUU, DSU, Tarleton State, SFA, SHSU, Lamar, Abilene Christian, *UVU

That's 8 teams for Football and a pretty solid FCS Conference. Utah Valley would be a 9th team (its only a matter of when they add football not if) with potential room for expansion in the form of other Big Sky schools. I do see this as being highly unlikely however.

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:24 am

So the only real question is who will be that 8th member? The Texas Schools have said they will only move if the conf can get 6 playoff eligible schools in it. So 1 of three things is gonna happen. Either 1 more BSC school will leave, UVU will be pressured into creating football (though I dont know if they would also have to wait so many years to be playoff eligible or not) or another Soutland School will leave like Incarnate Word. Regardless every current and or possible football member aside from Dixie is over 1000 miles from Cedar City. Dont see how they save money on travel in the Wac football wise.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:31 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:24 am
So the only real question is who will be that 8th member? The Texas Schools have said they will only move if the conf can get 6 playoff eligible schools in it. So 1 of three things is gonna happen. Either 1 more BSC school will leave, UVU will be pressured into creating football (though I dont know if they would also have to wait so many years to be playoff eligible or not) or another Soutland School will leave like Incarnate Word. Regardless every current and or possible football member aside from Dixie is over 1000 miles from Cedar City. Dont see how they save money on travel in the Wac football wise.
One of the reasons cited for the departure from their conference was the inclusion of incarnate word in FCS football. So it won't be them. I still say NAU and Weber both go.

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:31 am
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
One of the reasons cited for the departure from their conference was the inclusion of incarnate word in FCS football. So it won't be them. I still say NAU and Weber both go.

I just dont see what Weber would gain in a move to the WAC aside from 3 instate trips inside Utah a year for basketball. While the WAC would be an up and coming football conference. The Big Sky is already an established FCS power conference. Basketball would be a wash.

There really isnt anything appealing at least to me for Weber to make the move. Weber really has no history with any of the teams from the WAC but apparently thats not what its about anymore.

Honestly if anyone makes the move i hope its Northern Colorado. No offense Bears fans

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:23 pm

I have wondered why Northen Colorado would not want to go to the WAC, they would be in the middle of the rumored teams and I feel their athletic program size would actually fit well in that conference

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:06 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
A couple articles I have read have stated the WAC will apply for a waiver for both Dixie and Tarleton to be eligible for postseason play immediately in order to get the schools they want to join the conference.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:52 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:23 pm
I have wondered why Northen Colorado would not want to go to the WAC, they would be in the middle of the rumored teams and I feel their athletic program size would actually fit well in that conference
I wonder why you think they'd be a good fit for the WAC? A team with poor record in football and no real can base. They just took their baseball out of the WAC. Do you think they would do that if they were thinking of joinythe WAC?

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:52 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:23 pm
I wonder why you think they'd be a good fit for the WAC? A team with poor record in football and no real can base. They just took their baseball out of the WAC. Do you think they would do that if they were thinking of joinythe WAC?
I don’t follow baseball and was not aware of that. I was basing my thoughts on location and the size of the facilities

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:36 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter