Montana Recruits 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2022

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:36 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:14 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:48 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:15 am
We need a transfer because we run the ball a lot, and Mellott and Ifanse can’t carry that entire load by themselves. Maybe Ifanse is hurt, maybe he isn’t, but either way, they need another back.
We didn’t exactly use the “stable” of running backs we had last year. I wasn’t impressed with how heavily we leaned on Ifanse.
So at Wyoming Vigen had no problem using multiple backs. He has typically not relied on only one back. This would indicate the coaching staff didn’t think the “stable” of backs was very impressive.
Elliot and Hosey were freshman. Sumner was injured in the first game. The other two backs in Renning and Coon were also freshman. Maybe we should let the backs mature physically and learn the system before writing them off.

And if I am remembering correctly, we only signed 1 RB this year. Doesn’t seem like the coaches are treating it like an area of great need.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:36 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
We need a transfer because we run the ball a lot, and Mellott and Ifanse can’t carry that entire load by themselves. Maybe Ifanse is hurt, maybe he isn’t, but either way, they need another back.
We didn’t exactly use the “stable” of running backs we had last year. I wasn’t impressed with how heavily we leaned on Ifanse.
So at Wyoming Vigen had no problem using multiple backs. He has typically not relied on only one back. This would indicate the coaching staff didn’t think the “stable” of backs was very impressive.
Elliot and Hosey were freshman. Sumner was injured in the first game. The other two backs in Renning and Coon were also freshman. Maybe we should let the backs mature physically and learn the system before writing them off.

And if I am remembering correctly, we only signed 1 RB this year. Doesn’t seem like the coaches are treating it like an area of great need.
I didn’t write anybody off. Just explaining. I never said any of them are bad, or won’t/can’t develop into good backs. And the coaches were, and are, recruiting transfer RB’s, before and after signing day. They want a good veteran RB on the roster to pair with Ifanse. If they thought the roster as it is was fine, they wouldn’t do that. Put two and two together.

Calling Hosey a freshman is both accurate and disingenuous. I believe last year was his 3rd year on the roster. Only because of Covid was he still a freshman. Elliot was a true freshman and played quite well for a true freshman.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:11 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I didn’t write anybody off. Just explaining. I never said any of them are bad, or won’t/can’t develop into good backs. And the coaches were, and are, recruiting transfer RB’s, before and after signing day. They want a good veteran RB on the roster to pair with Ifanse. If they thought the roster as it is was fine, they wouldn’t do that. Put two and two together.

Calling Hosey a freshman is both accurate and disingenuous. I believe last year was his 3rd year on the roster. Only because of Covid was he still a freshman. Elliot was a true freshman and played quite well for a true freshman.
Your quote from before was pretty direct: the coaching staff didn’t think the “stable” of backs was very impressive” indicating the coaches didn’t like them. I only said that maybe they weren’t ready due to age or injury.

Additionally, the coaches did not focus on RB’s as an area of need during recruiting. Now Ifanse had surgery and is recovering. In the meantime a quality FBS back is available via the portal so we are taking a look - as we should. However, none of this indicates what the coaches think of our our current RBs. Vigen even commented about how good Hosey looked during spring.

Not sure what you are arguing about Hosey, but he had one year as a redshirt and didn’t get to play during Covid. He also had different coordinators/offenses to learn during that time. Third year on the roster but he was a redshirt freshman - just like every kid in his same situation across the country. Without Covid, he would be a redshirt sophomore. Are there many sophomores in college football get many touches? I haven’t checked, but I would guess the majority of sophomores do not get many touches. Especially if they have an all American in front of them.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:46 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:11 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Your quote from before was pretty direct: the coaching staff didn’t think the “stable” of backs was very impressive” indicating the coaches didn’t like them. I only said that maybe they weren’t ready due to age or injury.

Additionally, the coaches did not focus on RB’s as an area of need during recruiting. Now Ifanse had surgery and is recovering. In the meantime a quality FBS back is available via the portal so we are taking a look - as we should. However, none of this indicates what the coaches think of our our current RBs. Vigen even commented about how good Hosey looked during spring.

Not sure what you are arguing about Hosey, but he had one year as a redshirt and didn’t get to play during Covid. He also had different coordinators/offenses to learn during that time. Third year on the roster but he was a redshirt freshman - just like every kid in his same situation across the country. Without Covid, he would be a redshirt sophomore. Are there many sophomores in college football get many touches? I haven’t checked, but I would guess the majority of sophomores do not get many touches. Especially if they have an all American in front of them.
Yeah, I feel like we’re saying very similar things. Whether because of inexperience, talent, injuries, whatever, the coaches didn’t seem to think the RB room was good enough outside of Ifanse. They’re looking at a graduate transfer RB, so certainly, we can tell they want to add talent to the room.

My point regarding Hosey is that by the time you’re in your 3rd year on the team, the “too young” or “only a freshman” excuse/explainer doesn’t really work for a RB. That’s just my opinion.