Montana Recruits 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

nutman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Montana Recruits 2022

Post by nutman » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:04 pm

Since when is an offer fro Iowa State big time? Why would I want to be a stud player out of Montana and go play for a team that statistically is going to have 2 to 3, 5 win seasons while I am there?

I get that it is a move up, but Bison fans know they will beat ISU when they line up and getting a kid like this helps us know that as well. We have to change our mindset. The coaches have done it with the players. But half of our fans still look at any FBS school as a move up. I’d rather compete for a championship any day than go to a program where 8 win season is reason to party all winter.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 pm

nutman wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:04 pm
Since when is an offer fro Iowa State big time? Why would I want to be a stud player out of Montana and go play for a team that statistically is going to have 2 to 3, 5 win seasons while I am there?

I get that it is a move up, but Bison fans know they will beat ISU when they line up and getting a kid like this helps us know that as well. We have to change our mindset. The coaches have done it with the players. But half of our fans still look at any FBS school as a move up. I’d rather compete for a championship any day than go to a program where 8 win season is reason to party all winter.
Iowa State has one of the best coaches in college football and won the Fiesta Bowl in 2020. They’re a consistent 7-9 win team lately.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:02 pm

Archiving. Final rankings now posted on OP.

Preseason Top 10 (Posted July 8, 2021)

1.) Taco Dowler (Billings West) - 5'10", 165 lbs. - WR/CB/ATH (Montana State)
2.) Zac Crews (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'4", 195 lbs. - TE/DE/OLB (Montana)
3.) Caden Dowler (Billings West) - 6'0", 195 lbs. - S (Montana State)
4.) Kaden Huot (Helena High) - 6'4", 200 lbs. - QB (Montana)
5.) Malikye Simpson (Billings Senior) - 5'10", 165 lbs. - WR/CB/ATH
6.) Marcus Evans (Helena High) - 6'0", 205 lbs. - RB/LB (Montana)
7.) Rylan Schlepp (Bozeman Gallatin) - 6'4", 220 lbs. - TE/DE (Montana State)
8.) Jake Rendina (Kalispell Glacier) - 5'11", 230 lbs. - RB
9.) Charlie Kirgan (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'0", 210 lbs. - FB/DE (Montana Tech)
10.) Ethan Abbott (Florence) - 6'4", 275 lbs. - OL/DL (Montana State)

Taco falls somewhere in between Gabe Sulser and Jace Klucewich in terms of talent (great company to be in). If Zac Crews was about 25 lbs. bigger, he would be the clear #1 and likely already scooped up by a FBS program. Caden is a rock solid safety prospect. Kaden has tons of natural arm talent with solid athleticism to boot. He can throw off platform and still maintain accuracy. Malikye is very, very fast. Marcus has a ton of great instincts as a linebacker that should make him a multi-year starter at the next level. Rylan has length for days and gives coaches a bunch to work with as an offensive threat or a future rush end. Jake is a bowling ball as a runner which makes up for his lack of speed...he's easily a power back at the FCS level but may not get a scholarship offer (military academies want him). Charlie Kirgan is being terribly underrecruited and hopefully another stellar season gets him a scholarship offer from the UM or MSU (I'll be flabbergasted if he only gets NAIA offers). Ethan has the best measurables as a future offensive or defensive lineman at the next level (he's also a monster on tape).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:38 pm

Final rankings have been updated on first page. I'll be adding some short commentary on each within each of the Tier threads. Enjoy!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:00 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:38 pm
Final rankings have been updated on first page. I'll be adding some short commentary on each within each of the Tier threads. Enjoy!
What about the receiver from Polson Colton Graham over 2000 career receiving yards

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:54 pm

catsack wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:00 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:38 pm
What about the receiver from Polson Colton Graham over 2000 career receiving yards
Very productive high school receiver in a pass-heavy offense at the Class A level. His career receiving mark puts him in the Top 10 for MHSA in that category for all classes. About 6'3", 195 lbs. with a good wingspan, great ball skills, and leaping ability. However, Colton's movement skills and speed do not project well to the next level (NAIA or FCS) so he would have to develop into a new position (possibly TE) and I just didn't see that conversion working in his favor so he didn't make the "project" tier of my list. I can absolutely see other evaluators penciling him in as a big slot who can excel as a possession receiver or redzone threat. Overall, my final opinion on Colton is that his future is more on the hardwood than football field as he's a heck of a basketball player.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:27 pm

My evaluation and/or thoughts on each MSU recruit out of Montana:

1.) Taco Dowler (Billings West) - 5'9", 175 lbs. - WR/CB

Why is Taco "rare" for a Montana recruit?
- 2021 MT Gatorade Player of the Year for football
- Three-time All-State WR, two-time All-State CB, and two-time All-State KR/PR
- Amassed almost 4500 total yards (offense and special teams) during his career
- Over 2700 receiving yards during his career with 27 touchdowns
- Returned three kicks for touchdowns throughout his career
- Upgrades a team's scoring potential any time he steps on the field whether its deep balls, handoffs, catch-and-runs, or returns
- His straight-line speed is above average but his quickness is elite as he's tough to corral in tight spaces (can make you miss in a phone booth)
- Needs to be accounted for pre-snap and post-snap
- Not just a slot receiver as he can win and be a threat on the outside or in the backfield as well
- Works all three levels of a defense and is a nightmare in the open field
- Can adjust his route speed on a dime and displays keen awareness to find soft spots in zone coverage
- Dropped balls are rare and makes catches outside his frame
- Not afraid to put max effort and physicality in blocking
- Received double and even triple coverage (worked wonderfully for Sentinel in the 2021 title game) which proves how much defensive coordinators feared his abilities
- Abilities as a corner kind of go unnoticed but would not doubt that he could develop on defense at the next level if given the opportunity
- Posted a 22'5" long jump and 11.07 100M dash his junior track season
- Held a PWO offer from Kansas State prior to committing to MSU
Final Thought on Taco: In the end, Taco is a game-breaking talent who will immediately be one of the most dangerous players on MSU's roster in 2022.

4.) Caden Dowler (Billings West) - 6'1", 205 lbs. - S
What makes Caden a "blue chip" prospect?
- Two-time All-State safety, All-State receiver his senior season, productive punt returner and gunner, and wildcat QB
- The best pure safety prospect in this class that excels in the box, on the outside, or covering the deep middle
- A big hitter that can stick opponents for no gain upon contact especially on throws to the flat
- Has a confident demeanor on the field that takes winning angles to the ball which helps offset his average straight-line speed
- An explosive athlete with room to grow into his frame who should be a special team star early in his career
Biggest obstacle to overcome at the next level: can he settle into a position and max out his development.

7.) Burke Mastel (Red Lodge) - 6'5", 285 lbs. - OL
What makes Burke a "blue chip" prospect?
- Prototype size and athleticism for offensive tackle or guard
- Gets to his spots blocking on the edge or second level which is where his athleticism shines
- Has no problem burying his man to the ground (has some nasty to him)
- Nimble lower body with excellent footwork and lateral movement
- Long wingspan that projects to tackle but is scheme & position versatile
Biggest obstacle to overcome at the next level: can he clean-up his tendency to lean into defenders and not shoot his arms properly upon contact.

9.) Rylan Schlepp (Bozeman Gallatin) - 6'5", 235 lbs. - TE
Rylan really grew into an intimidating presence as a TE prospect his senior season and it showed in his reps as a blocker and after the catch. He lined up at multiple spots in Gallatin's offense which made him a tough matchup for opposing defense snap to snap. Rylan's athletic enough to excel as a receiver (hands/route running/YAC ability) and strong enough to dominate as a blocker which makes him my #1 TE prospect in this class. He possibly has the longest wingspan of any recruit in this class and his long stride & hard-charging running style make him tough to corral in the open field. Rylan is tall so he needs to work extra hard at getting low enough as a blocker on the interior but that should come with more development. He was the earliest commit in MSU's class and his high school coaches laud him for his humble attitude and diligent work ethic. Rylan's a two-time All-State TE as well as an All-State AA basketball player which bodes well for his future as a productive college TE.
10.) Ethan Abbott (Florence) - 6'5", 270 lbs. - OL/DL
Ethan is a large, tenacious defensive line prospect who could also develop on the offensive side. He 100% plays with an attitude that helps him win reps at a high rate along the offensive and defensive line but he'll have to get better at showing consistent effort at the next level (playing both ways for a big kid can be tasking so this isn't that big of a knock). Ethan got recruited as a defensive tackle which makes sense if you watch his tape. He does a decent job of winning with leverage but he'll need to continue to improve at the next level since a lot of those reps were against inferior Class B competition. Ethan has a long wingspan that helps him make plays in the backfield and along the line of scrimmage with strong hands to boot. As a pass rusher, his primary move is a bull rush that becomes even more effective with his speed and ability to stay low off the snap. Ethan was also athletic enough to line up at defensive end during high school which leads me to believe there is a chance he could be an offensive tackle at the next level but MSU will get the opportunity to make that decision.
13.) Tommy Nilson (Missoula Hellgate) - 6'4", 255 lbs. - OL/DL
Tommy is an offensive line prospect who really improved his stock by taking advantage of summer camp opportunities prior to his senior season. He garnered offers from both UM and MSU and ended up committing to MSU this past November. Tommy has a great frame and lower body with a great punch/lock out that make him an intrigued guard prospect at the next level (possibly right tackle as well). He plays with the requisite confidence and toughness to be a force as an offensive lineman with further strength development. Tommy is also a decent center for Missoula Hellgate's basketball team and state placer in the shot put in AA. He plans on going into engineering at MSU. Tommy is one of those kids that just kept getting better after being forced into a starting role his sophomore season and it led to a great recruit in the trenches for MSU.
16.) Dylan Snyder (Butte) - 6'2", 205 lbs. - WR/DE/LB
Dylan recovered from a brutal leg injury his junior year to show off his versatile skillset as an outside receiver, rush end, and sam linebacker. He certainly does not shy away from contact on either side of the ball as Dylan's tape is littered with catching footballs and looking for someone to hit instead of evading tackles. As a receiver, he has an easy stride that can accelerate into another gear in the open field. As a defender, Dylan shows quality reps as a speed rusher and run defender. Overall, past injuries and "reckless abondon" play likely hurt his recruitment but there is a high ceiling prospect here that goes hard on every play and getting him as a PWO may be a steal for the Cats if he develops at any of the three positions listed above.
19.) Max Murphy (Billings West) - 6'2", 220 lbs. - HB/LB
Max is a H-back/linebacker prospect who could also develop as an edge rusher at the next level. He shined as the primary blocking back for Billings West this past fall showing a refined blocking technique that would make any college run-game coordinator intrigued. When he isn't blocking, Max shows adequate hands to catch balls in the flat and a good ability to gain tough yards while running. As a defensive player, he lined up inside and outside as a linebacker showing scheme versatility as an edge rusher at OLB and old-school run stuffer at MLB. Max received only a PWO offer but I really like his film/position versatility and he's got a great opportunity at MSU if he wants to develop as a H-back.
22.) Max Kimball (Billings West) - 6'1", 190 lbs. - S
Much like Chase McGurran, Max is primarily an inside receiver/nickel back prospect at the next level though Max has better size coming out of high school. He has quality reps as a safety and corner, showing strong tackling and the ability to deflect the football in 50/50 situations.
On offense, Max drastically improved as an overall receiver on a team that featured Taco Dowler, Caden Dowler, and Riley Bergeson. Also like Chase M., Max's best chance to contribute for the Bobcats will first have to come on special teams where I think he can make an impact early. He's a legacy kid so you can bet Max will give 110% for Vigen and crew to make the team better.
27.) Ryan Krahe (Great Falls High) - 6'1", 215 lbs. - LB
Like every year, there is a throwback linebacker from Montana that would've been a top recruit 20 years ago but the game has changed which has changed what is needed from a prospect at the position. Ryan is that type of player as the Great Falls High product starred on both sides of the ball as a bruising RB and big-hitting LB. When you watch his film, you see a player who definitely wants to impose his will upon contact but can struggle in situations (pass coverage/lateral quickness) where better athleticism is needed. However, there is still plenty of value with a player like Ryan as he can be a force in the run game and special teams as well as maybe making a position change to a H-back role.
33.) Jaden Perkins (Bozeman High) - 6'1", 255 lbs. - OL
Jaden is a stout interior offensive line prospect out of Bozeman High. Younger brother of starting MSU center Justus Perkins, Jaden emulates his older brothers ability to finish plays through the echo of the whistle. While he may not have the snappy hips of his older brother, Jaden has a solid lower half and a good punch when engaged with defenders. He also brings his feet which helps his ability to finish in the ground game. Jaden is not as good of an athlete or have the feet of his older brother but he definitely brings great energy and toughness to each snap as an offensive guard. I infamously ranked Justus as a lowered tiered PWO prospect back in 2019 so I look forward to Jaden proving my ranking wrong once again in three years.
47.) Michael Armstrong (Bozeman Gallatin) – 6’0”, 195 lbs. – LB/S
The son of MSU OL coach Brian Armstrong, Michael plays the game in a physical manner and shows development versatility as a SAM LB or nickelback.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:04 pm

I think you will find that Caden's straight line speed has improved. Watch for Spring Track results...

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:05 pm

Thanks for doing this Vim. Appreciate all you do for us every year

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:04 pm

vike_king wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:01 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:21 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:15 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:53 pm
Any relation to Dewey (and Cassie) Kautzman? Dewey was a Bobcat basketball player and they both bleed blue and gold.
I don’t think so. Casey grew up as a die hard Griz fan. In the past couple of years he has gravitated to the Blue and Gold. He has a huge leg (51 yarder - distance from 55+) with accuracy. Another high character kid coming from coach Arie Grey’s hard nose Butte program.
I specifically asked Casey if he was related to Dewey, he said no, not that he know of.
Thanks. I’m even thinking the last name might not be spelled quite the same. A lot of water under the bridge since Cassie and I worked together (actually for Sonny Holland) about a million years ago.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:07 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:04 pm
I think you will find that Caden's straight line speed has improved. Watch for Spring Track results...
I mean it wasn't a huge knock as he still was dangerous as a punt returner and posted a 100m time of around 11.7. For his future position as a safety or linebacker, not too concerned about hid speed. Plus, instincts and football IQ are spectacular so if he gets faster that only enhances his chances of playing early and often.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:26 am

autocat

Post by autocat » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:33 am

Malikye Simpson will be NOT be running track for the wheat kings of NDSU

He will be running track for MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY =D^ =D^

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:35 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:26 am
For those looking to compare, Troy ran a 10.88 in his fastest run in high school. I'm not sure how much faster a tenth of a second looks like on the field, but I'd have to think it's fairly comparable.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:54 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:35 am
VimSince03 wrote:
For those looking to compare, Troy ran a 10.88 in his fastest run in high school. I'm not sure how much faster a tenth of a second looks like on the field, but I'd have to think it's fairly comparable.
Depends on a lot, as in football you’re pretty much never running 100 meters. Some sprinters get up to top speed very quickly, but then plateau at that speed. Some take a little bit to get to top gear and then pull away from people. Regardless, anybody running sub 11 is fast. Troy also ran his 10.88 towards the end of the track season, Dowler is just getting started. If coached right, he should peak towards the end.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:43 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:54 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Depends on a lot, as in football you’re pretty much never running 100 meters. Some sprinters get up to top speed very quickly, but then plateau at that speed. Some take a little bit to get to top gear and then pull away from people. Regardless, anybody running sub 11 is fast. Troy also ran his 10.88 towards the end of the track season, Dowler is just getting started. If coached right, he should peak towards the end.
For what it's worth, Andersen's 10.88 was ran in his senior year in the first meet of the spring in a snow storm in Belgrade.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:20 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:43 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
For what it's worth, Andersen's 10.88 was ran in his senior year in the first meet of the spring in a snow storm in Belgrade.
More proof nobody should ever listen to me.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:01 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:20 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
He actually ran his 10.88 in the 3rd meet, in Butte. He did win the 100 in Belgrade, but it was his second-worst time of the year (11.09). I thought he was most impressive running the 200...he basically had no slow down in him in the 2nd 100.

But you're right...theoretically Taco should get a little faster by the end of the season unless that was slightly wind aided. Get him in good weather against good competition, I bet he comes down another couple hundredths.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:23 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:01 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
He actually ran his 10.88 in the 3rd meet, in Butte. He did win the 100 in Belgrade, but it was his second-worst time of the year (11.09). I thought he was most impressive running the 200...he basically had no slow down in him in the 2nd 100.

But you're right...theoretically Taco should get a little faster by the end of the season unless that was slightly wind aided. Get him in good weather against good competition, I bet he comes down another couple hundredths.
Yep..was going to say same on his 10.88 at Butte. Earlier he had a 10.89 in Corvallis. And he had a 10.90 in a prelim run at State meet at end of season. Three or four other 10.9+ish runs through season.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:27 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:23 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:01 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Yep..was going to say same on his 10.88 at Butte. Earlier he had a 10.89 in Corvallis. And he had a 10.90 in a prelim run at State meet at end of season. Three or four other 10.9+ish runs through season.
A Choate quote pulled from Skyline Sports article of August 20, 2017:

“I like everything about Troy Andersen,” Choate said earlier this camp. “I like the fact that he’s never had a B in his life. I like the fact that he’s 6-foot-3, 215 pounds and can run a 10.8 100 in Montana in a blizzard in Belgrade in March."

Was Choate short term memory full of sh#t?