Spring football schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 pm
I think more teams are going to opt out in the coming days/weeks. St Francis opted out with no warning a day or 2 ago. Their star QB is transferring now as well. Maybe teams won't opt out for fear of losing players but we will see.

The other thing to consider is that any team that played more than 5 games in the fall can't participate in the spring because of the 11 game regular season rules. I know Central Arkansas is one of them. I believe there are a handful of others as well. That doesn't affect us or the BSC, just pointing it out.
Or teams are opting out at the last second because they don't want players transferring.

I think if you see a player transfer out before the season starts, it might be a sign that that school might be opting out soon.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 pm
I think more teams are going to opt out in the coming days/weeks. St Francis opted out with no warning a day or 2 ago. Their star QB is transferring now as well. Maybe teams won't opt out for fear of losing players but we will see.

The other thing to consider is that any team that played more than 5 games in the fall can't participate in the spring because of the 11 game regular season rules. I know Central Arkansas is one of them. I believe there are a handful of others as well. That doesn't affect us or the BSC, just pointing it out.
Or teams are opting out at the last second because they don't want players transferring.

I think if you see a player transfer out before the season starts, it might be a sign that that school might be opting out soon.
Is UM opting out??? :lol:

Hating the griz since 02.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:49 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 am

One of the dark pinks posted they heard Choate announced in practice yesterday the Spring season would consist of two scrimmages. No idea if true but it's what I've been predicting all along.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:59 am

Montana Schools to Play Modified Spring Football Season

MISSOULA, Montana – The football programs at the University of Montana and Montana State University announced jointly on Friday that neither team will participate in the Big Sky Conference’s spring championship season and will potentially play a modified non-conference spring schedule.

The Grizzlies and Bobcats were set to participate in the league’s six-game spring season from February 27 to April 10. Neither team will now be eligible for a spring Big Sky championship or the FCS playoffs.

Both Montana schools now look to develop a slate that allows each team to schedule up to two live competitions, falling in line more closely with the traditional spring practice period. Opponents and exact dates are still to be determined.

University of Montana President Seth Bodnar says he and Montana State University President Dr. Waded Cruzado made the joint decision with the health and safety of student-athletes as their primary concern for not participating in a full spring season.

“Throughout the pandemic, we have made decisions in the best interest of the students. After much discussion with the athletic directors and coaches at both schools, we feel this decision allows our student-athletes to compete with adequate time to prepare,” said Bodnar.

Montana State President Dr. Waded Cruzado said her focus is trained on the well-being of students.

“The safety of our students is always our No. 1 priority at Montana State,” Cruzado said. “This decision was difficult, but it will help ensure our student-athletes are as safe and healthy as possible when they do take to the field again. We are proud of their hard work and look forward to cheering them on.”

Directors of Athletics Kent Haslam of Montana and Leon Costello of Montana State echoed the presidents’ concerns of the difficulties in safely preparing football student-athletes for competition starting in February while focusing on implementing a successful fall 2021 season.

“We know that student-athletes want to play and coaches certainly want to coach, but a reduced number of games in the spring will give our team a greater chance of success in the fall of 2021,” said Haslam. “This decision allows our student-athletes to compete in some way but gives them more time to prepare in a more controlled environment.”

Costello said the modified schedule allows student-athletes to maintain a normal cycle of preparation for the upcoming fall season. Montana State’s most recent game was in December, 2019.

“The health and safety of our student-athletes is paramount,” he said. “The timeline for our football student-athletes to be physically prepared for the current conference schedule can’t be guaranteed given our climate and related circumstances. By altering our spring season, we will be able to focus on their physical training during the appropriate conditions and proper recovery for the fall season.”

Montana and Montana State are two of three Big Sky schools that have chosen to participate in a modified spring schedule along with Portland State. Sacramento State announced in the fall that it will opt out of the entire 2021 spring season.

“We want to compete this spring but we don’t believe playing a complete conference schedule is in the best interest of our program,” said Montana head coach Bobby Hauck. “We feel like we have a championship-caliber team, and preparing to win a championship in Montana in February with no indoor facility would be difficult at best. I think this modified schedule allows our players to compete while keeping the focus on the fall of 2021.”

Bobcat head coach Jeff Choate said the spring season’s timeline wasn’t feasible in Montana.

“This has been a trying year for everyone,” he said. “We respect the fact that each institution is in a different place in its ability to practice, compete, and meet testing protocols. Here in Montana we’re uniquely challenged in keeping our student-athletes safe and healthy, which is our top priority, while preparing and playing in deep winter conditions. This is nearly impossible to accomplish given the Big Sky Conference schedule timeline. Finding a way to compete in some fashion when circumstances allow remains important to me and our administration.”

In September, the NCAA extended student-athletes' eligibility by a year, making players who participate in the modified spring season eligible to compete in the fall 2021 season as well.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:02 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 am
One of the dark pinks posted they heard Choate announced in practice yesterday the Spring season would consist of two scrimmages. No idea if true but it's what I've been predicting all along.
I appreciate the information. I don't understand why it always has to be about you.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:04 am

Montana and Montana State have officially opted out of the FCS spring championship season. Bobcats, Griz say in press release they will attempt "modified spring schedule."

More here:
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-gri ... cs-season/

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:04 am
Montana and Montana State have officially opted out of the FCS spring championship season. Bobcats, Griz say in press release they will attempt "modified spring schedule."

More here:

Glad Jeff and Robert have some common sense...unlike the current Big Sky leadership.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:11 am

I'm glad they finally made the decision and that they got out in front of the issue (although it is already mid-January) rather than waiting for everyone else to make the decision for them.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:04 am

More here:

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:18 am

Well, I for one, AM SHOCKED!

Who could have ever predicted this would happen?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:18 am

"The safety of our students is always our No. 1 priority at Montana State," Cruzado said. "This decision was difficult, but it will help ensure our student-athletes are as safe and healthy as possible when they do take to the field again. We are proud of their hard work and look forward to cheering them on."
So we're still going to play games in the spring when Choate doesn't even like full speed practices in the spring. I don't know how it helps ensure they are as safe and healthy as possible when they will be taking the field again in (likely) March and if they get hurt that will still have an impact when the games that count starting in September. We also still won't be able to cheer them on in person until September at the earliest. The statement had a lot of nice sounding words but ultimately they decided they couldn't afford a 6+ game season without fans. I wish they would just come out and say that instead of this PR-speak statement.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am

Smart move, time to move on and get ready for fall.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am

Smartest move they could make. And in a way I think it was both of their ways of telling the big sky conference screw you for not playing in the fall. They were both pretty vocal that they should have been playing all along.

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:18 am
"The safety of our students is always our No. 1 priority at Montana State," Cruzado said. "This decision was difficult, but it will help ensure our student-athletes are as safe and healthy as possible when they do take to the field again. We are proud of their hard work and look forward to cheering them on."
So we're still going to play games in the spring when Choate doesn't even like full speed practices in the spring. I don't know how it helps ensure they are as safe and healthy as possible when they will be taking the field again in (likely) March and if they get hurt that will still have an impact when the games that count starting in September. We also still won't be able to cheer them on in person until September at the earliest. The statement had a lot of nice sounding words but ultimately they decided they couldn't afford a 6+ game season without fans. I wish they would just come out and say that instead of this PR-speak statement.
They will be nothing more than glorified scrimmages. Think NFL preseason games, where the underclassman and walk-ons get a lot of run.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am

I don’t think it’s a good look, especially when other FCS conferences are playing, specifically the Missouri valley. Granted some have indoor practice facilities or domes, but I can’t imagine they all do?

It may be the correct decision to cancel, but it won’t be look favorably upon by outsiders, maybe even players holding on for one last shot at glory. Just a ****** situation all around.

If your left, you aren’t right.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am
Smartest move they could make. And in a way I think it was both of their ways of telling the big sky conference screw you for not playing in the fall. They were both pretty vocal that they should have been playing all along.
I think this is very true. Choate and Hauck aren't dummies.

Now my only fear is our stupid health department still won't allow fans this fall either.... :(

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am
I think this is very true. Choate and Hauck aren't dummies.

Now my only fear is our stupid health department still won't allow fans this fall either.... :(
This is the real concern. I've been worried about this for months and I don't have any confidence in their ability to assess the risks (or lack thereof) of having fans attend games in an outdoor stadium.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:39 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am
I don’t think it’s a good look, especially when other FCS conferences are playing, specifically the Missouri valley. Granted some have indoor practice facilities or domes, but I can’t imagine they all do?

It may be the correct decision to cancel, but it won’t be look favorably upon by outsiders, maybe even players holding on for one last shot at glory. Just a ****** situation all around.
All of the players that can play this spring, can play in the fall, if they want to.

You know what’s a bad look?

Jeopardizing your chances for the real fall season with a spring season that nobody will care about.