Spring football schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:27 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:29 pm
I've only made it through Alex's questions so far but it sounds like non-conference = Frontier Conference. Bring on Western!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:24 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:27 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:29 pm
I've only made it through Alex's questions so far but it sounds like non-conference = Frontier Conference. Bring on Western!
Skip to 15:55 for another classic Choate press conference. There are some gems in this one. I'm so glad he's still a Bobcat.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:44 pm

In case you missed it, here's everything Montana State AD Leon Costello, Montana State head coach Jeff Choate had to say about the "modification" of spring football for the Grizzlies

Big Sky Breakdown – Costello, Choate on altered spring season
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-bre ... ng-season/

In case you missed it, here's everything Montana AD Kent Haslam, Griz head coach Bobby Hauck had to say about the "modification" of spring football for the Grizzlies

Big Sky Breakdown – Haslam, Hauck on modification of spring football
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-bre ... -football/

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:39 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am
I don’t think it’s a good look, especially when other FCS conferences are playing, specifically the Missouri valley. Granted some have indoor practice facilities or domes, but I can’t imagine they all do?

It may be the correct decision to cancel, but it won’t be look favorably upon by outsiders, maybe even players holding on for one last shot at glory. Just a ****** situation all around.
All of the players that can play this spring, can play in the fall, if they want to.

You know what’s a bad look?

Jeopardizing your chances for the real fall season with a spring season that nobody will care about.
I believe there will be a real FCS playoff and a national champion crowned this spring, that may be worth something to players. I’m not saying right or wrong about canceling the spring, all I know is teams like NDSU are going to play and they have only won 7 chippers.

Just because you rode pine 99, doesn’t mean ****** to me.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:23 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:19 pm
iaafan wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm
iaafan wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:06 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:45 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 am
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am
Smartest move they could make. And in a way I think it was both of their ways of telling the big sky conference screw you for not playing in the fall. They were both pretty vocal that they should have been playing all along.
I think this is very true. Choate and Hauck aren't dummies.

Now my only fear is our stupid health department still won't allow fans this fall either.... :(
This is the real concern. I've been worried about this for months and I don't have any confidence in their ability to assess the risks (or lack thereof) of having fans attend games in an outdoor stadium.
Totally agree. It's my biggest fear. It's become so politicized and has divided everyone. Hell, if you think bars should stay open after 10pm you're selfish and get accused of wanting people to die!

It'd be nice if after 18 months of this, when football starts, vaccinations etc. we could be to a point where adults are allowed to assess the risks and make their own decisions. And those that deem the risks are still too high, can simply not be one of the people who venture out to restaurants and sporting events.

Fingers crossed [-o<
As long as Matt Kelley is allowed to do whatever the heck he wants with no oversight, I don’t think you’re going to see any changes.
Completely agree. But I don't care about lives and really just want to see people die. It's the ONLY explanation! :wink:
Okay, Ken. :wink:
I'm intrigued! Who's Ken?
The male Karen.
Oh gotcha. I'm not that hip.

I'm just basing that statement off the comments in all the Gianforte, Attorney General, R-Bar stuff I've read the last couple days. If you want fewer restrictions, in some peoples eyes that means you don't care if people die.

I feel I fall somewhere in the middle. 8)
Last I checked, no one is twisting peoples arms to go to the bar or a game. Have to stand for something or else you die slowly for nothing.

If your left, you aren’t right.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 am

ilovethecats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Smartest move they could make. And in a way I think it was both of their ways of telling the big sky conference screw you for not playing in the fall. They were both pretty vocal that they should have been playing all along.

Now my only fear is our stupid health department still won't allow fans this fall either.... :(
This is the real concern. I've been worried about this for months and I don't have any confidence in their ability to assess the risks (or lack thereof) of having fans attend games in an outdoor stadium.
Totally agree. It's my biggest fear. It's become so politicized and has divided everyone. Hell, if you think bars should stay open after 10pm you're selfish and get accused of wanting people to die!

It'd be nice if after 18 months of this, when football starts, vaccinations etc. we could be to a point where adults are allowed to assess the risks and make their own decisions. And those that deem the risks are still too high, can simply not be one of the people who venture out to restaurants and sporting events.

Fingers crossed [-o<
Good luck with that.

At the rate people are getting vaccinated at this point, I’d say you should figure out a way to enhance your game day experience at home. Maybe buy a crowd noise app. Only 12 million people have been vaccinated so far. On pace for 60 million by August.

I’m just hoping that the players get vaccinated by then.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:56 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 am
ilovethecats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Fingers crossed [-o<
Good luck with that.

At the rate people are getting vaccinated at this point, I’d say you should figure out a way to enhance your game day experience at home. Maybe buy a crowd noise app. Only 12 million people have been vaccinated so far. On pace for 60 million by August.

At the rate new infections are climbing (250k new cases/day) at least another 50m people will Have contracted Covid...so 100M+ should have antibodies plus the 60m vaccinations...thats half the population...which may or may not get us to some semblance of herd immunity.

Add in the 500,000 people that will die & we should be well on our way to being back in the stands! ](*,)

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Northern Colorado announces they won't participate in the spring schedule. You gotta think the 2 remaining California schools will do the same soon. BSC spring season might be DOA.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:56 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Fingers crossed [-o<
Good luck with that.

At the rate new infections are climbing (250k new cases/day) at least another 50m people will Have contracted Covid...so 100M+ should have antibodies plus the 60m vaccinations...thats half the population...which may or may not get us to some semblance of herd immunity.

Add in the 500,000 people that will die & we should be well on our way to being back in the stands! ](*,)
So if the science is always correct, what has changed in Montana lately where many counties are now allowing bars and restaurants to stay open until midnight or 2am? Missoula and Billings are two of the fortunate cities. Cases must be WAY down in those counties I’m assuming for the health department to take such risky steps?

Here in Bozeman Matt Kelley was one who voted for them to be open until midnight. They’re addressing it in a couple weeks. If things are still so dire, and health officials and science are not to be questioned, surely something has HAD to have changed here to make it safe now but not before?

I’m looking forward to hearing what the science is that says all of these counties are now safe enough to stay open until midnight or, gasp, 2am. It has to be something incredible because we know for a fact it was way to dangerous to stay open that late weeks and months ago. It’s science!

:-^

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:39 pm

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:13 pm

:lol: 8)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:30 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:56 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Fingers crossed [-o<
Good luck with that.

So if the science is always correct, what has changed in Montana lately where many counties are now allowing bars and restaurants to stay open until midnight or 2am? Missoula and Billings are two of the fortunate cities. Cases must be WAY down in those counties I’m assuming for the health department to take such risky steps?

Here in Bozeman Matt Kelley was one who voted for them to be open until midnight. They’re addressing it in a couple weeks. If things are still so dire, and health officials and science are not to be questioned, surely something has HAD to have changed here to make it safe now but not before?

I’m looking forward to hearing what the science is that says all of these counties are now safe enough to stay open until midnight or, gasp, 2am. It has to be something incredible because we know for a fact it was way to dangerous to stay open that late weeks and months ago. It’s science!

:-^

Someone needs to give Ed McCaffrey a science lesson. He thinks he’s protecting his players.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 am

Northern Colorado is the 5th team to opt out of the #BigSkyFB spring season, joining Montana, Montana St, Portland St & Sacramento St.

Ed McCaffrey: "This is the difficult, but right decision for us. ... The health and safety of our players take precedence over everything else."

Also a new head coach, new offense, new defense and needs more players. He needs the spring to build the team and not get fired before fall

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:30 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 am
Northern Colorado is the 5th team to opt out of the #BigSkyFB spring season, joining Montana, Montana St, Portland St & Sacramento St.

Ed McCaffrey: "This is the difficult, but right decision for us. ... The health and safety of our players take precedence over everything else."

Also a new head coach, new offense, new defense and needs more players. He needs the spring to build the team and not get fired before fall
Good points.

With a traditional fall 2021 looking more and more likely, it makes sense to focus on the fall instead of a funky spring.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 am

I like the idea of playing a couple small Montana colleges, not named UM ;-), better than a spring scrimmage. MSU can play lots of players to minimize the risk of injury but still have a real game. I coached basketball for 11 years. Players practice different and play different for a real game.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:08 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 am
I like the idea of playing a couple small Montana colleges, not named UM ;-), better than a spring scrimmage. MSU can play lots of players to minimize the risk of injury but still have a real game. I coached basketball for 11 years. Players practice different and play different for a real game.
Except, at this point anyway, the Frontier Conference is still planning a spring season. You can't expect any of them to ditch scheduled games, conference or otherwise, to play body bag games against the two universities.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:03 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:08 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 am
Except, at this point anyway, the Frontier Conference is still planning a spring season. You can't expect any of them to ditch scheduled games, conference or otherwise, to play body bag games against the two universities.
MSU plays Western on April 17th.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:21 pm

“Back in the day”, before freshmen were eligible for varsity games, MSU scheduled freshman only games/scrimmages with other schools. Why not schedule an exhibition game/scrimmage with the Grizzlies this spring, in say Butte, where rosters are limited to only players with the full 4 years of eligibility remaining? There seems to be a boatload of redshirt & true freshman on the Cat roster and I would suspect the same with the Griz, all needing some game like evaluation. If that wouldn’t be enough players, the rosters could be expanded to include players with 3 or more years of eligibility remaining.

The only negative I see is the upper classman don’t get to play.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:45 pm

I don't understand the desire to play the griz in a game that doesn't count. There's no upside. If the coaches want the players to get some real game time against a D1 team they should call up UND or one of the BSC schools we aren't playing in the fall.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:53 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:45 pm
I don't understand the desire to play the griz in a game that doesn't count. There's no upside. If the coaches want the players to get some real game time against a D1 team they should call up UND or one of the BSC schools we aren't playing in the fall.
Assuming your post was in response to mine, of course a freshman only exhibition doesn’t count in a record book. It counts in giving some young players, many of which haven’t played a game in 2+ years, some game like experience against somebody other than themselves. As far as it being against the Grizzly freshman, their players are of a similar skill level and are the closest school to us geographically. In this time, money isn’t growing on trees and putting 30 or 40 players on a bus to Butte for a day seems very cost effective to me. I don’t understand what is so sacrilegious about letting some freshman from across the divide play each other.