Spring football schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:29 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:51 am
tetoncat wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:42 am
I think priority is getting good practices on clear fields to implement any new schemes. If that includes games that Coach feels can benefit us I support it. But if it rushes the process and puts changes on film for next falls opponents may not be a benefit.
It's hard to believe a super-scrimage against one of the Frontier teams that dropped out of their spring season wouldn't benefit both teams heading into the fall. It's been a long time since these guys have hit someone they didn't share a locker room with.
I could see them play a true "scrimmage", live plays. Situational plays, let it be beneficial for both teams. Plus I selfishly want to watch any football in person.

BobcANON
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcANON » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:54 pm

:lol: LMAO... funny chit right there. I'll save my love reps for the old lady but I think I know what Cataholic meant.

"Ever feel like you're at a knife fight wielding a d*ill doe made out of American cheese?" - Griz Nation

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:40 am

From Cat Chat last night, it sounds like there won't be any games other than the spring game. I see his point with doing it that way because of new coaches and new systems.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:40 am
From Cat Chat last night, it sounds like there won't be any games other than the spring game. I see his point with doing it that way because of new coaches and new systems.
I wonder if they'll have to move the spring game out of Bozeman in order to get fans in attendance.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:22 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
I can see both sides here and I'm totally fine with the decision. Ideally we get enough work in this Spring to be all set, any new schemes installed, hit the ground running, healthy, full roster, hungry for another deep playoff run this fall. If UM and other BS teams get banged up this Spring, or perhaps get key players injured and have to limp into the real Fall season..... then we'll KNOW it was the right decision for MSU. Bobby sounds pretty confident in where the Griz team is at right now.... but that's usually the case.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:38 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:22 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
I can see both sides here and I'm totally fine with the decision. Ideally we get enough work in this Spring to be all set, any new schemes installed, hit the ground running, healthy, full roster, hungry for another deep playoff run this fall. If UM and other BS teams get banged up this Spring, or perhaps get key players injured and have to limp into the real Fall season..... then we'll KNOW it was the right decision for MSU. Bobby sounds pretty confident in where the Griz team is at right now.... but that's usually the case.
There is no upside to the new staff putting anything on film scheme-wise prior to the first game next fall. One benefit of new systems is that opponents are unfamiliar with them. Unless Vigen is going to tell his coaches to go completely vanilla, in which case what’s the point of even playing the game? All that leads to is injury and is of no benefit to the players.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:48 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:38 pm
catatac wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
There is no upside to the new staff putting anything on film scheme-wise prior to the first game next fall. One benefit of new systems is that opponents are unfamiliar with them. Unless Vigen is going to tell his coaches to go completely vanilla, in which case what’s the point of even playing the game? All that leads to is injury and is of no benefit to the players.
I have a feeling our first opponent in the fall will have a pretty good idea what the scheme will look like, at least on offense, regardless of whether or not we play a game in the spring. :wink:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:39 pm

I dont like this at all. I think the team needs some game preparation and to play in a couple of real games. Next September could be brutal until we get into the game again. We should beat UW. But, that is highly highly unlikely having played no games in 20 months.

Hating the griz since 02.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:48 pm
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I have a feeling our first opponent in the fall will have a pretty good idea what the scheme will look like, at least on offense, regardless of whether or not we play a game in the spring. :wink:
Why make it easier for opposing coaches by giving them film on a new head coach and two new coordinators?

What a ride

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:50 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 pm
coloradocat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Why make it easier for opposing coaches by giving them film on a new head coach and two new coordinators?
The chances of us winning the first three games haven't changed since the beginning of the year. It will still be tough for us to beat Wyoming and we still shouldn't have much trouble with Drake and San Diego. By then our BSC opponents will have plenty of film and any spring games would likely be ignored anyway. I'm much more concerned with our guys being rusty than with opposing coaches finding out the new wrinkles we build into the playbook. I doubt we'll see much of a Vigen/Housewright offense prior to conference play anyway. They aren't planning major changes as it is and they won't have anyone to test them against until September so they'll probably be rolled out slowly for our players' sake more than for strategy.

In theory this lessens the chances of our guys getting hurt before the fall but it seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an internal spring game and then play a Frontier conference at the end of April for a chance to hit someone wearing a different jersey just to get that feeling back.

Oh well, see everyone in Laramie!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:34 pm

coloradocat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
They will, but maybe not as much as you’d think. Bohl, like Choate did here, had an influence on what the offense did.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:31 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:12 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:31 pm
Awesome, but we do lose practice time by not playing games. Hope we surprise UW on our way to a BSC championship in fall 2021. I already asked for leave for Frisco!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 am

Thanks for sharing! I have a really stupid question here, hoping somebody can boil it down for me so a 4th grader can understand. So for any teams playing the Spring season, I know the players that were going to be Seniors heading into 2020 are allowed to play this Season, but then are they also able to play in 2021? I guess what I'm saying, are the FCS teams that opted to NOT play a Spring season in the same boat in terms of player eligibility?

bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatozzy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Catatac if I understand what you are saying and what the Ncaa is saying. I don't think anyone's season counts this year for eligibility.

Rest In peace dad.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:19 pm

bobcatozzy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm
Catatac if I understand what you are saying and what the Ncaa is saying. I don't think anyone's season counts this year for eligibility.
Ok, thanks. So taking an EWU for example, any of those seniors that were supposed to have 2020 as their last season, get to play in this Spring season and then turn around again and get to play in the Fall 2021 season, assuming the school can figure out all the schollies. I figured that was the case but wasn't sure. It's all just such a cluster.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:19 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 am
Thanks for sharing! I have a really stupid question here, hoping somebody can boil it down for me so a 4th grader can understand. So for any teams playing the Spring season, I know the players that were going to be Seniors heading into 2020 are allowed to play this Season, but then are they also able to play in 2021? I guess what I'm saying, are the FCS teams that opted to NOT play a Spring season in the same boat in terms of player eligibility?
Every single player is given a free pass this year, they can play the spring and still play the fall or choose to sit out and still play the fall. Nothing counts against eligibility. This season is an absolute freebie.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:58 pm

Is anyone in any numbers following FCS spring football? I haven’t heard a thing about it on any national sports shows.

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:58 pm
Is anyone in any numbers following FCS spring football? I haven’t heard a thing about it on any national sports shows.
I've been watching and following pretty closely. What do you want to know?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:11 pm

Heck, that is pretty sad. Kevin Thompson, had he stayed at Sac could have had a tenth year of eligibility.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.