Spring football schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am

If the spring schedule falls through, is it written in stone that the 2021 Cat/gizz game happens in Bozeman?

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:12 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am
If the spring schedule falls through, is it written in stone that the 2021 Cat/gizz game happens in Bozeman?
Good question. I'm not 100% sure of the answer, but the Fall 2021 conference schedules are already complete. If Cat-griz was moved from Bozeman to Missoula, then the griz would have 5 conference home games, and the Cats would have 3. So I don't see how it would get changed.
I think if Spring season doesn't happen, um just gets screwed out of hosting the game 1 year.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:48 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:12 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Good question. I'm not 100% sure of the answer, but the Fall 2021 conference schedules are already complete. If Cat-griz was moved from Bozeman to Missoula, then the griz would have 5 conference home games, and the Cats would have 3. So I don't see how it would get changed.
I think if Spring season doesn't happen, um just gets screwed out of hosting the game 1 year.
Yep the game is in Bozeman in 2021 no matter what. UM gets screwed, but in the grand scheme of things, with people getting screwed over one way or another, not being able to watch your squad get pounded by the Cats in your home stadium likely falls pretty low on the list.... :wink:

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:57 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
An excellent ? I mentioned this back when they announced no Fall season. I'm not sure of the answer, but because of what '91' stated and other reasons I'd bet it will be played in Bozeman. Allowing a season where teams get a different amount of BSC home games just won't pass mustard. I think the logistics of making a 'new schedule' for the BSC for Fall 2021 would be nearly impossible for the simple reason that each teams BYE week and OOC schedule couldn't be rescheduled 'consistently across the board'.

Another way of looking at it is.....'we get screwed out of beating them in wa-griz....again \:D/ '

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:55 pm

On Saturday night, MTN news did a segment on past Cat-Griz games, including interviews with Kane Ioane and Shann Shillnger. Of course, Kane talked a lot about the 2002 game when MSU ended "the streak". The segment was hosted by Slim Kimmel, and I thought he did a pretty good job with it overall, but he did make one comment that sorta bugged me. He said something about, since ending the streak in 2002, the Cats had been "generally competitive with the Griz" since then. I readily admit that I'm sometimes overly sensitive regarding perceived Griz bias among the local media in Montana, so maybe I was reading something into Kimmel's comment that he didn't intend. To me, "generally competitive" made it seem like UM still had the upper hand since then, but that it hadn't been too one sided. Of course, it's actually 9-9, in the 18 years since the streak ended. I don't know why he didn't actually mention that it was dead even since the end of the streak, rather than saying the Cats had been "generally competitive". I bet most Griz fans would be surprised to know that it's 9-9 since 2002. If you asked most of them to guess how the series stands since then, I bet most would say it was maybe 12-6 or 11-7, rather than 9-9. I wondered whether Kimmel just didn't go to the trouble of actually looking up what the record was since then, or if he really did have a Griz bias, and intentionally excluded that from his story. He made sure to point out how big UM's lead is all-time. He also mentioned that MSU had won the last four, but of course almost all fans of either program are well aware of the recent history.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:29 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:55 pm
On Saturday night, MTN news did a segment on past Cat-Griz games, including interviews with Kane Ioane and Shann Shillnger. Of course, Kane talked a lot about the 2002 game when MSU ended "the streak". The segment was hosted by Slim Kimmel, and I thought he did a pretty good job with it overall, but he did make one comment that sorta bugged me. He said something about, since ending the streak in 2002, the Cats had been "generally competitive with the Griz" since then. I readily admit that I'm sometimes overly sensitive regarding perceived Griz bias among the local media in Montana, so maybe I was reading something into Kimmel's comment that he didn't intend. To me, "generally competitive" made it seem like UM still had the upper hand since then, but that it hadn't been too one sided. Of course, it's actually 9-9, in the 18 years since the streak ended. I don't know why he didn't actually mention that it was dead even since the end of the streak, rather than saying the Cats had been "generally competitive". I bet most Griz fans would be surprised to know that it's 9-9 since 2002. If you asked most of them to guess how the series stands since then, I bet most would say it was maybe 12-6 or 11-7, rather than 9-9. I wondered whether Kimmel just didn't go to the trouble of actually looking up what the record was since then, or if he really did have a Griz bias, and intentionally excluded that from his story. He made sure to point out how big UM's lead is all-time. He also mentioned that MSU had won the last four, but of course almost all fans of either program are well aware of the recent history.
UM is 8-9 vs MSU since 2002. They had to forfeit their last five games of the 2011 season due to a variety of NCAA infractions. If you ever seen anything from UM that states otherwise be sure to inform the NCAA as there is a penalty for doing so.

Yes, Kimmel was at a minimum misleading with his comment. Did he mention that UM wasn't generally competitive this past season?

I liked that ROOT mentioned the streak record since both teams joined the Big Sky or NCAA (can't remember which one they referenced) during the game in 2019.

Saying that UM leads 72-41-5 leaves out a lot of context and most fans, even MSU's, aren't well versed in that. Wikipedia does a good job of explaining:
The rivalry began on November 26, 1897 when the two teams played in Bozeman, home of Montana State. Montana prevailed in that game by the score of 18–6. At the time, Montana State was known as Montana State College, while Montana was known as Montana State University. The rivalry is the 31st oldest among active rivalries in all of NCAA Division I, and of those, it is the eleventh oldest west of the Mississippi River. It is also the fourth oldest active rivalry in the FCS and the oldest west of the Mississippi River.

The series has three distinct periods. From 1897 to 1916, Montana State did not belong to a conference, while Montana was in the Northwest Intercollegiate Athletic Association. In addition to Montana, the Northwest Conference included Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Idaho, and Whitman College. At times, the two teams would play twice per year. Early seasons had seven games or less, and one season the teams played just one game. Four of the five ties in the series came during this era. Montana won 12 games to Montana State's 7.

Montana State joined the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) in 1917, and Montana joined the Pacific Coast Conference (today's Pac-12 Conference) in 1924. The RMAC included several teams that later became Mountain West Conference members. When MSU joined the RMAC, it included Colorado, Colorado State, Utah, Utah State, and Brigham Young. When UM joined the PCC, it included Stanford, California, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, and Idaho. The Bobcats were a member of the RMAC, which moved into the NAIA, in 1938 and remained a member through 1956. The Grizzlies were a member of the PCC through the 1949 season before joining the Skyline (a.k.a., Mountain States) Conference, which included Colorado, Utah State, Denver, Utah, Colorado State, Brigham Young, New Mexico and Wyoming from 1951–1961. MSU was independent from 1957–1962 and UM was independent in 1950 and 1962. During this period UM enjoyed a 30–8–1 edge in Cat-Griz games, while MSU shared the NAIA national title in 1956.

Both schools entered the Big Sky Conference as charter members in 1963 with Montana holding a 43–15–2 series lead. Prior to that, UM was in conferences with what are now FBS and Power 5 conference schools, while MSU was either not in a conference or in a NAIA conference, for 30 of the 59 games played. UM holds a 22–5–3 record in those games.

In the first 23 years of the Big Sky Conference, Montana State enjoyed its most successful period in the Cat-Griz rivalry with a 17–6 win-loss record and two national titles, one Division II and one Division I. A new period began in 1986, often known in Montana as "The Streak," in which Montana won sixteen straight games in the series. A few of these games were close, but most of them gave a strong indication that the two football programs were going in very different directions. Montana won two NCAA Division I-AA championships during "The Streak," while Montana State had one season where it failed to win a single game. Montana State finally snapped "The Streak" in 2002, winning at Montana, and the post-Streak record stands at 9–8 in favor of the Bobcats. In the Big Sky era, Montana holds a 30–26 lead. Since both teams joined the NCAA in 1957, UM holds a 32–30 lead.

While UM holds a sizeable lead in the all-time series, Montana State has won more conference championships (20) and more national championships (3). UM has won 18 league titles and two national titles.

Montana was penalized by the NCAA on July 26, 2013 and forced to vacate its last five wins of the 2011 season. One win was against Montana State.
By reading that you can see where UM padded its wins and have a clearer understanding as to why the overall record is what it is and why people should include either the "both in NCAA" record or the "both in BSC" records. The two schools haven't always been on equal playing ground during the series.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:28 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:29 pm
John K wrote:
UM is 8-9 vs MSU since 2002. They had to forfeit their last five games of the 2011 season due to a variety of NCAA infractions. If you ever seen anything from UM that states otherwise be sure to inform the NCAA as there is a penalty for doing so.

Yes, Kimmel was at a minimum misleading with his comment. Did he mention that UM wasn't generally competitive this past season?

I liked that ROOT mentioned the streak record since both teams joined the Big Sky or NCAA (can't remember which one they referenced) during the game in 2019.

Saying that UM leads 72-41-5 leaves out a lot of context and most fans, even MSU's, aren't well versed in that. Wikipedia does a good job of explaining:
The rivalry began on November 26, 1897 when the two teams played in Bozeman, home of Montana State. Montana prevailed in that game by the score of 18–6. At the time, Montana State was known as Montana State College, while Montana was known as Montana State University. The rivalry is the 31st oldest among active rivalries in all of NCAA Division I, and of those, it is the eleventh oldest west of the Mississippi River. It is also the fourth oldest active rivalry in the FCS and the oldest west of the Mississippi River.

The series has three distinct periods. From 1897 to 1916, Montana State did not belong to a conference, while Montana was in the Northwest Intercollegiate Athletic Association. In addition to Montana, the Northwest Conference included Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Idaho, and Whitman College. At times, the two teams would play twice per year. Early seasons had seven games or less, and one season the teams played just one game. Four of the five ties in the series came during this era. Montana won 12 games to Montana State's 7.

Montana State joined the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) in 1917, and Montana joined the Pacific Coast Conference (today's Pac-12 Conference) in 1924. The RMAC included several teams that later became Mountain West Conference members. When MSU joined the RMAC, it included Colorado, Colorado State, Utah, Utah State, and Brigham Young. When UM joined the PCC, it included Stanford, California, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, and Idaho. The Bobcats were a member of the RMAC, which moved into the NAIA, in 1938 and remained a member through 1956. The Grizzlies were a member of the PCC through the 1949 season before joining the Skyline (a.k.a., Mountain States) Conference, which included Colorado, Utah State, Denver, Utah, Colorado State, Brigham Young, New Mexico and Wyoming from 1951–1961. MSU was independent from 1957–1962 and UM was independent in 1950 and 1962. During this period UM enjoyed a 30–8–1 edge in Cat-Griz games, while MSU shared the NAIA national title in 1956.

Both schools entered the Big Sky Conference as charter members in 1963 with Montana holding a 43–15–2 series lead. Prior to that, UM was in conferences with what are now FBS and Power 5 conference schools, while MSU was either not in a conference or in a NAIA conference, for 30 of the 59 games played. UM holds a 22–5–3 record in those games.

In the first 23 years of the Big Sky Conference, Montana State enjoyed its most successful period in the Cat-Griz rivalry with a 17–6 win-loss record and two national titles, one Division II and one Division I. A new period began in 1986, often known in Montana as "The Streak," in which Montana won sixteen straight games in the series. A few of these games were close, but most of them gave a strong indication that the two football programs were going in very different directions. Montana won two NCAA Division I-AA championships during "The Streak," while Montana State had one season where it failed to win a single game. Montana State finally snapped "The Streak" in 2002, winning at Montana, and the post-Streak record stands at 9–8 in favor of the Bobcats. In the Big Sky era, Montana holds a 30–26 lead. Since both teams joined the NCAA in 1957, UM holds a 32–30 lead.

While UM holds a sizeable lead in the all-time series, Montana State has won more conference championships (20) and more national championships (3). UM has won 18 league titles and two national titles.

Montana was penalized by the NCAA on July 26, 2013 and forced to vacate its last five wins of the 2011 season. One win was against Montana State.
By reading that you can see where UM padded its wins and have a clearer understanding as to why the overall record is what it is and why people should include either the "both in NCAA" record or the "both in BSC" records. The two schools haven't always been on equal playing ground during the series.
Thank iaafan. Have seen this a few times but a refresher is always handy..

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:34 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:48 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Yep the game is in Bozeman in 2021 no matter what. UM gets screwed, but in the grand scheme of things, with people getting screwed over one way or another, not being able to watch your squad get pounded by the Cats in your home stadium likely falls pretty low on the list.... :wink:
:lol:

As far as the spring schedule goes, (if it happens), I would be perfectly happy to win just one game.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:19 am

John K wrote:
And in the past 10 years, MSU is up 6-4.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:19 am
John K wrote:
Yep....it's the first time MSU has won a decade since the 70's, when we went 7-3. Regarding 2011, I know that UM had to forfeit several wins that season, including Cat-Griz, but i've never really believed in the whole "vacated" wins thing. That whole concept just doesn't really make sense to me. It's not the same as a forfeit, because those games still count as losses, for the teams they beat. So a game was played, and there was a loser, but there was no winner. Technically, we lost that game, even though the Griz didn't win it. That just sorta defies all logical thinking. I don't care what the official record shows, in my mind they won and we lost. Apparently that's one thing you and I actually agree on, since you stated that we are ahead 6-4 in the last 10 years. Not only that, and I may be wrong about this, but I believe it was determined by whomever decides such things, that the 2011 game would be counted as an MSU loss and a UM win in the official Cat-Griz records, even though according to BSC and NCAA records, it was a loss for us, but not a win for them. The whole thing is very convoluted, which is the reason why I've never bought into the concept of vacated wins.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 pm

John K wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:32 pm
Cataholic wrote:
John K wrote:
Yep....it's the first time MSU has won a decade since the 70's, when we went 7-3. Regarding 2011, I know that UM had to forfeit several wins that season, including Cat-Griz, but i've never really believed in the whole "vacated" wins thing. That whole concept just doesn't really make sense to me. It's not the same as a forfeit, because those games still count as losses, for the teams they beat. So a game was played, and there was a loser, but there was no winner. Technically, we lost that game, even though the Griz didn't win it. That just sorta defies all logical thinking. I don't care what the official record shows, in my mind they won and we lost. Apparently that's one thing you and I actually agree on, since you stated that we are ahead 6-4 in the last 10 years. Not only that, and I may be wrong about this, but I believe it was determined by whomever decides such things, that the 2011 game would be counted as an MSU loss and a UM win in the official Cat-Griz records, even though according to BSC and NCAA records, it was a loss for us, but not a win for them. The whole thing is very convoluted, which is the reason why I've never bought into the concept of vacated wins.
Yeah, it's a bunch of B.S. all the way around. Things need context and very few people give the all time streak context. The main thing to me is who won the last game. Until the next game kicks off, that's the main thing to me. If MSU loses the next game, then I could care less that we won the four prior to that. Football, the game, doesn't even resemble itself from 40 years ago let alone 100 years ago, so it's pointless to get all worked up about all-time series record or since it was NCAA or BSC or the last decade or whatever. It's just something media talks about to fill all the space in their elongated, boring pre-game shows and preview writeups.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:16 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 pm
John K wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:32 pm
Cataholic wrote:
John K wrote:
Yeah, it's a bunch of B.S. all the way around. Things need context and very few people give the all time streak context. The main thing to me is who won the last game. Until the next game kicks off, that's the main thing to me. If MSU loses the next game, then I could care less that we won the four prior to that. Football, the game, doesn't even resemble itself from 40 years ago let alone 100 years ago, so it's pointless to get all worked up about all-time series record or since it was NCAA or BSC or the last decade or whatever. It's just something media talks about to fill all the space in their elongated, boring pre-game shows and preview writeups.
... and fodder for chest beating, mouth breathing griz fanboys who live vicariously through a college football team.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:09 am

When does Spring Camp start? Have those dates been set yet?

Hating the griz since 02.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:01 pm

Serious question. Will the Big Sky really play a spring season? Why? Just for the money? I think the Conference should skip the spring season and start fresh with spring ball followed by a normal 2021 fall season. If the Cats are playing home games in March, of course, I will go and cheer them on. But given the possible risk to the players, the weather, and the possible adverse effects on the Fall 2021 season, I think the spring season is a bad idea.

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:11 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:01 pm
Serious question. Will the Big Sky really play a spring season? Why? Just for the money? I think the Conference should skip the spring season and start fresh with spring ball followed by a normal 2021 fall season. If the Cats are playing home games in March, of course, I will go and cheer them on. But given the possible risk to the players, the weather, and the possible adverse effects on the Fall 2021 season, I think the spring season is a bad idea.
I am in this camp as well. I survived not having Bobcat football this fall...barely... and am more then fine, with all the challenges that present themselves, to just wait to get my fix until next fall.

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Bump.

The Bobcats are scheduled to play their first spring football game on February 27, 2021, at UC Davis, followed by a March 6, 2021 game at Weber State. Are these games really going to take place? Are the Cats going to be ready? When do they open "spring" camp given that the Spring Semester does not start until January 11, 2021?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:20 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:36 pm
Bump.

The Bobcats are scheduled to play their first spring football game on February 27, 2021, at UC Davis, followed by a March 6, 2021 game at Weber State. Are these games really going to take place? Are the Cats going to be ready? When do they open "spring" camp given that the Spring Semester does not start until January 11, 2021?
Pre-season camp usually runs about 4 weeks, so if they're following that it'd be in late January. They probably have some other training before that though.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

autocat

Post by autocat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:25 pm

If you two haven’t noticed there’s been a college football season this fall and four team playoff on January 1st #-o

Are you convinced that there will be no games in February and March :-k

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Is there a drop dead date for deciding if there is a season and if fans are allowed in? I would think the "is there a season" question would have to be answered before the first practice since Choate would not have spring practice until late March if there is no season. As far as fans in the stands I guess you could make that decision 2 weeks prior to the first home game if you wanted. It would be nice for me since I will rent a place in Bozeman or Big Sky for the Spring season so I won't have to go back and forth from MN. Makes it tough to make plans with 2 weeks notice.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 pm

autocat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:25 pm
If you two haven’t noticed there’s been a college football season this fall and four team playoff on January 1st #-o

Are you convinced that there will be no games in February and March :-k
I don't see any upside to playing this Spring. Crowds will be severely limited or prohibited which means both Cats and griz will lose money. Unlike FBS with TV contracts footing the bill, cancellations/delays due to Covid will add even more costs to a money losing endeavor.

Fall camp in January? We have trouble finding decent weather to practice in March. Unless they throw up an indoor practice facility in the next 3 weeks, I don't think the needed preseason practices can effectively happen. I know people will argue that they practice in December in the playoffs, but practices during a season are so different than preseason practices that they can't be compared.

Two months of rest between the end of a Spring season and next Fall camp is not enough for players to recuperate and heal. And everyone agrees that Fall is more important than Spring so what is a coach going to do? Save his starters for the Fall and play a jv like season in the Spring.

Finally, the players were granted and extra year of eligibility so the is no "need" to play in the Spring to give the seniors one last season. Some will opt out of another year in school just to play football and that's ok. Those that want to play will be able to.

I just don't see a Spring season happening.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate