Spring football schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6327
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by catatac » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Might be a dumb question here but for all the Seniors that were set to be done this Fall... obviously they'll be able to play if the do a Spring season but then they're done correct? Someone told me they thought they were all granted another year of eligibility regardless of Spring season or not.


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by coloradocat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:55 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:52 pm
Might be a dumb question here but for all the Seniors that were set to be done this Fall... obviously they'll be able to play if the do a Spring season but then they're done correct? Someone told me they thought they were all granted another year of eligibility regardless of Spring season or not.
Correct, the spring doesn't count whether you play or not. Essentially a free year, eligibility wise.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:57 pm

I hope there is a fall football season. I even pray.



User avatar
BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3490
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:59 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:00 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:55 am
If we have a season, good luck to our second and third stringers! It will basically serve as a training camp to see who makes the fall roster.
Boy, this really got glazed over didn't it?

I don't think we play in the spring, but if we do this is exactly the way i would handle it. This season doesn't count so why hurt starters? Give the young guys a chance to make a meaningful impact on the team, who cares if you lose every game.

I'll still be there in person (when i can get a ticket) to cheer the guys on.
I mean...I think most of the starters are going to give it a go. But any player who had offseason surgery in early or mid-2020 will likely not play (Troy being the biggest star). Also guys like Isaiah Ifanse may just be rested until next fall to give the other RB's room to compete.
I like guys that want to compete, but for a throw away year I just don’t see the benefit. Just hope no one gets hurt. Especially a senior.


I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

blueandgoldblitz
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1206
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:32 am

Even if you win the national championship, everyone will say something to the effect of "Well, it was the covid season. That's not a real National Championship." And they'd have a point. The school can still claim it, but it's still a bastardized national championship...not really worth going all in for unless you think you have a better chance of winning it in the spring than in the fall and I think we have a much better chance of winning it in the fall. Just my opinion.


We could say TG makes the freshman wear pink thongs to every practice and you would say, "I'm so glad he left Missoula he tried that here and it didn't work either. LOL LMAF OMG LOL BAE" and whatever else you fruits over in Missoula say -Hi-Line

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4821
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:39 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:32 am
Even if you win the national championship, everyone will say something to the effect of "Well, it was the covid season. That's not a real National Championship." And they'd have a point. The school can still claim it, but it's still a bastardized national championship...not really worth going all in for unless you think you have a better chance of winning it in the spring than in the fall and I think we have a much better chance of winning it in the fall. Just my opinion.
I agree with that from a fans standpoint like you and me. But I can assure you that whatever team ends up winning, the coaches and players and everyone directly involved won't think any less of a championship. I'd maintain with all the crap going on and everything they all have to overcome, one could make the argument that winning this spring is every bit as difficult as a regular season.

I think it's all moot anyway. Like I've been saying for months, we're going to be worse off or at best just as bad off this spring as we were this fall. If it wasn't prudent playing this fall, there is nothing magically different this spring. Especially considering teams would need to start practicing in about a month and a half. Hell, they're meeting as I type this about going back to phase one! #-o



thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:46 pm

If we win this year, I certainly hope none of our fans denigrates it in any way. We can't control what others think, but we can surely support this team and its support groups. Who cares what others think.


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5815
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:05 pm

Precisely my thoughts as well iltc and thefrank1.



User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6489
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by PapaG » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:31 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:46 pm
If we win this year, I certainly hope none of our fans denigrates it in any way. We can't control what others think, but we can surely support this team and its support groups. Who cares what others think.
Bobcat fans other than a few contrarians won’t denigrate it if they win, bit every other FCS fan base will. Same if any other team wins it other than NDSU. They need to be dethroned in a real season, not in May after a 7 game season or whatever it is.


Greg K.

Cats15
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 966
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:21 am

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by Cats15 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:57 pm

I see that on Twitter MSU is saying that "Football season tickets are automatically rolled to spring 2021 season. If you want a different option, you have until Nov. 12th to make that decision". It doesn't give anymore detail on what other options we have. Does anyone know anything more? I am reading it as the money I put down for the 2020 season and that I did not ask for a refund will be put towards the spring season even though there is only 3 home games. That math doesn't make sense to me, even if all season tickets holders are able to attend all home games. that is a big IF. I see that in Missoula
Spring tickets will be sold separately, deferred tickets will be applied to the Fall 2021 season... This makes more sense to me.



KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3582
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:57 pm
I see that on Twitter MSU is saying that "Football season tickets are automatically rolled to spring 2021 season. If you want a different option, you have until Nov. 12th to make that decision". It doesn't give anymore detail on what other options we have. Does anyone know anything more? I am reading it as the money I put down for the 2020 season and that I did not ask for a refund will be put towards the spring season even though there is only 3 home games. That math doesn't make sense to me, even if all season tickets holders are able to attend all home games. that is a big IF. I see that in Missoula
Spring tickets will be sold separately, deferred tickets will be applied to the Fall 2021 season... This makes more sense to me.
Would make sense to credit three games for the spring season, and roll the cost of the other three against your fall 2021 season tickets.

However you struck on the one big question in all this: what is the designated stadium capacity going to be, and what will the priority be for those tickets? Say, liberally, they allow 50% capacity - say 8,500 people. I suspect it will go along Bobcat Club contribution lines, like other priorities seem to go, but who knows.

I would imagine MSU is already working with Gallatin County Public Health to address the capacity/safety/sanitation questions right now so they can address the capacity question. The rest will follow.


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

User avatar
ChrisBSPN
New Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:35 am

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by ChrisBSPN » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Hey All! Vandal here, RR Cat Cast listener and Big Sky chatter. Just wanted to share what we've done on this and share with you all as i think the Bobcats have got a bad draw on schedule.

Strength of Schedule and predictions
https://www.fcsfansnation.com/stories/2 ... -shake-out
Video of a Big Sky roundtable type talk about schedule (Idaho, Weber, EWU, Montana, N.Colo):

I'm pretty bummed I was looking forward to our matchup this year and a free excuse to visit Bozeman.



User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6489
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:39 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Cats15 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:57 pm
I see that on Twitter MSU is saying that "Football season tickets are automatically rolled to spring 2021 season. If you want a different option, you have until Nov. 12th to make that decision". It doesn't give anymore detail on what other options we have. Does anyone know anything more? I am reading it as the money I put down for the 2020 season and that I did not ask for a refund will be put towards the spring season even though there is only 3 home games. That math doesn't make sense to me, even if all season tickets holders are able to attend all home games. that is a big IF. I see that in Missoula
Spring tickets will be sold separately, deferred tickets will be applied to the Fall 2021 season... This makes more sense to me.
Would make sense to credit three games for the spring season, and roll the cost of the other three against your fall 2021 season tickets.

However you struck on the one big question in all this: what is the designated stadium capacity going to be, and what will the priority be for those tickets? Say, liberally, they allow 50% capacity - say 8,500 people. I suspect it will go along Bobcat Club contribution lines, like other priorities seem to go, but who knows.

I would imagine MSU is already working with Gallatin County Public Health to address the capacity/safety/sanitation questions right now so they can address the capacity question. The rest will follow.
Will be lucky to get 3000 season ticket holders wanting to re-up for three meaningless games in the spring.

It’s still nuts that they think this is a good idea.


Greg K.

Bocephus
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 am

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by Bocephus » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:30 pm

I think they should skip it and get ready for fall with full stadiums. Vaccines are looking hopeful and things could be pretty normal next fall.

This seems like too much of a risk for player safety.



KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3582
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:57 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:39 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Cats15 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:57 pm
I see that on Twitter MSU is saying that "Football season tickets are automatically rolled to spring 2021 season. If you want a different option, you have until Nov. 12th to make that decision". It doesn't give anymore detail on what other options we have. Does anyone know anything more? I am reading it as the money I put down for the 2020 season and that I did not ask for a refund will be put towards the spring season even though there is only 3 home games. That math doesn't make sense to me, even if all season tickets holders are able to attend all home games. that is a big IF. I see that in Missoula
Spring tickets will be sold separately, deferred tickets will be applied to the Fall 2021 season... This makes more sense to me.
Would make sense to credit three games for the spring season, and roll the cost of the other three against your fall 2021 season tickets.

However you struck on the one big question in all this: what is the designated stadium capacity going to be, and what will the priority be for those tickets? Say, liberally, they allow 50% capacity - say 8,500 people. I suspect it will go along Bobcat Club contribution lines, like other priorities seem to go, but who knows.

I would imagine MSU is already working with Gallatin County Public Health to address the capacity/safety/sanitation questions right now so they can address the capacity question. The rest will follow.
Will be lucky to get 3000 season ticket holders wanting to re-up for three meaningless games in the spring.

It’s still nuts that they think this is a good idea.
I think you're underestimating. I'd wager most season ticket holders have, on average, 3 tickets. I have 4 currently. They'd easily find 1,000 households to re-up for a 3 game spring. I know I will in a hot second. Whether there's 1,000 - 3,000 - 8,000 fans allowed for games, they'll have to restrict who has access to tickets guaranteed.

Whether it's a good idea or a poor idea? Don't know, and it's way out of my control either way. I do know if there's a spring season, I'll be there (assuming I can get my tickets!!!)


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

CodyCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Cody, WY

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by CodyCat » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:16 am

Cats15 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:57 pm
I see that on Twitter MSU is saying that "Football season tickets are automatically rolled to spring 2021 season. If you want a different option, you have until Nov. 12th to make that decision". It doesn't give anymore detail on what other options we have. Does anyone know anything more? I am reading it as the money I put down for the 2020 season and that I did not ask for a refund will be put towards the spring season even though there is only 3 home games. That math doesn't make sense to me, even if all season tickets holders are able to attend all home games. that is a big IF. I see that in Missoula
Spring tickets will be sold separately, deferred tickets will be applied to the Fall 2021 season... This makes more sense to me.
Has anybody received anything in their email or mailbox about this? I have not and do not want to miss an opportunity at the whatever the options are.

@BethanyCordell Do you have any insight on Season Tickets?


Username was changed recently. Formerly user btribby

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8824
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:16 am
Cats15 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:57 pm
I see that on Twitter MSU is saying that "Football season tickets are automatically rolled to spring 2021 season. If you want a different option, you have until Nov. 12th to make that decision". It doesn't give anymore detail on what other options we have. Does anyone know anything more? I am reading it as the money I put down for the 2020 season and that I did not ask for a refund will be put towards the spring season even though there is only 3 home games. That math doesn't make sense to me, even if all season tickets holders are able to attend all home games. that is a big IF. I see that in Missoula
Spring tickets will be sold separately, deferred tickets will be applied to the Fall 2021 season... This makes more sense to me.
Has anybody received anything in their email or mailbox about this? I have not and do not want to miss an opportunity at the whatever the options are.

@BethanyCordell Do you have any insight on Season Tickets?
This is the email that was sent out last week to season ticket holders after the schedule was announced in case some didn’t see it (emphasized/underlined sectioned by me as they address the specific questions asked by above posters):
Bobcat Football Season Tickets: One More Week To Request Deferral or Refund


The Big Sky Conference has announced the spring 2021 schedule. With the games now set, the deadline for a decision on your fall 2020 season ticket payment(s) has been officially set for Thursday, November 12. You’ll notice three home games on the schedule this fall; any pro-rated partial refunds will be issued at the conclusion of the season.

Bobcat Athletics relies heavily on the support of you- our season ticket holders and athletic donors- to provide support to all 350+ of our student-athletes. Our primary goal right now is to reduce the risk of our student-athletes receiving diminished support and opportunities to be successful. It’s important to note that Bobcat Athletics remains fiscally responsible for the educational support including scholarships, housing and wellness expenses for our student-athletes… regardless of what this year’s competition seasons look like.

Amongst the out-of-pocket expenses that we'll incur this year are $2M in scholarships (including tuition, fees, book, room and board), $600K in medical spending and insurance, and another half a million dollars in food and nutrition. Simply put- we need your help. The simplest way for you to make an impact is to keep your season tickets for the spring 2021 season.

All payments previously made by football season ticket holders for the 2020 season- including ticket payment and any applicable required seat donation- are automatically applied to the upcoming spring season, and double priority points allocated to your Bobcat Club Annual Scholarship account.

In order to accommodate the different financial situations of our fans, we will also offer the option to defer payment to the fall 2021 season or to request full or partial refunds. Any requests for a full or partial refund must be made on the form below and received by November 12. Refunds will take 6-8 weeks to process from the time of the request.


(Reminder- no need to submit form if you would like to keep your tickets for the spring of 2021)

If reduced capacity or reduced number of home games comes into play this spring, account balances will be assessed at the conclusion of the season. It is important to note that current season ticket holders (not including those who request a refund or deferment) will be given priority for seats should we be required by local and state health officials to reduce capacity. We do not yet know how tailgating and parking will be affected, but will release information to you once we do.

We appreciate your patience, understanding and continued support as we navigate the complicated scenarios around supporting our student-athletes during this time, and we understand that each of our fans are affected by the pandemic differently. If your financial situation allows, please consider making an additional gift to our Bobcat Club Annual Scholarship Fund in support of our student-athletes- it’s more important now than ever. We urge you to continue to ‘Back the Cats’ during this time of uncertainty.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to a member of our team, listed below. We also encourage you to visit our FAQ's page for the most up-to-date information, updated as we continue to learn more.


Casey Fox, Senior Associate Athletic Director
Casey.fox2@msubobcats.com

Bethany Cordell, Associate Athletic Director
bcordell@msubobcats.com

Michelle Cook, Director of Ticketing
Michelle.cook1@montana.edu

Rick Droski, Assistant Director of Ticketing
Richard.Droski@montana.edu

Rainey Peuse, Assistant Director of Development
rainey.peuse@msubobcats.com


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:53 pm

So I haven’t been on here much these last few months, so I’m sure I’ve missed some talk here and there, I see a little bit a few posts above, but am I in the minority here in the fact that the spring season just doesn’t seem like the best idea and doesn’t really get me too excited?

Of course if they do play I’ll watch the games and cheer them on, but a spring season in Montana with a real fall season coming just a few months later just seems short sighted.

Starting practice in late Jan/early Feb in Bozeman, Missoula, Cheney, Greeley, etc without indoor practice facilities just seems like a bad idea.

If they do play I’d put money on the fact that they’ll focus primarily on 2nd,3rd, 4th stringers to build depth and get experience. You won’t see many coaches risking their star players to injury for a shortened spring season when the fall 2021 season should be close to back to normal.
I have a feeling it’ll be the equivalent of NFL preseason games as far as quality goes, only the games will actually count.

Maybe I’m being a pessimist, but I wouldn’t be upset to see it scrapped and just get ready for fall 2021.

Am I crazy, or is that more of the general thought out there?



Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8493
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm




onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1807
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:53 pm
So I haven’t been on here much these last few months, so I’m sure I’ve missed some talk here and there, I see a little bit a few posts above, but am I in the minority here in the fact that the spring season just doesn’t seem like the best idea and doesn’t really get me too excited?

Of course if they do play I’ll watch the games and cheer them on, but a spring season in Montana with a real fall season coming just a few months later just seems short sighted.

Starting practice in late Jan/early Feb in Bozeman, Missoula, Cheney, Greeley, etc without indoor practice facilities just seems like a bad idea.

If they do play I’d put money on the fact that they’ll focus primarily on 2nd,3rd, 4th stringers to build depth and get experience. You won’t see many coaches risking their star players to injury for a shortened spring season when the fall 2021 season should be close to back to normal.
I have a feeling it’ll be the equivalent of NFL preseason games as far as quality goes, only the games will actually count.

Maybe I’m being a pessimist, but I wouldn’t be upset to see it scrapped and just get ready for fall 2021.

Am I crazy, or is that more of the general thought out there?
I think its pretty mixed. The logistics alone of clearing snow out of WaGriz or Bobcat Stadium blow my mind, to say nothing of practicing outside in February. And, obviously, the injury danger worries a lot of fans.

You certainly aren't alone in your thoughts.



Post Reply