Page 3 of 6

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 am
by Bobcat4Ever
One of the big differences between running basketball and football under covid is the cost of testing. Expensive for basketball, monstrous for football. Didn’t I see estimates of over $500,000 for a season of football? Choate had a lot to say about this early on. And the total for spring + fall football is even worse. Add in some number of playoff games and you are talking real money here. No school wants to say they cannot afford it. It’s wiser to say it’s a safety decision. I’d be very surprised if other teams do not join Sacramento.

Let’s just scratch this season, put everyone back on track for next fall, and hope that’s possible. Meanwhile the players can dig into their studies, and as Coach Choate said, have the experience of being “typical” college students for a year. Might be a life-improving “study gap” year for some. Yes, there’s going to be a surplus of high school players which may create a ripple-down effect — there might be some really strong NAIA teams for a few years. Ultimately it’s the less capable players that will get pushed off the bottom end of the ladder.

One ‘Cat’s opinion.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 am
by iaafan
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 am
One of the big differences between running basketball and football under covid is the cost of testing. Expensive for basketball, monstrous for football. Didn’t I see estimates of over $500,000 for a season of football? Choate had a lot to say about this early on. And the total for spring + fall football is even worse. Add in some number of playoff games and you are talking real money here. No school wants to say they cannot afford it. It’s wiser to say it’s a safety decision. I’d be very surprised if other teams do not join Sacramento.

Let’s just scratch this season, put everyone back on track for next fall, and hope that’s possible. Meanwhile the players can dig into their studies, and as Coach Choate said, have the experience of being “typical” college students for a year. Might be a life-improving “study gap” year for some. Yes, there’s going to be a surplus of high school players which may create a ripple-down effect — there might be some really strong NAIA teams for a few years. Ultimately it’s the less capable players that will get pushed off the bottom end of the ladder.

One ‘Cat’s opinion.
I really like the realism in this post. Thanks. It probably is for the best, for some of reasons you gave, but at the same time if there is no harm in playing 8 games, and the players want it, then why not? It doesn’t look like very many teams are opting out. If the BSC has at least 9 teams willing to play and there isn’t a strong reason not to AND the players want to play, then what’s the harm? I haven’t seen a strong health argument against playing yet. I’m all ears tho.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
by ilovethecats
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 am
by iaafan
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^
Not hard to figure who your snarky commentary is directed at and I understand your viewpoint based on what you’re assuming my take is.

If Covid gets really bad between now and whenever they start, I’ll leave it to the public health professionals to make the call. My statements here are assuming things get better, there’s a vaccine. Sorry for rankling your feathers. I should’ve spelled that out to eliminate any angst it might cause.

If the coaches feel that way, then by all means they should say so. It leaves me wondering if the administrators have issued a gag order.

I’ve yet to see the evidence showing that the players are at definite risk of injury by playing 8 (possibly 1-4 more for some) games through May, then starting practice for the next season two months later. If there’s a study or some solid evidence that’s case, then I agree they shouldn’t play.

I like that people have the best interests of the players whether it’s regarding overuse injuries, Covid or any other matter.

I hope this helps you understand where I’m coming from.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am
by 91catAlum
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 am
One of the big differences between running basketball and football under covid is the cost of testing. Expensive for basketball, monstrous for football. Didn’t I see estimates of over $500,000 for a season of football? Choate had a lot to say about this early on. And the total for spring + fall football is even worse. Add in some number of playoff games and you are talking real money here. No school wants to say they cannot afford it. It’s wiser to say it’s a safety decision. I’d be very surprised if other teams do not join Sacramento.

Let’s just scratch this season, put everyone back on track for next fall, and hope that’s possible. Meanwhile the players can dig into their studies, and as Coach Choate said, have the experience of being “typical” college students for a year. Might be a life-improving “study gap” year for some. Yes, there’s going to be a surplus of high school players which may create a ripple-down effect — there might be some really strong NAIA teams for a few years. Ultimately it’s the less capable players that will get pushed off the bottom end of the ladder.

One ‘Cat’s opinion.
You are forgetting the real cost of paying 63 scholarships for the football team, most out-of-state which costs 3x as much, without any football ticket sales and much-reduced bobcat club donations. Those expenses are real whether we play football or not. Not to mention coaches salaries, etc.
I haven't run exact numbers but I'm sure its much more expensive to not have football than it is to have football and pay for testing. One single home game is worth $500,000 just in ticket sales.
I'm not saying we should do it necessarily, i'm just saying that money/cost is not a reason to cancel football. Its a reason to have football.

The reasons to NOT have a spring season are the quick turn-around to Fall 2021, as well as not having an indoor practice facility and having to start camp in February.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am
by ilovethecats
iaafan wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^
Not hard to figure who your snarky commentary is directed at and I understand your viewpoint based on what you’re assuming my take is.

If Covid gets really bad between now and whenever they start, I’ll leave it to the public health professionals to make the call. My statements here are assuming things get better, there’s a vaccine. Sorry for rankling your feathers. I should’ve spelled that out to eliminate any angst it might cause.

If the coaches feel that way, then by all means they should say so. It leaves me wondering if the administrators have issued a gag order.

I’ve yet to see the evidence showing that the players are at definite risk of injury by playing 8 (possibly 1-4 more for some) games through May, then starting practice for the next season two months later. If there’s a study or some solid evidence that’s case, then I agree they shouldn’t play.

I like that people have the best interests of the players whether it’s regarding overuse injuries, Covid or any other matter.

I hope this helps you understand where I’m coming from.
If you feel my opinion relates to you that is not my issue. It likely relates to a ton of people who feel like the virus was far too big of a risk to the players but a spring season before a fall season poses no risk. I highly disagree and always have.

My opinion has ALWAYS been that if we are good enough to play football this spring, starting this winter, with where I BELIEVE will be in terms of the virus....we could have played football this fall. I don't expect everyone to agree, and that's ok. But I still think people have far too much hope for what things are going to look like in the next 2-3 months. Keep in mind, these comments are from a guy who thinks they could and should have played this fall, and had fans been allowed I would have been there day one.

My whole point, and not directed at you, is that it's hilarious to me that we'll pretend to REALLY care about player safety in terms of a virus that has almost no chance of effecting them at all, but will also pretend there is no risk playing 6-9 games in the spring before playing another 10+ in the fall. And I have heard coaches say the exact same thing. If we're so quick to assume everything our health officials decide for the virus is gospel....you'd think we'd give coaches the same credit and assume that if they feel there might be extra risk playing spring and then fall....they just might be on to something.

Apologies if you thought my post was directed at you. And I don't think it was snarky. I just don't think it's very consistent in terms of what is best and safest for our athletes is all.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:03 am
by catatac
iaafan wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^
Not hard to figure who your snarky commentary is directed at and I understand your viewpoint based on what you’re assuming my take is.

If Covid gets really bad between now and whenever they start, I’ll leave it to the public health professionals to make the call. My statements here are assuming things get better, there’s a vaccine. Sorry for rankling your feathers. I should’ve spelled that out to eliminate any angst it might cause.

If the coaches feel that way, then by all means they should say so. It leaves me wondering if the administrators have issued a gag order.

I’ve yet to see the evidence showing that the players are at definite risk of injury by playing 8 (possibly 1-4 more for some) games through May, then starting practice for the next season two months later. If there’s a study or some solid evidence that’s case, then I agree they shouldn’t play.

I like that people have the best interests of the players whether it’s regarding overuse injuries, Covid or any other matter.

I hope this helps you understand where I’m coming from.
I don't think most people realize just how badly these players get beat up during a normal season... it's brutal. Also, I've seen you and others throwing numbers out there that aren't correct. From what I read, the plan for this ridiculous Spring season would be an 8 game schedule then a 16 team playoff? Last year I think the Bobcats played what, 14 games? So of course if there were a Spring season I assume we'd be hoping for them to play 11 games there... that's TWENTY FIVE GAMES in a calendar year... and what would that be, maybe a hundred practices? Talk about beating the -----out of these kids. The ONLY way I'd get behind a Spring season is if as someone suggested above, it was a rookie season where only the backups played.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:07 am
by ilovethecats
catatac wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:03 am
iaafan wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^
Not hard to figure who your snarky commentary is directed at and I understand your viewpoint based on what you’re assuming my take is.

If Covid gets really bad between now and whenever they start, I’ll leave it to the public health professionals to make the call. My statements here are assuming things get better, there’s a vaccine. Sorry for rankling your feathers. I should’ve spelled that out to eliminate any angst it might cause.

If the coaches feel that way, then by all means they should say so. It leaves me wondering if the administrators have issued a gag order.

I’ve yet to see the evidence showing that the players are at definite risk of injury by playing 8 (possibly 1-4 more for some) games through May, then starting practice for the next season two months later. If there’s a study or some solid evidence that’s case, then I agree they shouldn’t play.

I like that people have the best interests of the players whether it’s regarding overuse injuries, Covid or any other matter.

I hope this helps you understand where I’m coming from.
I don't think most people realize just how badly these players get beat up during a normal season... it's brutal. Also, I've seen you and others throwing numbers out there that aren't correct. From what I read, the plan for this ridiculous Spring season would be an 8 game schedule then a 16 team playoff? Last year I think the Bobcats played what, 14 games? So of course if there were a Spring season I assume we'd be hoping for them to play 11 games there... that's TWENTY FIVE GAMES in a calendar year... and what would that be, maybe a hundred practices? Talk about beating the -----out of these kids. The ONLY way I'd get behind a Spring season is if as someone suggested above, it was a rookie season where only the backups played.
This seems to be the opinion of many coaches as well. I think the Big Sky decided on a 6-game season, but your post is still valid. It's a crap-ton of games for good programs in addition to practices.

I think that you are spot on in saying you don't think we casual fans have any ideas how beat these guys get. I never played so can't speak to that personally but I'm friends with many former players and they seem to agree a spring season could just be brutal for the players.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:18 am
by Montanabob
This seems to be the opinion of many coaches as well. I think the Big Sky decided on a 6-game season, but your post is still valid. It's a crap-ton of games for good programs in addition to practices.


Someone better get the conference championship tiebreaker rules out and look at 12 teams with at least five teams 5-1 and see who the winner will be. 6-0 or you are out of the playoffs.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:26 am
by ilovethecats
Montanabob wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:18 am


Someone better get the conference championship tiebreaker rules out and look at 12 teams with at least five teams 5-1 and see who the winner will be. 6-0 or you are out of the playoffs.
I agree.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:47 am
by BleedingBLue
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 am
One of the big differences between running basketball and football under covid is the cost of testing. Expensive for basketball, monstrous for football. Didn’t I see estimates of over $500,000 for a season of football? Choate had a lot to say about this early on. And the total for spring + fall football is even worse. Add in some number of playoff games and you are talking real money here. No school wants to say they cannot afford it. It’s wiser to say it’s a safety decision. I’d be very surprised if other teams do not join Sacramento.

Let’s just scratch this season, put everyone back on track for next fall, and hope that’s possible. Meanwhile the players can dig into their studies, and as Coach Choate said, have the experience of being “typical” college students for a year. Might be a life-improving “study gap” year for some. Yes, there’s going to be a surplus of high school players which may create a ripple-down effect — there might be some really strong NAIA teams for a few years. Ultimately it’s the less capable players that will get pushed off the bottom end of the ladder.

One ‘Cat’s opinion.
You are forgetting the real cost of paying 63 scholarships for the football team, most out-of-state which costs 3x as much, without any football ticket sales and much-reduced bobcat club donations. Those expenses are real whether we play football or not. Not to mention coaches salaries, etc.
I haven't run exact numbers but I'm sure its much more expensive to not have football than it is to have football and pay for testing. One single home game is worth $500,000 just in ticket sales.
I'm not saying we should do it necessarily, i'm just saying that money/cost is not a reason to cancel football. Its a reason to have football.

The reasons to NOT have a spring season are the quick turn-around to Fall 2021, as well as not having an indoor practice facility and having to start camp in February.
Are you thinking there will be fans for the spring games? If so do you think there will be enough to even come close to making a dent in the money needed to fund scholarships, pay salaries etc? It'll be a guaranteed 3 games, and maybe 10k fans because I doubt they will be allowed to sell to capacity.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:28 am
by RationalGriz
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:47 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 am
One of the big differences between running basketball and football under covid is the cost of testing. Expensive for basketball, monstrous for football. Didn’t I see estimates of over $500,000 for a season of football? Choate had a lot to say about this early on. And the total for spring + fall football is even worse. Add in some number of playoff games and you are talking real money here. No school wants to say they cannot afford it. It’s wiser to say it’s a safety decision. I’d be very surprised if other teams do not join Sacramento.

Let’s just scratch this season, put everyone back on track for next fall, and hope that’s possible. Meanwhile the players can dig into their studies, and as Coach Choate said, have the experience of being “typical” college students for a year. Might be a life-improving “study gap” year for some. Yes, there’s going to be a surplus of high school players which may create a ripple-down effect — there might be some really strong NAIA teams for a few years. Ultimately it’s the less capable players that will get pushed off the bottom end of the ladder.

One ‘Cat’s opinion.
You are forgetting the real cost of paying 63 scholarships for the football team, most out-of-state which costs 3x as much, without any football ticket sales and much-reduced bobcat club donations. Those expenses are real whether we play football or not. Not to mention coaches salaries, etc.
I haven't run exact numbers but I'm sure its much more expensive to not have football than it is to have football and pay for testing. One single home game is worth $500,000 just in ticket sales.
I'm not saying we should do it necessarily, i'm just saying that money/cost is not a reason to cancel football. Its a reason to have football.

The reasons to NOT have a spring season are the quick turn-around to Fall 2021, as well as not having an indoor practice facility and having to start camp in February.
Are you thinking there will be fans for the spring games? If so do you think there will be enough to even come close to making a dent in the money needed to fund scholarships, pay salaries etc? It'll be a guaranteed 3 games, and maybe 10k fans because I doubt they will be allowed to sell to capacity.
Less state money is a huge factor also. Schools are already tied to the sunken costs and I don't think many want to add to that amount because they have no idea how long it will take to dig out from this hole. I will still be surprised if teams like PSU, UNC, etc make a go of it in the Spring.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:58 pm
by onceacat
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^
Straw man, meet Red Herring.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 pm
by ilovethecats
onceacat wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^
Straw man, meet Red Herring.
Why? Because I think there is more risk involved with a spring season right before a fall season? Because I think this risk to college students is far greater than Covids risk to college students? Or that I find it funny that some people who are so fearful of the damage Covid could do don't seem all that concerned about the damage that a spring season before a fall season could do to a college athlete? :-k

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 pm
by Helcat72
I can attest to how brutal the game is. I flew down to SLO with one of Cliff's teams back in the 90's. They put the Bobcat fans directly behind the team on old low bleachers so we were about 20 feet away from them. I couldn't believe the groaning, screaming, hurting and crying I heard coming from the bench. It was like a Mash unit with trainers doing triage administering to the most injured. I can see why players need 6 months to recover from a whole season of that! I agree we should cancel this spring season. Most of our first line players wouldn't play anyhow, and what fans would take a chance on spreading the virus? Just getting it is the tip of the iceberg. Spreading it just makes total obliteration of it a longer way off.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:43 pm
by iaafan
Wow!! I had no idea the season is so brutal. Thanks for the information. I agree no spring season. Time to start considering less games and decreasing playoff size. I think a 9 game season with 8 team playoffs.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:24 pm
by seataccat
onceacat wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^
Straw man, meet Red Herring.
Haha, yep.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:41 pm
by ragucat
The spring may be the last opportunity for some of these players to play college ball. Some will graduate and be ready to move on, some will unfortunately be cut because the coaches will have to make decisions who stays and who has to go. A little different for next fall as there is one more class in the mix and the same amount of spots unless something changes in that regard but eventually we will have to be back to where we were in amount of players carried.

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:40 pm
by ilovethecats
seataccat wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:24 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 am
Oh man. This post is DRIPPING with irony. For months I have heard people claim Corona the scariest thing in history. Fearing millions would die. Being totally fine with lockdowns and business closures. Having no problems with many of those businesses never opening again. Supporting no college sports because there isn't a vaccine, despite the fact these kids have a better chance of being struck by lightning than becoming severely ill from the Corona. Turning a blind eye to our kids getting absolutely screwed in their education. After all...it's about SAFETY! Doing what you can to protect others. Making "tiny" sacrifices to save mankind.

But when people say they don't think playing a spring "season" a few months before a full fall season is in the best interest of the players....NOW all of a sudden they are young, super fit kids able to bounce back with no possible consequences! NOW they are comparable to full blown adult professional athletes! It was FAR too dangerous for these guys to play amidst a pandemic of the likes we've never seen, but in a couple months, despite cases being higher than they have ever been, and the fact we still don't have a vaccine, these kids will be fine playing spring ball. No issues. This is honestly fantastic stuff.

All I know is some members of the coaching staff are VERY against a spring season for the very fact they don't think it's in the best interest of the kids. These are the guys that are with these kids more than the kids are with their parents. They know these young men. They care about these young men. And they hate the idea of a spring "season".

I don't know if they will play or not. A six game season would be great for me as a fan, but very difficult for the staff and players. You lose 1 game you're probably out of the playoffs. Once a team loses they'll likely not even play starters. It wouldn't make sense. But if they decide to play I'll trust them and support them. But I can't get over the fact that some are acting like there is no risk whatsoever playing spring ball right before fall ball, and at the same time supporting every possible corona precaution because it "protects others". :lol: =D^
Straw man, meet Red Herring.
Haha, yep.
Again......

Why? Because I think there is more risk involved with a spring season right before a fall season? Because I think this risk to college students is far greater than Covids risk to college students? Or that I find it funny that some people who are so fearful of the damage Covid could do don't seem all that concerned about the damage that a spring season before a fall season could do to a college athlete? :-k

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:55 am
by Hawks86
Well, I believe in the soul... the c$$k...the pu!!y... the small of a woman's back... the hangin' curveball... high fiber... good scotch... that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent overrated crap... I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a Constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve, and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days.